TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tee next to ball to eliminate shanks

figzuki

Afternoon from Tampa!!!

I am currently battling the shanks with literally everything except my putter. Driver off the heel, fairway wood off the heel, hybrid the same and irons not even going to mention how bad im shanking those.

Foind a video on youtube that suggested placing a tee next to tue ball to eliminate the shanks and I have to say it absolutely works!!

My question is, is this illegal to do while playing?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Taylormade SLDR (Cut down to 44)

Woods: Taylormade Jetspeed 3, 5 wood

Hybrid: Taylormade Jetspeed 3H

Irons: Taylormade Sppedblade HL 4-AW

Wedge: Cleveland RTX Satin, 54

Putter: Nike Method Core Drone

Dexterity: Left Handed

Sorry but no its not. But if ya ain't playing league or tournaments, I'd say give it a try during causal round. If it works, later just think of a spot on the ground as you had a tee there. Only advice I could offer is make sure your not too close to the ball in your stance

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sorry but no its not. But if ya ain't playing league or tournaments, I'd say give it a try during causal round. If it works, later just think of a spot on the ground as you had a tee there. Only advice I could offer is make sure your not too close to the ball in your stance

Thanks.

My instructor started with a tee in front of the ball but then taught me to focus on something directly in front of the ball. Could be a brown spot on the fairway, or divot, etc. once you developed that focus you won't need the tee.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Leave the Shanks to me Chief. As always someone will say go see a pro. My advice is to take a video of your swing. Then try to make a “perfect” swing in ultra slow mo, repeat it around 100 times before striking a ball.

Can't find the video, but if you can't make a perfect swing in slow mo, an at speed swing will be even worse.

There are other sides of the story that would say don't stand too far away...

Leave the Shanks to me Chief. As always someone will say go see a pro. My advice is to take a video of your swing. Then try to make a “perfect” swing in ultra slow mo, repeat it around 100 times before striking a ball.

Can't find the video, but if you can't make a perfect swing in slow mo, an at speed swing will be even worse.

There are other sides of the story that would say don't stand too far away...

Thanks. I'll try standinf a bit further away first and go from there. I have never recorded my swing so I'm going to do that today!!!

Another suggestion that seems to have some merit, from Adam Young's The Practice Manual (a very interesting read). He argues that once your body/mind settle into a pattern of doing something, it's (obviously) hard to create change. Even moving away from the ball, you make adjustments to resume hitting it in the spot you don't want to hit it.

What he encourages is intentionally working to learn how to hit different parts of the face. In other words, striking the sweet spot is a skill.

There are various ways to work at this. Impact tape is one. Several guys recommend foot spray. I favor dry erase markers. However you do it, see if you can intentionally hit the toe of your club, then the heel, then the middle. This "differential" practice (being able to intentionally do it wrong) is a great way to make impact into a controlled skill, rather than something that just happens randomly.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Another suggestion that seems to have some merit, from Adam Young's The Practice Manual (a very interesting read). He argues that once your body/mind settle into a pattern of doing something, it's (obviously) hard to create change. Even moving away from the ball, you make adjustments to resume hitting it in the spot you don't want to hit it.

What he encourages is intentionally working to learn how to hit different parts of the face. In other words, striking the sweet spot is a skill.

There are various ways to work at this. Impact tape is one. Several guys recommend foot spray. I favor dry erase markers. However you do it, see if you can intentionally hit the toe of your club, then the heel, then the middle. This "differential" practice (being able to intentionally do it wrong) is a great way to make impact into a controlled skill, rather than something that just happens randomly.

I really need to get that book - I hear so much about it.

I'm a foot spray fan myself, that's how I learned to start setting up with my driver toe lined up with the ball. Once I started doing that, my contact moved a lot closer to the sweet spot. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I really need to get that book - I hear so much about it.

I'm a foot spray fan myself, that's how I learned to start setting up with my driver toe lined up with the ball. Once I started doing that, my contact moved a lot closer to the sweet spot.

I recommend it: it's guaranteed to be different from every other golf book you've ever bought. But if you want to think about *how* to practice for improvement, not just *what* to practice, he gives instruction that's worth the money for the book.

Sent from my LG-G5 using the MyGolfSpy mobile app.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

There are lots of discussions and videos on shanking.  It's not a fun experience to be sure.  Using the tee works to some extent, but I have used a 2x4.  The consequences of hitting the 2x4 is greater.

The most common reason for shanks is getting closer to the ball on the downswing than at address, typically an over-the-top move during the downswing.  The trail shoulder become closer to the ball at impact.  Getting your swing on plane goes a long way to center impact for all clubs.  There are other ways to shank, but the OTT move is very common and the most likely culprit.  Get a pro to look at your swing or video yourself.  It's easy to see, even if you can't feel it.

It takes a lot of practice hitting the ball correctly to eliminate shanks.  I go through periods with no shanks, then up one pops!!  Back to the 2x4.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Eggs are another one I've seen that carry a large embarrassment factor but with less risk of damage to clubs. 

There are lots of discussions and videos on shanking.  It's not a fun experience to be sure.  Using the tee works to some extent, but I have used a 2x4.  The consequences of hitting the 2x4 is greater.

Lefty in the Mitten State currently carrying: TM '17 M2 9.5  w/ Fujikura Pro XLR8 Â· Exotics EX10 15° w/ GD Tour AD Stiff ·  :cobra-small: F7 HY @ 20° ·   :cobra-small:   Forged Tec Black 5i-AW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 ·  :callaway-small:  MD2 56°+ 60° ·  :nike-small:  Method B2-01 · Kirkland Signature · Clicgear 2.0 · Course photo albums: Boyne Highlands + Bay Harbor (Michigan) | Wailea Gold & Emerald (Maui) | Forest Dunes (Michigan)

Eggs are another one I've seen that carry a large embarrassment factor but with less risk of damage to clubs.

That would be a bit messy

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• 2 weeks later...

My instinct tells me you are using that tee basically in an abnormal manner.

Rule 14-3. Artificial Devices and Unusual Equipment; Abnormal Use of Equipment
Rule 14-3 governs the use of equipment and devices (including electronic devices) that might assist a player in making a specific stroke or generally in his play.
Golf is a challenging game in which success should depend on the judgement, skills and abilities of the player. This principle guides the USGA in determining whether the use of any item is in breach of Rule 14-3.
For detailed specifications and interpretations on the conformity of equipment and devices under Rule 14-3 and the process for consultation and submission regarding equipment and devices, see Appendix IV.
Except as provided in the Rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment, or use any equipment in an abnormal manner:
a. That might assist him in making a stroke or in his play; or
b. For the purpose of gauging or measuring distance or conditions that might affect his play; or
c. That might assist him in gripping the club, except that:
(i) gloves may be worn provided that they are plain gloves;
(ii) resin, powder and drying or moisturizing agents may be used; and
(iii)a towel or handkerchief may be wrapped around the grip.

Almost similar to this decision:

14-3/10.3 Use of Rod During Round for Alignment or as Swing Aid
Q.During a stipulated round, may a player use a rod or similar device to check his alignment or his swing plane?
A.No. The player would be using an artificial device or unusual equipment to assist him in his play in breach of Rule 14-3. Carrying the rod or similar device is not, of itself, a breach of a Rule. (Revised)

WITB - :taylormade-small:

Driver - TaylorMade M2 - Stiff flex / 12.5*

3 & 7 Wood - TaylorMade M2

6i -Gap - TaylorMade M4- Stiff flex

Wedges - TaylorMade ATV 55* & 60*

Putter - Odyssey 2 Ball

Ball - Titleist Pro V1

Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Right Handed Neutral lie on all clubs

• 3 weeks later...

For some reason when I'm trying to hit my 56 around 100-110 I get the shanks badly! It's from standing too close to the ball in my case. these shanks aren't your normal shanks. I'm talking dead left!!

I caught a case of the shanks at the World Am a few years ago. Asked my coach what I could do as a quick fix, he told me to try and it it off the toe. Once you start actually hitting off the toe you can just hit off the center. Worked well enough to get me through. 

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

Archived