Putter alignment... HELP!

Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

I do the exact same thing schollzy. SAM shows me aiming right, hooding the face and stroke path moving in to out. Trying to fix it drives me crazy, so most of the time I just go with it. It produces a very nice tight roll of the ball and is repeatable so as long as I don't try too hard to consciously aim I can putt very well. When I start aiming things go bad in a hurry.

Don't fix it. We have had discussions in the past on the term “aim” before but generally where you aim at setup isn't important. Consistent aim is important. If you have consistent aim you start to get consistent impact which determines the balls direction. My path goes left so I need to have the putter face remain open to the target line at impact to start the ball online. This open face need isn't controlled by a stroke thing, it is managed by the putters design characteristics like weight, sight lines, or offset.

Your trying to Change is one drawback to something like a puttlab fitting. Is it better to change to match what someone programmed the puttlab to think is perfect or is it better to understand what you do and fit to your tendencies. It is all about what you are willing to change.

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I understand that. I guess the point I was trying to make is that as a person still trying to learn things, when there is a difference of opinions, I'm more likely to trust someone who has been here a while and has a history of providing good information over a a relatively new person. Taking into consideration the way the information is communicated is another important aspect, IMO.

I appreciate that. I happen to be a putter junkie and have done a lot of research on the putting stroke and found an instructor that I believe in.

The interesting think about golf is that even at the highest levels of instruction they still teach things differently. For example Dave Pelz is more SBST and rocking the shoulders, seemore putters would teach neutral setup with eyes inside ball, dave Stockton is left side controlled, Stan utley is arms with passive shoulders, and tiger would tech right side dominant. There isn't a single right way to putt, the le is understanding how the approach you choose impacts the stroke. I only provide my thoughts and opinions people still need to wade through what I post and determine if it is right for them.

• Like 2

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I appreciate that. I happen to be a putter junkie and have done a lot of research on the putting stroke and found an instructor that I believe in.

The interesting think about golf is that even at the highest levels of instruction they still teach things differently. For example Dave Pelz is more SBST and rocking the shoulders, seemore putters would teach neutral setup with eyes inside ball, dave Stockton is left side controlled, Stan utley is arms with passive shoulders, and tiger would tech right side dominant. There isn't a single right way to putt, the le is understanding how the approach you choose impacts the stroke. I only provide my thoughts and opinions people still need to wade through what I post and determine if it is right for them.

So much good stuff here.

It seems to me that if you have something more or less consistent and predictable, you can be an effective putter. I remember Mark Crossfield posting a video with his SAM PuttLab results. His scores for the "ideal" stroke were not good: he hits the ball on the toe-side of the sweet spot, and (as I recall) had a compensating face adjustment to make that strike location work. By contrast, his consistency scores are well into the 90s%. And his videos generally bear out that he's a very good putter.

This is not at all to suggest that a putting stroke can't be improved. But it does seem that once you reach a certain level of consistency of strike, path, and face, it might be better to spend time figuring out how to make that combination work, rather than constantly tinkering with the variables.

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X
:callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 15°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 S
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 18.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:adams-small: XTD Proto dHy 21°, Aldila Green NV Hybrid 105 S
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Full WITB with pictures

This is not at all to suggest that a putting stroke can't be improved. But it does seem that once you reach a certain level of consistency of strike, path, and face, it might be better to spend time figuring out how to make that combination work, rather than constantly tinkering with the variables.

And this is why there are so many putters on the market. Marrying up the right putter to your stroke helps everything work together.

No different than clubs. We change lie, swingweight, loft , shape, offset, shaft dynamics to make the club work for your swing. The same thing applies to a putter.

• Like 2

In the end, the ball doesn't go where the face is pointing at setup, it goes where the face is pointing at impact.

Was going to say the same thing. It's all about path .. and especially face .. at impact.

For me - I'm working on keeping the back of the lead (my left) hand moving down my aim line _after_ impact.

• Like 1

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Check your grip...

If the setup and alignment are good and square, the position of the hands can make a difference. My coach relayed a story about Tiger struggling with pushes, and one of the TV announcers who knew Tiger well noticed in a casual round that his right hand was positioned a little more on top of the left/grip than usual. The result was the hands coming back to "square" through the ball resulted in a slightly open face.

If you are playing to a scratch, it might be worth a look.

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter:  :odyssey-small:  Stroke Lab Rossie

Just watched the video, I don't trust my own line cause it looks off. I am hitting the putting green before playing tonight so maybe I will trust my line at address.

Set1
Driver - :cobra-small:Cobra King F6+ set 9.5 D, Matrix 65M4 Black Tie R-Flex 65g low-mid launch 
Fairway - :cobra-small:Cobra F6 3/4 and 7/8 both R-flex
Irons - Tour Edge Exotics E8 Steel R-flex 4-PW
Wedges - :cleveland-small:Cleveland CBX 50 and 54, and Smart Sole 3 58
Putter - Top Flite Tour Align 5
Rangefinder - Leupold GX-2i3

Set2

Driver - Custom Built - Accura SP-700 400cc 10deg 48.5" S-flex

Hybrids - :adams-small:Adams Idea A50s 3 and 4

Irons - :taylormade-small:Taylor Made Burner Oversize 3-PW, lightly used 3 and 4 still in original plastic(auction buy $15 w/bag and several other clubs)

Wedges - Snake Eyes 52 & 56 and Dunlop True Tech Lob 64

Putter - W :wilson-small:ilson Harmonized M1

Set 3

My original set approximately 43 years old and I occasionally take the irons out for a swing

:titelist-small:Titleist Lite 100