Donn lost in San Diego

carry 2 putters

Our Sponsors

Drive for show putt for dough.

Does anybody carry 2 putters?

A heavy head putter for stability of face direction on short putts and a lighter one for speed control on long putts?

• Like 1

Drive for show putt for dough.

Does anybody carry 2 putters?

A heavy head putter for stability of face direction on short putts and a lighter one for speed control on long putts?

Nope. I guess you need to believe in the concept that lighter putters are better for speed control and heavy for low rotation. What is the break point on when to switch from one to another?

I would rather have a single putter that I can get to my needed face angle no matter the length of the putt or speed of the greens.

• Like 1

Definitely not. I think this would do a lot more harm than good on the greens without even accounting for not having another wedge or other club in your bag

• Like 3

had never even considered this.  I agree with jLukes ... seems more harmful than useful and why use that 14th slot for a 2nd putter?

• Like 1

It's easier to get great with one putter than it is to get good with two putters. Seems kind of like a hassle and a waste of a club. But whatever works. If two putters make YOU individually a better player, then go for it.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I'd rather carry a 3h or another wedge. But if it works go for it's

Edited to delete my response intended for a different thread. WTF I need to go to bed.

• Like 5

I would rather spend time perfecting the approach, then you would likely eliminate the feeling of wanting to carry two putters and just work on accuracy with one putter.

Even if I could put a 15th club in my bag I wouldn't do it. Would probably go with a Driving Iron

Instead of an extra putter, how about an attachment that simply adds more weight to the one putter you have. It could be a piece that attaches to the back of a blade putter magnetically and perhaps converts a blade to a mallet.

I don't know that it is a good idea, or legal strictly speaking but it would be easier than carrying a second club as the insert could go in your pocket or attach to the putter cover.

It is not something I would do personally because I think it better to learn to use one putter for all strokes than have a different feel with a different club for certain shots.

If there is a demand functionally for “two” putters I think a club attachment would be the best answer vs carrying two sepearte clubs.

One of the Evnroll mallet putters has a weight that can be quickly loosened and slid out. You could do something along that line as well making the weight inserts magnetic and just sliding out the one you want and replacing it with a different weight.

In short it would be easy for a manufacturer to make putter weight rapidly adjustable. You could carry several different weights for say 5 feet and in 10 feet and 20 feet or longer.

Instead of an extra putter, how about an attachment that simply adds more weight to the one putter you have. It could be a piece that attaches to the back of a blade putter magnetically and perhaps converts a blade to a mallet.

I don't know that it is a good idea, or legal strictly speaking but it would be easier than carrying a second club as the insert could go in your pocket or attach to the putter cover.

It is not something I would do personally because I think it better to learn to use one putter for all strokes than have a different feel with a different club for certain shots.

If there is a demand functionally for “two” putters I think a club attachment would be the best answer vs carrying two sepearte clubs.

One of the Evnroll mallet putters has a weight that can be quickly loosened and slid out. You could do something along that line as well making the weight inserts magnetic and just sliding out the one you want and replacing it with a different weight.

In short it would be easy for a manufacturer to make putter weight rapidly adjustable. You could carry several different weights for say 5 feet and in 10 feet and 20 feet or longer.

Just like drivers you cannot reconfigure a club during a round.

Just like drivers you cannot reconfigure a club during a round.

I can reconfigure any club during a round, it is just a matter of the size of the tree and how angry I am.

• Like 5

I can reconfigure any club during a round, it is just a matter of the size of the tree and how angry I am.

who needs a tree when you have your own head!

• Like 2

who needs a tree when you have your own head!

Channeling your inner Woody Austin?

• Like 1

Please take this with my intended sense of humor but I just had to look up rule 4-2 and technically speaking one cannot adjust their club during a “stipulated round” which turns out is 18 holes played in order unless otherwise approved by the “committee” so if you play the holes out of order or play less than 18 holes you can alter your clubs to your hearts content.

Really I think two putters or altering your clubs is going to do most golfers more harm than good and functionally self penalize. It goes back to the blog post earlier today where the likelihood of three puts was tested relative to handicap. Of course the higher the handicap the more likelihood is a three put.

I and most of us need more practice with one club instead of more variables.

• Like 1

I have a friend that carried 2 putters for exactly the purpose of tackling different lengths of putts with a different putter.  I couldn't agree with his logic, but it worked for him. 

At the end of the day, the game is about getting the ball in the hole in the least amount of strokes possible.  If carrying two putters gives you the extra mental edge to help you get in the hole faster, more power to you.

If you're going to carry two putters might as well make one of them a chipper instead, you could use it on tight lies including for long putts on the green. 

I have a friend that carried 2 putters for exactly the purpose of tackling different lengths of putts with a different putter.  I couldn't agree with his logic, but it worked for him. 

All pass on two putter. Better off using another wedge or two iron. Have fun it's a Journey ⛳️

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

So, back when anchoring was still allowed, a guy in my golf league went with a two putter approach. Now, he was a senior and had the extra slot in his bag to do so, and also had been doing it for some time. He'd use his conventional length putter for long distance lags and his long putter for everything else. He said he liked the stability of the long putter for short and medium length putts, but couldn't get solid distance control on it for quality lags. It was a bit jarring to be sure, but it worked alright for him.

• Like 1

I don't know if I could honestly do that. I love getting on the practice green and working on distances, lagging, speed, etc. Having 2 different putters for that might mess me up even more than I already am.