TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - PING G400 Drivers

Okay my custom shaft is in and I'm playing tomorrow. Interestingly my fitter wants me at 45 1/4”. He's fit me at 45” in the past but said we tested at 451/4” and I hammered the sweet spot - 1.49 smash factor - so that's where this one is at down .6 degrees, 80 grams.

Totally counter intuitive but I had the same type of fit with the R11s at the Tour Performance CTR.

I will check back in after some time with it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I'm looking forward to the updates, that's for sure.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Okay my custom shaft is in and I'm playing tomorrow. Interestingly my fitter wants me at 45 1/4”. He's fit me at 45” in the past but said we tested at 451/4” and I hammered the sweet spot - 1.49 smash factor - so that's where this one is at down .6 degrees, 80 grams.

Totally counter intuitive but I had the same type of fit with the R11s at the Tour Performance CTR.

I will check back in after some time with it.

Awesome Rev can't wait to hear the first reports back. Remember it may take a couple rounds to get comfortable with it so give it time.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Alright, the G400 Max isn't automatic every time. I guess I am over the honeymoon stage? I got a case of the lefts right now, and if it's not overdrawing, it's blocked right.

Hopefully I can turn things around on Saturday.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Alright, the G400 Max isn't automatic every time. I guess I am over the honeymoon stage? I got a case of the lefts right now, and if it's not overdrawing, it's blocked right.

It's comforting to know that someone besides me has this problem. I hit the LST great at a demo day. Then striped several with an M3 with less dispersion than I can hit a 20ft putt. Picked up the M3 for a steal on eBay. It hasn't behaved like the demo. I took it to the PGA tour SS and put it up against the LST again. I was spraying the M3 all over. Then the LST put three right down the middle and farther than any I just hit with mine. Eventually I hit some decent drives with mine. Reading all the reviews make me second guess the M3. But needing another 200+ bucks to move to the LST means I am just going to have to make it to the second honeymoon with the M3.

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

It's comforting to know that someone besides me has this problem. I hit the LST great at a demo day. Then striped several with an M3 with less dispersion than I can hit a 20ft putt. Picked up the M3 for a steal on eBay. It hasn't behaved like the demo. I took it to the PGA tour SS and put it up against the LST again. I was spraying the M3 all over. Then the LST put three right down the middle and farther than any I just hit with mine. Eventually I hit some decent drives with mine. Reading all the reviews make me second guess the M3. But needing another 200+ bucks to move to the LST means I am just going to have to make it to the second honeymoon with the M3.

For a few rounds, it felt invincible. I was ~270 and in the short stuff all day. My last two rounds haven't been as successful, but it's still less punishing vs. the Epic I gamed last year.

New G400 came in the mail today... Wrong flex and unfortunately shop can't get a S flex in stock and ping Canada suggested to go to another retailer. The Hunt before the long weekend has begun!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

New G400 came in the mail today... Wrong flex and unfortunately shop can't get a S flex in stock and ping Canada suggested to go to another retailer. The Hunt before the long weekend has begun!

When I ordered mine, it came with the completely wrong shaft. Luckily, the local ping rep had a brand new one in stock and he swapped out out for me the next day. Good luck with yours, hope you get it quick!

Hopefully all goes well Saturday!

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

When I ordered mine, it came with the completely wrong shaft. Luckily, the local ping rep had a brand new one in stock and he swapped out out for me the next day. Good luck with yours, hope you get it quick!

Unfortunately after several calls and visits to a few different shops nobody could do anything so I had to return it. Guess it just wasn't meant to be... For now

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I was close to buying the G400 after it won the most wanted driver, I instead found a used Titleist 917D which I love, but I have a little buyers regret not going with the Ping as I have had several Ping drivers in my life and have always been a huge fan.  Well reviewed and great feedback! 

Driver: :titelist-small: - Titelist 917D - 9.5* - Rogue Max X-Stiff
3W: :titelist-small: - Titelist - 917F - Rogue Max Stiff
Hybrid :titelist-small: - Titelist - H1 3H - Stiff
Irons:  Mizuno MP54 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold
Wedges:  Cleveland 588 RTX 50.10, 54.8, 58.12 True Temper Dynamic Gold
Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Monterey California 1.5 - 34in
Ball: :taylormade-small: Taylor Made Tp5x
Loc: USA/OR, Handicap: 12
RH, Irons 1 degree flat

My round got rained out but I could see it coming so I went to the range early and hit balls. It's always hard to asses distance in the range because the balls are so inconsistent and the eyes dim.

I was all over the sweet spot and the ball flight was notably different - more of a soaring line drive that stayed in the air a long time. Very straight. It was wet so not much roll out. I won't see the roll out until November or December.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Guys, these are awesome reviews, loved them. Pumped me up even more to start the mizuno testing! Great work everyone!

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I'm back into 100% love for this driver...

I played a society competition this weekend just gone, three rounds of golf over two days.

I'd been having a little bit of a wobble with my driving for the last round I played, I think because I knew how far and well I'd been recently hitting it, had an off shot or two and started to tense up knowing I wanted to be playing well for the tournament...

First round was still the tense shots, a couple good but not great and several into a bit of a slice...

Second round was a Texas scramble and suddenly with the pressure off my own tee shots I could relax a bit and just swing away, everything came back together...

Move to the second day and a thing happened...

My driving from the very first tee box was on fire, almost literally with how dry the fairways were and how fast I was hitting the ball. This driver was absolutely killing it, with high, strong, very low spin drives all day long, the ball flew and flew, then landed, bounced, bounced and rolled all day long... The fairways were so fast that very few drives stuck the center grass and I know it's often said "It's better to be 200 and in the fairway than 250 in the trees", but in this case how would you take 385, 3" into the first cut and 30 yards short of the green?

No wind, no slope, just a fairway resembling a motorway for firmness.

I think it'll take me a while to better this one and there's no way whatsoever I do this with any of my previous drivers.

Long_drive_2.jpg

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

In case any MA spies are interested...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlA_02UASUX/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1pbjt3l6bk1au

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

In case any MA spies are interested...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlA_02UASUX/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1pbjt3l6bk1au

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I saw that on Twitter. I'll be up that way in a few weeks for a PGA Jr match at Pine Oaks on the 21st.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I've encountered another problem with this club...

I'm not using anything else!!!

I picked up a Shot Scope v2 last week and this is only 27 holes in, but look at the club usage average!

Pretty much every hole now is just Driver, lob wedge.

I've not swung my 3 wood since really starting to hit this club well.

Narrow fairway? No problem, this thing is laser straight.

Fairway bunker/water hazard at "driving" range? Tee it higher and really go at it, it's naturally so straight that you can let fly, still hit fairway and just carry that obstacle...

I haven't yet tried teeing it low and tapping it for Par 3 approaches or using it for putting, but it's close  ;)

I just can't sing the praises of this driver enough, it's changed my enjoyment of the tee box.

I used to know I could hit bombs, but be nervous as all sin over the ball and not know what was going to happen.

Now I look forward to the tee, relax and just enjoy the flight.

I used to average a little over 240 yards off the tee with outliers in massive deviation both directions. This weekend just gone I stepped onto the first with no warm-up and an audience, 309 straight down the centre, then rounded off the round on a long par 5 with 368 yards on a fairway that was nowhere near as hard and tarmac like as last week's ridiculous effort. I'm swinging easier and putting out distances I could only hope for once or twice a season with every swing...

Club_usage_2.jpg

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

• 2 weeks later...

Don't say "turn around". 😉!

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I've encountered another problem with this club...

I'm not using anything else!!!

I picked up a Shot Scope v2 last week and this is only 27 holes in, but look at the club usage average!

Pretty much every hole now is just Driver, lob wedge.

I've not swung my 3 wood since really starting to hit this club well.

Narrow fairway? No problem, this thing is laser straight.

Fairway bunker/water hazard at "driving" range? Tee it higher and really go at it, it's naturally so straight that you can let fly, still hit fairway and just carry that obstacle...

I haven't yet tried teeing it low and tapping it for Par 3 approaches or using it for putting, but it's close ;)

I just can't sing the praises of this driver enough, it's changed my enjoyment of the tee box.

I used to know I could hit bombs, but be nervous as all sin over the ball and not know what was going to happen.

Now I look forward to the tee, relax and just enjoy the flight.

I used to average a little over 240 yards off the tee with outliers in massive deviation both directions. This weekend just gone I stepped onto the first with no warm-up and an audience, 309 straight down the centre, then rounded off the round on a long par 5 with 368 yards on a fairway that was nowhere near as hard and tarmac like as last week's ridiculous effort. I'm swinging easier and putting out distances I could only hope for once or twice a season with every swing...

Maybe move back a set or two of tees to use more clubs

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Maybe move back a set or two of tees to use more clubs

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

We're having an amazingly dry summer here in the UK currently, a lot of fairways are not far different to just hitting your ball down a tarmac road, it's just bounce, bounce, bounce and then roooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll...

I'm averaging more than 310 yards off the tee currently, with a longest drive of 394 yards.

At the courses I play there are no further tees to go back. I play the competition tees everywhere where non-members are allowed to do so.

In my last couple of rounds I've taken different clubs off the tee just to change things up a bit and play the same holes in a different way.

The problem is just the weather conditions. UK courses tend to be smaller, I guess, than a lot of US courses because we are a lot more limited for space, so very few courses are long anyway. We make up for it by the fact fairways tend to be soft, so you don't get too much roll and rough can be long, thick and punishing. At present everywhere is just a light brown, the floor is solid so the ball just keeps going and all the lush rough has died back to short, brittle nothingness, so you don't get punished for being through or off the fairway either.

Holes where in the past you'd lay up instinctively, or couldn't reach the green anyway are suddenly hugely accessible.

In the last week I've driven two par 4 greens with a 3 wood and one with a 22* Hybrid (and probably should have dropped into an iron to not go through it).

It'll be interesting to see how the winter treats me and this club now.

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

Max is back! I was owning the fairways yesterday during my after-work 9.

Stage Two - Ping G400 LST review - June 21, first day of summer, 2018by RevKev [attachment=62270:Baptism.JP

Intro:

When we left off it was May 1st and I had lost 20 lbs. through a fitness program. I am happy to report that I have now lost 33 lbs. In my vocation I spend time with people in their happiest and most difficult times of life. Above is a happiest but this young lady had surgery on Tuesday and I went to see her and her family in the hospital yesterday.

I'm amazed that I was able to climb the 12 flights of stairs necessary to see her there.

As a member of the MGS forum community I have worked every bit as hard to provide this review for MGS, Ping and you, the reader. The sweat on the bill of my cap lets you know how hard I and my fellow testers have worked to provide a fair and balanced review of these drivers.

I spent range time at my home club, the Bayou, in Largo, Florida, on the course there, at Temple Terrace in Tampa and Mangrove Bay, the Muni, in St. Petersburg, as well as time on an LM with Bob Van Sweden, an award winning fitter, who regularly works with John Daly and Brittany Lincicome.

Since it's been my home club for three years, I'm familiar with the Bayou range and I have played regularly at all three courses so I know where my drives would normally finish at all of those places. I have also been fit by Bob several times, he knows my swing and my game.

Looks:

attachicon.gifIMG_1156.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1157.JPG

I've been gaming a Ping driver, the G30, for nearly 3 years. I have also gamed the G2 and Rapture. In between I gamed the TMag R11s and dabbled with the SLDR. Pings tend to be a bit busy which is not a problem for me. In fact the G400 is not as busy as the earlier Ping G's and certainly no where near as busy as the Rapture. Although I have it set down .6 here it looks a bit closed at address. I'm not a huge fan of that look but I can adjust to anything that hits the ball well. I like the slightly smaller head but find that I must address the ball toe up for best results.

As always I tee the ball high to let it fly. I swing between 3 and 4 up so I need that loft down to reduce spin.

9/10 points for looks - a point off for the closed look to my eye.

Sound and Feel:

A complaint about the earlier Ping G drivers has been the sound - harsh! Ping touts the G400 as being a deadened sound compared to its former offerings in this category. While the sound of my G30 has never bothered me, when you are a slower swinger any sound is welcome, the deadened sound was particularly noticeable indoors during my LM session. Ping has hit the mark here. The driver has a nice, sharp report that lets you know you've hit it. Sound seems consistent throughout the face as well. Certainly distance is but more about that later.

Feel is always subjective. It's not that important to me, either, honestly. I'm most interested in results. What is surprising about the G400 LST are those results. Feedback is such that I can tell where I struck the ball on the face and yet it goes. In today's range session I was consistently flying it just short of the 205 flag and the ball would scoot past, shot after shot after shot. Below is a picture of where I was contacting the ball on the club:

attachicon.gifclub face.jpg

As you can see I'm pretty consistent but not perfect but the results where just that, as ball after ball found what would have been the fairway. My club is private so the range balls used where very good Callaway range balls. On the range with me were a 78 retired PGA and European Tour member, a mini-tour player and a DI female golfer. I feel extremely confident and comfortable with this driver. I have since it first came out of the box.

10/10 for sound and feel - no need to deduct points here for me.

Range Performance

attachicon.gifrange.jpg

attachicon.gifVan Sweden shop.jpg

Once I'm warmed up, I always pretend as if I'm hitting shots for real on the range. The range at the Bayou is a dream. The best player at our club is two time major winner, Brittany Lincicome, but we have a host of other members who are very strong players. In the winter and early spring there are a host of Canadian Tour players who call Bayou their home, we boast a number of DI golfers and our staff has four teaching pros and two mini tour regulars on it. I know the pros well, all of them, ask questions when appropriate and try to emulate their practice.

For driver I will aim at very specific targets that I alternate from side to side. Conditions have changed radically in Florida since I first received my G400 LST to test. We were experiencing a drought through the late winter and early spring and then May saw record rains. We've now settled into our normal summer weather pattern of mid day temps around 90, high humidity, sporadic afternoon showers and heat indexes over 100.

My recent LM session revealed what I could see with my eyes. While I'm only marginally longer with the G400 LST than I was with the G30 - a yard or two - I am far more accurate. In fact when it's set at the proper setting for me - down .6 with the proper shaft, 80 grams, rather than my current Alpha 55 - my shot dispersion looks very similar to a touring pro's stock 4 iron - 200-210 yards and you can throw a blanket over it. Even with the Alpha 55 I'm more accurate with the G400 LST than I was with the G30 although they both go about the same distance.

Adjustability is extremely easy. The first adjustment was a bit disconcerting in that it felt hard to get the head off. But once I consulted with others and realized that this was normal I had no trouble making the changes quickly enough. At its current setting I still launch that ball at between 14 and 15 degrees, it reaches an apex between 90 and 100 feet and drops so that it rolls out as best as possible on the wet turf that we encounter throughout the summer and fall that is golf in Florida. It also has a very stable ball flight in the wind. I don't try to work the ball much - I hit a bit of a draw, always, and that's what this club produces for me, I can hit it higher or lower on demand though.

Range performance - 19/20 My only disappointment is that it's not significantly longer than the G30. Two mph faster with ball speed gets it into the 120's but I was hoping for more particularly with what I've heard from others. Who wouldn't want more usable distance? I'm hoping that my swing speed work out program nets that. I am starting to see sparks of that but it's too early to report it here. That wouldn't be the club anyway. There is always an Indian element to the arrow after all.

On-Course Performance:

attachicon.gifBayou.jpg

As stated earlier this test was comprehensive. Although my work schedule has been hectic I've played a total of seven rounds with the G400 LST at three very familiar golf courses. I did this intentionally knowing that where I hit the ball for real would matter to me and to those reading this review. Much of the performance depending on the loft settings of the club. If I had it turned up I struggled a bit with the closed face for real and did hit some hooks into the left rough.

However, when I had the club set to neutral or better down .6 as in a round last week at Mangrove Bay, I found myself in places that I haven't seen for five plus years. That is a very promising result. I hit a drive over 250 yards, with it's roll out, according to our GPS, without the aid of much wind. I actually had to make the decision whether to go or not on a par 5 for the first time in several years, I didn't go for it but that's not what matters here, what matters is that I finally found myself facing that choice.

I've hit two career drives at Temple Terrace during league play and been generally pleased with my distance at my home club, the Bayou. There are five very long par 4's there that normally kill me, I was able to reach four of them in regulation during a recent round and carded a score of 78 - solid on a course with a rating of 73 plus and slope of 136.

On course performance: 38/40 I'm only taking a couple of points off because earlier attempts at more loft led to hooks. I like to see the ball in a high window like the pros. But I need to learn that this is not best for me. A high window means launches at 16 or 17 degrees and spin rates approaching 4,000. Not a great prescription for distance but a perfect scenario for my miss, a big hook. Given the chance I can hook anything.

Play it or Trade it:

I will certainly be playing this club particularly once I add an after market shaft and have the loft dialed in. It's a reminder that we should always be fit to find the best results for our individual swings. I have a very consistent swing, albeit a slower one. Being properly fit makes all the difference in the world. If I were in the market for a new driver I may not purchase this club, however. I might first try other shaft/loft options in my current driver or even look at the G30 LST with an after market shaft. The sound has never bothered me and while I prefer the sleeker look of the G400 LST it might not be worth the $400 plus another $100 or more for an after market shaft. It's clearly better than my G30 but how much better is a legitimate question.

18/20 for Play it or Trade it. A couple of points off because I only found 2 mph of ball speed where claims are for more than that.

Conclusion:

The Ping G400 LST is certainly a fairway finding fiend for any one who is searching for that important attribute. I love the point and shoot ability of this club when it is properly dialed in. Others seem to have gained more distance than I which is extremely promising. The sound is far more appealing than its earlier brothers from Ping and the slightly smaller head instills confidence. It or one of its cousins in the G400 line should be on anyone's demo list if they are in the market for a driver upgrade this season.

Final score: 96 - a solid A from the Rev. with caveats that the club must be dialed in to fit your game and the shaft carefully selected.

Thanks again to Ping and MGS Spy for this opportunity. I will be checking back with you in a few months. Before then I will pick up a heavier shaft and as the summer moves on have the opportunity to play more golf and log many more practice hours. Until then please don't hesitate to hit me up with any questions.

attachicon.gifIMG_1001.JPG

Nice Stage 2. Have you replaced the stock shaft with an aftermarket and if you have what is it?

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

IMG_1250.JPG

The Ping Pro 80 - tried lots of shafts. This one actually weighs 68 grams. I'm at 451/4” - can't seem to miss the sweet spot with it.

I'm not Mr Britain but I hit 5 drives with driver today and averaged 229. That's significant for me - this is Florida, in July, it's wet, fairways are soggy and lush - almost no roll.

This driver is for real - very straight, point and shoot kind of stuff.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

attachicon.gifIMG_1250.JPG

The Ping Pro 80 - tried lots of shafts. This one actually weighs 68 grams. I'm at 451/4” - can't seem to miss the sweet spot with it.

I'm not Mr Britain but I hit 5 drives with driver today and averaged 229. That's significant for me - this is Florida, in July, it's wet, fairways are soggy and lush - almost no roll.

I know all about the current “conditions”, nasty, no roll. This driver seems to be the Hot Setup for you. Maybe me also....

Rick

Left Hand, 

I know all about the current “conditions”, nasty, no roll. This driver seems to be the Hot Setup for you. Maybe me also....

I had to be carrying it 225 to get that average. That's 20 yards of carry since I did the test. But how much of it is the shaft and how much the workout is hard to say.

The guy I played yesterday was much longer off the tee when we played earlier this season and last year, too. I stunned him yesterday by being neck and neck or past him driver for driver. He asked if I had been working out. :)

Likewise our teaching staff, most of whom have not seen me since May, said they were happy to see their Pastor looking lean and mean. :)

I'm 10 lbs less than that last picture in the review thread. 3.1 lbs to go to my college BBall playing weight. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

attachicon.gifIMG_1250.JPG

That's awesome, Rev. I've been wondering about having another fitting to see what might be a better shaft than the Alta for me.

I had a chance to play last weekend and while the course was in beautiful shape, it doesn't offer much roll. The extra carry makes a huge difference right now, for sure.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

I had to be carrying it 225 to get that average. That's 20 yards of carry since I did the test. But how much of it is the shaft and how much the workout is hard to say.

The guy I played yesterday was much longer off the tee when we played earlier this season and last year, too. I stunned him yesterday by being neck and neck or past him driver for driver. He asked if I had been working out. :)

Likewise our teaching staff, most of whom have not seen me since May, said they were happy to see their Pastor looking lean and mean. :)

I'm 10 lbs less than that last picture in the review thread. 3.1 lbs to go to my college BBall playing weight. :)

Sounds like a combo of both the shaft and the workout/weight loss. I would suspect mostly workout.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I'm not Mr Brittain but I hit 5 drives with driver today and averaged 229. That's significant for me - this is Florida, in July, it's wet, fairways are soggy and lush - almost no roll.

This photo may explain some of the driving distances I've been seeing this summer.

Most courses look like this currently, with just brown, solid, dried grass between the tee and green.

Nothing to stop the ball at present.

Dry_Fairways.jpg

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

This photo may explain some of the driving distances I've been seeing this summer.

Most courses look like this currently, with just brown, solid, dried grass between the tee and fairway.

Nothing to stop the ball at present.

So you played Carnoustie as well

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Great reviews guys! I got my LST back at the start of May and it has been awesome all around! When i got fit the heaviest and stiffest (and cheapest) option was a HZRDUS yellow 76 6.5 and I hit some long drives, but not a good fit, the lowest spin and launch combo was 14.4* and 2900 spin, that was with a 8.5* head lofted down 1*. I loved the head and got fit into a Oban tour limited 70 05 flex and am now at 11* and 2400 spin. 

Really happy with the driver I even got fit into a set of irons and wedges. I think Ping has some solid offerings even for faster swing speed/ better players. They may not be as soft as miura irons/ wedges I was playing but they are feeling pretty good.  

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV