TESTERS WANTED! ×

Line on ball violates Rules of Golf?

dwburger

I know many players use a line on their ball to show the starting line for a putt.  I believe this violates the Rules of Golf for the following two reasons:

1. I believe having a line on the ball violates Rule 8-2b. The line on the ball is present when the stroke is taken and, by definition, it's a mark.

From the Rules of Golf:

"8-2. Indicating Line of Play

b. On the Putting Green

When the player's ball is on the putting green, the line of putt may be indicated before, but not during, the stroke by the player, his partner or either of their caddies; in doing so the putting green must not be touched. A mark must not be placed anywhere for the purpose of indicating a line of putt."

2. Lining up putts this way definitely slows down the game.  How many times have we seen pros mark the ball, adjust the line on the ball, step back to take a look and then re-mark the ball so they can re-align?  That's a common occurrence and it's often imitated by amateurs. I don't know whether this technique actually results in more putts made which, I suppose, could speed up play, but I doubt it, especially at the amateur level.

Is there another side to this issue that I'm not seeing?  I look forward to other, constructive viewpoints.

Dave

I know many players use a line on their ball to show the starting line for a putt. I believe this violates the Rules of Golf for the following two reasons:

1. I believe having a line on the ball violates Rule 8-2b. The line on the ball is present when the stroke is taken and, by definition, it's a mark.

From the Rules of Golf:

b. On the Putting Green

When the player's ball is on the putting green, the line of putt may be indicated before, but not during, the stroke by the player, his partner or either of their caddies; in doing so the putting green must not be touched. A mark must not be placed anywhere for the purpose of indicating a line of putt."

2. Lining up putts this way definitely slows down the game. How many times have we seen pros mark the ball, adjust the line on the ball, step back to take a look and then re-mark the ball so they can re-align? That's a common occurrence and it's often imitated by amateurs. I don't know whether this technique actually results in more putts made which, I suppose, could speed up play, but I doubt it, especially at the amateur level.

Is there another side to this issue that I'm not seeing? I look forward to other, constructive viewpoints.

Dave

I dont put a line on my ball but this rule is about putting a mark on the putting surface not on the ball.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

I know many players use a line on their ball to show the starting line for a putt.  I believe this violates the Rules of Golf for the following two reasons:

From the Rules of Golf:

b. On the Putting Green

2. Lining up putts this way definitely slows down the game.  How many times have we seen pros mark the ball, adjust the line on the ball, step back to take a look and then re-mark the ball so they can re-align?  That's a common occurrence and it's often imitated by amateurs. I don't know whether this technique actually results in more putts made which, I suppose, could speed up play, but I doubt it, especially at the amateur level.

Is there another side to this issue that I'm not seeing?  I look forward to other, constructive viewpoints.

Dave

you are misinterpreting the rule. You cannot put a mark or indication on the green, but you can put any marks you want on your ball. Nice try ;)

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

This is purely about marking the putting surface and not the ball. A caddie or in case of team play your playing partner can point to a spot to putt to or aim at but they can't touch that spot.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I tried a line...hated the line......but have seen others use it quite well....I was stupid enough to take a brand new dozen of balls...and line everyone with a sharpie....use them twice..hated it...gave the dozen to my 14 year old nephew.....he seems quite pleased with the new dozen of balls for free...line for him wasn't an issue..the price was!!!! As for the rules...the line on the ball is perfectly legal and some ball manufacturers actually have arrows or other markings already on the ball.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

I tried a line...hated the line......but have seen others use it quite well....I was stupid enough to take a brand new dozen of balls...and line everyone with a sharpie....use them twice..hated it...gave the dozen to my 14 year old nephew.....he seems quite pleased with the new dozen of balls for free...line for him wasn't an issue..the price was!!!! As for the rules...the line on the ball is perfectly legal and some ball manufacturers actually have arrows or other markings already on the ball.

Right most manufacturers, titleist for sure, have been printing the ball type as one line of text with arrows on either side. Been better part of a decade.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

When I was in Highschool, I graduated in 1989, some golfers were using the logo on the ball to help them in aligning their put. I personally did not but it had nothing to do with the rules. I just did not do it.

I have no idea when this started but I think it has been around for a long time. Even a linear name without a line could be used to align the ball. I think that is what others used years ago.

I got some new Titleist balls and noticed they had an alignment arrow that I assumed was for putting.

Driver Taylor Made M2 Ping G 3 wood 14.5 loftPing G hybrid 19Hogan Radial 3-PW(forged circa 1989)Evnroll ER2, Golf bag, old and worn out circa 1989

It is a slow method of lining up a putt, but I think it can be employed by amateurs as long as they make it a point to speed up the process. I avoided this method the the plague due to how long it seemed to take a few friends who use it; however, I desperately needed a solution to the problems I was having with eye-dominance and alignment and tried it out at the suggestion of an instructor. I've found you basically just have to be constantly focused on preparing your putt when you're on the green. Have your line mentally ready, and when your mark is out of the way of others get your ball on the ground while someone else is preparing your putt. Then when it is your turn you can just make that last second adjustment if need be then fire away. 

Lefty in the Mitten State currently carrying: TM '17 M2 9.5  w/ Fujikura Pro XLR8 Â· Exotics EX10 15° w/ GD Tour AD Stiff ·  :cobra-small: F7 HY @ 20° ·   :cobra-small:   Forged Tec Black 5i-AW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 ·  :callaway-small:  MD2 56°+ 60° ·  :nike-small:  Method B2-01 · Kirkland Signature · Clicgear 2.0 · Course photo albums: Boyne Highlands + Bay Harbor (Michigan) | Wailea Gold & Emerald (Maui) | Forest Dunes (Michigan)

From the Rules of Golf:

b. On the Putting Green

Dave

Strange that you are a 5 and you would think that a line on a ball is a violation of the rule.

IMHO, No there is not an issue that you are not seeing and I'm scratching my head on this one.

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5&deg - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: mini 1.5 14° - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: XR OS 16 Hybrid (3-5) - Fubuki AT 55/60 regular shafts

:callaway-small: Apex (6-PW) - Recoil 65 F3 regular shafts 1°flat

:callaway-small: MD4 Tour Chrome wedges (50W/54S/58C) - S200 1°flat

:scotty-small: Futura X 34" - Superstroke Slim 3.0

I do not look at the ball when putting; I look at the hole.  I need a line on the ball to putt because I have to line up the ball to my intended line on the green then line my putter up to that line on the ball.  My wife hates the line on the ball, and prefers to see nothing on the ball when she putts.  Personal choice.  It is not against the rules.

If the line bothered you so much, why not position the ball on the green so you can't see it rather than giving those expensive balls away?  That's what my wife does when we play Chapman.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I do not look at the ball when putting; I look at the hole.  I need a line on the ball to putt because I have to line up the ball to my intended line on the green then line my putter up to that line on the ball.  My wife hates the line on the ball, and prefers to see nothing on the ball when she putts.  Personal choice.  It is not against the rules.

If the line bothered you so much, why not position the ball on the green so you can't see it rather than giving those expensive balls away?  That's what my wife does when we play Chapman.

Wasn't like I through those balls in the trash...i gave them to my nephew.....

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

Guys- chill out- he was asking a question.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Guys- chill out- he was asking a question.

I'm not so sure. He joined to post this? And made an assertion that is easy to refute and would send everyone running off for the rules? Seems like a classic troll

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Watching golf I always see a line on the golfballs when they do a closeup. Some are more prominent than others so I guess I'm safe and not a rules violator. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

We shall see. Maybe he (like many of us) doesn't quite understand the rules, and wanted clarification on something that was bothering him- either way, a little benefit of the doubt should be warranted here, given the nature of this forum i.e.- not the other sites.

WITB: 

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

There was a small study done on putting results between balls with a line used for aim, and balls with no line. Better results were shown with no line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Just musing out loud .. one could guess it _is_ possible that a player adding a line to the ball could be construed as either... modifying their equipment, or using an alignment aid during play......

Anyway, I do use a line on the ball - not only when putting but also on the tee. And I try to play ready golf and keep moving along (I get anxious when the group in front of me each spend a full minute .. or more .. over each of three or FOUR putts....).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I always used to get distracted or misalign the line on balls, so I would turn the ball to show plain white, but after watching a video from another thread here I'm going to give the line another shot.

WITB: 

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

I would think the line might speed up play......it would give the player, who likes the line, a guide and let him proceed. Instead of looking a a blank white ball, and be unsure on his line. As, I said I do not use the line, tried it, didn't like and just do it old school, and trust my instincts. Not saying it makes me a good putter or bad putter it is just what I'm comfortable with.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I would think the line might speed up play......it would give the player, who likes the line, a guide and let him proceed. Instead of looking a a blank white ball, and be unsure on his line. As, I said I do not use the line, tried it, didn't like and just do it old school, and trust my instincts. Not saying it makes me a good putter or bad putter it is just what I'm comfortable with.

One would think the help of an alignment aid would speed up play but I've seen far to many spend more time trying to get the alignment right and take longer than necessary. From what I've seen some golfers aren't sure if they are aligning to the apex or where they think the ball is going to enter the hole. They get over the ball and because their mechanics aren't good the alignment line looks off to their eye and they have to them go back and re align the bell only to still miss read the putt line and/or speed

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Just get out there and play some golf...... Geez.... :D

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Just get out there and play some golf...... Geez.... :D

Here ya go - THE answer!  This game is about fun and while we all want to be as good as we can we're not on tour. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

As with any golf equipment, what works for one might not work for another. Getting back on topic, the answer is no, it doesn't violate the rules of golf.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

• 2 weeks later...

20-3a/2

Using Line on Ball for Alignment

Q.May a player draw a line on his ball and, when replacing his ball, position the ball so that the line or the trademark on the ball is aimed to indicate the line of play?

A.Yes.

WITB - :taylormade-small:

Driver - TaylorMade M2 - Stiff flex / 12.5*

3 & 7 Wood - TaylorMade M2

6i -Gap - TaylorMade M4- Stiff flex

Wedges - TaylorMade ATV 55* & 60*

Putter - Odyssey 2 Ball

Ball - Titleist Pro V1

Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Right Handed Neutral lie on all clubs

• 2 weeks later...

Here ya go - THE answer!  This game is about fun and while we all want to be as good as we can we're not on tour. 

and the church said amen....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

• 7 months later...
On 4/23/2018 at 5:00 AM, perseveringgolfer said:

you are misinterpreting the rule. You cannot put a mark or indication on the green, but you can put any marks you want on your ball. Nice try ;)

You nailed it, hell players have lines on clubs heads, shafts and tees. Play safe and often

I really like line marks on balls (my own or OEM's.  I have found them really helpful in aligning putts,  I know some say they are completely useless, but I find them helpful.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I really like line marks on balls (my own or OEM's.  I have found them really helpful in aligning putts,  I know some say they are completely useless, but I find them helpful.

We teach all of our kids at TFT to align the line on the ball with the apex of the break in the putt, then align the line on your putter with the line on the ball.

The alignment aid on the Vivid XT is really nice.  But hitting them feels like breaking a dish with your club.  No bueno.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

We teach all of our kids at TFT to align the line on the ball with the apex of the break in the putt, then align the line on your putter with the line on the ball.
The alignment aid on the Vivid XT is really nice.  But hitting them feels like breaking a dish with your club.  No bueno.

Maybe this is a different use of the same term, but I think this is why many say that amateurs miss putts on the low side most often. I would define the apex to be the point of the break that is farthest from a straight line going from the ball to the hole. If you line up your putt to that point, it will miss to the low side almost every time. To get the ball to pass over that point, the aim point is usually even farther away from the hole because the putt is breaking during the first half of the putt, too.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

19 minutes ago, romeopapazulu said:

Maybe this is a different use of the same term, but I think this is why many say that amateurs miss putts on the low side most often. I would define the apex to be the point of the break that is farthest from a straight line going from the ball to the hole. If you line up your putt to that point, it will miss to the low side almost every time. To get the ball to pass over that point, the aim point is usually even farther away from the hole because the putt is breaking during the first half of the putt, too.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

OK, I think of the apex differently.  I think of all putts as being straight for a certain length (it might only be straight for a few inches), and then they start breaking.  That point at which it starts breaking is what I think of as the apex of the putt.  There's probably a better term for this.

You're absolutely right, you can't aim at the high point on the line unless there's no break before that high point.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Archived