Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

short iron approaches

Need some advice or thoughts.  A few days ago I hit all but one fairway but only hit 4 GIR. Many of those misses were 8i or less approach shots.  Day or two before I hit 75 percent of the fairways and similar GIR and shot 76. On my approaches with shorter irons, sometimes I chunk them or they only go about 3/4 of their desired destination.  Not sure if it is a mind thing, am I being too delicate, or what.  It was mentioned to me that I might be swaying which can be an issue for me.  Longer approaches are generally full or the low punch or whatever so seldom are they miss hit for distance. 

So frustrating sitting dead center sitting 110 with a PW and then hit 75 yards or even 30 yards. Some days Im pretty decent though,  I think I should open up a bit. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I am guessing you're not making perfect ball-first contact. A drill I use is to focus on a spot an inch or two in front of the ball and only think about hitting that spot, completely forgetting about the ball. Or you could put a small object or leaf just behind the ball, making sure not to hit it on the downswing.

Another thought: It may be an acceleration issue. You could possibly be accelerating to early, which could result in chunky shots. If you've ever heard of Swing Whistle (a training aid), accelerating through the impact zone is their main focus for players.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I would guess DEceleration, especially if you're tentative at all.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I am guessing you're not making perfect ball-first contact. A drill I use is to focus on a spot an inch or two in front of the ball and only think about hitting that spot, completely forgetting about the ball. Or you could put a small object or leaf just behind the ball, making sure not to hit it on the downswing.

Another thought: It may be an acceleration issue. You could possibly be accelerating to early, which could result in chunky shots. If you've ever heard of Swing Whistle (a training aid), accelerating through the impact zone is their main focus for players.

I use this  method a lot, I picked it up from Bobby Clampett's Impact Zone series...he does a lot of free tip videos and that was the main thought it one of them.

He actually recommends practicing with a small poker chip or something similar about 4 inches in front of the ball. You then concentrate on that instead of the ball and it will move your swing bottom forward giving you that ball then ground contact.

I do it on the course....I try to find a spot on the ground or a piece of grass a few inches in front of the ball and I focus on it.

You'll be surprised how much more you compress the ball and how straight you hit it.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I use this method a lot, I picked it up from Bobby Clampett's Impact Zone series...he does a lot of free tip videos and that was the main thought it one of them.

He actually recommends practicing with a small poker chip or something similar about 4 inches in front of the ball. You then concentrate on that instead of the ball and it will move your swing bottom forward giving you that ball then ground contact.

I do it on the course....I try to find a spot on the ground or a piece of grass a few inches in front of the ball and I focus on it.

You'll be surprised how much more you compress the ball and how straight you hit it.

I think that's where I got it from too — I went to one of his clinics. When I start striking my irons poorly, I go straight to that drill.

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Need some advice or thoughts. A few days ago I hit all but one fairway but only hit 4 GIR. Many of those misses were 8i or less approach shots. Day or two before I hit 75 percent of the fairways and similar GIR and shot 76. On my approaches with shorter irons, sometimes I chunk them or they only go about 3/4 of their desired destination. Not sure if it is a mind thing, am I being too delicate, or what. It was mentioned to me that I might be swaying which can be an issue for me. Longer approaches are generally full or the low punch or whatever so seldom are they miss hit for distance.

So frustrating sitting dead center sitting 110 with a PW and then hit 75 yards or even 30 yards. Some days Im pretty decent though, I think I should open up a bit.

could be many things - me 9.1 ghin 150 yards and in with no restricted backswing should hit every green - doesnt usually happen but should. Maybe look big picture forget flag and put little ball on big green surface- just a thought

Bags

Good advice. Few things to work on. Hit some short irons spot on today then some real bleeping head scratchers. At 11.2 GHIN, I feel with 7i or shorter in hand, the green should be a gimme for the most part. Not sure how many times today I had a short iron in for an easy GIR and flat out blew it. Killing me from getting to singke digits. Im taking a week from the course and will hit the range a few times for a small bucket with my shorties and work on things.

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Good advice. Few things to work on. Hit some short irons spot on today then some real bleeping head scratchers. At 11.2 GHIN, I feel with 7i or shorter in hand, the green should be a gimme for the most part. Not sure how many times today I had a short iron in for an easy GIR and flat out blew it. Killing me from getting to singke digits. Im taking a week from the course and will hit the range a few times for a small bucket with my shorties and work on things.

I am at a 7 and I can tell you that I still don't hit greens with 7i and under; which is the majority of the holes during a round. Don't beat yourself up too badly.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'd agree with RP58 above - we can't see what you're doing, but your local pro can.

But just to throw in another thought.... Maybe you're (consciously or unconsciously) tensing up on those approaches....(pressuring yourself, eg. "I *should* be making this shot!")

Tension is, of course, a swing killer. In addition to those focus tips, maybe try count off a slow, smooth swing tempo in your head?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Combo of things Im sure. Think I will video a few shots at the range then on the course. I do feel that sometimes I am trying to be too precise maybe. At 50 years old Im a much better player today then 15 years ago and Im very close to a single digit which is my goal by the end of September. Short game...short game....short game...

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Gotta follow the data... If my gap chart sez I should hit my 7i 150-yds, then I hit it 150-yds. But only if I make solid contact and have set my body and club edge correctly toward the intended target..! Still a work in progress for me, but so long as I have the right club (per chart), I generally hit it at least the prescribed distance...mostly... :blush: . If yer in between clubs or need to hit a "less-than-normal" full shot, well...that's just fell and something most of us are trying to figure out...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Hit medium bucket with all short irons and back to basic for me swing thought. A bit more weight on right foot, slow backswing with slight pause, and keep the left side shored up. I found I havent been doing that as much and it seems to make a difference and just needs to be a part of my pre swing thought process. I also found myself too close to the ball after I chunked one or two. Straightened it out I hope and its a good reminder why the range is good during the season.Ive been plsying solid since Feb so its mid season for me until Sept hunting season.

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Played tonight....81..no chunls and all decent short irons shots minus one on 18 which was just missed yardage with my SW. Shored up the left side and solid pre shot routine helped tremendously!

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Played tonight....81..no chunls and all decent short irons shots minus one on 18 which was just missed yardage with my SW. Shored up the left side and solid pre shot routine helped tremendously!

Nice to hear! Keep us updated on how things go. I've been trying to stress to my 12yo to keep a solid pre shot routine. He told me he gets nervous during PGA Jr matches and miss hits sometimes, the consistent pre shot routine is a big help to those scoring shots.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

• 2 weeks later...

If you're swaying in your swing it can cause the ball to come up short, it will also cause the ball to fade a lot. If you are always coming up short, you can always add a club. Knowing hat you have too much club can allow to do less thinking. So 110 shot is normal PW, but instead use the 9 iron, until you start hitting the ball too far that's a easy way to fix it, since you will likely be taking a much smoother easier swing with the 9i l, you may find that you are knocking it closer.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Realky hwve been concentratinv on my mental routine st set up. Chunking is currentky non-existent but I did post a couple high 80 rounds but it wasnt because of this. Shoring myself has remained strong.

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Archived