TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018's Most Wanted Blade Putter Is...

Berg Ryman

Was there ever any doubt?

Read the article here!

Congrats to the Evnroll brand for snagging another Most Wanted, this time with the ER3. Sound off below on other thoughts!

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Has it been posted somewhere the way in which it is decided which particular models of each manufacturer's putters are chosen for the Most Wanted testing? Obviously, Evnroll, TaylorMade, Odyssey, et al. have multiple blade putters in their lineups. Does MGS choose which to test? The OEMs themselves?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

First off I would love try one of these putters, I do see how that tech would help. However I really only see anything mentioned about these putters on MGS.

Is there something going on between MGS and Evnroll.

Pros mainly use Scotty Cameron, Ping, Odyssey. Why not use one Evnroll.

The closest and only place around in my area that even carries these putters are about 45 minutes outside of cleveland.

Now I'm not throwing stones but it seems anytime there is a putter review it's highly weighted towards Evnroll. I'm probably going to get a ton of slack for this but figured I'd mention and see.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I believe that OEMs are invited to submit their entries and if they decline MGS will occasionally purchase putters (clubs) to test.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've seen forum member Kingscott putt with an Evnroll. Makes me want one real bad!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Okay, okay. I now have to test out an Evnroll. Everyone says they are fantastic!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

• SPY VIP

Sam name, different year and is a different putter.  

Amazing to see a recent #1 blade putter a few years back is now dead last, is it time to upgrade my Carbon Ringo?

#TruthDigest

Thanks to the MGS staff and testers for all of the hard work.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

First off I would love try one of these putters, I do see how that tech would help. However I really only see anything mentioned about these putters on MGS.

The closest and only place around in my area that even carries these putters are about 45 minutes outside of cleveland.

Now I'm not throwing stones but it seems anytime there is a putter review it's highly weighted towards Evnroll. I'm probably going to get a ton of slack for this but figured I'd mention and see.

Slack? Nahhh - as long as everyone behaves and is respectful, opinions are welcome in the proper threads. And as always, thanks for being a part of MGS!!!

If you look around at other forums and website, you'll see plenty of love for EVNRoll - Guerin Rife makes dandy putters and the face groove tech is legit when it comes to distance control.  Yes, EVENRoll is an advertiser, but we have advertisers that often finish in the middle of the pack with testing, as well. In order to even be considered an MGS advertisers, companies have to meet certain guidelines, have to perform to our own standards and offer something unique to the consumer. It's a pretty laborious process - check out our blogs on owner Adam Beach and you'll get an idea (click here). 

As to why pros play Scotty, PING or Odyssey? I think you probably already know a large part of the answer to that. EVNRoll is still a fairly small company, and while they have some wins on the LPGA and - I believe - the Champions Tour (don't quote me on that) - they don't have sponsorship deals so they can't use the names of the winning players. Tour usage certainly validates products - but it's certainly not the only way. Smaller companies make some pretty dandy stuff!

One of the great things about MGS is that we don't have a ton of rules - you can speak your mind as long as it's done respectfully and in the proper thread. You're golden, brother! And we appreciate the honesty!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Evnroll's plan is to again grow slowly through organic tour seeding (ie not paying anyone to play their clubs). There are a couple LPGA and champions tour players that are rolling them. So you're not seeing them on tour because Evnroll isn't willing to get involved with pay for play yet.

The Evnrolls feel fantastic whenever I roll them at a shop. Seems like price is worth it now.

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Thanks to the MGS staff and testers for all of the hard work.

Ditto!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

As always the results are very interesting and put new things on my radar. The blog comments though make me shake my head. They all seem to be variations of "yeah but why didn't you something something?" Good grief

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Great test as always. Will the results be published with real data (SG Putting or total putts from each distance) instead of the rank? I'm curious to see how significant the difference is from 1st place to 20th place. 

Note to golfers: while this is a fantastic test, you should still go get properly fit for your putter. Think of this test as a great starting point. I wanted to love Evnroll so much but the double bend shaft and alignment didn't fit my eye/stroke and found a different brand to be a statistically better flatstick. I firmly believe Evnroll makes fantastic putters, but without a proper fit, you won't know really what's best for you. The blog article makes a great point...most try off the rack and hope they selected a winning lotto ticket. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

How can a putter be #1 overall, but #18 from 5 feet? That's just wrong.

20 testers each with 6 putts from 5 feet. If 17 putters had all 120 putts made and the evnroll missed 1 then It is ranked number 18.

We are really talking about a few putts between the top and bottom at 5 feet. You would probably get some slight juggling in those rankings if you were to repeat the 5 footers. I know I lipped out a few 5 footers during the testing.

For me there were some putters that performed better than others but I would say from 5 feet they were all pretty equal as I moved to 10 and 20 feet you could start to see differences.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Anyone who's rolled both want to comment on the differences between the ER2 and ER3? I'm going to assume that in feel and in stroke, they're essentially identical. The difference—I would guess—would be which headshape is best suited for alignment for one player or another.

But these are just my guesses; I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with both putters.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Anyone who's rolled both want to comment on the differences between the ER2 and ER3? I'm going to assume that in feel and in stroke, they're essentially identical. The difference—I would guess—would be which headshape is best suited for alignment for one player or another.

But these are just my guesses; I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with both putters.

I would agree with your assessment of the differences.

ER2 is balanced 22 degrees toe down

ER3 is balanced 25 degrees toe down

The shaft type and balance will make both perform similar. I think it really comes down if looks and ability to align properly

Interesting that the Edel E-3 and Odyssey Toe-Up, both torque balanced putters finished high up on the MW list their respective years they were tested, yet their ranks from distances are noticeably different.

https://mygolfspy.com/2016-most-wanted-blade-putter/

Edel 5- 1st, 10- 23rd, 20- 5th

Odyssey 5- 24th, 10- 4th, 20- 1st

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

When I first saw the results and saw that the EVNROLL was 1st overall but 18th at 5' I was like BULLCACA, THIS IS RIGGED!!!  But after walking off the ledge, it makes sense.  The dispersion of putters from 5' could be within a few percentage points difference, thus making the difference between 1st place and 18th maybe is 3-4% est.  Now as you move further away, that dispersion is greater and could be in the 10-15% or even higher.  So in that sense being 18th at 5' is less impactful than being 1st in 15' or 20'.  Anyway, very interesting results MGS and thank you for the work you do!

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

Well I know my first post might have sounded negative but I have been intrigued by these putters.... do they ever run discounts?

No they are premium pricing. Best bet for a deal is eBay but they retain their value very well there too. I had an ER1 that I liked a lot but just couldn't get lined up right for some reason.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

When I first saw the results and saw that the EVNROLL was 1st overall but 18th at 5' I was like BULLCACA, THIS IS RIGGED!!!  But after walking off the ledge, it makes sense.  The dispersion of putters from 5' could be within a few percentage points difference, thus making the difference between 1st place and 18th maybe is 3-4% est.  Now as you move further away, that dispersion is greater and could be in the 10-15% or even higher.  So in that sense being 18th at 5' is less impactful than being 1st in 15' or 20'.  Anyway, very interesting results MGS and thank you for the work you do!

It's in the comments (should have been in the article itself IMO) but the differences between putters were negligible at 5 feet, on the order of 5 putts in 1000 from first to 18th but much greater at the 10 and 20 foot distances.  I'd expect just about everything to go in at 5 feet if the testing was conducted indoors on perfectly straight and flat putts. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just put the ER3 in my bag. 20+ years of golf and trying numerous putters, there is nothing that rolls the ball better than this. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Archived