TESTERS WANTED! ×

iron covers do you use them?

hi guys, just wondering if you guys use iron covers and which club do u cover up till?

personally i use the covers up to Pw cus its really a hassle having to remove the covers off the sand or lob since theyre used a lot more frequently than the other irons

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

I did for a while, they soon left my bag, they were fiddly to use and easy to lose, I decided to connect them in pairs so the cover was always attached to another club in the bag. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Post theft of my clubs and gear, I have all new:In the bags:

ClicGear cart bag; Mizuno Carry Bag.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Lamkin mid size grips on all.

KZG VC-420 Driver 10.5 deg with 38 lb flex black NovaTech 6000 shaft.

KZG Q 3 Wood 15 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG Q 5 Wood, 19 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG H370 Tour hybrid 22 deg with Silver NovaTech shaft 38 lbs

KZG forged cavity back CBIII wedges AW -5 iron, bent 3 deg up, with silver 38lb graphite NovaTech shafts

KZG 60 degree forged wedge NS shaft.

Callaway X Jaw 64 degree wedge

Odyssey Putter.

Vision Golf Balls Test Pilot, Titleist ProV1x

Open for sponsorship

I don't because they damage clubs more than they protect them. They trap dirt and moisture on the face and lead to premature rust, etc. When I want to protect them, I weave a towel between the clubs.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I don't because they damage clubs more than they protect them. They trap dirt and moisture on the face and lead to premature rust, etc. When I want to protect them, I weave a towel between the clubs.

Well, that's what towels are designed to do, to dry clubs before you put them back into the covers.

What do you mean by premature rust? I he had clubs for years covered and I'm still waiting for them to rust....

I do carry covers in every piece of equipment, from my Driver down to my putter. I don't like my irons to have dings of scratches. Iron covers protect your investment. If I pay $900 for a new set of Mizuno irons, I want them to be in the best conditions as long as possible. As well, when you want to sell them, you get more money for flawless clubs...

Nope, never seen the point. The go flying into the ground at about 100mph, hitting assorted grasses, rocks and sand. A few tiny bag chatter marks aren't going to make a hell of a lot of difference anyway. I walk and carry 99% of the time anyway, so that doesn't mark them as much as getting slammed round on the back of a cart.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

Well, that's what towels are designed to do, to dry clubs before you put them back into the covers.

What do you mean by premature rust? I he had clubs for years covered and I'm still waiting for them to rust....

I do carry covers in every piece of equipment, from my Driver down to my putter. I don't like my irons to have dings of scratches. Iron covers protect your investment. If I pay $900 for a new set of Mizuno irons, I want them to be in the best conditions as long as possible. As well, when you want to sell them, you get more money for flawless clubs...

Premature rust, meaning that they cause rust spots. You must play cast clubs, as forged clubs will rust in covers in a day or two. As for protecting your investment, you're telling me that bag chatter from clubs lightly bumping around is more unsightly than dings from slamming clubs into the ground at over 90 miles per hour? I'm not buying that either. As for paying that much for Mizunos, well, good luck with the covers, because if they get rust spots (which their forged irons will, I have some that have never had covers and they have rust/wear spots on the face) and break, Mizuno is going to laugh in your face when you tell them you've used covers, because they specifically advise NOT to use them.

Directly from their website:

My forged irons have rust showing up on the face of the club, what should I do?

Forged heads are made of mild carbon steel that is chrome plated. Once you start hitting golf balls, you scratch the surface of the chrome and eventually expose the raw steel to moisture, and chemicals that can cause rust to form. The best way to minimize rust is to keep the irons dry at all times, wipe them after every shot and at the end of the round with a dry cloth. When cleaning, use only a NYLON brush (no metal) and dry them with a dry towel. If you get some rust forming, spray the surface with WD-40, clean with a soft nylon brush or Scotchbrite pad and wipe them clean with a dry cloth. Some high nitrogen fertilizers, sandy soil conditions and water with high iron content can accelerate the production of rust. The use of iron head covers is not recommended as they trap moisture and accelerate the production of rust.

Your course also must not use fertilizer or have any sand on it. All of this junk gets trapped in those covers, I don't care how well you dry or wipe them. The covers also sweat, meaning moisture. Like I said, you likely use cast clubs, because forged clubs will show rust spots in days with covers.

Then there's the fact that they just look plain silly and will get you laughed off lots of courses.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

i put them on only on the course and wipe my clubs off after i hit my shots, that takes 10-15 seconds max. and the moment i reach home i clean the clubs with a moist towel then a dry one and air dry them without the covers being on.

I know it sounds lk a hassle bt im actually willing to go to those lengths to protect my clubs.

yes i have forged irons, and i ve seen the article on mizuno. i alws thought it was some scheme from mizuno to get u to bang ur clubs up more so it looks older sooner.

i resorted to using iron covers because i really hate the clanging sound of the bag chatter whn i carry the bag around.

am i seriously still doing more damage to my clubs than protecting them if i do what i do and use iron covers?

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

I think if you do what you say are doing, your irons will look like new and last forever unless you go beating them on rocks. Before storing them for the winter if you live someplace you need to do that (I do), I'd take the covers off them and leave them off. You don't want condensation building up in them.

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

I, personally, would still weave a towel in between them. It keeps fertilizer from getting trapped on the faces under the cover and damaging the plating on the forgings, or if they're raw, keeps the metal from pitting. That's what happens, they pit and then develop voids. Use them, but do so at your own risk. I wouldn't, and I don't. I weave a towel through my clubs, as it provides the same amount of protection, and keeps stuff from getting trapped on the face.

If you really want to use the covers, I'd make sure if they're neoprene, to turn them inside out after each use, wash them off and then hang them to dry. If they're rubber/hard plastic like Castle Bays, stick a water hose in the opening after each use and flush the inside for 1 minute and then hang them up to drip dry. NEVER store the clubs with the covers on them.

In The Bag

Yes I wipe them after every shot I use the hard covers.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Per the FAQ section of Mizuno USA's golf website, I don not: "The use of iron head covers is not recommended as they trap moisture and accelerate the production of rust."

I'm pretty sure it takes rust a fair amount of time to develop even on a raw club. More immediate would be the problem of bag chatter during long trips to and from a golf course as that could involve tha heads banging against each other continuously for an hour or more, depending on the distance and traffic involved.

Shambles

I'm pretty sure it takes rust a fair amount of time to develop even on a raw club. More immediate would be the problem of bag chatter during long trips to and from a golf course as that could involve tha heads banging against each other continuously for an hour or more, depending on the distance and traffic involved.

Shambles

You don't have any raw clubs do you? Trust me, clean them with anything water based and forget to dry them. You'll see rust spots as soon as it starts to dry. It's really fast on raw clubs. Rust spots on soft forgings can happen within the space of a round, especially at a course that has had a recent fertilization because the chemicals expedite the process even more. On plated forged heads, it usually shows up in and around the grooves first. As for bag chatter, that's part of the game. A better way to protect clubs, honestly, is to weave a towel through the clubs around the hosel areas. Painted clubs (drivers, hybrids, etc) are covered because the paint chips easily. Non-painted clubs (putter, wedge, irons, etc) aren't covered because covers trap moisture, dirt, etc on the surfaces of the metal and oxidize (rust). Black oxide treatments? That's color controlled rust in the cold black ox process(the active ingredient is selenium dioxide, which oxidizes metal and changes the color of the oxidation from brownish/red to blacl). Hot salts black ox is too, but it also penetrates the pores chemically and bonds, coloring the metal's properties aside from colored surface rust, also lasts longer (still not permenant on golf clubs, anyone that's ever had an oil can(hot black-brown oxide), black oxide, etc club can attest to that).

In The Bag

You don't have any raw clubs do you? Trust me, clean them with anything water based and forget to dry them. You'll see rust spots as soon as it starts to dry. It's really fast on raw clubs. Rust spots on soft forgings can happen within the space of a round, especially at a course that has had a recent fertilization because the chemicals expedite the process even more. On plated forged heads, it usually shows up in and around the grooves first. As for bag chatter, that's part of the game. A better way to protect clubs, honestly, is to weave a towel through the clubs around the hosel areas. Painted clubs (drivers, hybrids, etc) are covered because the paint chips easily. Non-painted clubs (putter, wedge, irons, etc) aren't covered because covers trap moisture, dirt, etc on the surfaces of the metal and oxidize (rust). Black oxide treatments? That's color controlled rust in the cold black ox process(the active ingredient is selenium dioxide, which oxidizes metal and changes the color of the oxidation from brownish/red to blacl). Hot salts black ox is too, but it also penetrates the pores chemically and bonds, coloring the metal's properties aside from colored surface rust, also lasts longer (still not permenant on golf clubs, anyone that's ever had an oil can(hot black-brown oxide), black oxide, etc club can attest to that).

I'm using a raw Fourteen MT 28 low bounce and that club never gets anything more than a wipe or a water rinse and a brushing. It's a couple of years old and still reasonably fault free. There are a few scratches on the flange and a discoloration ( lighter shade ) in the part of the face that strikes the ball, but the head feels smooth to the hand and does not show any pitting. I rather wish this club had been made in stainless as then I would have been fairly sure of a very long partnership but for now, I'm enjoying the use.

Shambles

the only raw clubs i use are my sand and lob wedges, and i have no problems with rust being on the club faces as i lk the rust finish. but as i said i dont use a cover on those 2 clubs.

and dave i wasnt talking about polishing the clubs in btween shots.i wipe the dirt off my club after i hit a shot and im sure thats what people that dont use iron covers also do.

i never took more than 4 hrs to finish a round and that includes drinking a pint and having a pie aft the 9th.

slow play is just how some people play, i think it has nothing to do with using iron covers or not.

some ppl are just naturally absent minded or tardy ie ending up forgetting an iron cover or putter cover on the 5th hole and running back for it

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

In answer to the O.P. Yes, I use them - on all irons. If I'm in a motorised cart, to avoid bag chatter damage, I replace after each shot. If I'm using a push buggy/trolley, I take all the iron covers off before the round & then replace them afterwards. I don't have any dramas with corrosion b/c I clean the clubs after each round. I have forged clubs, so the iron covers keep them in great shape.

Oh, and I don't take any notice of derisive comments about iron cover users. :P

All of these people worrying about bag chatter, what do you do about slamming your clubs into the ground at 90 miles an hour give or take?

In The Bag

All of these people worrying about bag chatter, what do you do about slamming your clubs into the ground at 90 miles an hour give or take?

i think what most peoplethat use iron covers just dont like the dings and chips on the topline and the back of the club.sure the sole comes into the grass and sand but thats okay ites designed to cut turf and stuff.

if i get a big dent or make a big scratch on the chrome finish ill feel bothered by it enough to affect my shot.

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

Premature rust, meaning that they cause rust spots. You must play cast clubs, as forged clubs will rust in covers in a day or two. As for protecting your investment, you're telling me that bag chatter from clubs lightly bumping around is more unsightly than dings from slamming clubs into the ground at over 90 miles per hour? I'm not buying that either. As for paying that much for Mizunos, well, good luck with the covers, because if they get rust spots (which their forged irons will, I have some that have never had covers and they have rust/wear spots on the face) and break, Mizuno is going to laugh in your face when you tell them you've used covers, because they specifically advise NOT to use them.

Directly from their website:

They are not that bad,but ideal when traveling by car or plane.Slip em on when doing so!

Your course also must not use fertilizer or have any sand on it. All of this junk gets trapped in those covers, I don't care how well you dry or wipe them. The covers also sweat, meaning moisture. Like I said, you likely use cast clubs, because forged clubs will show rust spots in days with covers.

Then there's the fact that they just look plain silly and will get you laughed off lots of courses.

Yes, I use iron covers and have since I bought my first new set of Ping I-3's. I had those for 9 years and they looked better than most peoples clubs that are only 3 or 4 years old. To me it's a no brainer. Especially if you ride in a cart. The bag chatter is horendous while riding. And you can get a lot more damage from that than hitting the ground.

Who cares if other people don't like them. Honestly, I have been using them for the last 12 years and I have never heard one comment about them.

And I've never had any rust or dirt issues either. Unless you are just buying some really cheap ones I don't see how they would trap dirt or moisture in them unless you are cleaning your clubs wrong.

Yes, I use iron covers and have since I bought my first new set of Ping I-3's. I had those for 9 years and they looked better than most peoples clubs that are only 3 or 4 years old. To me it's a no brainer. Especially if you ride in a cart. The bag chatter is horendous while riding. And you can get a lot more damage from that than hitting the ground.

Who cares if other people don't like them. Honestly, I have been using them for the last 12 years and I have never heard one comment about them.

And I've never had any rust or dirt issues either. Unless you are just buying some really cheap ones I don't see how they would trap dirt or moisture in them unless you are cleaning your clubs wrong.

Totally agreed.

I use them, never had a comment (and what would m more ridiculous than a golfer making fun of someone else's equipment?), and couldn't care less if someone did anyway.

No rust, no problem ever with them...

You're using sand cast Pings. You couldn't damage them by running over them with an Abrams tank. Those things are indestructable. Can't stand Ping clubs, as I just don't like how they look, set-up, and feel to me, but I give them credit. They have possibly the most indestructable iron on the planet.

As for them not trapping dirt and moisture, flip one inside out, or if you're using the firm rubber ones, stick a waterhose inside and flush it with water over a bucket. You'll see what I'm talking about with dirt getting trapped inside. You can use them if you'd like, but really on Pings, you're not really doing much to protect them because of how well Ping builds their clubs. I think one could put their clubs in salt water for a month and they wouldn't rust. Don't know what their steel composition is, but they don't rust, and they don't ding up.

My uncle, until last month, played the same set of ISI's since they came out and he ordered them new from Ping. The only way you could tell they weren't brand new was by looking at the paintfill on the sole. I've seen him hit what I'd consider boulders and not have one ding on the sole.

In The Bag

I used to be anal about having iron covers on...now I don't bother. I actually love the look of come bag chatter on my VR forged wedges...

Titleist 910D2 9.5 | PX HZRDUS Handcrafted Yellow 75
Titleist 915F 16.5* | Aldila Rogue Black 80
Srixon Z U65 20* | Mitsubishi OT 105
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 4 | Project X LZ 6.0
Mizuno MP-15 5-P | Project X LZ 6.0
Vokey SM6 50.08F, 54.10S | TT DG S200

Vokey SM7 58.12D | TT DG S200
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #3 350g

Archived