TESTERS WANTED! ×

carry 2 putters

Drive for show putt for dough.

Does anybody carry 2 putters?

A heavy head putter for stability of face direction on short putts and a lighter one for speed control on long putts?

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

A heavy head putter for stability of face direction on short putts and a lighter one for speed control on long putts?

Nope. I guess you need to believe in the concept that lighter putters are better for speed control and heavy for low rotation. What is the break point on when to switch from one to another?

I would rather have a single putter that I can get to my needed face angle no matter the length of the putt or speed of the greens.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

had never even considered this.  I agree with jLukes ... seems more harmful than useful and why use that 14th slot for a 2nd putter?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

It's easier to get great with one putter than it is to get good with two putters. Seems kind of like a hassle and a waste of a club. But whatever works. If two putters make YOU individually a better player, then go for it.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Edited to delete my response intended for a different thread. WTF I need to go to bed.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I would rather spend time perfecting the approach, then you would likely eliminate the feeling of wanting to carry two putters and just work on accuracy with one putter.

Set1
Driver - :cobra-small:Cobra King F6+ set 9.5 D, Matrix 65M4 Black Tie R-Flex 65g low-mid launch 
Fairway - :cobra-small:Cobra F6 3/4 and 7/8 both R-flex
Irons - Tour Edge Exotics E8 Steel R-flex 4-PW
Wedges - :cleveland-small:Cleveland CBX 50 and 54, and Smart Sole 3 58
Putter - Top Flite Tour Align 5
Rangefinder - Leupold GX-2i3

Set2

Driver - Custom Built - Accura SP-700 400cc 10deg 48.5" S-flex

Hybrids - :adams-small:Adams Idea A50s 3 and 4

Irons - :taylormade-small:Taylor Made Burner Oversize 3-PW, lightly used 3 and 4 still in original plastic(auction buy $15 w/bag and several other clubs)

Wedges - Snake Eyes 52 & 56 and Dunlop True Tech Lob 64

Putter - W :wilson-small:ilson Harmonized M1

Set 3

My original set approximately 43 years old and I occasionally take the irons out for a swing

:titelist-small:Titleist Lite 100

Even if I could put a 15th club in my bag I wouldn't do it. Would probably go with a Driving Iron

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Instead of an extra putter, how about an attachment that simply adds more weight to the one putter you have. It could be a piece that attaches to the back of a blade putter magnetically and perhaps converts a blade to a mallet.

I don't know that it is a good idea, or legal strictly speaking but it would be easier than carrying a second club as the insert could go in your pocket or attach to the putter cover.

It is not something I would do personally because I think it better to learn to use one putter for all strokes than have a different feel with a different club for certain shots.

If there is a demand functionally for “two” putters I think a club attachment would be the best answer vs carrying two sepearte clubs.

One of the Evnroll mallet putters has a weight that can be quickly loosened and slid out. You could do something along that line as well making the weight inserts magnetic and just sliding out the one you want and replacing it with a different weight.

In short it would be easy for a manufacturer to make putter weight rapidly adjustable. You could carry several different weights for say 5 feet and in 10 feet and 20 feet or longer.

Driver Taylor Made M2 Ping G 3 wood 14.5 loftPing G hybrid 19Hogan Radial 3-PW(forged circa 1989)Evnroll ER2, Golf bag, old and worn out circa 1989

Instead of an extra putter, how about an attachment that simply adds more weight to the one putter you have. It could be a piece that attaches to the back of a blade putter magnetically and perhaps converts a blade to a mallet.

I don't know that it is a good idea, or legal strictly speaking but it would be easier than carrying a second club as the insert could go in your pocket or attach to the putter cover.

It is not something I would do personally because I think it better to learn to use one putter for all strokes than have a different feel with a different club for certain shots.

If there is a demand functionally for “two” putters I think a club attachment would be the best answer vs carrying two sepearte clubs.

One of the Evnroll mallet putters has a weight that can be quickly loosened and slid out. You could do something along that line as well making the weight inserts magnetic and just sliding out the one you want and replacing it with a different weight.

In short it would be easy for a manufacturer to make putter weight rapidly adjustable. You could carry several different weights for say 5 feet and in 10 feet and 20 feet or longer.

Just like drivers you cannot reconfigure a club during a round.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just like drivers you cannot reconfigure a club during a round.

I can reconfigure any club during a round, it is just a matter of the size of the tree and how angry I am.

Driver Taylor Made M2 Ping G 3 wood 14.5 loftPing G hybrid 19Hogan Radial 3-PW(forged circa 1989)Evnroll ER2, Golf bag, old and worn out circa 1989

I can reconfigure any club during a round, it is just a matter of the size of the tree and how angry I am.

who needs a tree when you have your own head!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

who needs a tree when you have your own head!

Channeling your inner Woody Austin?

Please take this with my intended sense of humor but I just had to look up rule 4-2 and technically speaking one cannot adjust their club during a “stipulated round” which turns out is 18 holes played in order unless otherwise approved by the “committee” so if you play the holes out of order or play less than 18 holes you can alter your clubs to your hearts content.

Really I think two putters or altering your clubs is going to do most golfers more harm than good and functionally self penalize. It goes back to the blog post earlier today where the likelihood of three puts was tested relative to handicap. Of course the higher the handicap the more likelihood is a three put.

I and most of us need more practice with one club instead of more variables.

I have a friend that carried 2 putters for exactly the purpose of tackling different lengths of putts with a different putter.  I couldn't agree with his logic, but it worked for him. 

At the end of the day, the game is about getting the ball in the hole in the least amount of strokes possible.  If carrying two putters gives you the extra mental edge to help you get in the hole faster, more power to you.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

If you're going to carry two putters might as well make one of them a chipper instead, you could use it on tight lies including for long putts on the green. 

I have a friend that carried 2 putters for exactly the purpose of tackling different lengths of putts with a different putter.  I couldn't agree with his logic, but it worked for him. 

Lefty in the Mitten State currently carrying: TM '17 M2 9.5  w/ Fujikura Pro XLR8 Â· Exotics EX10 15° w/ GD Tour AD Stiff ·  :cobra-small: F7 HY @ 20° ·   :cobra-small:   Forged Tec Black 5i-AW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 ·  :callaway-small:  MD2 56°+ 60° ·  :nike-small:  Method B2-01 · Kirkland Signature · Clicgear 2.0 · Course photo albums: Boyne Highlands + Bay Harbor (Michigan) | Wailea Gold & Emerald (Maui) | Forest Dunes (Michigan)

So, back when anchoring was still allowed, a guy in my golf league went with a two putter approach. Now, he was a senior and had the extra slot in his bag to do so, and also had been doing it for some time. He'd use his conventional length putter for long distance lags and his long putter for everything else. He said he liked the stability of the long putter for short and medium length putts, but couldn't get solid distance control on it for quality lags. It was a bit jarring to be sure, but it worked alright for him.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I don't know if I could honestly do that. I love getting on the practice green and working on distances, lagging, speed, etc. Having 2 different putters for that might mess me up even more than I already am.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

• 3 months later...

Thanks all.  Well it seems nearly universal to learn how to do short and long putts from one cub.  For me, the 14 club limit not an issue, I don't need much between a driver and a 4 iron.  Only 1 club in between them.  that leaves room for plenty of wedges.  I wonder how often you use any clubs you carry between the driver and a 4 or even 5 iron.  How many times in a round do you use your 3 wood and your 4 or 5 wood and your 3 or 4 hybrid and your driving iron if you carry one?

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

• 5 weeks later...

HA!  Just what I need..two putters that give me the devil!!  Honestly, if it works for you..then can that 4th wedge or the 3 iron and go for it.  :wacko:

M2 Driver Fujikura Regular Flex

Mizuno 921 Tour Irons-- Titleist Wedges

A new Sik Armlock putter

Adam Scott does, I don't think I've seen/heard him use the shorter one though. It's like he keeps it in case the tall one goes wrong.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

Two putters? No, not at all, at least not for me. The weirdest thing about my putting is I use a putter that is too short for me (by fitting). I am fitted to a 37" putter but I use a 34" putter. I don't know why it works but it does. It just sits better in my hands and I have more control over the putter.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Adam Scott does, I don't think I've seen/heard him use the shorter one though. It's like he keeps it in case the tall one goes wrong.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That at least makes sense. I have a friend that keeps two putters and changes them every 2 rounds. He says that if he gets "comfortable" with a putter, he loses focus and his putting goes sideways. The weird part is that one is a face balanced mallet an the other is a flow neck putter with 60° of toe hang.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Actually driving is statistically more important than putting - that “saying” is DOA. Strokes gained driving will far out pace strokes gained putting on the money list on tour or at your local club.

Putting is important but it's importance has been over rated - you need to hole short putts and learn how to avoid three putting on the long putts.

While it would be a shame to limit your bag somewhere else if you needed two putters to accomplish the goal of holing short putts and avoiding 3 putting then go for it. You could probably adjust your gapping on your irons and never really notice 15 yards between clubs rather than 12.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 3 weeks later...

I actually have two Cleveland putters in my bag that are pretty much identical in setup but one has a milled face and one has an insert. Both are the classic #2 model. I will take both to the practice green and which ever one feels better that day is the one I use unless the round goes sideways and then I will change. I do like the insert for longer putts so it might get pulled out if I think I need it.

Sent from my LGUS992 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Archived