TESTERS WANTED! ×

Michigan Courses?

palvord

Unfortunately the maintenance quality of the course and overall property has suffered greatly since the recession. Not terrible but far from great, especially considering what they charge.

That tribute course is amazing!

Lefty in the Mitten State currently carrying: TM '17 M2 9.5  w/ Fujikura Pro XLR8 Â· Exotics EX10 15° w/ GD Tour AD Stiff ·  :cobra-small: F7 HY @ 20° ·   :cobra-small:   Forged Tec Black 5i-AW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 ·  :callaway-small:  MD2 56°+ 60° ·  :nike-small:  Method B2-01 · Kirkland Signature · Clicgear 2.0 · Course photo albums: Boyne Highlands + Bay Harbor (Michigan) | Wailea Gold & Emerald (Maui) | Forest Dunes (Michigan)

This is my area so got you covered here! A couple options for you:

A: Fri @ Eagle Crest / Sat @ Washtenaw Golf Club

Both are in Ypsi so the closest to where you're staying and solid, yet very different tracks. pm me and I can send you a link to a coupon to get you on for $40ish a guy at Eagle Crest. 

B: Fri @ Moose Ridge or Lyon Oaks / Sat @ one of the other two from A

Both of these courses are the next two 'best' public courses. Moose Ridge has some crazy elevation changes for southeast Michigan and is crazy scenic. Both are about a 30min drive north of Ann Arbor. I'd just try to get one of the first twilight times at either and they should fit your budget.

If for some reason you can't get on any of those, the next two best options in the area are 1: Northville Hills and 2: the Golden Fox course @ Fox Hills

Regarding Pheasant Run, skip it. It's a fine muni for us locals but the others are much more enjoyable. Shepard's Hollow that chemclub mentioned is a great track, but too far out of your way to make it worth the detour. 

lmk some other details about the size of your group, interests, etc and I can hook you up w/ other Ann Arbor area food, drink, etc recommendations. 

That would be awesome, thank you.

There are 4 of us for going down for the game so any coupons or advice or recommendations are appreciated.

Eagle Crest is one that I had looked up and is one on the list .

will be in touch with ThatKyle soon.

Thank you!!!

I will list out some of my favorite courses that I have played and some on my bucket list:

Some of my favorites

Angels Crossing

Eagle Eye

The Masterpiece - Treetops

The Premier - Treetops

The Natural

Stonehedge - South

Bedford Valley

Tullymore

St. Ives

The Gailes

Heritage Glen

Sundance - A-Ga-Ming

Torch Course - A-Ga-Ming

Red Hawk

Bucket List

Harbor Shores

Oakland Hills Golf Club

Forest Dunes

Greywalls

Sweetgrass

Crystal Mountain

Crystal Downs

Arcadia Bluffs

Lochenheath

The Bear

Bay Harbor

Stoatin Brae

Belvedere

just to name a few!!

Love Golf, just don't get to play as much as I would like.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

3 Wood - Cobra LTDx

3 Hybrid - Nike Vapor Fly

4-GW - Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metals

SW - Mizuno T22

LW - Mizuno T20

Putter - Odyssey O-Works Tank 7

That would be awesome, thank you.

There are 4 of us for going down for the game so any coupons or advice or recommendations are appreciated.

Eagle Crest is one that I had looked up and is one on the list .

will be in touch with ThatKyle soon.

Thank you!!!

Eagle Crest is a solid track but I don't like 11.

Washtenaw is a solid old school track. Lately the greens have been HARD and fast.

• 3 weeks later...

I will list out some of my favorite courses that I have played and some on my bucket list:

Some of my favorites

Angels Crossing

Eagle Eye

The Masterpiece - Treetops

The Premier - Treetops

The Natural

Stonehedge - South

Bedford Valley

Tullymore

St. Ives

The Gailes

Heritage Glen

Sundance - A-Ga-Ming

Torch Course - A-Ga-Ming

Red Hawk

Bucket List

Harbor Shores

Oakland Hills Golf Club

Forest Dunes

Greywalls

Sweetgrass

Crystal Mountain

Crystal Downs

Arcadia Bluffs

Lochenheath

The Bear

Bay Harbor

Stoatin Brae

Belvedere

just to name a few!!

Thank you for the suggestions.

It is really fantastic that MI has so many high level courses.  It is really unfortunate we only have a few months out of the year to actually play them.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the 3 9 holes at Pine Knob. They are real nice.

I'll add it to the list. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I am a metro Detroit golfer as well, and there are a lot of good treks to play.

Fieldstone in Auburn Hills that was mentioned is a quality course. I never play well there, but it is a solid layout. Also has a nice driving range and putting green for practing on.

Katke Cousins is one of the two Oakland University courses. I think you might need to be a member or play with a student to get oneither one though, but I could be wrong. I played it a couple of times with my brother when he was a student there, and every par 3 hole had a basket of nice, short tees sitting on the tee box for you to use if you want.

The other course at Oakland is the Sharf, which is also a nice course if you can get on. Has that northern Michigan golf feel without the drive. If you can find a member to take you, it's worth getting on and playing.

The Orchards is a nice course. It used to host qualifiers and amateur tournaments so it is pretty challenging. Another course I personally don't play well at, but I still enjoy myself every time. Greystone and Glacier club are also two other courses near the Orchards that are both good courses worth playing.

A couple other good ones that are worth checking out - Twin Lakes in Oakland Township (has 27 holes, so can mix and match the 3 sets of 9 holes), Cherry Creek in Shelby Township (best practice facility in the Metro Detroit area in my opinion with multiple putting greens, chipping greens, bunkers, etc for you to use for practice), Stony Creek Metro Park Golf course and Boulder Pointe out in Oxford.

And for Northern MI golf trips in the future, Forest Dunes is great - expensive but definitely a hidden gem in Roscommon. The original course is top notch, and they also have the Loop course, which plays in two different directions (clockwise one day, counterclockwise the next). Treetops has run really good deals the last couple years if you go before Memorial Day - you can get two days of unlimited golf and one nights lodging for $150 a person, which is a pretty unbelievable deal for the courses they have.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour 2.0, Kuro Kage Silver TiNi (S) cut to 44.5" -- Wood: Callaway X-Hot pro 4 Wood 17* stock project x shaft (S) Hybrid: Bridgestone Precept ECU 21* (S) -- Irons: Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro KBS C taper (S) -- Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 54*, 58* (W) -- Putter: Odyssey O Works Red #7s 35” -- Bucket List Courses Played: Forest Dunes, The Loop at Forest Dunes Black and Red, All Tree Tops courses, Black Wolf Run, The Irish Course at Whistling Straits

I have a 4-some headed up over Labor Day to play Arcadia, Forest Dunes, Eagle Eye and possibly another. Can't wait. Anyone have any suggestions for things to to do, places to eat, or just comments on the courses?

I'm playing UoM's Radrick course twice this week, and either Polo Fields or what was Washtenaw CC. Can't wait!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I have a 4-some headed up over Labor Day to play Arcadia, Forest Dunes, Eagle Eye and possibly another. Can't wait. Anyone have any suggestions for things to to do, places to eat, or just comments on the courses?

Arcadia Bluffs is gorgeous! Be ready for the wind to be a factor. You'll have one or two holes that will just blow you away with the views. Also, the green complexes are fantastic. They are each a different challenge so you'll never be bored.

I'm not sure how far out of the way this will be for you while your that direction, but if you get the chance I recommend checking out Iron Fish Distillery in Thompsonville, MI. They have some very good spirits to choose from and they do it all in a “farm to table” style.

I am a metro Detroit golfer as well, and there are a lot of good treks to play.

Fieldstone in Auburn Hills that was mentioned is a quality course. I never play well there, but it is a solid layout. Also has a nice driving range and putting green for practing on.

Katke Cousins is one of the two Oakland University courses. I think you might need to be a member or play with a student to get oneither one though, but I could be wrong. I played it a couple of times with my brother when he was a student there, and every par 3 hole had a basket of nice, short tees sitting on the tee box for you to use if you want.

The other course at Oakland is the Sharf, which is also a nice course if you can get on. Has that northern Michigan golf feel without the drive. If you can find a member to take you, it's worth getting on and playing.

The Orchards is a nice course. It used to host qualifiers and amateur tournaments so it is pretty challenging. Another course I personally don't play well at, but I still enjoy myself every time. Greystone and Glacier club are also two other courses near the Orchards that are both good courses worth playing.

A couple other good ones that are worth checking out - Twin Lakes in Oakland Township (has 27 holes, so can mix and match the 3 sets of 9 holes), Cherry Creek in Shelby Township (best practice facility in the Metro Detroit area in my opinion with multiple putting greens, chipping greens, bunkers, etc for you to use for practice), Stony Creek Metro Park Golf course and Boulder Pointe out in Oxford.

And for Northern MI golf trips in the future, Forest Dunes is great - expensive but definitely a hidden gem in Roscommon. The original course is top notch, and they also have the Loop course, which plays in two different directions (clockwise one day, counterclockwise the next). Treetops has run really good deals the last couple years if you go before Memorial Day - you can get two days of unlimited golf and one nights lodging for $150 a person, which is a pretty unbelievable deal for the courses they have.

Thank you for the recommendations. I am playing the Orchards in mid July and looking forward to that. Will have to go check out Cherry Creek so I can make use of the practice facility.

I'm playing UoM's Radrick course twice this week, and either Polo Fields or what was Washtenaw CC. Can't wait!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Enjoy! Let us know how the courses are.

Adding another one to the must-play list as I finally got a chance to play it last week, Belvedere Golf Club in Charlevoix. Amazing layout and awesome old school feel. Would love to have a place like that in the Detroit area to join as a member. 

Lefty in the Mitten State currently carrying: TM '17 M2 9.5  w/ Fujikura Pro XLR8 Â· Exotics EX10 15° w/ GD Tour AD Stiff ·  :cobra-small: F7 HY @ 20° ·   :cobra-small:   Forged Tec Black 5i-AW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 ·  :callaway-small:  MD2 56°+ 60° ·  :nike-small:  Method B2-01 · Kirkland Signature · Clicgear 2.0 · Course photo albums: Boyne Highlands + Bay Harbor (Michigan) | Wailea Gold & Emerald (Maui) | Forest Dunes (Michigan)

I can't remember if I put Dunmaglaus down, that's a must play near Charlevoix.

I played Dunmaglas at the end of last season and I was severely disappointed.  The driving range was literally an overgrown field.  The tee boxes seemed like they hadn't been mowed in a few days and the general condition of the course was lesser than I expected for the $80ish rate I paid.  The views however were excellent.  

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :callaway-small:                    

PXG 0211 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik 21* 7W
Taylormade RSi1 5 Iron
Taylormade RSi2 6-PW
Taylormade PSI 50*
Callaway Jaws 54* C Grind
Wilson Staff Infinite Southside
Maxfli Tour

I played Dunmaglas at the end of last season and I was severely disappointed. The driving range was literally an overgrown field. The tee boxes seemed like they hadn't been moved in a few days and the general condition of the course was lesser than I expected for the $80ish rate I paid. The views however were excellent.

I haven't played it in years. The driving range wasn't there yet. Sucks to hear it wasn't in good condition, it was pristine when I played it.

Thank you for the recommendations. I am playing the Orchards in mid July and looking forward to that. Will have to go check out Cherry Creek so I can make use of the practice facility.

I would only use Cherry Creek for the practice range. I've only played there once and it was alright. The practice area is phenomenal and the course for me was just meh.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this has already been recommended but Shepherd's Hollow in Clarkston is one of the best in the state.   They have three 9 hole courses which are in pristine condition.   The course can be very challenging and you get the "up north" feel when there.   Hole 18 is one of the best finishing holes in all of golf, risk and reward with a great view.  

Highly recommended.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness

hey Palvord,

don't limit yourself to Detroit.

Head across the border to Windsor.

Great courses in that area.

1. Ambassador is a top notch facility worth the trek. You won't be disappointed.

2. Roseland Golf and CC by noted Architect Donald Ross

3. Seven Lakes. This is a very challenging course.

And on top of this, the exchange rate makes it 30% cheaper

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

I don't know if this has already been recommended but Shepherd's Hollow in Clarkston is one of the best in the state. They have three 9 hole courses which are in pristine condition. The course can be very challenging and you get the "up north" feel when there. Hole 18 is one of the best finishing holes in all of golf, risk and reward with a great view.

Highly recommended.

Will for sure check it out. Only a 30-40 minute drive from my home base.

• 2 months later...

Probably a little late and not near you but this past summer my buddy and I took a golf trip up to Michigan. I flew into Chicago and we drove to Grand Rapids and the next morning we played at Pilgrims Run Golf Club in Pierson, MI. It was a beautiful track. I’ve never played on anything like it since I live in Vegas.

Some Photos:

IMG_0040.thumb.JPG.299c5fe199f2a4a43d1b4e08585c8cc3.JPG

IMG_0046.thumb.JPG.f3c5f0f3f56ea387ad804e254397894a.JPG

IMG_0056.thumb.JPG.7597784468530c587c75f44a84596169.JPG

IMG_0058.thumb.JPG.4f8acddc58511ea7ceb8f9a9f48caa57.JPG

From there we went up to Boyne and stayed in the Boyne Highlands Resorts. There are some awesome courses up there in such a close area. Donald Ross Memorial is there which is what we wanted to play the most. Fun course for sure. We also played Crooked Tree which is nearby as well and I’d recommend all of them but I may be a bit biased as I’ve never played tree lined courses with such greenery around until that trip.

Petowsky is great too with some really good breweries with some perfectly paired food menus.

More random photos from Boyne Highlands and Crooked Tree

IMG_0070.thumb.JPG.e1d87be04310f2df1de0fb6be3fb777a.JPG

IMG_0074.thumb.JPG.8bad98c834d389667406634dbd18bc84.JPG

IMG_0086.thumb.JPG.ec4eed2b75a47cd561d4464852c9832c.JPG

IMG_0091.thumb.JPG.33daa3a19fb25d7fb80a507fca94d78e.JPG

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

I live in the Metro-Detroit area and am looking for course recommendations to hit in the limited time that we have to actually golf in this state.

Last year, I was able to play Arcadia Bluffs in Arcadia, MI, The Medalist in Marshall, MI, as well as Gull Lake View West and East.

Looking forward to the suggestions.
No shortage of responses. Michigan has many golf courses. I see many top courses listed. Many I couldnt really justify the cost. Try Treetops resort where the experience is unforgettable. I believe they have 5 championship courses.
Another is Gull Lake resort with 6 championship courses. Check out the Gilmore auto museum while in the Kalamazoo area.

Sent from my SM-G935V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Cobra AMP 8.5* driver (sometimes swap for Cobra Speedzone driver)

Cobra Speedzone 3 WD, 19* hybrid

Driving iron 18*

Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4 - PW

Cleveland 588 gap wedge 52*

Scotty Cameron futura putter (sometimes Ping Zing anniversary edition, or TP mills blade)

Archived