TESTERS WANTED! ×

5 wood vs 15-20* hybrid

HareJordan

I don't like hitting fairways from the ground so I go right from my 3 iron to my 16 degree hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

\

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 1 year later...

Took me years to learn to ,love what I now use: Driver, 3w, 4h. 5h. 6-Lw. Not many shots I cannot hit with one of these

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

On 4/28/2018 at 4:50 PM, revkev said:

If you're just curious none

I go 22 degree hybrid, 4 wood, driver. That combination fits my swing, my gapping and the courses that I regularly play best. It allows for nice 12 yard spacing all the way to my 60.

If you're doing this to figure out what you should do - don't. Your game and where you play is unique to you. Ask your pro what he recommends for you or do some trial and error to see what combo works best.

Good luck!

Interesting that this is almost my exact answer, except my hybrid is 19° with a 22° 4 iron crossover.  Honestly, the numbers on irons anymore or so jacked that they really just need to start putting the lofts on clubs.  I play a "4 wood", which is 16.5° fairway club, because I suck with a 3 wood on a consistent basis.

But the rev is right.  Put clubs in your bag that fit the golf course you play the most.  It will be different for everyone.  If you read enough about what the pros put in their bags, you'll find that it varies from week to week, depending on what course they are playing.  They are always switching out fairway clubs for long irons or hybrids in some different shape or form.  Same with their wedges.  I play a mid bounce 58° wedge because it suits my home course.  However, if I always had a ton of tight lies around greens I would be playing a low bounce wedge.  If I had a bunch of thick rough around the green, high bounce wedge.  My home course has a mixture of both of those, and I can only have 14 clubs, so mid bounce lob wedge it is for me.  Works great for me.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I go from a 15* 3 wood to an 18* hybrid then a 22* 4-iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

------------------------------

Driver:   Titleist TSr2 11 - UST Helium 5F3

Fairway: Titleist TS2 16.5 and 21 - Evenflow Riptide CB R

Irons: Titleist U505 4U and T300 5-GW - Aerotech SteelFiber i80 R

Wedges:  Cleveland Black RTX ZipCore 54 and Full Face 58 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Putter:  Odyssey TriHot 5K TripleWide

Bag:  Titleist 15 Cart

I prefer a 5-wood because the head has a higher MOI, so its more forgiving and the shaft is longer, so you get more distance.  I tried to learn how to hit hybrids for years but never really got a feel for them.  I always seemed to top them because I want to put them a bit forward in my stance and sweep them off the ground, like a fairway wood.

When I tried putting them more in the middle of my stance and hitting them like a mid iron, I would block them to the right.

Every now and then I would be able to put it together and be able to hit them well but I was very inconsistent with them.  Now, Ive got a 5-wood and the thing is a cannon.  Even when my swing is a little off, I can hit it 200 yards and fairly straight.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Most hybrids I’ve tried are hook prone. One reason is that they tend to have upright lie angles. My new Hogan hybrid is 18* loft and 58.5 lie, close to a typical 5 wood lie angle. The thing is a crusher and not hooky at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

------------------------------

Driver:   Titleist TSr2 11 - UST Helium 5F3

Fairway: Titleist TS2 16.5 and 21 - Evenflow Riptide CB R

Irons: Titleist U505 4U and T300 5-GW - Aerotech SteelFiber i80 R

Wedges:  Cleveland Black RTX ZipCore 54 and Full Face 58 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Putter:  Odyssey TriHot 5K TripleWide

Bag:  Titleist 15 Cart

After getting fit into the G410 irons and fitting myself into the F9 driver this season I have been demoing the G410 and F9 hybrids. I currently game an older cobra 17* 2 hybrid which I hit 210-230 depending whether it is off the ground or a tee. 

Most of the Golf Town locations around me do not seem to have the 2H in stock for the Ping or Cobra, so I have been hitting the 19* models. One day I tried the F9 hybrid against the F9 5 wood in standard loft since there were no 17s. I was surprised to see the same distance from the hybrid due to better contact, I figured the 17* would be more comparable to a 5W while also getting a tighter dispersion. Has me very interested to get my hands on the 2H and see whether there is any improvement over my 8 year old model. 

Like anything equipment related, it's highly personal and your only solution is to demo them for yourself. The shorter shafts improves my contact and the smaller head is better from a variety of lies and varying trajectories. The perfectly struck shot will be slightly longer with a wood but in my experience the average with the hybrid is better, especially the misses. I did struggle with hooking higher lofted hybrids this year which got subbed out for 4 and 5 irons (again, better misses and even less need for max distance in this part of the bag). The 2H doesn't seem to have the hook problem and the adjustability on new models should further mitigate it. So that should be less of a stigma than when hybrids first came out. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0