Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Weight loss and swing adjustments

revkev

Thought I'd bump this

I've incorporated a golf swing speed specific training program into my fitness quest. Has anyone else out there tried this?

I played yesterday with very interesting results. Everything felt weird the first few holes and then it started to kick in.

Even though the swing felt weird on 2 I hit it to a spot I haven't been to for five years. More telling I was forty yards ahead of guys whom I'm only a bit longer than.

I actually had a decision to make about going for the green or not on a 480 yard par 5 - didn't like the forced carry over trees so laid up right and wedged on but we had that drive at 256 on the GPS. (That's sea level with very little roll and no wind aid). I hit two or three more really well and out in areas I haven't touched in a number of years also.

On a negative note I had trouble finding the right slot with my irons and got stuck inside a few times - hit two six irons that really hurt me from posted big a good score. I also hit 39 shots with putter. (A few of those were Texas Wedges).

So 79 was a reasonable score.

Going to hit the practice green on my way to work.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What are you doing for “golf specific swing training”? Specific weight training?

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I'm losing distance with my weight loss guess it's time to go get some lessons again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yup, time for a tune up T. The Pros notice flaws right off and can get you straightened out.

I gained a few mph ball speed and noticeable distance. Last few outings felt a bit “off” so my time to get a tune up!

Rick

Left Hand, 

What are you doing for “golf specific swing training”? Specific weight training?

Stretching, swinging a light club as fast as possible, swinging my driver as fast as possible, Band exercises designed to increase strength for speed, push ups, swinging a light club and my club as fast as possible twice a week. Swinging a light club got club the next day 30 times as fast as possible the day after those two days.

I was hurting after the first round of that. I tolerated the second and third round much better - just a little sore. Playing in league tomorrow evening so we will see how that goes.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Stretching, swinging a light club as fast as possible, swinging my driver as fast as possible, Band exercises designed to increase strength for speed, push ups, swinging a light club and my club as fast as possible twice a week. Swinging a light club got club the next day 30 times as fast as possible the day after those two days.

I was hurting after the first round of that. I tolerated the second and third round much better - just a little sore. Playing in league tomorrow evening so we will see how that goes.

Sounds interesting. I think what you're doing with the bands I'm doing similar with TRX which does seem to help. The swinging light club, Ive was told about that a while ago and forgot about it. Need to start that again.

Thanks!

Rick

Left Hand, 

There was a segment on Golf Channel today showing the exercises using bands and other equipment just for the golf swing. Similar to what you are doing.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I contacted PFS through Instagram and they sent me a workout program for free. Each day has about 30 exercises to do, and some need a good bit of area to be able to complete them, so we'll see if I can't get going on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Hey all. I'm super late to this discussion, but my first career was in exercise physiology and nutrition. If anyone ever has questions about diet, exercise or even if some article is real or not, please don't hesitate to use me as a resource. I can't promise it'll make you a better golfer but ya never know.

Cheers

Driver: Cobra F7+ - 3W: Cobra F7 - 2i: Cobra King Utility Iron - 3-PW: Mizuno MP 59 - 52/56/60: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 - Putter: Scotty Cameron Select 2.0

After losing 17 lbs this year and doing some cardio and weight training, mostly TRX I've noticed a gain of the driver. Oddly enough nothing from the irons in fact irons seem a bit “dead”. I'm wondering if I need different shafts?

Rick

Left Hand, 

My pro saw me on the range the other day and loved how I was firing my right side. Now I need the get that swing to the course. I'm playing Friday which means my body will be rested from yesterday and today's workout.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived