TESTERS WANTED! ×

SST Pured Driver Shaft Pured or Installed Incorrectly?

mcmarsico

For Christmas this past year, I was given a driver fitting at Club Champion along with the driver/shaft I was fitted for. I ended up going with the Rogue Sub Zero with a HZRDUS Black 6.0, so it was early February before I had it in hand. After playing with the driver for a little over a month, I decided the trajectory was a little flatter than I wanted it, so I increased the loft 1 degree. In doing so, I knew I would be altering how the shaft (which was sst pured) was oriented, but was ok with that just to see how I liked the flight. I figured if I liked the flight, I would just go back to Club Champion and have them reorient the shaft. Well, not only do I like the flight more, I also like the feel of the shaft more as well, which raises some questions? 

-Was the shaft not properly pured? 

-Was the shaft not properly installed? Club Champion puts a P on the shaft for where the spine is located, and that was installed facing down at first. Now, after increasing the loft, the sticker is facing up. 

-I know some people don't think puring a shaft is worthwhile...is this just evidence for that mindset? Or it is just something about this specific shaft/my swing that is causing me to prefer the way it is oriented currently? If it helps, my swing speed with driver is right at 105 with a quick tempo.  

Any suggestions/information you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Driver: TS3, 9* (C1 setting, surefit cartridge in fade setting)

3/4 Wood: 917D2, 16.5 degrees (D1 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2, 19 degrees (C3 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-Iron (23 degrees); Mizuno MP-18 SC 5-iron(26) and 6-iron(30); Mizuno MP-18 7-iron(34), 8-iron(38), 9-iron(42), and P Wedge(46). Nippon Modus 120x shafts. 1 degree upright.

Wedges: Mizuno S-18 50, 54, and 58 degrees. 50 is 1 degree upright, 54 and 58 are standard lie. Nippon Modus 120x, soft stepped in the 54 and 58.

Putter: Evnroll ER1

Right-handed

Atlanta, GA

For Christmas this past year, I was given a driver fitting at Club Champion along with the driver/shaft I was fitted for. I ended up going with the Rogue Sub Zero with a HZRDUS Black 6.0, so it was early February before I had it in hand. After playing with the driver for a little over a month, I decided the trajectory was a little flatter than I wanted it, so I increased the loft 1 degree. In doing so, I knew I would be altering how the shaft (which was sst pured) was oriented, but was ok with that just to see how I liked the flight. I figured if I liked the flight, I would just go back to Club Champion and have them reorient the shaft. Well, not only do I like the flight more, I also like the feel of the shaft more as well, which raises some questions?

-Was the shaft not properly pured?

-Was the shaft not properly installed? Club Champion puts a P on the shaft for where the spine is located, and that was installed facing down at first. Now, after increasing the loft, the sticker is facing up.

-I know some people don't think puring a shaft is worthwhile...is this just evidence for that mindset? Or it is just something about this specific shaft/my swing that is causing me to prefer the way it is oriented currently? If it helps, my swing speed with driver is right at 105 with a quick tempo.

Any suggestions/information you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

With the Callaway tip, it will have no impact on the position of the Pured shaft. If they installed Club Conex tip then the shaft would be out of it's optimal position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I would say this is evidence of shaft manufacturing having tighter tolerances and puring not being needed. Especially in graphite shafts. If it actually has any effect it seems to be very minimal to me

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Like jshuff mentioned with a Callaway adapter the shaft does not spin when you adjust it.  It should stay in the same orientation.

So now I'm curious how you adjusted the shaft if it's been spun 180 degree's from how it was.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Thanks for the replies. I believe that they just used the Callaway adapter, but maybe not since you are saying that I should have been able to change loft settings without the shaft (and grip) turning. I'll take a picture later this week when I get to play again and post in this thread. 

Do any of you know what "should" be different in playing with the shaft turned 180 degrees from its pured orientation? I'm liking the flight of my drives much better now, and don't know if I want to have them turn it back to its "correct" orientation.

Thanks again! 

Driver: TS3, 9* (C1 setting, surefit cartridge in fade setting)

3/4 Wood: 917D2, 16.5 degrees (D1 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2, 19 degrees (C3 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-Iron (23 degrees); Mizuno MP-18 SC 5-iron(26) and 6-iron(30); Mizuno MP-18 7-iron(34), 8-iron(38), 9-iron(42), and P Wedge(46). Nippon Modus 120x shafts. 1 degree upright.

Wedges: Mizuno S-18 50, 54, and 58 degrees. 50 is 1 degree upright, 54 and 58 are standard lie. Nippon Modus 120x, soft stepped in the 54 and 58.

Putter: Evnroll ER1

Right-handed

Atlanta, GA

If you like the flight better then don't do anything. Even if shaft PUREing does anything quantifiable (and I'm in the doubtful camp) that doesn't mean that change is a benefit to you. If this way is better then it's better! Congrats on finding something that works

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Just my two cents. Pureing does have benefits. For the average or slightly above average it may or may not benefit you in a way you can tell. At the end of the day what is important is finding something that feels good, you hit well, and you hit consistently. A pro once told me I'd sacrifice 20 yards to hit every fairway. Find what works and love it!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

it would certainly make me question the value of puring a shaft if this were my experience.  Funny thing is, what I've learned in the last year or so, especially from the WRX Forums, is that up until a few years ago I played clubs that were unhittable for a weekend golfer, with grips what were unusable for any golfer, with a driver that hardly goes anywhere, with balls you that can't stop on a green, with a swing that can't possibly score well and somehow managed to shoot in the 80's as a weekend golfer that didn't practice. 

I think we put far too much thought and value into the equipment and not enough into the man or woman holding the sticks :D

Personally I would say this is evidence of shaft manufacturing having tighter tolerances and puring not being needed. Especially in graphite shafts. If it actually has any effect it seems to be very minimal to me

... I have spoken to several shaft OEM's about Puring and Flo'ing. One of the best engineers in the game that designed some of the most popular shafts of all time told me he found no evidence in all his testing that would indicate either has any advantage with modern shafts. Even cheap shafts do not benefit from Flo as they may begin to wobble excessively after being twanged but every first pass of the shaft was dead straight. And we only swing a shaft once for each shot. That was a real eye opener for me. He admitted their "may" be some advantage to Puring steel shafts in a set of shafts so they all react the same way since some have noticeable spines, but there is no need to pure modern graphite iron shafts. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

My Aerotech SF shafts were all spine aligned by my fitter-builder. (irons only of course) I couldn't tell you if it helps or not. It was just a part of his building procedure. Can't hurt I suppose.

What I do think works for drivers and FW metals is: the ShotMaker graphite shaft insert. I have one in my SLDR and in my Wishon 4w. I have absolutely no supporting data to back up my claims but; the clubs feel much more solid - good and I believe my shot disbursement improved a bit.  For those interested, MGS did a review and testing of them many years ago. Just do a search in the Labs area and you'll find it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Archived