Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Square Strike Wedge Unofficial Review

ole gray

This is great information. I have been looking at this club and needed some honest feedback on how effective it might be. My short game is the worst part of my game and I am fairly sure that I could probably shave a few strokes with better equipment. Think I am going to pick one of these up. Would be REALLY nice if they would sell the club without a grip on it or offer some different options and lengths though. I am definitely thinking about cutting it down to 33(ish) inches and throwing on a fatter grip. Going to order it tonight and give it a whirl. 

Just an average weekend hacker getting better one stroke at a time. And if not better, definitely happier  :D

In the bag:

:taylormade-small:      TaylorMade R9 SuperTri Driver

:nike-small:               Nike CPR 22* & 18* Hybrids

:nike-small:               Nike CPR Irons

:nike-small:               Nike SV 53* & 60* Wedges

:wilson-small:              Wilson Tour Special 1 Putter (cut down to 30")

:ph34r:                    Dunlop Ball Retriever......which fills my bag with all of your lost golf balls. Which is what I play.

:P                    Olukai Hiapo Sandals. But always barefoot on the greens.

This is great information. I have been looking at this club and needed some honest feedback on how effective it might be. My short game is the worst part of my game and I am fairly sure that I could probably shave a few strokes with better equipment. Think I am going to pick one of these up. Would be REALLY nice if they would sell the club without a grip on it or offer some different options and lengths though. I am definitely thinking about cutting it down to 33(ish) inches and throwing on a fatter grip. Going to order it tonight and give it a whirl. 

Good point re: the length, If I could go back to when I re-gripped mine I would be tempted to lop a couple of inches off too. When I look at Mr North video and how far bent over he is, he must be 7 feet tall!

• 1 month later...

I'm still bagging mine and the aka Pocket Picker is still taking them old men's quarters! 😉

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

On 8/31/2018 at 6:39 PM, sandruha said:

On 8/31/2018 at 10:56 PM, Jogaan said:

Good point re: the length, If I could go back to when I re-gripped mine I would be tempted to lop a couple of inches off too. When I look at Mr North video and how far bent over he is, he must be 7 feet tall!

How are you guys liking the SSW so far?  Are there any negatives that you feel you could work out with practice or technique change?   Hang in there as it takes quite some time to hone your skills with it.  It's easy to throw in the towel however I would stay the course !

Cleveland

Used this club all summer and have to say that I love it.  Have been playing for 30 years, chipping and pitching have long been a weakness.  I know the proper technique, just can’t pull it off under pressure.  In my experience every fatted or skulled chip just amps up the anxiety for the next one and before long you are dreading even the simplest of chips. In essence, you become a headcase. 

Enter Square Strike.  Easy to setup with upright lie and short putter type length.  Once you learn to just trust your putting stroke, in other words just smooth back and through with no real hit, it takes all the stress out of the shot.  And it goes where you aim it.  

It is by no means perfect and if you yip it, you can still hit some impressive skulls across the green.  But over time, I have seen so many good ones that I have gained enough confidence that now I am actually trying to make ‘em instead of just hitting the green.  Chipping has improved to the point that I take the Square strike out of the bag at times.  When I am on, I can get similar result with and 8 iron or U wedge.  Invariably , however, I find myself wishing the Square Strike were back in the bag at times.

It is also an excellent club for hacking out of the corn or any serious trouble where you just want to advance the ball.  

I have previously used the SmartSole or Niblick with success.  I like the Square Strike better, because of its beveled leading edge.  SmartSole was more prone to dig in my experience, although it produced some incredible spin on 60 yards knockdown shots.  

Initially I was somewhat embaressed to have this club in my bag.  Even had a headcover on it.  Seems though that everyone who saw the club in my bag wanted to try it and most people like it.   It’s just a matter of whether you have room in your bag for a specialty club.

In our usual foursome, there are 2 square strikes in play.  Part of the fun is that whenever somebody hits a good one with it, the hole foursome says  “Square Strike!”  Yes we are nerds, but it is fun nonetheless.

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2018 at 10:32 AM, Duffy said:

Used this club all summer and have to say that I love it.  Have been playing for 30 years, chipping and pitching have long been a weakness.  I know the proper technique, just can’t pull it off under pressure.  In my experience every fatted or skulled chip just amps up the anxiety for the next one and before long you are dreading even the simplest of chips. In essence, you become a headcase. 

Enter Square Strike.  Easy to setup with upright lie and short putter type length.  Once you learn to just trust your putting stroke, in other words just smooth back and through with no real hit, it takes all the stress out of the shot.  And it goes where you aim it.  

It is by no means perfect and if you yip it, you can still hit some impressive skulls across the green.  But over time, I have seen so many good ones that I have gained enough confidence that now I am actually trying to make ‘em instead of just hitting the green.  Chipping has improved to the point that I take the Square strike out of the bag at times.  When I am on, I can get similar result with and 8 iron or U wedge.  Invariably , however, I find myself wishing the Square Strike were back in the bag at times.

It is also an excellent club for hacking out of the corn or any serious trouble where you just want to advance the ball.  

I have previously used the SmartSole or Niblick with success.  I like the Square Strike better, because of its beveled leading edge.  SmartSole was more prone to dig in my experience, although it produced some incredible spin on 60 yards knockdown shots.  

Initially I was somewhat embaressed to have this club in my bag.  Even had a headcover on it.  Seems though that everyone who saw the club in my bag wanted to try it and most people like it.   It’s just a matter of whether you have room in your bag for a specialty club.

In our usual foursome, there are 2 square strikes in play.  Part of the fun is that whenever somebody hits a good one with it, the hole foursome says  “Square Strike!”  Yes we are nerds, but it is fun nonetheless.

Good writeup!  I keep mine in the bag and it comes into play on those shots that I just don't have the confidence with other clubs.  I will say I have a Cobra one length 19 degree hybrid on the way which I will play around with close to the green.  I've heard some real good feedback on the 7 iron length of the snake and how well it works on chips etc.   Should be an interesting comparison.  Plus the fact it's suppose to be handy from 2oo yards out too! 😉

Cleveland

On 11/1/2018 at 10:32 AM, Duffy said:

Never be embarrassed by any club you carry if you can hit it and it helps you score. Now one of my running partners Checkers has been carrying and using one since they came out and like Ole Gray it has helped him tremendously. He did paint the green on his black because he said he could not stand the bright green. But being around here and seeing a variety of golfers of all skill levels and parts of the USA and Canada too for that matter I have seen quite a few in bags. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

If it works and earns some quarters, joke's on the comedians that laugh at you.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

14 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

If it works and earns some quarters, joke's on the comedians that laugh at you.

I can sorta react to the laughs and jokes end of it for opposite reasons you know about. As in  " How in the world do you play with those antique blades?" But to note what you know about I did pull the antique blade Tommy Armour putter out and put the rusty Scotty back in. I putt better with Rusty

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

12 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I can sorta react to the laughs and jokes end of it for opposite reasons you know about. As in  " How in the world do you play with those antique blades?" But to note what you know about I did pull the antique blade Tommy Armour putter out and put the rusty Scotty back in. I putt better with Rusty

I really want to see that old Rusty Scotty.  That thing should be a legend by now around these corners of the internets.  

Gameday
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120

Classic Bag

34 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

I really want to see that old Rusty Scotty.  That thing should be a legend by now around these corners of the internets.  

Legend on the internet----- Hell fire it is a legend in real life here on the beach------- Promise you it will be in the bag when you come back down--- If it ever dries out and warms up

G

12 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Legend on the internet----- Hell fire it is a legend in real life here on the beach------- Promise you it will be in the bag when you come back down--- If it ever dries out and warms up

A little dry weather would be nice.  We have been hitting mud balls for days up here.

Gameday

Classic Bag

• 2 months later...

Bumping up this thread as I still bag my trusty SSW and one of my regular foursome players picked one up.   Says something huh?

Cleveland

I was just wondering about this the other day @ole gray.  Still picking pockets??

Gameday

Classic Bag

I was just wondering about this the other day [mention=67397]ole gray[/mention].  Still picking pockets??

Pocket picking fool!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Cleveland

On 3/11/2019 at 10:26 AM, Kenny B said:

"... it wasn't chunky at all.  You really can't chunk it with the Square Strike."  😀

Glad it's still workin' for ya!!

Oh yes you can. I deliberately chunked 2 with a guy's at Indian Wells to prove a point. No club is idiot proof. Checkers has even chunked his a time or 2 not deliberately of course. There used to be a rumor you could not shank a Eye 2 iron. I beat that one all to crap too. But remember I used to be a trick shot artist when I practiced stuff like that a lot. 

G

3 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Oh yes you can. I deliberately chunked 2 with a guy's at Indian Wells to prove a point. No club is idiot proof. Checkers has even chunked his a time or 2 not deliberately of course. There used to be a rumor you could not shank a Eye 2 iron. I beat that one all to crap too. But remember I used to be a trick shot artist when I practiced stuff like that a lot. 

Yep you can chunk and skull it especially when playing in this wet muck we have down south right now.     😣

Cleveland

3 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

You mean what you see on TV isn't real?  I'm shocked!  LOL.  

I have never seen anyone around here using a Square Strike, but if they help someone, great!  I can shank pretty much anything, including the first set of irons I had... Ping Eye 2.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 3/11/2019 at 10:26 AM, Kenny B said:

"... it wasn't chunky at all.  You really can't chunk it with the Square Strike."  😀

Glad it's still workin' for ya!!

😆

That comment is hilarious. 

I have no doubt these clubs help people, but who produces these commercials?  My favorite comment is on the G7 commercial.....”That’s crushed!”  I laugh every time I hear that commercial. 

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

The infomercial shows the players chipping from plush thick grass. We have very thin lies around a lot of our greens.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 1 month later...

I am 1 year into my square strike 56 degree wedge.  I am still loving it and feel super confident on the full swings with this thing as much as around the greens.  It launches a little lower than a regular sand wedge for me, but really bites when it lands.  I have made pars and bogeys when double and more was lurking.  I bought a spare, just in case they try to "improve" the club.

3 minutes ago, Fezzler said:

I am 1 year into my square strike 56 degree wedge.  I am still loving it and feel super confident on the full swings with this thing as much as around the greens.  It launches a little lower than a regular sand wedge for me, but really bites when it lands.  I have made pars and bogeys when double and more was lurking.  I bought a spare, just in case they try to "improve" the club.

Yea the SSW is similar to Depends because if I don't have one in my bag, I'll shat all over myself! 😳  I think people buy a club like this and expect it to work out of the box.   There is much to learn and no doubt many give up before they get to the good stuff. You are right about the ball grabbing when you pinch one with this bad boy!  It checks up like a butterfly with sore feet... 💣

Cleveland

• 2 months later...
On 5/21/2018 at 6:42 PM, BIG STU said:

Naaw your opinion is valued here or at least by me. Actually like I have said many times I could give two hoots less what anyone else plays. One of the things wrong with the world today IMHO is that folks are too worried about what someone else thinks or does.

I had someone on WRX try to give me the 3rd degree over me playing vintage not on the conforming list clubs. I set them straight to the fact I do not play comps or big money matches any more and I do not keep a USGA handicap. All of the different groups I play in could give two rips less what anyone else plays. I basically told the guy to load up and bring his billfold full of money to the beach and I would play clubs that I own that are on the conforming list just for him if it made him feel better. I say go for it get you a green thing.

People like that guy on WRX never played for any serious money. If he did, then he'd know "never bet the guy with old mix matched clubs,,, with lead tape and new grips."

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:           :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:       :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 25*

Irons:             :touredgeexotics:  E722 6-AW

Wedges:        :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”

14th club?     :cobra-small:  Speedzone  4H 21*  

:touredgeexotics:  E722 GW 51*                     

• 1 month later...

Update!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

46 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Update!

He nailed it!   💣🏌️‍♂️

I still have mine and swap it in and out with my Callaway Sureout wedge.  You do have to put practice time in with it.  It has a learning curve however it does make chipping easier. 

Cleveland

Just now, ole gray said:

He nailed it!   💣🏌️‍♂️

I still have mine and swap it in and out with my Callaway Sureout wedge.  It's a fun club for sure however you do have to put some time practice time in with it.  It has a learning curve however it does make chipping easier. 

Love how he was able to play the bump and run from tight lies so easily !

I can think of plenty of guys who either chunk or blade it and can't even get on the green...everyone knows how to putt and if you can putt you can use this.... a true pocket-picker!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

1 minute ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Love how he was able to play the bump and run from tight lies so easily !

I can think of plenty of guys who either chunk or blade it and can't even get on the green...everyone knows how to putt and if you can putt you can use this.... a true pocket-picker!

What blows your mind is the amount of check you can put on the ball with it.   If you pinch it correctly it stops quicker than a chicken in a fox den. 

Cleveland

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...