Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
dwburger

Line on ball violates Rules of Golf?

Just get out there and play some golf...... Geez.... :D

Here ya go - THE answer!  This game is about fun and while we all want to be as good as we can we're not on tour. 

• Like 2

As with any golf equipment, what works for one might not work for another. Getting back on topic, the answer is no, it doesn't violate the rules of golf.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 4

20-3a/2

Using Line on Ball for Alignment

Q.May a player draw a line on his ball and, when replacing his ball, position the ball so that the line or the trademark on the ball is aimed to indicate the line of play?

A.Yes.

• Like 1

Here ya go - THE answer!  This game is about fun and while we all want to be as good as we can we're not on tour. 

and the church said amen....

On 4/23/2018 at 5:00 AM, perseveringgolfer said:

you are misinterpreting the rule. You cannot put a mark or indication on the green, but you can put any marks you want on your ball. Nice try ;)

You nailed it, hell players have lines on clubs heads, shafts and tees. Play safe and often

• Like 1

I really like line marks on balls (my own or OEM's.  I have found them really helpful in aligning putts,  I know some say they are completely useless, but I find them helpful.

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I really like line marks on balls (my own or OEM's.  I have found them really helpful in aligning putts,  I know some say they are completely useless, but I find them helpful.

We teach all of our kids at TFT to align the line on the ball with the apex of the break in the putt, then align the line on your putter with the line on the ball.

The alignment aid on the Vivid XT is really nice.  But hitting them feels like breaking a dish with your club.  No bueno.

• Like 4

We teach all of our kids at TFT to align the line on the ball with the apex of the break in the putt, then align the line on your putter with the line on the ball.
The alignment aid on the Vivid XT is really nice.  But hitting them feels like breaking a dish with your club.  No bueno.

Maybe this is a different use of the same term, but I think this is why many say that amateurs miss putts on the low side most often. I would define the apex to be the point of the break that is farthest from a straight line going from the ball to the hole. If you line up your putt to that point, it will miss to the low side almost every time. To get the ball to pass over that point, the aim point is usually even farther away from the hole because the putt is breaking during the first half of the putt, too.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, romeopapazulu said:

Maybe this is a different use of the same term, but I think this is why many say that amateurs miss putts on the low side most often. I would define the apex to be the point of the break that is farthest from a straight line going from the ball to the hole. If you line up your putt to that point, it will miss to the low side almost every time. To get the ball to pass over that point, the aim point is usually even farther away from the hole because the putt is breaking during the first half of the putt, too.

OK, I think of the apex differently.  I think of all putts as being straight for a certain length (it might only be straight for a few inches), and then they start breaking.  That point at which it starts breaking is what I think of as the apex of the putt.  There's probably a better term for this.

You're absolutely right, you can't aim at the high point on the line unless there's no break before that high point.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, romeopapazulu said:

Exactly. If you watch pros practice with aids they aren’t aiming at the apex.

They work for me as well. First thing I do when I buy a doz is mark a line on them

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

They work for me as well. First thing I do when I buy a doz is mark a line on them

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Me too. I think they help me make more putts. I always align the line and then treat it as a straight putt. 

• Like 2