Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

PING G400 LST – Official MGS Forum Review by downlowkey

Radio check... calling all Spies. It's been seven weeks since our Ping G400 review team Stage One dropped and I have been busy getting in reps with the 10* LST (set to 9*); on the range/course and in the LM booth. The "stat"abase: (1200) outdoor range balls; (65) regulation holes; (4) hours in the booth (Full Swing Pro 1 Series). I would say it's been a lot of "work" but when you're doing something you love...

Regardless how things eventually shake out between us, the G400 LST and I have spent a great deal of quality time together.

Looks (10 out of 10 points)

G400 LST.jpg

The G400 LST looks mean; from every angle. A burst array of turbulators make for a topographically diverse but intentionally directed crown, reminiscent of stealth aerodynamics. In my opinion, driver heads with a subtle transition from crown to face look better for some reason and the softly curved top edge on the G400 is one the best looking merges I've seen. To me the LST appears to set up just a hair open at address, a characteristic that also belongs on the positive side of my pro/con list. I'm a big fan of the matte black finish Ping settled on for the G400 lineup. The graphics on the sole of any club make zero difference to me but the copper pinstriped undercarriage on the G400 is show worthy. She's a Perfect 10!

Sound & Feel (9.5 out of 10 points)

https://youtu.be/tQ33vjkibu4

This LST has perfect pitch. The engineers at Ping tuned this head with a particular goal in mind - create a sound that stimulates the amygdala and inspires confidence. Much as that may sound like more marketing witchcraft, my temporal lobes have never been happier. It's not quiet but the frequency spectrum emanating from the sweet spot is more refined concert orchestra than 3 piece garage metal band.

The face feels solid but also springy; like it swallows the ball and immediately spits it back out. Feedback outside the sweet spot isn't particularly enlightening (i.e. where exactly did I miss that?). But substantial forgiveness engineered into the G400 is the most likely culprit so it doesn't really seem right to deduct a full point for that one and mis-hits aren't the least bit jarring.

I think the combination of moderate volume, pleasing tone and energetic feel of the LST has been dialed in perfectly.

Range Performance (20 out of 20 points)

Straight driving has been one of the hallmarks of my game for the past 5 years, not necessarily straight ball flight but I typically land in the vicinity of my targets off the tee. In Stage One, I mentioned a preference to work tee balls both directions and a tendency to slightly overcook the curve on misses. My reasoning - working the ball away from trouble keeps me out of it more often than not. The G400 LST has been somewhat of a paradigm shift. For the past month this thing has been pick a target, point and shoot. I can get it to move both directions but it really just wants to go straight... chalk line straight. It was initially disconcerting but I've grown to appreciate the switch to one stock driver swing and the dispersion has also been reassuring. I don't put much faith in range ball performance consistency (trajectory, turn, carry, etc.) but this head seems to produce very reliable results all over the sweet zone and the egregious misses turn out much better than any gamer I've ever had in the bag.

On-Course Performance (39 out of 40 points)

*Disclaimer (I play golf at 5000+ feet, so subtract 10% from all distances for sea level comparison)

I mentioned being hamstrung for most of last season with a gnarly shoulder injury and over that stretch nowhere was it more evident than off the tee. In 2017 with a '16 Tmag M1 430 in the bag; Shot Scope had my total distance stat at 287. A long steady regimen of golf specific PT has me in a much better place physically this season. My swing speed is back up in the ~110 mph range and impact stability is also much improved. I upgraded to Shot Scope V2 this season and have assigned separate tracking tags to both the M1 and G400. The updated 2018 distance stat line: M1 - 296; G400 LST - 301. Longer does not necessarily mean straighter but I've found the fairway on 73.8% of the 65 holes with the Ping doing the driving (compared to 58.2% last season). And with the exception of a handful sprayed wide right the first couple of weeks in the bag, my misses have been just off the fairway. In addition to being collinear, the distance variance on the LST is noteworthy. My miss is toward the hosel end of the face and even off the heel, this driver telegraphs solid distance. Playing 25% more shots from the fairway also had a scoring impact with my most recent revision moving from (0.6) to (+1.4).

There have been several memorable pokes with the Ping but one stands out more than the rest.

The Bear Paw.jpg

Bear Dance (Larkspur, CO) - Hole 6 is a 326 yard par 4 that offers two vastly different options off the tee. You can take the safe route; ~200 yard shot into a wide fairway short left of the bear paw bunker complex _OR_ tee it high and let it fly; but any mishit will be gobbled up by one of the eleven deep, steep faced traps guarding the straight line to the green. We started on the back nine so #6 was our 15th hole and the G400 LST had been delivering all day. The hole was cut front right, just over the bunkers on a green segment with ~600 sq/ft of usable real estate. Our course shepherd on this day advised that the bear paw bunkers were death and if I did manage to carry them, my ball likely wouldn't stay on the correct level which probably results in a par... or worse. From our box to the green it was playing slightly downhill, 305 total (300 front edge). I teed one up a little higher than usual and flushed it on a string right at the hole. The shepherd mutters "Oh man, he might have done it". The ball lands softly on the front edge, rolls right over the hole and settles 15 feet behind. I lipped out the putt but the easy tap-in birdie absolutely felt like a stroke gained. And strokes gained is the underlying story for me.

The Numbers

I spent a few hours in the booth with Stiff versions of both the Ping Tour 65 and Alta CB 55. Halfway through testing I took an inch off the tip of the Alta trying to decrease my spin numbers and tighten the dispersion. But the flex profile of the Alta just isn't a great fit for my swing and the Tour 65 has been sniper rifle straight from the very beginning.

The pertinent Tour 65 S numbers (averaged) from my last LM session:

Launch Lab.jpg

Play it or Trade it? (20 out of 20 points)

Play.All.Day. For me, swinging the G400 is akin to slow and steady cooking over smoldering lump charcoal compared to some other heads that are like trying to cook a nice steak with a blast furnace. I've tested numerous drivers that seemed to offer substantial distance gains on the monitor but the on course reality was often a really LONG way, the WRONG way - not at all my preferred brand of golf. Lacking confidence has never really been an issue but I feel absolutely fearless with the LST in my hands. From the perspective of workability, a tiny fade is my natural ball flight with the Ping and getting it to turn left takes some effort. But because of the laser like precision it offers, I'm honestly thrilled about the new (shortest distance between two points) tee ball strategy. Over the past several weeks, my rounds have been so much less stressful. A playing partner's recent comment: "Good gawd that's boring... you might as well drop a ball in the middle of the fairway on every hole". Translation: strokes gained.

Conclusion

The Ping G400 LST looks like a thoroughbred, sings like an angel, punches like a title holder and runs on rails. I actually just purchased a 8.5* LST head last week for additional testing (hoping to decrease spin and get the trajectory nosing over for a little more roll out on the turf). Nonetheless, by all appearances, my story with this driver is one of a lasting love affair.

Final Score: (98.5)

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

One of the most anticipated forum testing reviews of the year! Have fun with it guys!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Looking forward to following along!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

This is going to be a great thread. Looking forward to seeing what the testers have to say about these drivers.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Thanks guys - my stage one is up, the others should follow directly. Enjoy and please ask away as we will adjust our testing accordingly!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Great intro Rev, and DLK..Pictures say 1,000 words.  Just awesome shots sir!!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Great start guys! Definitely looking forward to hearing each of your thoughts!

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Nice start gents..... quick question for you both:

I'm used to looking at a smooth driver head....does all of that "stuff" (dragonfly, turbulators, streamline aerodynamics) on the top of the head bother you?  Is it too busy when you look down at it?  If so did you get used to it?

Also - is the weight port adjustable?  Can you substitute heavier/lighter weights?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

This is going to beeeeee awesome

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Can't wait till you guys get a round or two on them. I'm even more in love with the Max after getting it on the course this past Sunday.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Just busting at the seams to hear how ya hit 'em!!! Have fun all and good start!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I'm used to looking at a smooth driver head....does all of that "stuff" (dragonfly, turbulators, streamline aerodynamics) on the top of the head bother you? Is it too busy when you look down at it? If so did you get used to it?

Also - is the weight port adjustable? Can you substitute heavier/lighter weights?

The G400 crown could certainly be categorized as topographically diverse terrain; but it doesn't bother me one bit. So, in the poetically licensed lyrics of The Offspring... "You gotta keep 'em turbulated".

As for the weight port, Ping WRX likely maintains an inventory of plugs for purchase; but I believe that particular piece of the puzzle is the key variable for dialing in final swing weight after they have addressed the rest of your specific build specs.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Yup me too.

Can you guys give any “leaks” about anything yet.? Hehe

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I'm used to looking at a smooth driver head....does all of that "stuff" (dragonfly, turbulators, streamline aerodynamics) on the top of the head bother you? Is it too busy when you look down at it? If so did you get used to it?

Also - is the weight port adjustable? Can you substitute heavier/lighter weights?

Ping has always had busy crowns or at least has since the Rapture. Since I gamed one of those and currently game the G30 I didn't really notice anything funny. I will say that the tone of this driver is extremely muted. That will be good in Florida in the bright summer sun.

I can't answer on the weight. It looks as if it could be substituted out but that's not something Ping is suggesting as a variable on its website.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I found this listing for the head weights:

https://www.golfworks.com/ping-g400-head-weights/p/pgc004/

Definitely not a "stock" option but that's good that they aren't very expensive. Looks like they fit the fairways and hybrids as well.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I found this listing for the head weights:

https://www.golfworks.com/ping-g400-head-weights/p/pgc004/

Definitely not a "stock" option but that's good that they aren't very expensive. Looks like they fit the fairways and hybrids as well.

Interesting....it's as if Ping doesn't want you to swap them out.  Cobra sells different weights directly on their site.

Good to know it's an option if you want to experiment with things...

I am curious about the "LST"  (low spin) versus "SFT" (straight flight)  versus G400 (no changes)...  did ALL of the testers get the LST version?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Interesting....it's as if Ping doesn't want you to swap them out. Cobra sells different weights directly on their site.

In fairness, Ping doesn't sell their product direct to consumer. The only thing you can buy on their website is gear. If you want to buy clubs (or weights in this case), you have to go through an authorized retailer.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

In fairness, Ping doesn't sell their product direct to consumer. The only thing you can buy on their website is gear. If you want to buy clubs (or weights in this case), you have to go through an authorized retailer.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Ah...good point...didn't realize that.  Huh.  Interesting.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Great start guys!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Nice start fellow spies, can't wait to you get to stage 2 to hear what your experiences were with the G400. I would be all over the G400 line except that I just love the way my M2 looks, feels and sounds. Hoping the Ping would sound and feel as what they have been known to, I loved my G15 Ping driver.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Bumpity bump, my stage 1 is up!

So far, I'm absolutely loving the Max! Can't wait to tell you more about it in stage 2.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---