TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - PING G400 Drivers

Still very, very much loving this club and even though it's a 9° head with a short, tour stiff shaft my father had a go with it today and was getting good results too.

It just seems to fit so many people so easily...

Two photos for you. The first, my G400 combining with the dry British fairways to very nearly turn a dog-leg par 5 into a par 3.

The second just for fun, an embarrassing end to my golfing day. Having played a good round with my father just walking with me for company, I threw two balls on the floor at 105 yards from a very dry practice green. I grabbed my 60° wedge, offered him any club from my bag and said "Nearest the pin wins".

I flew my 60 in high, it landed and stopped.

He grabbed my 8 iron, flew it low and short and it just rolled.

His is the ball on the left

IMG_20180805_224747_976.jpg

IMG_20180805_225406_252.jpg

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

Quick update: the Max is still a beast.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I believe you

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Yes. Yes it is.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Not sure if anyone still reading this thread anymore but...

I've got the LST. Lately I've kind of modified my swing a bit by choking up about an inch. Standing a little closer and a little taller.

I take my back swing back until I see the clubhead with my left eye peripheral, and then just try to smooth it.

Bam!

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Oh it appears to still be getting attention.

Mine is solidly in the bag. I know thats hard to believe coming from me. But even through a couple balky swing rounds last week, this club left me with only marginal bad results compared to how bad they should have been.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I have had mine in the bag form3 rounds. Early in the round I am struggling with pull hooks but as the round goes on I start hitting the club a lot better. Distances seem to be the same as my previous driver but the ground has been saturated lately and we are not getting a lot of roll. Will be interesting to compare where I am teaching on my home course once it dries up some.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I just bought the max and man it's unbelievable how straight this club is, even when I miss which is usually right it's not off the fairway as much and still very much in play. Love this club!!!

First off, thank you so much to all of the reviewers in this thread. Because of all the rave reviews I just picked up a G400 Max head. Was just at the range with a few different shafts to try and dial it in and all I can say is WOW. This thing begs you to hit it dead straight.

I think for now I'm going to go with the Fujikura Speeder 757 X-stiff. Was launching balls at the range. We'll see how she handles her first 18 tomorrow!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max / Fujikura Motore Speeder X-Stiff

Irons:  :ping-small: iBlade 3-PW / DG X100 Soft Stepped once

Wedges:  :vokey-small:  Vokey sm6 52, 56, 60 / DG S400

Putter:  :scotty-small: 2018 Newport 2

Ball:  :titelist-small: AVX

My buddy hits a Rogue and it seems he hits it everything BUT straight.

I have to work to get it anything except straight.

It's just a good driver...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Continuing to fine tune my G400 Max.   First few rounds were low and low snap hooks. I has just been a frustrating experience.  Tried adjusting the tee height and while I got a few good drives,  the consistency wasn't there.  Was going to cut the shaft down and/or consider just taking it out of the bag.   Decided I would make some adjustments and see if I could get the club to work for me.   Changed the setting to the big + and spent some time making a few minor swing adjustments and started getting more elevation with the ball and it was basically ballooning.  After the front 9,  I lowered the tee height and started getting the ball flight and distance I was hoping for.   Going to stay in the bag for now to see if it was just a few holes of good shots or it I have it dialed in for longer term.   Eager to get out to the course again.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Continuing to fine tune my G400 Max.   First few rounds were low and low snap hooks. I has just been a frustrating experience.  Tried adjusting the tee height and while I got a few good drives,  the consistency wasn't there.  Was going to cut the shaft down and/or consider just taking it out of the bag.   Decided I would make some adjustments and see if I could get the club to work for me.   Changed the setting to the big + and spent some time making a few minor swing adjustments and started getting more elevation with the ball and it was basically ballooning.  After the front 9,  I lowered the tee height and started getting the ball flight and distance I was hoping for.   Going to stay in the bag for now to see if it was just a few holes of good shots or it I have it dialed in for longer term.   Eager to get out to the course again.  

Hey buddy are you stilling gaming the regular flex shaft?

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Hey buddy are you stilling gaming the regular flex shaft?

never had a regular flex.   The shaft I was fit for was a lighter weight than the one you did.   Right now I still have the stock stiff shaft in the club.  

never had a regular flex.   The shaft I was fit for was a lighter weight than the one you did.   Right now I still have the stock stiff shaft in the club.  

Yea I have the 65 shaft in stiff.  I'm up for swapping if you think that would help?  I'm actually gaming the stock Ping G400 shaft which is 55 grams and it's working better for me. I know when I was more flexible, a heavier shaft helped me to hit the ball straighter without the ducks quacking.  

Cleveland

Despite swearing to myself I was going to wait for the TS Drivers to be released I failed and picked up a G400 Max 9* last week. This was to replace my Epic which had a small accident.

It came with the stock Alta CB shaft in stiff, at home I had a Ping Tour 65 in Regular,  a Fujikura Speeder evo 2 569 in X and a Fujikura 6 in R but tipped a inch. The Speeder was my fitted shaft for the Epic, light and stiff suit my swing. 

First range session was not particularly great and I struggled to see what the online hype was about. I persevered and played the Six at small + for a round. It was ok but nothing great. Had another range session and swapped around shafts and loft settings. I've settled on big + with the Speeder. Two rounds in with that set up, I've cut my handicap by 0.6, hit more fairways than I have before, eliminated the nasty snap hook and had 2 slices of which one I couldn't advance the ball forwards.

Compared to the Epic I am seeing a increase in distance and feel I can swing harder. Distance seems to be up on mishits and reasonable hits. Hopefully this honeymoon period will mature into a blossoming long term relationship. Im just hoping my wife doesn't notice to much when we play and also want one.

Ping G400 MAX 9*, Ping G 3 Wood, TM Aeroburner 4 Hybrid, 4- PW Ping I200, Vokey SM6  50, 54, 58, Cameron & Crown M2 Mallet.

Yea I have the 65 shaft in stiff.  I'm up for swapping if you think that would help?  I'm actually gaming the stock Ping G400 shaft which is 55 grams and it's working better for me. I know when I was more flexible, a heavier shaft helped me to hit the ball straighter without the ducks quacking.  

I have a Ping Tour 65 in Regular sat in my spare room. Would you have to pay import charges if I shipped it over from Thailand? I do not want anything for it, just seems a waste it not being used.

Ping G400 MAX 9*, Ping G 3 Wood, TM Aeroburner 4 Hybrid, 4- PW Ping I200, Vokey SM6  50, 54, 58, Cameron & Crown M2 Mallet.

I have a Ping Tour 65 in Regular sat in my spare room. Would you have to pay import charges if I shipped it over from Thailand? I do not want anything for it, just seems a waste it not being used.

I'm very much interested in it!  What length is it?

Cleveland

I'm very much interested in it! What length is it?

Standard length. Which should be 45.25. It came with my G driver. As I said it isn't being used and if you can use it I'll sort out a box and ship it over to you.

IMG_0041.PNG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Standard length. Which should be 45.25. It came with my G driver. As I said it isn't being used and if you can use it I'll sort out a box and ship it over to you.

attachicon.gif IMG_0041.PNG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll get back with you later. Playing GolfNow 🏌️⛳️

Cleveland

I have the Tour 80 in mine - it's a great shaft for me - it's actually 67 grams in an R flex.

Stock is 45.25 which is what I'm playing it at - it's what I was fit for. I can't miss the sweet spot with that shaft in my LST.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Stage Two - Ping G400 LST review - June 21, first day of summer, 2018by RevKev Baptism.JPG

Rick

Left Hand, 

I've been testing a G400 from my coach in TX and I've not found it especially long. It's probably more forgiving than my KZG, but on my longest drives, it's still lacking a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I've read you're Stage 2 a few times and I'm still in the fence moving from my Ping G.

Great review

Go to a fitter and hit the two side by side. It would be interested by to see if my fitter would have recommended by the G400 or not — I'll never know. I tried to knock the G30 out once earlier and he said, “Don't do it.”

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Go to a fitter and hit the two side by side. It would be interested by to see if my fitter would have recommended by the G400 or not — I'll never know. I tried to knock the G30 out once earlier and he said, “Don't do it.”

The teaching Pro I go to a few times a year told me don't mess with what I got. That was about 6 months ago. I can be an impulse buyer (any other golfers like that?) and if I try a club unless the head falls off I buy it. There's a new shop close to me who are carrying a lot of heads for fitting/demo and I need to schedule a time, and leave the VISA home!

Rick

Left Hand, 

I have the Tour 80 in mine - it's a great shaft for me - it's actually 67 grams in an R flex.

Stock is 45.25 which is what I'm playing it at - it's what I was fit for. I can't miss the sweet spot with that shaft in my LST.

No doubt I am looking at moving off the two stiff flex shafts I have.   Regular flex with my slower swing speed will no doubt be the ticket.  The Tour 80 sounds like something I would be interested in trying.   Maybe I can run up to the PGA SS to see what results I get. 

Cleveland

No doubt I am looking at moving off the two stiff flex shafts I have. Regular flex with my slower swing speed will no doubt be the ticket. The Tour 80 sounds like something I would be interested in trying. Maybe I can run up to the PGA SS to see what results I get.

It's discontinued but obviously there are other shafts out there like it.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's discontinued but obviously there are other shafts out there like it.

I found one on eBay

Cleveland

My apologies Guys, I have been so caught up in the Cobra challenge that I have not stopped to let you all know how great a job your doing... Great reads all of you.. If I didn't have a new driver I'd all over one of these like a hobo on a hotdog... 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I got my Tour 80 regular flex in yesterday and stuck it in the head this morning prior to teeing off.   Once I got the shaft and head set right, it was LOVE!  I hit some bombs out there today.  :wub:

Cleveland

I got my Tour 80 regular flex in yesterday and stuck it in the head this morning prior to teeing off. Once I got the shaft and head set right, it was LOVE! I hit some bombs out there today. :wub:

It's a great shaft - I'd love to know who made it for Ping. Like I've written I can't miss the sweet spot with that shaft.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches