Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Getting older

silver & black

This is for you guys that are older.... 50+.

How did/do you deal with the years creeping up on you? I have noticed a significant loss of distance with all of my clubs, so far this year. I'm 58....59 in September. I have back problems, a shoulder that is garbage and a left hip that hates me.

I used to average 250 - 260 with my driver. I'm hitting it maybe 225 - 235 so far this year. I've noticed at least 10 yards shorter distances with all of my irons, too. What did/do you do to keep scoring well? I don't know what to do.... I'm in uncharted territory right now.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is for you guys that are older.... 50+.

How did/do you deal with the years creeping up on you? I have noticed a significant loss of distance with all of my clubs, so far this year. I'm 58....59 in September. I have back problems, a shoulder that is garbage and a left hip that hates me.

I used to average 250 - 260 with my driver. I'm hitting it maybe 225 - 235 so far this year. I've noticed at least 10 yards shorter distances with all of my irons, too. What did/do you do to keep scoring well? I don't know what to do.... I'm in uncharted territory right now.

I will be 59 in August and I know what you are talking about. What I have done about it, well not much more than I always have. Aerobic exercise and lots of stretches not much weight stuff. For the loss of iron distance I now use GI clubs that go a long way. I also slowed my swing a bit so I am making more consistent contact. Other than that I just keep rolling along hoping to maintain what I have. Getting old sucks.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

So far it's been working out good for me. I'm 63. Like other guys my age I've lost distance to some extent. I never was a long-knock even when young but I can still play and compete with younger guys as long as I play from the correct tee. (some of the young guys should move up a tee themselves - but they won't and I'm glad)

So far I haven't suffered from any old injuries (had few anyway) and nothing new has popped up.

So what's the solution Silver & Black?

I don't have one that you've not heard before. However, the most important one might be stretching. I don't do near enough of it by the way. The other thing is genetics and there's nothing we can do about what we inherited.  Lastly, live with it and play on as long as you are able and enjoy it. Getting old isn't the end of the world. Until it is! 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Drink lots of prune juice and work on that short game.  ;)   Actually find a good gym and become addicted to working out.   I have all sorts of broken parts however I'm pretty strong for my age (67).  Exercise to keep those old joints from locking down on ya..... 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Well first things first

To be down 20 yards off the tee and a club in April in Ohio? If you reflect back on other seasons that's probably normal for anyone.

If however that's become true in July then she has caught up a bit. Your options include strength and flexibility training, equipment evaluation (changing shafts, more loft on the driver, stronger lofts on your irons, carrying an extra hybrid, a more lofted fairway and extra wedge) and lots of short game practice.

I played my best golf in my mid 50's when a big drive was 245. I had no trouble playing from the tips on many courses and shooting in the mid 70's or lower. I'd like to think that I can get back there from the next set of tees up in my 60's averaging 225 off the tee.

That's still better than 90 percent of the people who play.

Good luck and don't get too down on yourself

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I started losing noticeable distance at age 35 or so.Now,15 years later it turned into more than noticeable.Besides going to the gym and eating healthy.Getting a good in person pro might be the only way to get distance back.Three things golf mechanics are helping.Lifting up front foot for more turn.Focusing on a massive shoulder and hip turn in backswing.Always have hands leading at impact.Next is proper equipment utilizing a proper fitting.And take advantage of hitting off the proper tee boxes.Move up if you have to

Keep it in the short stuff

I'm in my mid 50's and haven't really noticed much of a loss. Some of that can be attributed to fittings, some can be attributed to an active lifestyle. But maintaining flexibility has been key to keeping me moving the ball.

I'm in my mid 50's and haven't really noticed much of a loss. Some of that can be attributed to fittings, some can be attributed to an active lifestyle. But maintaining flexibility has been key to keeping me moving the ball.

As an FYI for me and many guys that I know the driver deference occurred between 58 and 59. Of the people that I play golf regularly I only know of one exception.

So keep the activity up and stay fit! The exception is extremely active and fit.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Exercise my friend. Keep that body strong

I'll second Charli's and OG's comments. Exercise (strength training) and working on flexibility becomes very important as you get older.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I'm a young guy in comparison (43) but I've also had back and knee problems for some time. In fact, my knee is what led me to take up golf 6 years ago after being told I couldn't run or play hockey any more.

Daily stretching to help alleviate back issues helps me on the course - when I don't stretch for a bit, I have less distance and am more sore after rounds.

My father is 66 and agrees with me. He does a lot of stretching to keep limber, and when he doesn't stretch on a consistent basis, he sees a real loss of distance in his shots. Coming off of 2 knee replacements, he tries to stay as limber as possible with stretching and as much physical activity as he can.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I am at the low end of your getting older range. Yes, there are some noticeable changes since my

30s and 40s; mostly distance related. Overall, I have become a better golfer as I have gotten older. I will attribute that to knowing my limitations and playing smarter golf. I think the big thing that has helped me over the past couple of years is making more swings which has kept me flexible and in golf shape.

My focus now is less about distance and more about control and short game. While I never expect to shoot in the low 60s I am pretty confident my game will hold up over the next 10 years.

Over the past few months I have also focused on getting more fit. Since my mid 40s I put on about

20 lbs and since the beginning of the year taken 10 of them off. Definitely feel better and have more strength and stamina of the course of 18 holes.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Compared to what?

Not sure if you're having a Jack LaLane/Chuck Norris moment here, but I'm having a hard time believing anyone suggesting they hit it as far as they did when they were 40. ... or 30, or 20.

But I guess my point would be that IT catches up with all of us, sooner or later - and while you might not have "noticed much of a loss" this year, I'm afraid that all of us wake up one day and realize that our younger days are behind us, and all the Nugenix and active lifestyle bs ain't helping slow down Father Time. ... And I think that's the OP's point too.

As other posters have noted, of course exercise is important in retaining flexibility and to fight injury - in addition to warming up on the range pre-round instead of rushing to the first tee from the parking lot. ... You did mention fittings, which is a good idea too, as we're also never going to be as strong as we once were, and getting into the proper shaft we can actually get to kick and work behooves trying to hit the rebar-shafted clubs of our youth.

Its quite possible that as I've aged that my swing has become a lot more consistent too. In my 20's and 30's I was playing much less, practicing much less as well. A young family will do that to you. I played to an 18-20 handicap then. And that's not all a distance thing, until you look at the impact on the club head. I'm not going to argue that Age won't be a factor. But now in my 50's with plenty of time to invest into golf. I'm much more consistent with my ball striking. Also, I'm playing practically the same shafts I was in my 20's.

Drink lots of prune juice and work on that short game.  ;)   Actually find a good gym and become addicted to working out.   I have all sorts of broken parts however I'm pretty strong for my age (67).  Exercise to keep those old joints from locking down on ya..... 

Ole Gray:   I think you would agree that being in the Senior division of the site ( I just entered the Super Senior division), we have a responsibility to depart not only our Country wisdom, but the wisdom that comes with age as well.   Initially, it is important to understand that getting old ain't for sissies.   Don't let aging defeat you, fight it with all you have, but understand there may be limitations.  Yes, most will experience some loss of distance, but the decreased distance can be compensated by accuracy, better course management, a good short game and just pure guts.  

As one grows older, one gains even more appreciation that golf is the chosen past time.  Unlike other athletic endeavors, golf is a lifetime game because it will not kill you, it doesn't require you to run.  And when you hear someone say "you play good for someone your age", don't take it as an insult, it was meant to be a compliment.   So just smile, and say thank you.

Ole Gray:   I think you would agree that being in the Senior division of the site ( I just entered the Super Senior division), we have a responsibility to depart not only our Country wisdom, but the wisdom that comes with age as well.   Initially, it is important to understand that getting old ain't for sissies.   Don't let aging defeat you, fight it with all you have, but understand there may be limitations.  Yes, most will experience some loss of distance, but the decreased distance can be compensated by accuracy, better course management, a good short game and just pure guts.  

As one grows older, one gains even more appreciation that golf is the chosen past time.  Unlike other athletic endeavors, golf is a lifetime game because it will not kill you, it doesn't require you to run.  And when you hear someone say "you play good for someone your age", don't take it as an insult, it was meant to be a compliment.   So just smile, and say thank you.

Yes sir buddy you speak wisdom.  Getting old don't mean ya dead yet so gird up them loins and get to work!   

Cleveland

Was going to mention...

- course management

..but the older, wiser Wahoo already did!

Flexibility - it's been mentioned, and yeah I agree it's really important, but ... there's a big difference between this and *mobility*.

For anyone who has the time and money, I recommend seeking out a golf-specific fitness program - could be either from a specialized exercise facility that seem to be getting more popular, or a good PT person who golfs or a TPI-certified pro who can guide you through a program. You can also get a lot online from TPI.

I'm in shape .. and I'm flexible .. but I learned that I was not very mobile in golf-specific planes of motion. With new stretches and exercises that is improving. As is my ball-striking

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Oh, w/r/t S&B's original post...

I didn't pick up a golf club until 53. Now at 62, partly thx to...

..accumulated experience

..two really good lessons recently

..making better contact more often

..golf-specific fitness training

..a new hip that allows me to move better than before (and without pain)

... I'm actually starting to hit _further_

I'm still not a "big hitter" but through practice and conditioning I've improved!

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Was going to mention...

- course management

..but the older, wiser Wahoo already did!

Flexibility - it's been mentioned, and yeah I agree it's really important, but ... there's a big difference between this and *mobility*.

For anyone who has the time and money, I recommend seeking out a golf-specific fitness program - could be either from a specialized exercise facility that seem to be getting more popular, or a good PT person who golfs or a TPI-certified pro who can guide you through a program. You can also get a lot online from TPI.

I'm in shape .. and I'm flexible .. but I learned that I was not very mobile in golf-specific planes of motion. With new stretches and exercises that is improving. As is my ball-striking

I had a promising phone conversation with a TPI instructor today. I liked what i heard and have my first assessment and lesson with him on Wed.

While I'm sure i wont like the results if the assessment. Im looking forward to getting pointed in the right direction from a swing standpoint as well as a physical one.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I had a promising phone conversation with a TPI instructor today. I liked what i heard and have my first assessment and lesson with him on Wed.

While I'm sure i wont like the results if the assessment. Im looking forward to getting pointed in the right direction from a swing standpoint as well as a physical one.

Awesome! Good luck with it ... And stick with it .. a little bit of exercise/conditioning (almost) every day can pay you back big dividends on the course!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Awesome! Good luck with it ... And stick with it .. a little bit of exercise/conditioning (almost) every day can pay you back big dividends on the course!

Thanks. That's what I hear. Just a few minutes each day will at least be better than nothing and will HB woo.

Thanks. That's what I hear. Just a few minutes each day will at least be better than nothing and will HB woo.

You got this partner and I'm mighty proud of ya!

Cleveland

At 50 Om a better golfer and as long if nit longer then ever before. Could be the equipment since I quit golf for the most part to raise my daughter. If I broke 90s on an occasion years ago, Ud be satisfied. Todsy If zi shoot 90 I played like crap. I do have to stretch and keep the body moving to stay in some kind of shape.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

62 now... ugh

Crap hurts all the time... take Celebrex.

But golf..

Get the latest Driver, they do go further.

New irons too, I'm looking now.

I'm scoring well still, but it's catching up.

I need to lose weight, that's probably my biggest handicap. And now need to get off my lazy butt and begin to exercise.

It's much harder to get motivated these days.

Trying to age gracefully, but finding it easier itch and moan about it.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Is this person local?

Turned 70 last May, just wait. LOL

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I just turned 71 - it sure beats the opposite

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Is this person local?

Yep, I think he said Rolling Road.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Is this person local?

Yes. Luke the Head Pro at Rolling Road CC.

Physically, it doesn't get any better with age with two knee replacements, a severed bicep tendon, bad shoulder,  bad hip and bad foot.  I still walk 4-5 rounds a week, stretch, and try to watch my weight, but the handicap is up 10 shots in 10 years so it becomes a matter of adjusting goals and expectations. 

My weekday group of about a dozen guys has several guys recovering from various surgeries, backs, knees, hearts, etc.  Now for us, the golf becomes more of a chance for fellowship instead of intense competition.  We're still competitive--but it's not the important thing any more. 

In the bag:

Driver:  Ping G 400 Max

Fairway: Ping G 400, 7 w

Hybrids: Ping G 25,  4

Irons:  Taylormade P 790, 4 through P

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM 7,  54  and 58

Putter:  Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

The past five years have aged me greatly. I have ankylosing spondylitis, which takes all of the curvature from one's spine, so after every round I'm SUPER stiff. Even mid-round I can tighten-up riding in a cart. This has affected my swing and my swing speed. When I was st Callaway in Dec of ‘13, I was swinging the club 112-113, now, if I hit 108 I'm happy. It doesn't help that I ride in a car for work, which tightens my hips, and low back even more than the disease causes. It's been rough. The outside looks about 40, but the insides feel about 68!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Archived