5 wood vs 15-20* hybrid

Our Sponsors

If you're just curious none

I go 22 degree hybrid, 4 wood, driver. That combination fits my swing, my gapping and the courses that I regularly play best. It allows for nice 12 yard spacing all the way to my 60.

If you're doing this to figure out what you should do - don't. Your game and where you play is unique to you. Ask your pro what he recommends for you or do some trial and error to see what combo works best.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 9

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Just curious what the popular choice is. Assuming you hit these clubs the same distance +/- a couple yards, what do you prefer to have in the bag? No specific to any brand, just wondering what the majority likes to hit.

I just went driver, 3w, 5w 4-LW on the new set coming in.  Currently, I have driver, 3w, hybrid 3-SW.  I actually prefer a hybrid as it's easier to hit from the fairways and rough, but thought the 3w/5w combo can give me a bit more distance.  We'll see how the testing on the F8's go.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 3

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 SEL Project X 5.5 shafts 5-PW

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB Project X 5.5 shaft 4 Iron

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I'd go with the 5 wood, simply because the larger head gives me confidence. I've had issues with hybrids pretty much since I took up the game 6-7 years ago and have yet to find one that I can hit consistently. My Heavenwood, on the other hand, is one of the most consistent clubs in the bag. I used to have an X2Hot 5W that the HWood replaced. 

• Like 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

Driver, 3wd, 3/4 hybrids...I've been looking to add a 5wd, but have not found one that I like looking at, they are too big for my eyes but I still want one.

• Like 1

WITB:

Driver:   :cobra-small: F9 driver 9* stiff shaft 

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* regular shaft

Hybrids:  :nike-small: Vapor Flex  3 hybrid regular shaft 

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Ben Hogan BHB01 blade

Ball:  :Snell: Black

Bag: 2015 Ogio Chamber Cart Bag & 2018 MyGolfSpy Stand Bag

5w every time. I love how versatile it is and the gapping for me is perfect. Plus I can't hit hybrids. I don't know why. Just can't, like some giant mental block for me.

• Like 2

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero (8.5* HZRDUS Smoke Shaft)

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies 2 (15*) 

5-Wood:  :adams-small: Tight Lies 2 (19*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 5-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR or a :srixon-small: Z-Star

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

I just pulled out my 5w in place on my Adams Red 2h. I seldom hit the 5w and the 2h is money for me. I carry driver, 3w. 2h

• Like 2

DRIVER: Titleist 905R S 10.5

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha XS

Irons- Titleist 716 AP1 S 1/2 over 2 degrees upright

Vokey SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I like carrying a 3 wood in the bag most places I play. I carry hybrids in place of my 3 and 4 irons. Some courses I play require accurate tee shots so then I pull either the lob wedge or 3 wood and add a 2 hybrid to my bag. (I call it a 2 hybrid, it's really a 3 hybrid adjusted as strong as it can be with a 3/4 inch longer shaft) it gives me lots of roll but it's great to play on shorter more technical holes. I have been recently thinking of adding a 5 wood to the rotation, especially when playing in scrambles or other events that I want to be tackling greens from further out.

So I side with what Revkev said, think about where you normally play and what kind of shots you want to have in your bag.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5w every time. I love how versatile it is and the gapping for me is perfect. Plus I can't hit hybrids. I don't know why. Just can't, like some giant mental block for me.

Man I love it when others say this. I'm the exact same way, no matter what hybrid I try I just can't be consistent. Makes me feel like I'm not so alone when others rave about how awesome hybos are  :D

• Like 2

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

Personally, I will fill the bag with clubs that fit the course I am playing.

At my club, I haven't hit a 3 wood in over a year. No need to carry one.

I have a mix of fairways and hybrids available that fly high and low that give me plenty of options.

Try that.

• Like 1

What I lug around the golf course in my MacKenzie Walker.

Driver -   Ping G410 Plus 9° Tour 65 S
Fairway -  :srixon-small: Z785 13.5° Tensei CK Pro Orange 70 S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: Z785  TTDG IT S400 3,5-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX4 Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Nike  Method Converge B1-01 UST Frequency Filter/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black / Ping Anser F/ Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

If you were to be able to hit them the same distance and out of the same type of conditions, I would choose the 5 wood every time. Since we don't usually have the same type of course conditions, or grass conditions, it's not that simple, I use a hybrid set at 17.5 and love it for the courses and conditions I play, it works better than the 5 wood.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Man I love it when others say this. I'm the exact same way, no matter what hybrid I try I just can't be consistent. Makes me feel like I'm not so alone when others rave about how awesome hybos are :D

You're definitely not alone. When I hit a good hybrid shot it's beautiful. Unfortunately I only hit it like that about once in every ten attempts.

I went with an ironwood thinking that would be easier to hit, but I am still trying to figure that out also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen1 0811X 12° driver w/Project X Evenflow Blue 55g shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

:srixon-small: Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 19° 3 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
:tour-edge: HL4 5-6 Ironwood w/UST for TE graphite shafts
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 Tour+ irons 7-GW w/UST Competition Series graphite shafts
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:cleveland-small:  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5

Man I love it when others say this. I'm the exact same way, no matter what hybrid I try I just can't be consistent. Makes me feel like I'm not so alone when others rave about how awesome hybos are :D

Won't here a love of hybrids from me, just can't seem to get them. I like having someone in the boat with me. #5wood

• Like 2

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero (8.5* HZRDUS Smoke Shaft)

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies 2 (15*) 

5-Wood:  :adams-small: Tight Lies 2 (19*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 5-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR or a :srixon-small: Z-Star

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Since the OP indicated that I hit them the same distance,  I would have to go with which I hit better.  For me that is a hybrid. For others it is a 5W.  When I gamed a 5W,  I would hit some good and some really poor.  Finding a hybrid that worked for me made it an obvious answer.  The problem was that that was a hot seat in my bag for a while as I couldn't find  hybrid or 5W that I hit well. 

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I play either-or depending on what course I play. I have a 19 degree 5 wood and a 17 degree hybrid that I can swap out. I find the 5 wood to be easier to hit off the tee, and the hybrid easier to hit off the fairway. And when I find the rough off the tee on a par 5 the hybrid is a great club to have in the bag. Picking one or the other will depend on the eye of the beholder. Test out some clubs and see what works best for you.

<p>WITB: All Wilson EverythingDriver:  :wilson_staff_small:  FG tour F5 9*3 wood:  :wilson_staff_small: FG tour F5 13.5*</p><p>Hybrids:  :wilson_staff_small: FG tour F5 17* and 23*5-GW:  :wilson_staff_small: C100 with KBS Tour V 100g shafts Wedges:  :wilson_staff_small: FG tour PMP frosted 54* and 58*Putter:  :wilson_staff_small: Lincoln ParkBall:   :wilson_staff_small: Duo SSP(testing) and :srixon-small:  Z-star

Haven't used a 5 wood in years but might try one again and see how it fits my game ... right now Driver, 3-Wood, 3 and 4 Hybrids, 5-PW, and 3 more wedges to fill the bag

What's in my  :titelist-small: 14 Way Stand Bag

Driver:   :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha 816 DBD 9° (Regular Flex)
Fairway:  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha 816 14° (Regular Flex)
Hybrids:  :callaway-small: XR 19°XR 22° (Regular Flex)
Irons: :callaway-small: XR Pro 5-PW (Std Loft/Lie, Regular Flex)
Wedges: :callaway-small: MD3 50
°,54°,58° (Std Loft/Lie, Regular Flex)
Putter: post-56870-0-25810000-1458757651.pngZAAP Alpha (35")

Hit both and pick which fits your game and needs best. For me I go hybrid because I like it more out of the rough than a wood. Also for some reason to me 5 wood looks like a ton of loft and I hate hitting them of a tee but I'm totally good looking down at a hybrid with the same loft and smacking that off the tee all day.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 (7.25*) - Tensei AV Raw White 65 X Tipped 1.5" & 0.5" Short, 2 extra grams in T1 Position

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TSi3 (13.5) - Tensei AV Raw White 70 X Tipped 1" & 0.5" Short, 2 extra grams in T Position

Driving Iron: :titelist-small: U500 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke (X)

Irons (4-6) :titelist-small: T100S - KBS C-Taper X-Stiff

Irons (7-P) :titelist-small: 620 MB - KBS C-Taper X Stiff

Wedges: QAJzq7h.jpg SM7 Jet Black 50.F.12 / 55.S.11 / 60.M.08 - X100

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpgBlack ER2 (Finish Courtesy of NorCal Putters) - :P2-grips-logo: Aware Tour

Bag:  :titelist-small: Hybrid 14

Glove:  Under Armour Strikeskin Tour

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1 Yellow #3

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Yeah I'm with most here it look like.. Driver, 3w, 3 & 4 hybrid, then 5-Lw.. I get great distance and flight out of my hybrids as well as a little more versatility.. But that's just me.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Cobra F8+ Driver Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedges 54* and 58* versatile grind

Snake eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star