TESTERS WANTED! ×

Toe hang question

Tsax

Buying a new putter this year and SAM lab recommended a putter with at least 30 degrees of toe hang for my slight arc stroke. Definitely considering an evnroll, but none of their putters that 1) I like or 2) are offered in lefty have that amount of hang. The er2 comes close at 22 degrees. Should that be a concern or is the difference negligible? I know the best answer is to test one, but the closest evnroll dealer is a couple hours away so I was hoping to get some insight before making the trip.

Buying a new putter this year and SAM lab recommended a putter with at least 30 degrees of toe hang for my slight arc stroke. Definitely considering an evnroll, but none of their putters that 1) I like or 2) are offered in lefty have that amount of hang. The er2 comes close at 22 degrees. Should that be a concern or is the difference negligible? I know the best answer is to test one, but the closest evnroll dealer is a couple hours away so I was hoping to get some insight before making the trip.

I have a slight arc stroke and absolutely love the ER2. Does that mean it'll work for you? Not sure.

I used to put with a #9 style putter which has a toe hang so and I didn't have any trouble transitioning to the ER2.

I love the Evnroll line but maybe try something less expensive in the recommended toe hang first? You can probably pick up a #9 from Callaway Pre Owned for less than $100

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

First let me say that I am an advocate for what the Puttlab does from a stroke measurement perspective.  From a fitting perspective,  it is programmed to some theory on how to fit a putter.  As I understand, it you were to get a 30* toe hang putter and try it on puttlab it would probably tell you to get a different toe hang.   I personally think the difference you will see between 22 and 30 won't matter.   It recommended 30* for me as well, but I use about 70* toe down.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

In talking to the guys at Evnroll, it's possible to get some additional toe hang in their putters. One way they can do it is by using a different bend, or hosel. I had a conversation about a very similar situation in making a putter fit an arced stroke and be similar in toe hang to what I have. Send them an email, or give them a call, they're awesome at reaching-out. Heck, they even had me send two videos of me putting, and the specs of my putter to see if they could build something similar. Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I love the Evnroll line but maybe try something less expensive in the recommended toe hang first? You can probably pick up a #9 from Callaway Pre Owned for less than $100

# 9 is full toe hang. Like straight down. I dont think that is the correct style

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

# 9 is full toe hang. Like straight down. I dont think that is the correct style

You're right. I was thinking of the new Works version which is more of a mid mallet and less hang than previous models. But even that is probably way more than 30 degrees

You're right. I was thinking of the new Works version which is more of a mid mallet and less hang than previous models. But even that is probably way more than 30 degrees

I figured you were thinking of something else. Either that or you've been drinking heavily and got some putter models mixed up.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I really don't know if you would see a big difference of 22* toe hang vs 30* toe hang

Then again it is so hard to figure out a person's tendencies especially with putting.

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I think this is good advice. Maybe try to experiment a bit unless you have the cash to blow on an ER experiment.

I will also relay a story of when I went through a putter fitting at second swing. The fitter said he can dial in a driver in a very systematic way, but putters are very different.

Sometimes someones stroke says one style of putter but they pick up another and start draining them. They love the look at address and they feel like they can really see the line. So much of putting involves relaxing and having confidence that it is tough to argue with unquantifiable things like look and feel. Sometimes people come back and sometimes they hold onto it. 

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Probably not much help in you making a decision. But I think the SAM lab is a gateway drug to being a putter ho. Whether you see that as a positive or negative is up to you.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Probably not much help in you making a decision. But I think the SAM lab is a gateway drug to being a putter ho. Whether you see that as a positive or negative is up to you.

Interesting assessment. I went the other way. I used to change putters all the time but after a review of my stroke on puttlab I have settled into a single putter. I may goof off with others but unless I find something that fits my stroke i generally won't buy. I guess I am now just a putter fan.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I could easily see myself becoming a ho, but I try to keep things in a 5 year cycle. Driver one year, hybrid/fairway the next, irons, then wedges, and finally putter before starting all over again. Gives me something new to play with each year and gives technology in each area a chance to evolve. We will see if I have enough will power to keep it going after this ordeal...

I figured you were thinking of something else. Either that or you've been drinking heavily and got some putter models mixed up.

Oh. Is that wrong?

I have a strong arc according to the Ping software so I need a toe heavy putter.

I tried loads and the one I liked the best was a TaylorMade Spider mallet face balanced and zero toe hang- go figure. Feel over real.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I have a strong arc according to the Ping software so I need a toe heavy putter.

I tried loads and the one I liked the best was a TaylorMade Spider mallet face balanced and zero toe hang- go figure. Feel over real.

What putter did you try with the ping app? Was it the mallet you chose and if not try the new putter and see if it still shows strong arc? The reason I ask is that the ping app measures rotation and not actual stroke arc. The spider may actually be a better fit for you and your stroke is more suited to the lower rotation of that putter.

This is related to my comment about puttlab, changing putters can change how your putter moves during the stroke.

What putter did you try with the ping app? Was it the mallet you chose and if not try the new putter and see if it still shows strong arc? The reason I ask is that the ping app measures rotation and not actual stroke arc. The spider may actually be a better fit for you and your stroke is more suited to the lower rotation of that putter.

This is related to my comment about puttlab, changing putters can change how your putter moves during the stroke.

it was the ping anser 2. It stated I have a strong arc, I didnt know it measured rotation and not arc, whats the difference?

I was led to believe mallets suited a SBST stroke but it felt great when I tried a friends (who is an outstanding putter) so I bought one and my confidence is now very high, we'll see how it performs this season but it has to be better than my average of 37 putts per round last season. You cannot score well or even to handicap on 37 putts per round average.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

it was the ping anser 2. It stated I have a strong arc, I didnt know it measured rotation and not arc, whats the difference?

I was led to believe mallets suited a SBST stroke but it felt great when I tried a friends (who is an outstanding putter) so I bought one and my confidence is now very high, we'll see how it performs this season but it has to be better than my average of 37 putts per round last season. You cannot score well or even to handicap on 37 putts per round average.

Arc is the path that the putter travels on.  Rotation is how much the putter opens and closes during the stroke.  My guess is that if you tested your new face balance putter on the ping app you would now have less arc.   

The face balanced for SBST is a generally stated "fact" about putting.  In reality, the only way to be truly SBST is to manipulate the putter.  Think about the radius of a circle.  As the putter moves off of the 12:00 position toward 1:00,  it starts to move inside and for the putter to still be square to that path,  the putter has to rotate open.  The closer you stand to the ball, you generally have a smaller arc than if you stand farther away.  

The new trend in mallet putters is to have a flow neck to help this rotation.  All that being said, if the new putter is helping you start the ball on your intended line and you can control distance then it is the putter for you.  

Slight arc for me as well and also got fitted for th 7s Black. I believe the 7s is 30 degree to hang

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

I had a slight arc according to Ping, and went with a face-balanced Ping mallet 4 months after their "fitting".  My view is that fitting gets you in the ball park of what you need, but it boils down to what feels good to you and gives the best results.  I would never get a fitting and buy a putter without comparing the "fitted" putter to others that felt good to me, but that's just me.  BTW, I wanted to love the Evnroll putters after all the hype, but apparently they don't have one that beats other putters I've tried.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived