Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Square Strike Wedge Unofficial Review

ole gray

OG, do you suppose that you could have gotten the same results with some type of "traditional" club if you had put the same amount of time into practicing and doing the same kinds of drills with it? I'm wondering what percentage is the club and what percentage is the practice that you've put in.

Either way, I'm glad it's working for you.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I refer to that as a loaded question and it is subjective. I call a club like that a specialty club. Really it is no more out of the realm of things than say a special wedge grind and weight placement via lead tape. The main thing for ole gray is that he liked the look of the club to begin with and the set up and feel. That along with practice instills confidence. With a lot of my sets I do some strange setups. Some may ask why if I can still hit long irons do I carry a hybrid. I can hit a higher softer cut shot with the 22* hybrid than I can the 4 iron. I also like the hybrid out of a fairway bunker. Specialty clubs

Ole gray I like the fact you are using the claw grip on the pocket picker. Watching your videos you were straight through the hitting zone with it and steady. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I refer to that as a loaded question and it is subjective. I call a club like that a specialty club. Really it is no more out of the realm of things than say a special wedge grind and weight placement via lead tape. The main thing for ole gray is that he liked the look of the club to begin with and the set up and feel. That along with practice instills confidence. With a lot of my sets I do some strange setups. Some may ask why if I can still hit long irons do I carry a hybrid. I can hit a higher softer cut shot with the 22* hybrid than I can the 4 iron. I also like the hybrid out of a fairway bunker. Specialty clubs

Ole gray I like the fact you are using the claw grip on the pocket picker. Watching your videos you were straight through the hitting zone with it and steady. 

Thanks cuz!   Yea I have been playing around with my grip and for longer shots I'll go back to conventional and with the shorter shots the claw keeps everything nice and square.   I appreciate ya comments in this section Big Stu!   

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

No facebook for me, thanks.  This is as close as I'm going to get.  I don't know why anybody would give a crap what I'm doing or what I have to say (that's true here too, but y'all are stuck with me anyway!) :o

Anyway, I'm actually pretty fortunate because my son isn't at all concerned with the looks of his clubs, which means he can game that chipper, and won't care what anyone else thinks about it.  I'm pretty much the same way, and that's one of the reasons I'm able to seriously consider something like the SSW.  You might just inspire me to do it. ;)

Naaw your opinion is valued here or at least by me. Actually like I have said many times I could give two hoots less what anyone else plays. One of the things wrong with the world today IMHO is that folks are too worried about what someone else thinks or does.

I had someone on WRX try to give me the 3rd degree over me playing vintage not on the conforming list clubs. I set them straight to the fact I do not play comps or big money matches any more and I do not keep a USGA handicap. All of the different groups I play in could give two rips less what anyone else plays. I basically told the guy to load up and bring his billfold full of money to the beach and I would play clubs that I own that are on the conforming list just for him if it made him feel better. I say go for it get you a green thing.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I'm going to post my initial video however the quality is not what I wanted. It will show some good shots and I chipped in the last two so that's pretty special. I will go out later today or early tomorrow pre round and position the camera where you can see the balls approaching the hole. I will set up from different pin positions so you can see the results with a much clearer video.

https://youtu.be/N_0tbOURR04

A Star is born

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

OK, OG. Last question for now, I think. I know you said you can chunk it but is there anything in particular about the SSW, either in appearance or construction, that helps you keep from hitting it thin? This is as big an issue for me as chunking.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

OK, OG. Last question for now, I think. I know you said you can chunk it but is there anything in particular about the SSW, either in appearance or construction, that helps you keep from hitting it thin? This is as big an issue for me as chunking.

No sir nothing made in the design that I can find will eliminate the skinnies..   In fact if you are like me you are going to hit a few the first time you pick it up.   Don't let that scare ya because once you get the feel of it the skinnies and the chunks can be pretty much put to rest.  Well unless you get to nodding that big ole melon around too much and then all bets go out the window.   I will tell ya this.  On short chips always choke down to the metal and allow the club to slide along the ground using the bounce.   That will take care of  your sculling problem with the SSW.   I'm really fond of mine now and although you can screw up with it occasionally overall it's a solid piece of equipment. 

Cleveland

Is the Square Strike Wedge made in LH? I haven't Googled it yet.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Yup it is, $99. Gotta think about this...

Rick

Left Hand, 

Yes sir it sure is!   60 day money back guarantee too so if it doesn't fit your fancy, you can ship er back.  Back in the day I wish they had mules like that where you could ship em back if they didn't work. 

Cleveland

I confess to having a Square Strike as well.  I have not perfected it, but it has easily saved me 2 shots a round.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

Yup it is, $99. Gotta think about this...

Did you stop thinking and start buying? It's got to get here in time for me to try it out when I stop on the way north for you to hit the G400 Max.

My Bag:

Did you stop thinking and start buying? It's got to get here in time for me to try it out when I stop on the way north for you to hit the G400 Max.

Nope, I was chipping pretty good this morning with my regular wedges so I don't want to get them upset. You know how they can get.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Nope, I was chipping pretty good this morning with my regular wedges so I don't want to get them upset. You know how they can get.

Yes. Yes, I do. Look at another club even once, and they'll keep throwing it in your face whenever they're upset about something.

My Bag:

The ole pocket picker chipped several shots within "gimmie" range today which meant more change in my pockets.  One guy looked at me and ask if that was the club I had been putting so much time in around the practice green with.  I said yep and he said If it's not illegal then it should be...  :D

Note:  If you have a long uphill chip I have found it's better to use a conventional club .  The SSW is harder to judge where to land the ball on those type shots.  For instance I had a long shot up a two tier green today.  It was too long and sloped for me to putt and the SSW would have been hard to judge a landing spot.  I took out my 5 iron and used a putting stroke.  The ball came to rest within a few inches of the hole.  

Cleveland

The ole pocket picker chipped several shots within "gimmie" range today which meant more change in my pockets.  One guy looked at me and ask if that was the club I had been putting so much time in around the practice green with.  I said yep and he said If it's not illegal then it should be...  :D

Keep bangin' 'em in there OG! Soon enough they'll have to issue you your own Brinks truck!!! CHA-CHING$$$$!!! :P

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Keep bangin' 'em in there OG! Soon enough they'll have to issue you your own Brinks truck!!! CHA-CHING$$$$!!! :P

lol yea one old boy said let me take a look at that and then pretended he was going to chunk it in the woods.    :unsure:

Cleveland

lol yea one old boy said let me take a look at that and then pretended he was going to chunk it in the woods.    :unsure:

Heck, he'll probably be the next guy to get one!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I think GolfSpy STUDque should create an AD for the green machine and incorporate Ole Gray.  Maybe something like JibJab  :>)

I have to say I have become very interested in this club.  Thanks OG!

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

I think GolfSpy STUDque should create an AD for the green machine and incorporate Ole Gray.  Maybe something like JibJab  :>)

I have to say I have become very interested in this club.  Thanks OG!

Thanks  buddy.   When I first got it I was not too sure about this gimmicky looking club because it won't hop out of the box and fix ya chipping woes.  It will however work pretty darn good if you don't mind hanging out around a practice area and put some time in with it.   The reason I like it over the conventional PW is it has more forgiveness built in .   You still have to learn how to use what the club offers.  I play the ball off the instep of my right foot and use a short backswing with a solid strike though the ball.  You have to be consistent with your back and through motion to get a consistent distance.   Then you have to practice different length shots to know where to land the ball.  Once you get that figured out the SSW can become easy peasy and you start looking to chip the ball in the hole which I have done several times already.  

Cleveland

I suppose you can look around ebay and pick up one of those "change machines" like they have in walmart, and just mount the thing in the trunk of your car.

haha yea buddy  ;)   Hook it to the back of my tool box and let it clanity clang! 

Cleveland

I was wondering if you ever changed out the grip and if it affected your shot making?

Curious if the smaller grip size by the manufacturer was intentional because they learned it was easier to hit chip-type shots with it?!?

Good review...thanks for taking the time to do it.

-- P.J.

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.5c73aa0e191520c63e4a7567ea08cf4a.pngTour -  image.png.70e0eeb259be4d89842e31955c4a2f83.png
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

image.png

image.png

I was wondering if you ever changed out the grip and if it affected your shot making?

Curious if the smaller grip size by the manufacturer was intentional because they learned it was easier to hit chip-type shots with it?!?

-- P.J.

I did change the original grip to a larger grip (Super Stroke Slim) and it feels MUCH better now.  No doubt the smaller grip was in their (OEM) design however for me, it did not work.  Now I'm going to take the Super Stroke putter grip off.  I'm liking the SSW so much I want it to be USGA approved. I'll go with a midsize Golf Pride grip and it should be perfect for me. 

The SSW is a solid golf club which IMO can benefit a large section of the golfing community.  I'm happy that I took the plunge and now I wouldn't leave home without it. It's my comfort blanket for those shots around the green that use to cause extra strokes on my scorecard.  

Cleveland

I did change the original grip to a larger grip (Super Stroke Slim) and it feels MUCH better now. No doubt the smaller grip was in their (OEM) design however for me, it did not work. Now I'm going to take the Super Stroke putter grip off. I'm liking the SSW so much I want it to be USGA approved. I'll go with a midsize Golf Pride grip and it should be perfect for me.

The SSW is a solid golf club which IMO can benefit a large section of the golfing community. I'm happy that I took the plunge and now I wouldn't leave home without it. It's my comfort blanket for those shots around the green that use to cause extra strokes on my scorecard. :(

Why not go jumbo like your other grips?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Why not go jumbo like your other grips?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I went with jumbo the first time I took the original grip off. I had length added from 35.5 to 38 inches which made it too heavy.  I bet now with the club back to 35.5 the jumbo would be the ticket!   

Cleveland

Today I went by Dick's and picked up this grip for my Square Strike Wedge

mccgolfgrip.png

It looks great with the green backing on the wedge and feels just right with the stock 35.5 length and the grip size that works best for me.  

I have really put this little club through the wringer while playing with the stock grip and length, changing the length and removing the stock grip to a super Stroke one, and then bringing the length back to stock and putting the MCC Plus 4 grip on.   Whew a hunk a hunk of changes huh? Oh well that's how you put a club through the paces and believe me, I have really put the pocket picker through a workout!  I honestly think there will be no more alterations so the club can relax in the bag without fear of surgery.  :D  

Once the dayuuuummmmm rain gives us a break, I'll get back out there and hit/video a few 75 yard pitches and fairway bunker shots.  I'll throw in a few greenside bunker shots too. 

Cleveland

Today I went by Dick's and picked up this grip for my Square Strike Wedge

attachicon.gifmccgolfgrip.png

It looks great with the green backing on the wedge and feels just right with the stock 35.5 length and the grip size that works best for me.

I have really put this little club through the wringer while playing with the stock grip and length, changing the length and removing the stock grip to a super Stroke one, and then bringing the length back to stock and putting the MCC Plus 4 grip on. Whew a hunk a hunk of changes huh? Oh well that's how you put a club through the paces and believe me, I have really put the pocket picker through a workout! I honestly think there will be no more alterations so the club can relax in the bag without fear of surgery. :D

Once the dayuuuummmmm rain gives us a break, I'll get back out there and hit/video a few 75 yard pitches and fairway bunker shots. I'll throw in a few greenside bunker shots too.

Happy you like your “little green friend”. I just don't think I would like it, but I am intrigued

Rick

Left Hand, 

-- P.J.

PJ this may be pure speculation on my part but perhaps they put a smaller thinner grip on it to enhance feel

G

PJ this may be pure speculation on my part but perhaps they put a smaller thinner grip on it to enhance feel

Yep that is correct and it will probably work for the majority of golfers out there.   

Cleveland

Get ya one of these, and green-out the white script and markings. ;)

Edit:  I like it I think  :unsure: ....     After some thinking about it, my artistic penmanship would mess up that grip big time.... lol

Cleveland

Get ya one of these, and green-out the white script and markings. ;)

Rick

Left Hand,