GolfSpy Dave

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• 6,702 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:29 PM

I’m Going Back to Bandon, Bandon, Bandon

Bandon Dunes - 1 (1).jpg

Yep, you read that right, in about a month from now I will be making a return visit to Bandon Dunes Golf Resort. No, that’s not a humble brag. It’s a 100% non-humble big huge brag. It’s a I’m a  lucky bastard brag. My prior trip to Bandon Dunes is one of my most memorable golf experiences to date. Thinking about getting to go back there gives me untypeable hands, as they are preoccupied clapping together with joy. I’m only half kidding there…

For those of you not in the know about Bandon Dunes, follow this LINK to the resort site, browse around, and then come back with just a bit more seething envy. Bandon looks impressive on the web site, and once you get there, you quickly realize that what you saw on the computer didn’t even come close to preparing you for the actual resort and golf experience.

The last time I made the trip, I put together a kit of gear that I thought I would need for the adventure. You can read that article from the MGS blog here: Bandon Dunes Kit. As I get ready for trip two, I thought it would be fun to share my trip two must haves and discuss how trip two will differ this time around.

The Original Kit Went 4/5

Original Bandon Kit - 1.jpg

As I look back at the items from that original kit, I’d load four of the five of them into the car for trip two. The one thing that I’d leave home is the Jones bag, and it’s not the bag’s fault at all.

I packed the Jones bag to have something light to use on The Preserve, the 13 hole par 3 course. As it turns out, Bandon Dunes has the exact same Jones bag there for you to borrow, transfering needed clubs from your big bag to the Jones for the shorter course.

Play Note: The Preserve Can Play Long

13th with Putter - 1.jpg

Bring longer clubs than you think you’ll need. My buddy and I went with only four or five clubs for the “short” course. Turns out that some of the holes get close to that 200 yard mark, and if you are hitting into the wind, that 7i you packed as the longest club may need a couple of swings to get home.

That gets us to another point about trip two, score is not the point. I was a bit bummed about not reaching greens with that 7i on the Preserve, but I (finally) just went with it and had fun. Sure, we all like to score low, but if all you do is grind over numbers, you’ll likely miss the beauty, and the fun of playing the Bandon Dunes courses. Once I got to just focusing on the next shot, and not caring if it was the 6th on a par 3, I had way more fun.

To be fair, we were a little gassed on the Preserve as well as it was holes 37-49 for the day. Oh, be sure to tee off with the putter on the 13th!

bandon and chill - 1.jpg

Attitude makes a difference though. Instead of being upset that I hit into a ridiculously deep bunker, I thought about how cool it was to have a bunker like that to play out of. Slight change in perspective made all of the difference for me.

The Bandon Dunes Kit Version 2.0

So what will I be bringing this time around? The bones of the original kit will all be there, with some updates and modifications.

Rain Gear

Rain.jpg

Rain gear will be part of the package. Hopefully the rain gear stays dry again this trip, but I sort of want it to rain a bit since that’s really a part of the Bandon experience. Who am I kidding, I hate rain, and it would be totally fine to be dry and warm again this time.

Flasks and Booze

cheers - 1.jpg

Booze and the accompanying Seamus flask will be there for sure. I think that having the flask and the associated birdie-pull ritual definitely added to the experience. I did considering switching that to a par-pull ritual after the first 18, and then to a still-alive ritual after 27 holes, but making the flask a reward was definitely fun.

Seamus Flask - 1.jpg

The flask from Seamus is just flat out badass. Plus, it’s an Oregon company, so there is good juju there to boost the Bandon Experience. Maybe we can grab Akbar, Seamus’s owner and Bandon resident, for a beer and putting at the Punchbowl.

Not that you necessarily care, but I think that I’ll be switching the flask contents to Basil Hayden’s bourbon this time. If you dig bourbon, and haven’t tried this stuff, you are welcome.. There is a reason why I couldn’t find a single photo with a full bottle in it.

Play Note: Plan for the Punchbowl

Punchbowl - 1.jpg

The Punchbowl is one of my favorite things at Bandon Dunes. It’s a HUGE putting green, with two 18-hole tracks. It was my favorite thing to do at the end of the day. Each hole has cup holders, and there are amazing servers who will sprint up and down the hill to the course to keep you with drink in hand.

The big courses at Bandon Dunes are totally amazing, but some of the best trip memories came from relaxing with a cigar and beer while playing for quarters at the Punchbowl.

Gorse Food (aka lots of golf balls)

Gorse - 1.jpg

There will definitely be more than one box of balls making the trip with me again. Let’s just say that the gorse is no joke. You lose a ball in there and it’s lost. Don’t look for it, just drop and move on. If you start to poke into the gorse, trying to find your ball, you will lose that contest. Let the gorse keep its offering, and then you can then keep your blood and skin.

New Trip Two Takes

There are a couple of other things that are my new must takes for the second trip. Feel free to add to this list if there is something that you would consider a must have.

• Extra Socks: Swapping the socks between the morning and afternoon rounds, and slipping into pair three after 36 holes before recreating at the Punchbowl was quasi orgasmic. It’s like strapping on new feet. I’ll probably snag a couple of fresh pairs of Kentwools before I go.
  • KT Tape: Though I am actively training for the amount of walking that we will do during the trip, it’s nice to have a bit of extra support. I found that running a piece of tape up the back of the foot, and around the arch was a great way to prevent any heel rub or plantar issues.
  • Advil: Sometimes old bodies feel old. Smash that pain with drugs and alcohol and keep playing. Since it’s Oregon, herbal remedies are also not out of the equation.
  • Cigars: The course actually has some quality cigars available to purchase, but I have a few favorites that I’ll be packing in this time. Rocky Patel Sun Grown Maduros and New World by AJ Fernandez will be in my bag.

Cigars - 1 (1).jpg

• Clicgear: This may be more important than anything. We aren’t getting caddies, so it’s either carry or push the bag. Playing this much golf with a bag on my back could lead to serious soreness.  All of the courses are definitely pushable, and remember, they want you to roll the cart right across the green. They are hard, you’ll not hurt them.

cart - 1.jpg

• Snacks: Cliff Bars and jerky were pure ambrosia last time. You burn massive amounts of calories during the rounds. Eat stuff and play better.
  • Eat in the Pub: There are great restaurants on site, but I think that we will go with McKee’s Pub for most meals. I may just order Grandma’s Meatloaf for every meal. It’s that good. The take out breakfast burritos at the lodge are killer as well. I’ll get a burrito and a coffee and then go to the range to warm up rather than a sit down for breakfast.

Lingering Gear Questions

While I think that I’ve got most of the plan set, there are still a couple of questions that I need to address before the trip.

• Putter: This one is impossible. I’ll probably pick one at the last minute, and by one I mean a few. I took two putters last time, my Carbon Holliday for the rounds and then my favorite old friend White Hot Sabertooth for the Punchbowl.
  • Fairway/Driving Iron: I’ve got a hole at the top of my bag. I have a serviceable 3W (Srixon F45) and my trusty PING i25 3H, but I am thinking that a driving iron could be fun to have at Bandon. May do a little shopping for a PING Crossover, or maybe a G400 fairway to match my favorite ever G400 driver. Hitting something long, yet low, would be helpful if that wind creeps up. I could also just work on knockdowns with the i25 3H. G400 stretch 3W could be a nice low launch option as well...

MGS Bag n Clic - 1.jpg

• Cart or Carry Bag: I love my MGS cart bag, but I am wondering if it would be better to go with a smaller bag, specifically a carry bag that I can take with less effort to the practice facility. Maybe this too will be a gametime decision. If the weather looks rough, then the big bag could be critical for swapping out rain gear and such.

Feedback?

Bandon Dunes - 1.jpg

So what do you all think? Have I missed something that you think is mission critical for Bandon? You can look forward to a full trip report once I’m back, and if you watch my social media accounts May 27th-30th, you will see lots of amazing stuff from the course. Should you happen to be in the Bandon area around that time, I’ve got your first round at the Punchbowl covered.

Trails Sign - 1.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @golfspy_dave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

#2 downlowkey

downlowkey

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,097 posts
  • LocationColorado
  • Handicap:+1

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:06 PM

Dave’s content is a consistent source of envy. This most recent Bandon Dunes post is certainly no exception.
If you need a looper that doesn’t eat much and packs 1001 inappropriate jokes, United started offering direct flights from Denver to North Bend. Just give it some thought, Dave.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small:       _ _   G400 LST 9* - Ping Tour 65 S

:cobra-small:         S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S

:nickent-small:           3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG

:adams-small: _Super Proto DHY 21* - Matrix hX3 White Tie S

:adams-small: _Idea MB2 4-PW - Matrix Program 130 7.0

:cleveland-small:              588 RTX 2.0 MB  52.10  56.12

:macgregor-small:                  Bobby Grace V-Foil M5K-GT

:bridgestone-small:   B330S

(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

“The most important shot in golf is the next one.” – Ben Hogan

#3 strokerAce

strokerAce

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members

• 2,915 posts
  • LocationFRANKLIN, MA
  • Handicap:12

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:08 PM

Wow!  Congrats... I was just out in OR and played 6 different courses and the weather was not-so-good for Bandon.  It will definitely be on my list for the next couple years later in the season though.

Do you stay on the property?

How are you transporting your clubs and clicgear?

Do you plan to play each of the 4 courses?

:cobra-small: King F7+ Elements Chrome 6F4  

:cobra-small:  King F7+ 4w Fujikara 65s

:titelist-small:  816 H1 21* hyb Diamana red 60s

TEE  CB Pro H 24* DI UST Mamiya Recoil 670s

:wilson-small:  FG Tour F5 5-G KBS Tour 90
:ping-small:  Glide 2 54/58* TT XP95

:cleveland-small:  Huntington Beach Collection #6

Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 11.75

"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

#4 jlukes

jlukes

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members

• 3,154 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Handicap:5

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:26 PM

Love your content, Dave.

Looking forward to reading about your trip

In my Sun Mountain 2017 3.5LS

:cobra-small: F8+ 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow 65 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 15.5* HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.0
:titelist-small: 818 H2 21* Fujikura ATMOS HB Tour Spec 8S
:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Tour 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.0
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50.08 F - 54.10 S - 60.12 D
5WoCG8Y.jpgER2 - customized at The Golf Garage
:taylormade-small: TP5x

#5 yungkory

yungkory

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,548 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, HI
  • Handicap:11

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:45 PM

+1 for herbal remedies :)

Also, your bag/headcover/clicgear swag is on point.

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9* KuroKage Silver TiNi 60S
3w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S
3i: :mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi NS Pro Modus3 105 S
Irons 4-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Tour NS Pro Modus3 105 S
Wedges: :callaway-small: Mack Daddy Forged 52.10, 56.10 & 60.08
Putter: Evnroll ER2 355g @ 33"
Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

#6 GolfJunkie302

GolfJunkie302

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA
  • Handicap:5.2

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:54 PM

Great post! Kind of had to skim so I wouldn't get too jealous.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
2017 TaylorMade M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
Mizuno JPX EZ 3 wood
Cobra Fly Z 4H
TaylorMade SLDR 4i-GW, KBS Tour C-Taper 90
Mizuno S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
Scotty Cameron California Monterey
Titleist Pro V1x

#7 GolfSpy Dave

GolfSpy Dave

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• 6,702 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:05 PM

Do you stay on the property?

How are you transporting your clubs and clicgear?

Do you plan to play each of the 4 courses?

We will be staying in Lily Pond on property. That worked out great last time as we basically got there and parked, then didn't go to the car again until we left.

There are four of us heading up from Sacramento in a Escalade loaded with gear. Takes about 8 hours. Considered flying in, but wanted to save the money.

Play plan:

Sunday: Arrive-Play Shorty's and Punchbowl

Monday: Bandon Trails and Bandon Dunes then Preserve/Punchbowl

Tuesday: Pacific Dunes and Old Mac then Preserve/Punchbowl

Wednesday: Home full of Advil

Volvo Intorqueo

#8 MDGolfHacker

MDGolfHacker

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members

• 3,748 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Handicap:16

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:20 PM

Have a great time!

MDGolfHacker

What's In The Bag?

Driver:  LH  :cobra-small: F8 10.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft Draw setting

Fairway Woods: LH :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: LH  :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Irons: LH  :cobra-small: F8 One Length 4-LW with the Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 120

Putter: LH  :bettinardi-small: C03

Bag:   :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag Black

Ball:   :bridgestone-small: B330-RX

RangeFinder: Precision Pro NX7 Pro

Shot Tracking Tour Analytics: Arccos

Social Media:
Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

#CobraCONNECT Challenge 2018 - Full Bag Edition

#9 MaxEntropy

MaxEntropy

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • LocationAkron, OH
  • Handicap:~15

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:08 AM

We will be staying in Lily Pond on property. That worked out great last time as we basically got there and parked, then didn't go to the car again until we left.

There are four of us heading up from Sacramento in a Escalade loaded with gear. Takes about 8 hours. Considered flying in, but wanted to save the money.

Play plan:

Sounds like an awesome trip! I'm very jealous.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Driver: :adams-small: Speedline 10

3W: :callaway-small: Razr Fit

3H: :taylormade-small: RBZ

4-PW: doxbCqL.jpg TPS

AW: :mizuno-small: S5

SW: :cleveland-small: 588

LW: :callaway-small: MD3

Putter: :ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita

#10 strokerAce

strokerAce

• Members

• 2,915 posts
  • LocationFRANKLIN, MA

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:12 AM

Play plan:

Fantastic!! Hope you get a lot of golden sunshine and you never need the rain gear... can't wait to see the pics/post!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

#11 Reesedw

Reesedw

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationMonroe, Wa
  • Handicap:16

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:56 AM

I'm so jealous.. that is somewhere i need to play.. the only thing I see not mentioned is a windproof lighter cause if the wind kicks up those great smokes might get hard to light.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

New Bag:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Cobra F8+ Driver Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedges 54* and 58* versatile grind

Snake eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Bridgestone e6 speed ( white )

Old Bag: 

Ping Traverse

Ping G30 Ls TEC

Taylor made R9 3 wood

2 Hybrids 1 snake eyes and 1 iDrive

Wilson D300 irons 4-GW

Ping Tour W 56* wedge.

Snake eyes putter. 

#12 AH1980MN

AH1980MN

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis burbs, Minnesota

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:43 AM

IF the wind kicks up?!

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

#13 GolfSpy Dave

GolfSpy Dave

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• 6,702 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:25 PM

Got a XIKAR torch for that pesky wind. Last time we went at the end of May it was very mild wind and dry. Fingers crossed 🤞

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
Volvo Intorqueo

#14 Kenny B

Kenny B

AGENT NAME: PHOENIX

• Members

• 9,673 posts
  • LocationKennewick, WA
  • Handicap:9.0

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:31 PM

I can't wait to go back to Bandon!!  However, I'm cheap.  Some of the nicest weather on the coast is in the winter; just have to watch the weather forecast.  The only downside is only one round per day due to darkness.  I live about 8 hours from there too so I can drive there in a day.

Have a great time!!

#15 strokerAce

strokerAce

• Members

• 2,915 posts
  • LocationFRANKLIN, MA

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:48 PM

Looks REALLY REALLY nice out there lately...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bandon Dunes, Golf Travel, Oregon, Road Trip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      13 Jul
    tlesirge

Retired and now loving my golf. Trouble is developed golf elbow. Any suggestions folks

Show comments (1)
  • Photo
      11 Jul
    Macdiesel

Anyone out there wear or have worn New Balance spikes? In my opinion they make a pretty good shoe. As of late they have worked there way into the baseball scene and appears they have done quite well.

Show comments (2)
View All Updates

Recent Topics

Our Sponsors