TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - PING G400 Drivers

Stage Two - Ping G400 LST review - June 21, first day of summer, 2018by RevKev [attachment=62270:Baptism.JP

Thanks again to Ping and MGS Spy for this opportunity. I will be checking back with you in a few months. Before then I will pick up a heavier shaft and as the summer moves on have the opportunity to play more golf and log many more practice hours. Until then please don't hesitate to hit me up with any questions.

attachicon.gifIMG_1001.JPG

Awesome job Rev!  Man you're looking fit and ready to wrestle an alligator or two.  Those Pings are a such a fun club to have in the bag.   I love mine!  :wub:

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Fantastic Stage 2 Rev. With a score that high, it's got to be an excellent club and fit. Glad to hear you're getting it dialed in.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Stage 2 is up, hope it sways at least one person to pull the trigger on the Max!

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Stage 2 is up, hope it sways at least one person to pull the trigger on the Max!

Great job! It is great to see the product work so well for you. My wish list keeps getting longer....

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Great job! It is great to see the product work so well for you. My wish list keeps getting longer....

It's crazy that the driver has become my favorite club in the bag. I never thought that would happen. Hope you get the chance to hit one and possibly move it from wishlist to WITB.

I was swayed the moment I hit my first drive and my buddies eyes lit up like a coon pup on his first treeing!

Cleveland

You guys all have done an amazing job.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Stage 2 is up.  I hope someone finds it helpful.

Can I ask one question...

The two on-course GPSd shots you've posted have you hitting drives at 290 yards, but in your review you mention wanting to be able to play a short-drive with the driver for about 200 yards.

Why?

Take this into private messages if you want, it's a question of personal curiosity from my point. If you hit driver that far then 200 yards should be a 4-5 iron which would offer far more control as the ball lands. A cut down driver swing for that range is going to be low, with very low spin and roll a lot. Personally, I don't see the value of that shot when you should be able to drop an iron onto that spot with control.

I'm just interested in whether I'm missing some trick from the game.

Aside from that question, thanks for the write-up and I'm glad you're enjoying the club.

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

Fantastic Stage 2 Rev. With a score that high, it's got to be an excellent club and fit. Glad to hear you're getting it dialed in.

Let the reader understand that the scoring is s bit subjective. The clubs that OEMs produce are high quality and all would be in the 90's or high 80's.

I think the value would be in the comments. So far two of us found additional distance, the other - me, did not. We all found more forgiveness and accuracy. That's significant. We all noted a busy crown which would be important as well.

My question to my colleagues is - were you fit for your prior drivers?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Can I ask one question...

The two on-course GPSd shots you've posted have you hitting drives at 290 yards, but in your review you mention wanting to be able to play a short-drive with the driver for about 200 yards.

Why?

Take this into private messages if you want, it's a question of personal curiosity from my point. If you hit driver that far then 200 yards should be a 4-5 iron which would offer far more control as the ball lands. A cut down driver swing for that range is going to be low, with very low spin and roll a lot. Personally, I don't see the value of that shot when you should be able to drop an iron onto that spot with control.

I'm just interested in whether I'm missing some trick from the game.

Aside from that question, thanks for the write-up and I'm glad you're enjoying the club.

Good question. Mostly because that's a distance I struggle with off the tee. I've hit a ton of fairway woods and hybrids, and can't find one I can hit worth anything. Every time I think I've found something I can hit well, I end up back with my Ping Eye2 2-iron. That's not necessarily a problem, but a couple of the courses I play regularly have several holes where a drive in the 200-230 range would be about right. 250-260 is just too much.

Some of it's just curiosity, some of it's wanting to move on from the 2-iron. You've got to remember I'm playing to a pretty high handicap, and it's not because of the way I hit driver. The more I can have that in my hand right now, the more confident I am.

That's all I was thinking...

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Stage 2 is up. I hope someone finds it helpful.

Excellent job! Yet another review that shows I need to give this a shot.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

It's crazy that the driver has become my favorite club in the bag. I never thought that would happen. Hope you get the chance to hit one and possibly move it from wishlist to WITB.

Mine is definitely a favorite too! At least a tie with my 58*! :rolleyes:

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Stage Two - The Review | 6.20.18

PING G400 Max - Official MGS Forum Review by Tyler Sauer

The moment we've all been waiting for….

Conclusion

Do you love forgiveness?

Are stripe shows your thing?

Enjoy finding fairways?

If so, then go hit the Max or any other model in the G400 line. While some of you may be turned off by the busy looks of the head, you'll also be turned on by finding your ball closer to the green than ever before. The tee box is one area I thought I would never improve on, but I can now say it's one of my favorite areas to be. My slices are no longer, I stay out of the cabbage, and there is no more frustration after hitting bad shots… simply because you can't hit a bad shot with the G400. Go demo one, I dare you!

Final Score 95/100

Dude you nailed this review!  I enjoyed it very much and in fact, if I didn't already own a Ping G400 Max, I would HAVE to try one.  Heck I would like to have a backup Max in the closet...   :wub:   I loved your videos and the last one showing your ball flight,  how did you do that!  :blink:

Cleveland

Fantastic reviews all! Loved every one of them-great work!!!!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Ping G400 Max (9*) – Official MGS Forum Review by 00sportsman – 6/22/2018

The Official 00sportsman Play It or Trade It Rating:  20/20

The Ping G400 Max provides a solid improvement over the Cleveland Hi-Bore XLS I've been gaming for the last 18 months.  It has great sound and feel, adds distance to my game and keeps the ball in play better.  I played 8 rounds with it and I dropped about 3 strokes from my handicap.  I'm not sure you could reasonably ask for any more from a driver than that.  It's obvious to me why the G400 is the Most Wanted testing winner.  It's a winner all the way around and gets a solid A+ from me.

Huge thanks to MGS and Ping for this opportunity.  What an experience!

The Official 00sportsman Final Rating:  96/100

Wow you guys are killing it on these reviews!   Thanks for such an informative and enjoyable read.   I don't put those contact labels on clubs unless they are long time residents in my bag.  The Ping G400 Max, my Bettinardi putter, Cleveland  CBX wedges, & Square Strike Wedge all have the labels.  

Dayuuummmmm good review and thanks for all the work you and the rest of the Ping test team put in!

Cleveland

Stage Two - The Review | 6.20.18

PING G400 Max - Official MGS Forum Review by Tyler Sauer

The moment we've all been waiting for….

I was able to put the Max to the test against my current (we'll discuss that later) Cobra KING F7+ in every way I could. Most of my testing took place on course, as I had no access to a LM or anything of the such. But, don't worry, I made sure to make this a rigorous test as I truly wanted to challenge the F7+ and give it the boot.

Looks - 10/10

For some, the large head with all of the added technology may be too much. However, in my case, all of these additions only added to my confidence when stepping up to tee off. The bold turbulators paired with the Dragonfly Technology make it easy to tell yourself you're going absolutely crush it! Very seldom would I give a driver 10/10 when it comes to looks, as I'm very picky. Whoever it was a PING that came up with the color scheme for the G400 line deserves a raise. The matte black, the copper, the metallic PING lettering on the bottom just screams premium. Pair that with a chameleon-esque shaft that changes color depending on how you're holding it, and it quickly becomes something you can't take your eyes off of. Compared to my F7, they've both got the all black/matte look going for them. I really thought the F7 was one of the best looking drivers I've seen at the time, at least the top of the head. I'm not a huge fan of the orange, but that's something you never really see. But now, with the Max, I'm constantly flipping it over to look at the bottom and admire its' beauty.

attachicon.gifPhoto Jun 22, 7 03 40 PM.jpg

attachicon.gifPhoto Jun 22, 7 03 54 PM.jpg

Sound & Feel - 8/10

Sound is a huge thing when it comes to drivers, sometimes literally. I hate drivers that are so loud off of the face that you have to cover your ears to prevent loss of hearing. Okay, I've never had that problem, but you catch my drift. If I were to pick a winner solely based on sound and sound only, my current F7+ would win. Now this doesn't mean the G400 is ugly sounding, but it does have a bit of a “ting” to it. I tried capturing a video portraying the sound in its' rawest form, I will attach that below. I was hitting TaylorMade Tour Preferred X balls, so keep that in mind. When it comes to feel, there's one word to describe it….. butter. I tend to have a lot of mis-hits when it comes to the driver, which were always followed by shots that ended up way off line and you could definitely tell when one was not hit center. The feel on the face is consistent no matter where it is struck. Huge turn-on for a hacker like myself. The CB in the shaft stands for counter-balance, so it allows them to put more weight in the head to help with forgiveness without having it feel super heavy in the hands. I never really thought about that aspect much until I started hitting the Max for a while then went back and hit the F7, and wow, it makes a heap of difference. I'm not sure how you do it PING, but keep on keepin' on. The Max is effortless.

PING G400 Max sound off the tee w/TaylorMade Tour Preferred

Cobra KING F7+ sound test w/Callaway Chrome Soft

PING G400 Max sound test w/Callaway Chrome Soft

Range Performance - 17/20

First off, let's talk about accuracy, because that's what is most important when it comes to the big stick. If you can't hit fairways, you better move on. It's not like I had a problem hitting fairways with my F7, but a big percentage of those fairways were the wrong ones. Guess what, that all changed when the Max came to play. There isn't a better feeling than hitting the ball exactly where you want to. The increased forgiveness with the Max made this an easy task. Fairways are no my friend.

As you can probably guess from my previous statement about missing fairways, I struggled with distance consistency. I sometimes hit it 250 yards.. 50 straight, 200 to the left. Now I did have some big drives with my F7, but not as big as the last drive I had during league night on Monday. I'll talk about that below, as I'm still wowed by what happened. The awesome thing about the Max is that you don't lose a ton of distance on mis-hits. All my time testing the G400 Max and I haven't once hit a huge ‘nanner slice.

When it comes to the trajectory of the Max, there is only one thing I have to say it is... Houston, we have lift off!! The Max launches balls HIIIIIIIIGH! So high in fact that I had to adjust the loft down to 9.5* which is something I've never done before. I'm not complaining one bit though, I love it.

The last thing I want to speak about under range performance is forgiveness. Forgiveness is something I will always seek when it comes to the driver. The large head, the CB shaft, the high 9,900+ MOI, and the deep deep center of gravity is all I'll ever need. I'm not sure who hits the center of the face every time, but it sure as hell isn't this guy. I can't speak on behalf of consistency as far as hitting the middle of the face, but I can consistently use all of the face.. So I got that going for me. One thing I love about the Max, as I mentioned earlier, is that mis-hits don't hurt you. Toe hits don't slice off like they did with my F7. The distance may let up, but you're still playing a nice, solid fade. I'll take it.

On-Course Performance - 40/40

Remember earlier when I said I had something to talk about when it comes to distance? Well, I nearly drove a 300 yard green, ended up on the hill of the green, and that is something that never happens. I used to hate teeing off, especially during scrambles because I knew my tee shots wouldn't be of much help. But now, move out the way, Max is coming through and ready to launch one. I will now gladly be the first guy to tee up and let it rip. Ever since switching to the Max, my confidence has increased which has therefore made the game that much more fun. Giving this club a perfect on-course score was a no brainer. I have never played better golf and it feels great. I know some may say there is no way a driver can change your game just like that, but trust me, it can. When you're missing fairways, hitting hazards, hitting OB, and losing balls of of the tee… that hurts. It doesn't only mean you have to hit provisionals or add strokes to your score, but it makes you scared to tee off on those long holes in fear of losing one and risk a scoring opportunity.

When it comes to PING, you know you're getting something of high quality. I knew right out of the gate I was not going to be let down, as PING is a brand that always stands behind their statements in terms of technology and forgiveness. I will be curious to see if they continue with the Dragonfly and turbulators in their next models. For me, I hope they continue it. At first I thought it would be too much, but after a little while, it grew on me and it is just one of those features that helps you launch balls like you never have before.

[/background][/size][/font][/color]

Play it or Trade it? - 20/20

The PING G400 Max is absolutely, 100% going in the bag. No questions asked. There is a reason the G400 line is getting so much attention, and that's because it does as promised. If you are like me and board the struggle bus when it comes to tee shots, please go hit the Max, you will not be disappointed. I would love to get some different shafts in there and find something to possibly lower the launch a little bit, but other than that it's a no brainer for me.

Conclusion

Do you love forgiveness?

Are stripe shows your thing?

Enjoy finding fairways?

If so, then go hit the Max or any other model in the G400 line. While some of you may be turned off by the busy looks of the head, you'll also be turned on by finding your ball closer to the green than ever before. The tee box is one area I thought I would never improve on, but I can now say it's one of my favorite areas to be. My slices are no longer, I stay out of the cabbage, and there is no more frustration after hitting bad shots… simply because you can't hit a bad shot with the G400. Go demo one, I dare you!

Final Score 95/100

Great stage 2! A great write up by a fellow hack that I can relate to. Glad to hear you're host to your own stripe show now. It was really interesting to hear how different the forgiveness was between the F7+ and the Max because I've always had a thing for Cobra Drivers. My next demo session will most definitely have to include one of the G400 models, probably the Max

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

Dude you nailed this review! I enjoyed it very much and in fact, if I didn't already own a Ping G400 Max, I would HAVE to try one. Heck I would like to have a backup Max in the closet... :wub: I loved your videos and the last one showing your ball flight, how did you do that! :blink:

Thanks for the kind words, OG! The last video was made possible by Shot Tracer App. Pretty fun little app to mess around with, it's got a lot more features than just that too.

Ping G400 Max (9*) – Official MGS Forum Review by 00sportsman – 6/22/2018

My goal for this review was to find out exactly how much the G400 Max can help a high-handicap hacker like me. Ping's claims for the G400 Max are that it has the tightest dispersion, a muted sound that also increases feel, and a forged face that increases ball speed. They also claim that the bolder turbulators and head shape increase clubhead speed, while the patterned face decreases spin.

For the review, I played eight rounds, made five trips to the range, and made two launch monitor visits. My goal was to play ten rounds, but I got rained out a few times and wasn't able to squeeze in any more.

Let's get down to business…

Appearance:

If you're a fan of the “murdered out” look like I am, then this is the driver for you. Not only is the top of the head essentially all matte black but the Alta CB shaft, which is a fairly attractive copper color with graphics, seems to fade to black at address. The turbulators on the head don't stand out too much, and there aren't any distractions when you stand over the ball.

attachicon.gifG400Address.jpg

Flip the head over and there is a little color, with white highlights, a copper colored tungsten insert, PING in large chrome letters and G400 Max in red and white lettering. The face carries some graphics that imitate grooves, with a wide-open space indicating what I would expect would be the “sweet spot.” While there is no contrasting alignment aid, the turbulators are shaped in such a way that they form a natural alignment aid on the crown. I don't find that quite as helpful as one in a contrasting color, but it does help some.

attachicon.gifG400Sole.jpg

460 cc's is the limit for a driver and this one uses it all. The head looks massive, which can provide some confidence when standing over the ball and compared to my Cleveland Hi Bore it is much more rounded. The head appears pretty sleek, without any awkward cuts or transitions. The appearance at address is pretty much all business, and that's something I can get into.

attachicon.gifG400TopView.jpg

The Official 00sportsman Appearance Rating: 9/10

Sound/Feel:

When I was fitted for my driver, I took my Cleveland Hi Bore to establish a baseline to work from. The fitter set me up in a bay and went to grab a couple of things while I warmed up. When he came back, his first comment was “I remember that sound. I used to wear earplugs when people were hitting those.” During the fitting, that was not a problem with the G400's. The Ping had a much softer and more muted sound than the Cleveland. I hit both the standard G400 and the G400 SFT during the fitting and didn't really notice much difference in sound between the two. The Golf Galaxy I was fitted at did not have the Max or LST in lefty at the time. When the Max arrived, I was a little surprised at how loud it was. I was expecting it to be like the heads I hit during the fitting, but I would say it is much more like the Cleveland. I have found that the sound adds to the feel. Sound plays a huge part in my understanding of how well I hit the ball and the sound of the Max, while loud compared to the two heads I hit during testing, is not so loud that it detracts from the experience of hitting it in any way. (It has a little intimidation factor for the guys I usually play with as well.)

https://youtu.be/ZQKYfd1o5vI

I tried to get video of the sound comparison between my previous two gamers (a PGF Southpaw and my Cleveland Hi-Bore) and the G400 Max. I also downloaded a decibel meter for my phone. Both the Cleveland and the Ping G400 Max registered at 76 decibels, which I suppose is possible, but I don't believe that that measurement is particularly valid. You can watch the video and come to your own conclusion (or not.)

In terms of feel, I find the G400 Max to provide good feedback. I tend to play balls that are pretty soft (think Wilson Duo Soft, Wilson Zip, Callaway Chrome Soft, etc.) and I usually know I've hit the ball well if I don't know for sure that I even hit it. However, the Ping provides a fairly soft feel even with hard range balls or mishits. When I mishit, which happens more often than for some, I still get good feedback and can essentially feel where on the face the ball struck.

I'm always looking for ways to help determine what went wrong in my swing. The feedback I get from the G400 Max definitely helps with that.

attachicon.gif3Gamers2.jpg

(Cleveland Hi-Bore, G400 Max, PGF Southpaw)

The Official 00sportsman Sound/Feel Rating: 10/10

Range Performance

(Disclaimer: I'm getting older and I'm out of shape, so taking 90+ swings in half an hour or so leads to some ugliness toward the end of the session, even at the range.)

So, what is the actual performance like? I spent 5 range trips and 2 launch monitor visits trying to come up with an answer to that question…

Driving Range: While at the range, I used a couple of different techniques to try to determine just how good this driver is. I'm not great at working the ball, so my attempts at drawing and fading the ball can be interesting at best. For a player like myself the real question is if the G400 Max helps with distance and dispersion. Can it help minimize trouble off the tee and create consistency? I would have to say yes to this.

attachicon.gifG400Face.jpg

In each range session, I tried and succeeded to both slice and hook this driver. To do it, I had to put ridiculously bad swings on. I can't seem to find that sweet spot with my swing where I can hit a nice draw or fade intentionally, but I can swing poorly enough to slice it or hook it 150 yards. As bad a swing as I can have at times, I don't think I've ever taken a swing with the driver on a golf course that was unintentionally as bad as those swings were. With what would be a typical bad swing for me, I still got good results in both distance and accuracy.

Another thing I tried with this driver (and was completely unable to do) was to slow down and hit it less than 100%. I'll cover this a little more in the On-Course Performance section, but I tried at the range to hit this club intentionally around 180-200 yards with good trajectory and flight. I simply can't do it. I'm sure it can be done, but not by me right now. I had an awful time trying to take a slower or shorter swing and still hit it well.

Launch Monitor: Range performance is all well and good, but you only get my perception of the swings and the results. Instead, here are some actual numbers from the launch monitor. I had two sessions at the nearest Golf Galaxy and each time I worked with the same fitter that did my initial fitting for the Max. I used my Cleveland Hi-Bore and the Ping G400 Max, as well as a brand-new dozen Callaway Chrome Soft X (Red Truvis – Thanks Wedgie!) Because my swing fades significantly toward the end of each session – see the disclaimer above – the fitter and I basically selected the ten best drives, in terms of total distance, for each driver from both sessions combined. I had a print-out of the sessions and have entered them into a spreadsheet so you can see the numbers for yourself.

You undoubtedly want to know what it looks like on the launch monitor when I hit the ball well. Here's the answer:

attachicon.gifClevelandBest10.jpg

attachicon.gifPingBest10.jpg

The Ping G400 Max is longer and has a tighter dispersion. The column that didn't come up on the launch monitor is “Offline (No Direction). I added that because I feel it really tells the story on accuracy. The other “Offline” column takes direction into account, and if you miss left by 100 yards, then miss right by 100 yards, it will give you an average of 0. The column with no direction just averages how far offline the drives were, regardless of hook or slice, and I think it's a fairer way of assessing just how well the drivers control dispersion.

I can hear you now… “OK, 00sportsman. The ten best are informative, but I want to know what happens when you don't hit the ball well. Anybody can get good results with modern drivers when they hit the ball well. What happens with the crummy swings you've been talking about?”

Well, the fitter and I also selected what we felt were the most representative 10 worst drives for each driver over the two sessions and here they are.

attachicon.gifClevelandWorst10.jpg

attachicon.gifPingWorst10.jpg

If you're a numbers guy or gal, I don't know how you could draw any conclusion other than the Ping G400 Max outperforms the Cleveland I've been playing by a fairly good margin. On poor drives the distance is about the same but the average dispersion with the Ping is almost 11 yards tighter. I still love my Cleveland, but I can't argue with the numbers.

The Official 00sportsman Range Performance Rating: 19/20

On-Course Performance

For about the past year, I have been more confident with a driver in my hand than with any other club. I usually can put my driver in play in a decent location and have fewer mishits with that club than with any other club in the bag. When I first got the driver, the fitter had recommended trying it lofted up at 9.6*. I played the first 9 holes with it set that way, then went down to 9*. The 9* setting has worked well for me, much better than the 9.6*

I managed to sneak in 8 rounds with the G400 Max prior to writing this review and I have to say that while driver was probably the best club in my bag, the G400 Max has enhanced my driving in actual playing situations. I play a variety of courses, and I often play short courses with fewer opportunities to pull the driver. Once the G400 arrived, I intentionally sought out longer courses that offered more chances to hit driver from the tees.

attachicon.gifG400Address2.jpg

The results are these:

I went back over the last 5 rounds I played with the Cleveland Hi-Bore, and pulled the fairways hit statistics from those rounds. I use 18 Birdies for GPS and keeping basic statistics, so I had the data available. In those 5 rounds, I went 22 of 47 fairways hit with the driver (47%). I'm pretty strict about what constitutes hitting the fairway for the purpose of keeping my statistics, so while those numbers aren't particularly high I often have drives that aren't in the fairway but are in fairly good positions. (There's one hole I play often where I don't want to drive it in the fairway because I can get a better angle to the green from the rough and it's usually pretty playable rough.)

Over the 8 rounds with the G400, I went 47 for 89 in fairways hit (53%). I did play a couple of courses that I had played in the previous 5 with the Cleveland, and I hit 2 more fairways on both courses with the G400 Max. While I can't give you exact distances and didn't really record them prior to being selected to review the G400, I can tell you that on courses that I have played with both the Cleveland and the Ping I have not lost any distance with the Ping and often have driven it further. I took screenshots of a couple of these holes for this review, but I can't claim 100% accuracy of the GPS.

attachicon.gifSLakesHole16.jpg

attachicon.gifTwinIslesHole14.jpg

While the G400 Max works beautifully for me on holes where I can let it rip, I would like to be able to dial it back a little and maybe use it on holes that require drives more in the 190 – 220 yard range. I flat out cannot do it. I've tried both on the course and at the range, and I simply can't hit the thing without taking a full-speed and full-length swing. I can see this driver being a real weapon on shorter holes as well as the longer holes if I could figure out how to hit it shorter. It's something I can do with the Cleveland but haven't managed with the Ping yet. I've never had any luck trying to shape my drives either, and for a player in my hacker category, being able to simply get the ball flying at your target is paramount. The Ping G400 driver does that as well as I can picture any driver doing it.

Probably most important of all is that the 8 rounds I played with the Ping G400 Max dropped my handicap about 3 strokes. While it could just be that playing and practicing more translated to an improvement in my game, I'm going to give the credit to the club. It didn't fix my swing flaws, but it definitely minimizes the damage they can cause.

The Official 00sportsman On-Course Performance Rating: 38/40

Play It or Trade It?

Let's see…tighter dispersion, better distance, good sound and feel, and a lower handicap. I think the answer is pretty clear. The Ping G400 Max seems to do all of the things that Ping claims and that adds up to one solid driver. I can see this driver helping just about anyone who struggles from the tee. Need more distance? Need straighter flight? Get them both in one 460cc package.

You'd have to really come up with something special to get this driver out of my bag. I love my Cleveland, but it's being relegated to the back-up bag.

attachicon.gif7Drivers.jpg

(Can you pick the best driver from this picture?)

The Official 00sportsman Play It or Trade It Rating: 20/20

The Ping G400 Max provides a solid improvement over the Cleveland Hi-Bore XLS I've been gaming for the last 18 months. It has great sound and feel, adds distance to my game and keeps the ball in play better. I played 8 rounds with it and I dropped about 3 strokes from my handicap. I'm not sure you could reasonably ask for any more from a driver than that. It's obvious to me why the G400 is the Most Wanted testing winner. It's a winner all the way around and gets a solid A+ from me.

Huge thanks to MGS and Ping for this opportunity. What an experience!

The Official 00sportsman Final Rating: 96/100

Another great stage 2! It's crazy to see numbers coming from a decade of technological advances in driver technology. Great to hear you're already dropping strokes with the new driver, keep up the stripe shows!

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

Great stage 2! A great write up by a fellow hack that I can relate to. Glad to hear you're host to your own stripe show now. It was really interesting to hear how different the forgiveness was between the F7+ and the Max because I've always had a thing for Cobra Drivers. My next demo session will most definitely have to include one of the G400 models, probably the Max

I think when I got the F7 I had high hopes because of all of the adjustability. I used to think that was some sort of magic trick that would help hit it straight. But, after hitting the Max, I couldn't care less about those adjustments because the Max is a magic wand in itself. No tinkering, just let her fly.

Wow you guys are killing it on these reviews! Thanks for such an informative and enjoyable read. I don't put those contact labels on clubs unless they are long time residents in my bag. The Ping G400 Max, my Bettinardi putter, Cleveland CBX wedges, & Square Strike Wedge all have the labels.

Dayuuummmmm good review and thanks for all the work you and the rest of the Ping test team put in!

Thanks, OG. I think I fell woefully short of your work on the pocketpicker, though

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

@camcmart, Is there any chance we can not quote the entirety of a review, please? Makes browsing this thread on a mobile device a nightmare... :)

Good question. Mostly because that's a distance I struggle with off the tee. I've hit a ton of fairway woods and hybrids, and can't find one I can hit worth anything. Every time I think I've found something I can hit well, I end up back with my Ping Eye2 2-iron. That's not necessarily a problem, but a couple of the courses I play regularly have several holes where a drive in the 200-230 range would be about right. 250-260 is just too much.

Some of it's just curiosity, some of it's wanting to move on from the 2-iron. You've got to remember I'm playing to a pretty high handicap, and it's not because of the way I hit driver. The more I can have that in my hand right now, the more confident I am.

That's all I was thinking...

I used to have similar issues gapping my bag.

How I've figured it out (for me and my swing, but maybe this could help you) is as follows...

For purposes of this discussion we're going to assume zero wind

Driver: Ping G400 9* with a 44" Tour Stiff shaft, MCC+4 standard size grip +2 wraps

Always a full swing, tee height only really accommodating for wind, standard half a ball height above driver crown, typically aiming to play around 270 yards

I then have two shots for my 3-wood, one for shots up to about 250 yards and one for shots up to about 230 yards.

To this end I game an older TM Burner 15* 3 wood with a regular flex shaft, but a midsize +2 wraps grip. This lets me launch the ball higher but stops me from turning over the club so easily so I'm not losing it left.

For the longer shot I tee the ball up 1/2" and play off the instep of my lead foot, the same as a driver with exactly the setup I would use for driver, looking for launch height and lower spin.

For the shorter shot I tee the ball 1/4" two ball lengths inside my lead foot so I can strike down on the ball, giving a lower launch with more spin, which also makes the distance more consistent after landing.

I then drop to a 22* 4-hybrid and a 22* 4-iron to close out the options.
The hybrid is a TM M2 with a regular shaft and a regular grip. I play this 220 carry with a high trajectory. To get a really high flight and not hook it I haven't up-sized the grip, but I stand tall over the ball with the club slightly toe down which results in a consistent, arrow-straight, high ball flight.

I then have a Srixon Z765 4-iron at the standard 22* in a Modus Stiff shaft, which gives me the same distance but on a lower, higher spin shot, which gives me options depending on conditions.

The other thing that really fixed my long game was to stop thinking about "hitting" the ball and definitely stop thinking you have to hit it "hard". It tends to make you tight and you swing slower. You can often get away with it with driver and it doesn't effect shorter clubs as much, but long clubs need "fast" not "hard" and loose is fast...

Maybe no help to you at all, but just how I worked out fixing those gaps for myself, keep the swing itself consistent in terms of general shape and speed, change the approach to each shot to change the distances up. 

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

Thanks, OG. I think I fell woefully short of your work on the pocketpicker, though

haha  :D  I'm thinking that Max you toting will be kicking some serious booty for the remainder of 18.    Have fun with it partner!

Cleveland

Great work guys, informative and entertaining. Thank you to all of you.

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

The testament to this is the additional member participation in the thread. Many people who have no stake are telling the same exact story. Good distance, fairway finder, confidence through the roof.

G400 must be the real deal!

Definitely.

At about the same time testers were being selected here I was going through a fitting process for a new driver and while my preference was for the Ping based on looks, I also liked the Rogue on the same basis, but didn't really care what I bought so long as it was what performed best for me, which is why we want the club in the first place.

I also liked the idea of the LST, but found the standard G in 9° was actually my best fit.

I'd previously messed about with a whole bunch of drivers and my previous gamer was a 915d2 with the Fujikura Pro Tour Spec X-flex. I could hit some fantastic drives with it, but I could also hit some stinkers and it always felt like I had to be on my game to get anything from it.

I mentioned a couple of pages ago that I was previously averaging about 235 yards with some ridiculous outliers into the 300+ range (with wind) and the G400 had brought my average up to about 255 yards.

Well...

I went and played a round yesterday evening as the sun started to set. Completely still day, no wind at all.

I hit one drive of 314 yards uphill, another of 306 and averaged 292 yards with driver for the round while just feeling confident and relaxed over the club all day.

It's changed my driving game completely and even on tight holes I feel as confident I can thread a shot with it as easily as with a shorter club.

Love it.

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

Definitely.

At about the same time testers were being selected here I was going through a fitting process for a new driver and while my preference was for the Ping based on looks, I also liked the Rogue on the same basis, but didn't really care what I bought so long as it was what performed best for me, which is why we want the club in the first place.

I also liked the idea of the LST, but found the standard G in 9° was actually my best fit.

I'd previously messed about with a whole bunch of drivers and my previous gamer was a 915d2 with the Fujikura Pro Tour Spec X-flex. I could hit some fantastic drives with it, but I could also hit some stinkers and it always felt like I had to be on my game to get anything from it.

I mentioned a couple of pages ago that I was previously averaging about 235 yards with some ridiculous outliers into the 300+ range (with wind) and the G400 had brought my average up to about 255 yards.

Well...

I went and played a round yesterday evening as the sun started to set. Completely still day, no wind at all.

I hit one drive of 314 yards uphill, another of 306 and averaged 292 yards with driver for the round while just feeling confident and relaxed over the club all day.

It's changed my driving game completely and even on tight holes I feel as confident I can thread a shot with it as easily as with a shorter club.

Love it.

Sweet spot shots are the bomb!

Literally lol

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Don't leave home without!  ;)

Cleveland

Solid reviews from all of you. I think the bar for reviews has just been set a lot higher than it was before.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!