Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Can't Find the Perfect Golf Bag

jamo

You know, there just doesn't seem to be the perfect golf bag out there. What I like is what I have, which is a several year old, all black Titleist x86 stand bag: sx86-1-black.jpg

I love it but mine is sort of defective: every time I put it down the legs cross, and I usually have to manually put them down. Now, I really haven't had good luck with golf bags. My first full size golf bag was the original Callaway Warbird XTT (which I believe was made by Izzo, or at least the straps were). It was great, until my mom ran it over with her can and snapped the legs. Which prompted her to buy me a new one, the Nike Sasquatch Tour. The 14 way top divider was awesome, but the thing was so heavy (and all of the pockets just asking to be filled made me carry more junk in it) and it only lasted 3 months. It broke when the the ball holder began tearing away from the bag, and the straps frayed. But I lost the receipt so I couldn't bring it back. :( After that I bought the Titleist. On the school golf team we also used a Sun Mountain, which was similar to my x86 but had one more large pocket and a 4 way divider on top, rather than the 6 way on the x86.

So here I am. Not in dire need of a new bag, but looking to see what's out there. Basically, what I would want is the x86 with one more side pocket. The weight and divider is great, but one more large pocket would make it perfect. No one makes that bag. The new Titleist Lightweight is the same thing as mine, and one step up to the Premium stand bag would have too many dividers. After my last Nike, I'm not looking to buy another one of their's, not to mention most of them are very gaudy looking. Taylor Made is the same, all very gaudy and none that catch my eye. I want something just plain black and white, or close to it. I'm not a big fan of Callaway or Ping, ans to be honest I just don't want to be a walking Callaway/Ping billboard.

A few years ago I was impressed my Mizuno's offerings, but, again, they have gone for a more gaudy look, and they don't really have anything I like. Sun Mountain makes the Titleist bags, so that right there puts the in the running, but they don't currently offer anything I'm crazy about. That leaves Ogio. I've had bags and backpacks made by them in the past, and absolutely loved them, but all of their bags are either a) heavy, or b ) ugly. After my Nike I'm not going down the heavy route again, and ugly seems to be a common thread.

So what about you guys- is anyone is the same boat? Is there anything you really like right now as far as bags so?

Does it have to be a stand bag Jamo? I'm going to put up a review in a couple days but I recently picked up a Sun Mountain MCB bag (and cart, but that'll be another review) and I like it quite a bit more then the Callaway bag I was using previously.

Features that I quite enjoy

A: the 15 divider, with a specific one for your putter

B: Not only are there a number of pockets but attention to detail was put into those pockets. Some are padded to hold things like your watch/phone/etc, one is a cooler, some have webbing inside the pockets (Love this. Tees go in the webbing, balls go loose in the same pocket) along with another well padded pocket for your range finder.

C: More attention to detail in that there's things like pen holders build into the outside of the bag, a tool for putting alignment, an umbrella lock to hold it securely when you aren't using it and a nice pouch on the back so the bag strap isn't flapping in the wind when you're not using it.

All in all, I really quite like it. Most amusingly though is that 1: I got it cheap as the day after raingate, all Sun Mountain stuff locally went on sale 2: It's actually exceptionally water resistant. I won't say it's fully water proof but it took until four and a half hours of a 5 hour golf day while walking to start showing it was wet anywhere

Crickey. Might as well have stuck this up in the review section...

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I can't find it..made a huge mistake 4 years ago, Rock Bottom Golf had "Great Divider" golf bags on close out. one was 88, the other was 108. they were big cart bags. the major different was the 108 dollar model has two full lengh, huge, self draining, insulated cooler pockets. The 88 dollar 1 had 1 pocket..I would kill for a bag with 2 huge cooler pockets.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason I don't really like the Sun Mountains, or at least the recent one. On my high school team we had Sun Mountains that had th exact pockets I am looking for but only 4 dividers. I could possibly buy one of those from the coach, but the 4 dividers would be disappointing.

In Tigershoot67's (I think I got his name right) recent thread today about some new Adidas golf bags they had some pretty nice looking ones, and not to weird looking. I might have to look at those.

For some reason I don't really like the Sun Mountains, or at least the recent one. On my high school team we had Sun Mountains that had th exact pockets I am looking for but only 4 dividers. I could possibly buy one of those from the coach, but the 4 dividers would be disappointing.

In Tigershoot67's (I think I got his name right) recent thread today about some new Adidas golf bags they had some pretty nice looking ones, and not to weird looking. I might have to look at those.

It was me who posted the New Adidas Bag line. TWshoot67 or just Tim. LOL

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

My Callaway cart bag is just about perfect but starting to show some wear at the top. It has all the pockets I need including a full length waterproof one, separate holder for the putter.

My carry bag is a Mizuno, is just the right weight and almost enough pockets but the mesh holders on the side did not last long, had to repair one.

At the range it does not like to stand on smooth concrete floor as the legs just keep on opening up until it falls flat but otherwise I like it.

Tried to find a bag with real full length dividers but most of them only divide down a few inches then the clubs get tangled.

Post theft of my clubs and gear, I have all new:In the bags:

ClicGear cart bag; Mizuno Carry Bag.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Lamkin mid size grips on all.

KZG VC-420 Driver 10.5 deg with 38 lb flex black NovaTech 6000 shaft.

KZG Q 3 Wood 15 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG Q 5 Wood, 19 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG H370 Tour hybrid 22 deg with Silver NovaTech shaft 38 lbs

KZG forged cavity back CBIII wedges AW -5 iron, bent 3 deg up, with silver 38lb graphite NovaTech shafts

KZG 60 degree forged wedge NS shaft.

Callaway X Jaw 64 degree wedge

Odyssey Putter.

Vision Golf Balls Test Pilot, Titleist ProV1x

Open for sponsorship

My post from the Adidas thread:

I like the STRIKE aG. It has basically everything I am looking for in a bag. I kind of like the 3 stripe design of the CLUTH though, which is odd because I usually hate anything even close to gaudy. For some reason the CLUTCH pulls of off. The STRIKE aG has the better features for me though.

• 1 month later...

If you look around, you can get a great deal on a cart bag without spending $100

Try Rock Bottom Golf

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• SPY VIP

My brother has an Ogio Grom that he really likes. Caddiesbag.com had one up for discount a couple of days ago. Not sure of the price, but if it shows again, ill let you know

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I'm a cart bag guy myself. I also used to be a 6 way top guy (or anything but 14 way tops). Now, I kind of like it, I just wished more manufacturers made bags that were divided all the way.

As for stand bags, hard to beat a Ping Hoofer. Those things were built like tanks, and were light to boot.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Not a huge fan of the look of that Nike. Also, I've always found the Ogios to be a bit to heavy.

Currently my favorites are the Adidas Clutch and Adidas Strike AG. I'm not sure if they are the 2011 versions, but TGW has them both for pretty cheap- the Clutch is $93 and the Strike AG is $118.

Also I'm not looked at cart bags. Partly because I almost always walk, and partly because when I do ride I have that Wilson staff bag I won in the grand opening contest.

What about this one????

G010520.JPG

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Archived