Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Ping G400 LST  

Driver Review

​​Rev. Kevin R Loughran

Kevin set up.JPG

Like any golfer selected by My Golf Spy to review a product, I was excited when I saw THAT email in my in box.  The Ping G400 LST had just been declared the winner of the MGS Most wanted driver contest for 2018 and soon it would be in my bag, out with me on the range and on the first tee!  Wow!  Thank you Ping and My Golf Spy for this opportunity.  

Of course I didn't just jump into golf yesterday.  I've been playing the game for nearly 50 years since a good friend of mine returned from a year with his family, spent in Scotland.  We had some old, sawed off clubs that we would sneak off into the field with and soon that turned into occasional excursions to the course.  As my playing career evolved it was clear that golf would be a distraction from my true loves, baseball and trumpet playing.  The latter two consumed my teenage years. 

But always I would return to golf and once my baseball playing days ended I started to play in earnest.  My game was honed on a little nine hole muni in the summer of 1978, between my junior and senior year of college.  I played every day after work from June through September and purchased my first real set of clubs, Tommy Armor persimmon woods, Ram tour grind irons, Wilson Staff sand wedge and a mallet putter of some sort.

As a player I quickly got down to a mid-single digit handicap and had some local success making it to the match play portion of the Ithaca City Golf Championship (Upstate NY) by firing a 74 in the qualifying round.  Throughout adulthood I was able to keep my game at about that level. Work, family situation and health would limit practice and playing time but when I had the time to play and particularly once I moved to Florida I could always make myself competitive on a local level and was even able to get my handicap index down below 1 as recently as 5 years ago.  

Like many players, particularly who started off in baseball, my game transitioned from power to accuracy and as I aged even finesse.  I gained a significant amount of weight in my late 50's into my early 60's (I'm currently 61) and this effected my flexibility and created a significant loss of distance.  As I applied for this test I found that my driver swing speed had fallen from 95 seven years ago to 85 today.  I am currently in a fitness program through my work health insurance plan and have lost 20 lbs. over the past 2 and a half months.  

Kevin finish.JPG

As you can see from the photo above I can now make a full swing and better golf, perhaps from mid to low single digit again, is on the horizon.  

My current bag is carefully crafted to assist me in playing the best golf.  It takes into account what numerous fitters and my teaching pro have observed.  My swing is consistent with good players, I have a shallow attack angle from the insider that when working produces a slight medium high draw through the bag.  

Driver:  Ping G30

FW:      SLDR 3 HL (Turned up 1)

Hybrid: SLDRs 22,25

Irons:    Ping G30 6-PW  Aerotech Volant 500 

W's:      SCOR 48,52,56,60  Genius 7

P:         EVNRoll ER 5

Ball:     Titleist Pro V1x  (RevKev)

Ping Drivers.jpg

The first thing that one notices about the G400 line (other than the Max) is that the head is slightly smaller than the 460 cc heads that have become standard.  Ping's claim is that this package creates a better aesthetic and sound (feel).  Additionally the LST is touted as producing lower spin for improved accuracy, tighter dispersion and increased distance.  

Of course we've all been reading those claims for years.  In fact I went for a driver fitting two years ago, tried numerous drivers and was unable to find a combination that bettered my G30 at that time.  This testing included three other driver brands plus the Ping G.  The big question here will be has four years and some more significant design changes produced the results that Ping is claiming for a player like me?

Ping Tag.jpg

One last word before signing off until next time.

When we applied for the test we were invited to try Ping's nFlight Web fitting tool.  Like many,I tried the tool more than once and I found that with a small tweak - changing my handicap from 6 to 5 (depending on where I play that actually happens based on my index of 4.9) caused the recommendation to change from the Ping G400 to the G400 LST.  From trying my friend's G30 LST and also from a recent Titleist ball fitting I know that I need to get my spin rate down a bit while keeping my launch angle up and so I went with the LST on my application.  

I want to keep this test as close to what would be the norm for the average person walking into a store or ordering a driver online.  The shaft that I'm using is the stock Alta CB 55 in R flex.  Nearly every fitting that I've gone to has recommended a bit shorter than standard shaft in driver.  After consulting with the Pros at my club I ordered 45" which is 3/4 inch off the stock 45.75".  By ordering the shaft that way Ping was able to maintain the listed D4 swing weight.  Something for anyone to consider, at least as cutting it down afterwards will reduce that swing weight two or more points.

For now it's off to the course.  I'll be back in about a month and we'll see how the Ping G400 LST works for a golfer like me.  Older, still a good player but looking to hang on or even grab a few more years of glory.  Between now and then please feel free to use this thread to ask questions and I'll try to answer them in Stage 2, if not before!

Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

Stage Two - Ping G400 LST review - June 21, first day of summer, 2018by RevKev Baptism.JPG

IMG_1157.JPG

I've been gaming a Ping driver, the G30, for nearly 3 years. I have also gamed the G2 and Rapture. In between I gamed the TMag R11s and dabbled with the SLDR. Pings tend to be a bit busy which is not a problem for me. In fact the G400 is not as busy as the earlier Ping G's and certainly no where near as busy as the Rapture. Although I have it set down .6 here it looks a bit closed at address. I'm not a huge fan of that look but I can adjust to anything that hits the ball well. I like the slightly smaller head but find that I must address the ball toe up for best results.

As always I tee the ball high to let it fly. I swing between 3 and 4 up so I need that loft down to reduce spin.

9/10 points for looks - a point off for the closed look to my eye.

Sound and Feel:

A complaint about the earlier Ping G drivers has been the sound - harsh! Ping touts the G400 as being a deadened sound compared to its former offerings in this category. While the sound of my G30 has never bothered me, when you are a slower swinger any sound is welcome, the deadened sound was particularly noticeable indoors during my LM session. Ping has hit the mark here. The driver has a nice, sharp report that lets you know you've hit it. Sound seems consistent throughout the face as well. Certainly distance is but more about that later.

Feel is always subjective. It's not that important to me, either, honestly. I'm most interested in results. What is surprising about the G400 LST are those results. Feedback is such that I can tell where I struck the ball on the face and yet it goes. In today's range session I was consistently flying it just short of the 205 flag and the ball would scoot past, shot after shot after shot. Below is a picture of where I was contacting the ball on the club:

club face.jpg

As you can see I'm pretty consistent but not perfect but the results where just that, as ball after ball found what would have been the fairway. My club is private so the range balls used where very good Callaway range balls. On the range with me were a 78 retired PGA and European Tour member, a mini-tour player and a DI female golfer. I feel extremely confident and comfortable with this driver. I have since it first came out of the box.

10/10 for sound and feel - no need to deduct points here for me.

Range Performance

range.jpg

Van Sweden shop.jpg

Once I'm warmed up, I always pretend as if I'm hitting shots for real on the range. The range at the Bayou is a dream. The best player at our club is two time major winner, Brittany Lincicome, but we have a host of other members who are very strong players. In the winter and early spring there are a host of Canadian Tour players who call Bayou their home, we boast a number of DI golfers and our staff has four teaching pros and two mini tour regulars on it. I know the pros well, all of them, ask questions when appropriate and try to emulate their practice.

For driver I will aim at very specific targets that I alternate from side to side. Conditions have changed radically in Florida since I first received my G400 LST to test. We were experiencing a drought through the late winter and early spring and then May saw record rains. We've now settled into our normal summer weather pattern of mid day temps around 90, high humidity, sporadic afternoon showers and heat indexes over 100.

My recent LM session revealed what I could see with my eyes. While I'm only marginally longer with the G400 LST than I was with the G30 - a yard or two - I am far more accurate. In fact when it's set at the proper setting for me - down .6 with the proper shaft, 80 grams, rather than my current Alpha 55 - my shot dispersion looks very similar to a touring pro's stock 4 iron - 200-210 yards and you can throw a blanket over it. Even with the Alpha 55 I'm more accurate with the G400 LST than I was with the G30 although they both go about the same distance.

Adjustability is extremely easy. The first adjustment was a bit disconcerting in that it felt hard to get the head off. But once I consulted with others and realized that this was normal I had no trouble making the changes quickly enough. At its current setting I still launch that ball at between 14 and 15 degrees, it reaches an apex between 90 and 100 feet and drops so that it rolls out as best as possible on the wet turf that we encounter throughout the summer and fall that is golf in Florida. It also has a very stable ball flight in the wind. I don't try to work the ball much - I hit a bit of a draw, always, and that's what this club produces for me, I can hit it higher or lower on demand though.

Range performance - 19/20 My only disappointment is that it's not significantly longer than the G30. Two mph faster with ball speed gets it into the 120's but I was hoping for more particularly with what I've heard from others. Who wouldn't want more usable distance? I'm hoping that my swing speed work out program nets that. I am starting to see sparks of that but it's too early to report it here. That wouldn't be the club anyway. There is always an Indian element to the arrow after all.

On-Course Performance:

Bayou.jpg

As stated earlier this test was comprehensive. Although my work schedule has been hectic I've played a total of seven rounds with the G400 LST at three very familiar golf courses. I did this intentionally knowing that where I hit the ball for real would matter to me and to those reading this review. Much of the performance depending on the loft settings of the club. If I had it turned up I struggled a bit with the closed face for real and did hit some hooks into the left rough.

However, when I had the club set to neutral or better down .6 as in a round last week at Mangrove Bay, I found myself in places that I haven't seen for five plus years. That is a very promising result. I hit a drive over 250 yards, with it's roll out, according to our GPS, without the aid of much wind. I actually had to make the decision whether to go or not on a par 5 for the first time in several years, I didn't go for it but that's not what matters here, what matters is that I finally found myself facing that choice.

I've hit two career drives at Temple Terrace during league play and been generally pleased with my distance at my home club, the Bayou. There are five very long par 4's there that normally kill me, I was able to reach four of them in regulation during a recent round and carded a score of 78 - solid on a course with a rating of 73 plus and slope of 136.

On course performance: 38/40 I'm only taking a couple of points off because earlier attempts at more loft led to hooks. I like to see the ball in a high window like the pros. But I need to learn that this is not best for me. A high window means launches at 16 or 17 degrees and spin rates approaching 4,000. Not a great prescription for distance but a perfect scenario for my miss, a big hook. Given the chance I can hook anything.

Play it or Trade it:

I will certainly be playing this club particularly once I add an after market shaft and have the loft dialed in. It's a reminder that we should always be fit to find the best results for our individual swings. I have a very consistent swing, albeit a slower one. Being properly fit makes all the difference in the world. If I were in the market for a new driver I may not purchase this club, however. I might first try other shaft/loft options in my current driver or even look at the G30 LST with an after market shaft. The sound has never bothered me and while I prefer the sleeker look of the G400 LST it might not be worth the $400 plus another $100 or more for an after market shaft. It's clearly better than my G30 but how much better is a legitimate question.

18/20 for Play it or Trade it. A couple of points off because I only found 2 mph of ball speed where claims are for more than that.

Conclusion:

The Ping G400 LST is certainly a fairway finding fiend for any one who is searching for that important attribute. I love the point and shoot ability of this club when it is properly dialed in. Others seem to have gained more distance than I which is extremely promising. The sound is far more appealing than its earlier brothers from Ping and the slightly smaller head instills confidence. It or one of its cousins in the G400 line should be on anyone's demo list if they are in the market for a driver upgrade this season.

Final score: 96 - a solid A from the Rev. with caveats that the club must be dialed in to fit your game and the shaft carefully selected.

Thanks again to Ping and MGS Spy for this opportunity. I will be checking back with you in a few months. Before then I will pick up a heavier shaft and as the summer moves on have the opportunity to play more golf and log many more practice hours. Until then please don't hesitate to hit me up with any questions.

IMG_1001.JPG

ball at address.jpg

hard working.JPG

IMG_1156.JPG

hard working.JPG

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

Stage One – Tester Introduction | 5.1.18

review.jpg

Hello, hello! First and foremost I've got to give a huge shoutout to MGS and PING for allowing me to partake in such an awesome review. I've had my eye on the G400 line since they've come out, so I will do whatever I can to make sure my review is as helpful as possible to those that may also have their eye on them.

I'm Tyler, the 6'6” lefty in the photo above. That's right, tall and southpaw, two things you don't see too much of in golf. I'm a 27 year-old golfaholic from the small town of Belle, MO. I'm not one of those guys who grew up playing the sport, and I never had any intention of watching or playing golf. I've always been a basketball guy. That was until three years ago when my buddy talked me into buying a box set of Top Flite clubs, and I suddenly fell in love with the game. I had no background in golf whatsoever. Like many new golfers out there, I quickly turned to YouTube and the internet for swing tips, pointers, whatever was available to help me progress. To be honest, I'm quite the information *****, so I loved the learning process. Whether that be golf fundamentals, equipment releases, tour gossip, whatever it was I somehow always had the one up on my buddy who has played all his life. He knew the golf bug hit me hard. I've also been a tinkerer, so the whole club modification process was right up my alley. Changing grips, adding extensions, swapping shafts, paint fill, I love it all. Adding to that the fact that I get to be outdoors competing against myself in some of the most scenic places is absolutely the reason why I will never quit playing the game and I'll always kick myself in the ass for never taking it up sooner.

map (2).jpg

My game, or lack thereof

To this day, I am self taught. The closest fitter is nearly two hours away, and because of that, I've mostly been an off-the-rack kinda guy. I do, however, do plenty of research before I make club selections to make sure I'm getting gear and specs that I think would be best suited for me.  I am currently playing around a 12 hdcp, hoping to drop that a little this season. One of my biggest weaknesses right now that contributes to my hdcp is inconsistency. Yes, that's a very broad spectrum, but it's true. I have days where certain areas are great and others are bad and vice versa. Fortunately there is one area where I'm usually pretty confident and that is around the green. Recently my putting and chipping has been pretty reliable, except for the occasional skulled chip shots across the green, but we like to forget about those.

My current bag setup is as follows:

• Driver: Cobra King F7+ | Fujikura Pro XLR8 61 | Stiff

• Fairway: Callaway XR | Project X LZ 50 | Regular

• Hybrid: ……..

• Irons: Ping i200 | 4-PW | N.S Pro Modus Tour 105 | Stiff

• Wedges: Callaway MD3 | 52-56-60 | Dynamic Gold | Stiff

• Puttter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | 36.5”

bag.jpg

As you can see, I'm pulling a Patrick Reed and not sticking to one brand. Also, I don't have a hybrid because I traded it. Oops. After getting tired of my Top Flites I quickly upgraded to something a little more appealing. I started off with a Cobra Bio Cell, because let's face it, I loved the Cobra blue! I then added the XR 3W, Mack Daddy 3s, Ping G25s and a Cleveland TFI 2135 putter. Since then I've swapped the Bio Cell for an F7+, the G25s for some i200s and the Cleveland putter for, well, lots of different putters. I'm a putter ho.

I will be putting the G400 Max to the test against my current gamer, the F7+. One reason I upgraded from the Bio Cell to the F7+ was because I thought it was time I get myself a “real” driver, whatever that meant. When it comes to drivers, there are a few factors that I look at. First, as much as most of us hate to admit it, looks are a big factor in buying a club. One reason why I chose the + version over the standard, probably more forgiving F7 with the gloss finish. Secondly, forgiveness and if the science behind it works. Then the price, because I'm no Jordan Belfort, and I like budget friendly. My driver swing speed tends to be around 100-105 with misses and ball flights being all over the place. Remember earlier when I said inconsistency was my biggest weakness?

First Impressions

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

Large and in charge. Those are the words that come to mind when talking about the G400 Max. Ping decided to push the limits to the Max as some would say, by creating a 460cc head with a footprint of nearly 5” x 5”. The G400 line is designed to provide distance through extreme levels of stability and forgiveness. Think of the G400 Max version as the standard head on steroids. Keeping the same design they introduced with the G30, the turbulators make another appearance. That, paired with dragonfly technology and the dimpling “infinity edge” across the back, help create maximum airflow across the head.

driver6.jpg

driver2.jpg

The thin T9S+ forged face flexes more to ramp up ball speed for generating consistently long, straight drives. The face is also textured to increase friction for reducing spin.

driver.jpg
driver1.jpg

Ping has always made gorgeous clubs, but this one takes that to the next level. The matte black paired with copper highlights is the absolute perfect combo. When it comes to driver, I think we can all use a little help. Hitting fairways is crucial for going low and I cannot wait to get this thing out on the course and put it through the wringer. I plan on hitting the course this week, and the driving range this weekend to put it face to face versus my F7+. Here's to hoping the Max can provide the much needed forgiveness my driving game needs.

driver4.jpg

driver3.jpg

driver5.jpg

shaft.jpg

grip.jpg

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Stage Two - The Review | 6.20.18

PING G400 Max - Official MGS Forum Review by Tyler Sauer

The moment we've all been waiting for….

I was able to put the Max to the test against my current (we'll discuss that later) Cobra KING F7+ in every way I could. Most of my testing took place on course, as I had no access to a LM or anything of the such. But, don't worry, I made sure to make this a rigorous test as I truly wanted to challenge the F7+ and give it the boot.

Looks - 10/10

For some, the large head with all of the added technology may be too much. However, in my case, all of these additions only added to my confidence when stepping up to tee off. The bold turbulators paired with the Dragonfly Technology make it easy to tell yourself you're going absolutely crush it! Very seldom would I give a driver 10/10 when it comes to looks, as I'm very picky. Whoever it was a PING that came up with the color scheme for the G400 line deserves a raise. The matte black, the copper, the metallic PING lettering on the bottom just screams premium. Pair that with a chameleon-esque shaft that changes color depending on how you're holding it, and it quickly becomes something you can't take your eyes off of. Compared to my F7, they've both got the all black/matte look going for them. I really thought the F7 was one of the best looking drivers I've seen at the time, at least the top of the head. I'm not a huge fan of the orange, but that's something you never really see. But now, with the Max, I'm constantly flipping it over to look at the bottom and admire its' beauty.

Photo Jun 22, 7 03 40 PM.jpg 

Photo Jun 22, 7 03 54 PM.jpg

Sound & Feel - 8/10

Sound is a huge thing when it comes to drivers, sometimes literally. I hate drivers that are so loud off of the face that you have to cover your ears to prevent loss of hearing. Okay, I've never had that problem, but you catch my drift. If I were to pick a winner solely based on sound and sound only, my current F7+ would win. Now this doesn't mean the G400 is ugly sounding, but it does have a bit of a “ting” to it. I tried capturing a video portraying the sound in its' rawest form, I will attach that below. I was hitting TaylorMade Tour Preferred X balls, so keep that in mind. When it comes to feel, there's one word to describe it….. butter. I tend to have a lot of mis-hits when it comes to the driver, which were always followed by shots that ended up way off line and you could definitely tell when one was not hit center. The feel on the face is consistent no matter where it is struck. Huge turn-on for a hacker like myself. The CB in the shaft stands for counter-balance, so it allows them to put more weight in the head to help with forgiveness without having it feel super heavy in the hands. I never really thought about that aspect much until I started hitting the Max for a while then went back and hit the F7, and wow, it makes a heap of difference. I'm not sure how you do it PING, but keep on keepin' on. The Max is effortless.

PING G400 Max sound off the tee w/TaylorMade Tour Preferred

Cobra KING F7+ sound test w/Callaway Chrome Soft

PING G400 Max sound test w/Callaway Chrome Soft

Range Performance - 17/20

First off, let's talk about accuracy, because that's what is most important when it comes to the big stick. If you can't hit fairways, you better move on. It's not like I had a problem hitting fairways with my F7, but a big percentage of those fairways were the wrong ones. Guess what, that all changed when the Max came to play. There isn't a better feeling than hitting the ball exactly where you want to. The increased forgiveness with the Max made this an easy task. Fairways are no my friend.

As you can probably guess from my previous statement about missing fairways, I struggled with distance consistency. I sometimes hit it 250 yards.. 50 straight, 200 to the left. Now I did have some big drives with my F7, but not as big as the last drive I had during league night on Monday. I'll talk about that below, as I'm still wowed by what happened. The awesome thing about the Max is that you don't lose a ton of distance on mis-hits. All my time testing the G400 Max and I haven't once hit a huge ‘nanner slice.

When it comes to the trajectory of the Max, there is only one thing I have to say it is...  Houston, we have lift off!! The Max launches balls HIIIIIIIIGH! So high in fact that I had to adjust the loft down to 9.5* which is something I've never done before. I'm not complaining one bit though, I love it.

The last thing I want to speak about under range performance is forgiveness. Forgiveness is something I will always seek when it comes to the driver. The large head, the CB shaft, the high 9,900+ MOI, and the deep deep center of gravity is all I'll ever need. I'm not sure who hits the center of the face every time, but it sure as hell isn't this guy. I can't speak on behalf of consistency as far as hitting the middle of the face, but I can consistently use all of the face.. So I got that going for me. One thing I love about the Max, as I mentioned earlier, is that mis-hits don't hurt you. Toe hits don't slice off like they did with my F7. The distance may let up, but you're still playing a nice, solid fade. I'll take it.

On-Course Performance - 40/40

Remember earlier when I said I had something to talk about when it comes to distance? Well, I nearly drove a 300 yard green, ended up on the hill of the green, and that is something that never happens. I used to hate teeing off, especially during scrambles because I knew my tee shots wouldn't be of much help. But now, move out the way, Max is coming through and ready to launch one. I will now gladly be the first guy to tee up and let it rip. Ever since switching to the Max, my confidence has increased which has therefore made the game that much more fun. Giving this club a perfect on-course score was a no brainer. I have never played better golf and it feels great. I know some may say there is no way a driver can change your game just like that, but trust me, it can. When you're missing fairways, hitting hazards, hitting OB, and losing balls of of the tee… that hurts. It doesn't only mean you have to hit provisionals or add strokes to your score, but it makes you scared to tee off on those long holes in fear of losing one and risk a scoring opportunity.

When it comes to PING, you know you're getting something of high quality. I knew right out of the gate I was not going to be let down, as PING is a brand that always stands behind their statements in terms of technology and forgiveness. I will be curious to see if they continue with the Dragonfly and turbulators in their next models. For me, I hope they continue it. At first I thought it would be too much, but after a little while, it grew on me and it is just one of those features that helps you launch balls like you never have before.

Play it or Trade it? - 20/20

The PING G400 Max is absolutely, 100% going in the bag. No questions asked. There is a reason the G400 line is getting so much attention, and that's because it does as promised. If you are like me and board the struggle bus when it comes to tee shots, please go hit the Max, you will not be disappointed. I would love to get some different shafts in there and find something to possibly lower the launch a little bit, but other than that it's a no brainer for me.

Conclusion

Do you love forgiveness?

Are stripe shows your thing?

Enjoy finding fairways?

If so, then go hit the Max or any other model in the G400 line. While some of you may be turned off by the busy looks of the head, you'll also be turned on by finding your ball closer to the green than ever before. The tee box is one area I thought I would never improve on, but I can now say it's one of my favorite areas to be. My slices are no longer, I stay out of the cabbage, and there is no more frustration after hitting bad shots… simply because you can't hit a bad shot with the G400. Go demo one, I dare you!

Final Score 95/100

Stage One - Ping G400 LST

IMG_3385.JPG

First off, big ups to MyGolfSpy and Ping for the opportunity to share my thoughts on the G400 LST. I know my fellow Spies are eagerly anticipating impressions from the G400 review team, so for the next few months feel free to hit me with any G400 LST related inquiries.

Golf has been central to my life for 25 years. How central you ask? By my estimation, it took roughly 7 years to join the "One Million Range Balls" club. I essentially adopted Hogan's dirt digging approach to scoring - hit it inside 20 feet every time and try not to 3-putt. This strategy continued through the college years with mixed results. I tried to break even (financially) on the mini-tours for a couple years; but enduring residence near the bottom of the distance stat column and a 70.8 scoring average was not a recipe for moving up to the next level. So I regained my amateur status and put a full-press on the USGA Championship schedule. Fingers crossed you guys will see me sporting a MyGolfSpy USA lid at the Masters someday.

The preceding paragraph is an illustration of my love for golf - frustration and reward are flip sides of the coin. Try as we might to work the problem and consistently predict the outcome, it's difficult to gain any advantage with 50/50 odds. But as a stat enthusiast and glutton for punishment, that's exactly the kind of challenge I'm happy to spend a lifetime chasing.

Representing 6 different OEMs and spanning a shade under 2 decades, the mutt lineage of WITB is undeniable. Setup specifics are listed in my signature. They all earned spots in the bag for one reason...they work.

WITB.jpg

My current gamer is a '16 Tmag M1 430 9.5* - I have always gravitated toward drivers with a smaller address profile. Because I like to work the ball both directions off the tee, the ability to feel the clubface is very important to me. Within moments of putting a driver in my hands, the chemistry (or lack thereof) is evident. I don't know if it's drag properties, weight placement astern or merely appearance; but traditionally me and high-MOI heads don't get along.

IMG_3393.JPG

Driver clubhead speed varies a bit depending on my shot shape. A more controllable ball flight by nature, I'm comfortable going harder at a fade and clock in ~112mph. For me, patience is the foundation of a predictable draw and speed subsequently drops to ~109. Eschewing the distance gains offered by the positive angle of attack (+AOA) knuckleball strategy; off the tee I'm looking for something more akin to a cut fastball. In other words, short grass stats are priority #1. My typical miss is either slightly overcooking the curve _or_ getting quick and catching it a groove low. Given situational latitude, the low road is my trajectory preference but I can also reach the top shelf when necessary.

On the scoring side, I would characterize myself a grinder. I shoot even par _a lot_ and it frustrates me to no end. My index is currently 0.6 and that's probably accurate at this stage in the season. But it should come down as I am on the backend of a debilitating shoulder injury that significantly hampered my practice/playing schedule over the past 18 months. I've been told my tempo is on the smooth end of the spectrum although it doesn't feel that way. When I'm swinging well, everything feels quiet and collected at the top but you may judge for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8bqkRLG1ac&feature=youtu.be

Onward to the meat and potatoes...

First things first, I think the marketing mavens at Ping really missed an opportunity on the G400 lineup. Specifically, they should have been marketed as the "OG"400, because this head is straight up murdered out.
IMG_3377.JPG
The way the crown absorbs light is reminiscent of a black hole.
IMG_3369.JPG
Not that Bruce Wayne would ever buy off the rack, but if he did, the G400 lineup would be an obvious addition to Batman's 2018 WITB.
IMG_3360.JPG
I selected the G400 LST specifically for the purported stable mid launch/spin characteristics that emerge when Ping moves the tungsten weight bar forward.
IMG_3388.JPG
"F" is for Fast Forged Face... according to Ping
IMG_3366.JPG
Slippery when dry - In theory; reduced drag equals increased clubhead speed; and Ping claims to have reduced open face (basically the entire downswing) drag coefficient by 40% (15% overall).
IMG_3384.JPG
What's under the hood? - Ping is renowned for their top-shelf OEM components and word on the street suggests the Alta 55 CB platform is no exception. In addition to counter weighting on the grip end, Ping applied a vibrant copper "color-shift" finish that transforms to matte black viewed at address.
IMG_3379.JPG
What else is under the hood? - I thought it might be illuminative to also share my numbers/impressions with the Tour 65 S. Ping says the Tour 65 platform will reduce spin by an additional ~200rpm.
IMG_3381.JPG

In the past, I faced a trade-off with lower MOI driver heads that allowed me to easily work tee shots both directions. Traditionally the downside with a more workable head has been substantial distance loss and abysmal dispersion with off center strikes. However, within the G400 design, engineers at Ping seem to have sewn a number of magic beans that bust the trade-off curve. Ping has supposedly delivered a fast forged face that reduces spin and is also pleasing to the ear (and amygdala); an aero drag profile that slips through the downswing like it's in the vacuum of space; and a mid launch/spin head with still beefy MOI stats. My research leads me to believe Ping may have crafted their own version of "Goldilocks and the Four G400s" with this release; but in the rewrite, every bowl of porridge is the kitchen is jussst right for someone. Truth or fairytale - verdicts (and lots of launch numbers) to come in Stage 2.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

PING G400 LST – Official MGS Forum Review by downlowkey

Radio check... calling all Spies. It's been seven weeks since our Ping G400 review team Stage One dropped and I have been busy getting in reps with the 10* LST (set to 9*); on the range/course and in the LM booth. The "stat"abase: (1200) outdoor range balls; (65) regulation holes; (4) hours in the booth (Full Swing Pro 1 Series). I would say it's been a lot of "work" but when you're doing something you love...

Regardless how things eventually shake out between us, the G400 LST and I have spent a great deal of quality time together.

Looks (10 out of 10 points)

G400 LST.jpg

The G400 LST looks mean; from every angle. A burst array of turbulators make for a topographically diverse but intentionally directed crown, reminiscent of stealth aerodynamics. In my opinion, driver heads with a subtle transition from crown to face look better for some reason and the softly curved top edge on the G400 is one the best looking merges I've seen. To me the LST appears to set up just a hair open at address, a characteristic that also belongs on the positive side of my pro/con list. I'm a big fan of the matte black finish Ping settled on for the G400 lineup. The graphics on the sole of any club make zero difference to me but the copper pinstriped undercarriage on the G400 is show worthy. She's a Perfect 10!

Sound & Feel (9.5 out of 10 points)

https://youtu.be/tQ33vjkibu4

This LST has perfect pitch. The engineers at Ping tuned this head with a particular goal in mind - create a sound that stimulates the amygdala and inspires confidence. Much as that may sound like more marketing witchcraft, my temporal lobes have never been happier. It's not quiet but the frequency spectrum emanating from the sweet spot is more refined concert orchestra than 3 piece garage metal band.

The face feels solid but also springy; like it swallows the ball and immediately spits it back out. Feedback outside the sweet spot isn't particularly enlightening (i.e. where exactly did I miss that?). But substantial forgiveness engineered into the G400 is the most likely culprit so it doesn't really seem right to deduct a full point for that one and mis-hits aren't the least bit jarring.

I think the combination of moderate volume, pleasing tone and energetic feel of the LST has been dialed in perfectly.

Range Performance (20 out of 20 points)

Straight driving has been one of the hallmarks of my game for the past 5 years, not necessarily straight ball flight but I typically land in the vicinity of my targets off the tee. In Stage One, I mentioned a preference to work tee balls both directions and a tendency to slightly overcook the curve on misses. My reasoning - working the ball away from trouble keeps me out of it more often than not. The G400 LST has been somewhat of a paradigm shift. For the past month this thing has been pick a target, point and shoot. I can get it to move both directions but it really just wants to go straight... chalk line straight. It was initially disconcerting but I've grown to appreciate the switch to one stock driver swing and the dispersion has also been reassuring. I don't put much faith in range ball performance consistency (trajectory, turn, carry, etc.) but this head seems to produce very reliable results all over the sweet zone and the egregious misses turn out much better than any gamer I've ever had in the bag.

On-Course Performance (39 out of 40 points)

*Disclaimer (I play golf at 5000+ feet, so subtract 10% from all distances for sea level comparison)

I mentioned being hamstrung for most of last season with a gnarly shoulder injury and over that stretch nowhere was it more evident than off the tee. In 2017 with a '16 Tmag M1 430 in the bag; Shot Scope had my total distance stat at 287. A long steady regimen of golf specific PT has me in a much better place physically this season. My swing speed is back up in the ~110 mph range and impact stability is also much improved. I upgraded to Shot Scope V2 this season and have assigned separate tracking tags to both the M1 and G400. The updated 2018 distance stat line: M1 - 296; G400 LST - 301. Longer does not necessarily mean straighter but I've found the fairway on 73.8% of the 65 holes with the Ping doing the driving (compared to 58.2% last season). And with the exception of a handful sprayed wide right the first couple of weeks in the bag, my misses have been just off the fairway. In addition to being collinear, the distance variance on the LST is noteworthy. My miss is toward the hosel end of the face and even off the heel, this driver telegraphs solid distance. Playing 25% more shots from the fairway also had a scoring impact with my most recent revision moving from (0.6) to (+1.4).

There have been several memorable pokes with the Ping but one stands out more than the rest.

The Bear Paw.jpg

Bear Dance (Larkspur, CO) - Hole 6 is a 326 yard par 4 that offers two vastly different options off the tee. You can take the safe route; ~200 yard shot into a wide fairway short left of the bear paw bunker complex _OR_ tee it high and let it fly; but any mishit will be gobbled up by one of the eleven deep, steep faced traps guarding the straight line to the green. We started on the back nine so #6 was our 15th hole and the G400 LST had been delivering all day. The hole was cut front right, just over the bunkers on a green segment with ~600 sq/ft of usable real estate. Our course shepherd on this day advised that the bear paw bunkers were death and if I did manage to carry them, my ball likely wouldn't stay on the correct level which probably results in a par... or worse. From our box to the green it was playing slightly downhill, 305 total (300 front edge). I teed one up a little higher than usual and flushed it on a string right at the hole. The shepherd mutters "Oh man, he might have done it". The ball lands softly on the front edge, rolls right over the hole and settles 15 feet behind. I lipped out the putt but the easy tap-in birdie absolutely felt like a stroke gained. And strokes gained is the underlying story for me.

The Numbers

I spent a few hours in the booth with Stiff versions of both the Ping Tour 65 and Alta CB 55. Halfway through testing I took an inch off the tip of the Alta trying to decrease my spin numbers and tighten the dispersion. But the flex profile of the Alta just isn't a great fit for my swing and the Tour 65 has been sniper rifle straight from the very beginning.

The pertinent Tour 65 S numbers (averaged) from my last LM session:

Launch Lab.jpg

Play it or Trade it? (20 out of 20 points)

Play.All.Day. For me, swinging the G400 is akin to slow and steady cooking over smoldering lump charcoal compared to some other heads that are like trying to cook a nice steak with a blast furnace. I've tested numerous drivers that seemed to offer substantial distance gains on the monitor but the on course reality was often a really LONG way, the WRONG way - not at all my preferred brand of golf. Lacking confidence has never really been an issue but I feel absolutely fearless with the LST in my hands. From the perspective of workability, a tiny fade is my natural ball flight with the Ping and getting it to turn left takes some effort. But because of the laser like precision it offers, I'm honestly thrilled about the new (shortest distance between two points) tee ball strategy. Over the past several weeks, my rounds have been so much less stressful. A playing partner's recent comment: "Good gawd that's boring... you might as well drop a ball in the middle of the fairway on every hole". Translation: strokes gained.

Conclusion

The Ping G400 LST looks like a thoroughbred, sings like an angel, punches like a title holder and runs on rails. I actually just purchased a 8.5* LST head last week for additional testing (hoping to decrease spin and get the trajectory nosing over for a little more roll out on the turf). Nonetheless, by all appearances, my story with this driver is one of a lasting love affair.

Final Score: (98.5)

Maxfli___'23 Tour X

Ping G400 Max Driver Review - Introduction - May 1, 2018

Drive for show, putt for dough:

Not me.  With me it's almost always been “drive into trouble, putt for double (if I'm lucky).”  It all started way back when, when I first got into the game of golf…

I'm Rob, and I grew up in Central Maine.  Around the age of 12, I told my father that I wanted to learn to play golf.  I was fortunate that there was a 9-hole course nearby that I could play for free and between that, an inexpensive half-set (lefty) and a couple of lessons from the pro at the course, I was on my way.  I could often be seen riding my bike up to the course with my clubs in a pull-cart bungee-corded to the back. I played regularly through high school. I played football, basketball and ran track, but always found time to swing my sticks.  I was never a scratch golfer but could consistently shoot right around 80 at the time. The best round I ever played was in high school. My track coach and I played after practice, and I shot an all-time low round of 75 in a torrential downpour.  Good times!

College, marriage and kids (all at almost the same time) slowed the golf game down to a crawl.  For nearly 30 years, my golf schedule consisted of a few rounds per year with a benefit scramble or two thrown in.  I wanted to play more, I just couldn't justify the time or the expense during that period.

A little over a year ago, I started to play regularly again.  A former colleague and good friend from Maine moved to Southwest Florida, and he and I started to play at least a couple times a month.  We were having such a good time, we went to playing almost weekly. At first my game was really ugly, now it's just ugly. I'm 30 years older, a lot stiffer and quite a bit heavier than I was at 20, and it shows in my game.  I can easily forget that when I address the ball, which causes bad things to happen.

https://youtu.be/IyRNeqsZxQA

Currently, my handicap stands at an ego-shattering 29.  It would probably be about 10 strokes lower if I were able to play courses that weren't so tight (I have an unfortunate number of penalties included in most of my scores).  I play several courses where missing either direction by 10 or 15 yards is downright punitive. In fact, there's a muni that I play occasionally that is much more open, and I generally post a lower score on that par 72 course than I do on a lot of the par 62's that are nearby.  If I could afford the extra hour of travel time, that's where I'd play all of my rounds and I'm sure my handicap would improve.

I struggled getting off the tee for a long time.  I usually would pull the driver for one hole, slice it horribly, and not pull it again.  Out would come the trusty Eye2 2-iron, and I'd settle for 200 yards off the tee in the fairway.  Last fall, I went to the driving range, intent on getting my driver working. Sure enough, a couple of tweaks to my swing and I started driving it fairly long and straight.  If you'd have told me at any time in the last 30 years that I'd get to the point where I was more confident with the driver in my hand than any other club, I never would have believed it.  But, that's where I am today.

The Current Gamers:

Cleveland Hi-Bore XLS 10.5* Driver with Fujikura Gold Stiff

TM 19* Hybrid

Ping Eye 2  2-iron

Ping i20  4 – UW

Cleveland CG 12 Wedges 56* and 60*

Guerin Rife Two-Bar Mallet Putter

IMG_20180331_161957032.jpg

I'd love to say that I had done a bunch of research, been fitted, and purchased everything tailor-made, but that couldn't be further from the truth.  I'm a poor guy playing a rich guy's game, so everything I have is old. My entire bag, including the bag itself, probably cost me less than $300. I just try to read as much as I can and make purchases that may work better for me without spending much in the process.

So, now that you know more about me than you ever wanted to (heck, I'm not sure even I want to know that much about me) we can get to the topic at hand.

DRIVERS!!

I'm currently gaming the aforementioned Cleveland, which I picked up as part of a full bag deal about 9 months ago.  I hit this driver better than I've ever hit a driver. I tend to hit it anywhere from 245 to 260 yards and straight when I get my swing right.  The flight is pretty high, but not ridiculously so. When I lose it, I tend to lose it left.

When the opportunity to test and review the Ping G400 driver came about, I was pretty excited.  Driver is the club I'm most confident with right now, and while my driver works pretty well for me, it will be interesting to see if the G400 can improve upon what I've got going.

I decided even before being selected to test that I would get fitted unless I was specifically asked not to.  It was definitely the right choice. I had listed the SFT in my application after trying several different settings with the online tool.  I didn't necessarily trust my own judgment about flight and trajectory, didn't really have 100% confidence in my distance choice and wasn't sure whether it was carry distance or total distance. The most common online result was the SFT with a tour 65 regular shaft.  Depending on the setting it would occasionally recommend the Max, but always with the tour 65 or tour 75 shaft.

When I got fitted, I warmed up and laid down a baseline with my Cleveland driver.  After watching me swing and looking at the numbers my fitter, who is also a teaching pro, said it definitely needed to be a stiff shaft.  He only had two lefty heads, the G400 and the SFT. He put together several different combinations and I must have hit 150 shots. I only took two with the SFT head and tour 65 shaft.  He watched those two swings and knew that it wasn't the combination for me, even though it was the most common recommendation from the nFlight tool.

I even hit the regular G400 better than the SFT. When I told him about the nFlight recommendation, he told me he isn't all that impressed by the online fitting. He said he'd seen a bunch of the online fittings that were pretty far off from the story that the launch monitor tells.  

After hitting all of those shots we settled on the G400 Max head at 9* lofted to 9.5* with the CB Alta stiff shaft, at 45 ½”.  While I didn't get to hit the Max during the fitting, the numbers from the launch monitor indicated this would be an even better combination than the G400 with the CB Alta stiff shaft.

I've got to tell you, the fitting was enlightening and well worth the $30 I spent.

As for my new driver, Ping's claims for the G400 Max are that it has the tightest dispersion, a muted sound that also increases feel, and a forged face that increases ball speed.  They also claim that the bolder turbulators and head shape increase club head speed, while the patterned face decreases spin. My goal is to test all of the above. I intend to spend a good deal of time at the range with this club, gather hard numbers on the launch monitor, and keep accurate notes about its performance on the course.

Image 1.jpg

Image 2.jpg

Image 3.jpg

Image 4.jpg

Image 5.jpg

Carter.jpg

(My favorite range buddy and future Golf Spy showing the length comparison between my Cleveland and the Ping.)

Does the G400 do what Ping claims?  Does it decrease dispersion? Does it maintain distance with less than solid contact?  Does it increase ball and clubhead speed? Does it reduce spin? Stay tuned to find out what my results are, and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Ping G400 Max (9*) – Official MGS Forum Review by 00sportsman – 6/22/2018

My goal for this review was to find out exactly how much the G400 Max can help a high-handicap hacker like me.  Ping's claims for the G400 Max are that it has the tightest dispersion, a muted sound that also increases feel, and a forged face that increases ball speed.  They also claim that the bolder turbulators and head shape increase clubhead speed, while the patterned face decreases spin.

For the review, I played eight rounds, made five trips to the range, and made two launch monitor visits.  My goal was to play ten rounds, but I got rained out a few times and wasn't able to squeeze in any more.

Let's get down to business…

Appearance:

If you're a fan of the “murdered out” look like I am, then this is the driver for you.  Not only is the top of the head essentially all matte black but the Alta CB shaft, which is a fairly attractive copper color with graphics, seems to fade to black at address.  The turbulators on the head don't stand out too much, and there aren't any distractions when you stand over the ball.

G400Address.jpg

Flip the head over and there is a little color, with white highlights, a copper colored tungsten insert, PING in large chrome letters and G400 Max in red and white lettering.  The face carries some graphics that imitate grooves, with a wide-open space indicating what I would expect would be the “sweet spot.”  While there is no contrasting alignment aid, the turbulators are shaped in such a way that they form a natural alignment aid on the crown.  I don't find that quite as helpful as one in a contrasting color, but it does help some.

G400Sole.jpg

460 cc's is the limit for a driver and this one uses it all.  The head looks massive, which can provide some confidence when standing over the ball and compared to my Cleveland Hi Bore it is much more rounded.  The head appears pretty sleek, without any awkward cuts or transitions.  The appearance at address is pretty much all business, and that's something I can get into.

G400TopView.jpg

The Official 00sportsman Appearance Rating:  9/10

Sound/Feel:

When I was fitted for my driver, I took my Cleveland Hi Bore to establish a baseline to work from.  The fitter set me up in a bay and went to grab a couple of things while I warmed up.  When he came back, his first comment was “I remember that sound.  I used to wear earplugs when people were hitting those.”  During the fitting, that was not a problem with the G400's.  The Ping had a much softer and more muted sound than the Cleveland.  I hit both the standard G400 and the G400 SFT during the fitting and didn't really notice much difference in sound between the two.  The Golf Galaxy I was fitted at did not have the Max or LST in lefty at the time.  When the Max arrived, I was a little surprised at how loud it was.  I was expecting it to be like the heads I hit during the fitting, but I would say it is much more like the Cleveland.  I have found that the sound adds to the feel.  Sound plays a huge part in my understanding of how well I hit the ball and the sound of the Max, while loud compared to the two heads I hit during testing, is not so loud that it detracts from the experience of hitting it in any way.  (It has a little intimidation factor for the guys I usually play with as well.)

https://youtu.be/ZQKYfd1o5vI

I tried to get video of the sound comparison between my previous two gamers (a PGF Southpaw and my Cleveland Hi-Bore) and the G400 Max.  I also downloaded a decibel meter for my phone.  Both the Cleveland and the Ping G400 Max registered at 76 decibels, which I suppose is possible, but I don't believe that that measurement is particularly valid.  You can watch the video and come to your own conclusion (or not.)

In terms of feel, I find the G400 Max to provide good feedback.  I tend to play balls that are pretty soft (think Wilson Duo Soft, Wilson Zip, Callaway Chrome Soft, etc.) and I usually know I've hit the ball well if I don't know for sure that I even hit it.  However, the Ping provides a fairly soft feel even with hard range balls or mishits.  When I mishit, which happens more often than for some, I still get good feedback and can essentially feel where on the face the ball struck. 

I'm always looking for ways to help determine what went wrong in my swing.  The feedback I get from the G400 Max definitely helps with that.

3Gamers2.jpg

(Cleveland Hi-Bore, G400 Max, PGF Southpaw)

The Official 00sportsman Sound/Feel Rating:  10/10

Range Performance

(Disclaimer:  I'm getting older and I'm out of shape, so taking 90+ swings in half an hour or so leads to some ugliness toward the end of the session, even at the range.)

So, what is the actual performance like?  I spent 5 range trips and 2 launch monitor visits trying to come up with an answer to that question…

Driving Range:  While at the range, I used a couple of different techniques to try to determine just how good this driver is.  I'm not great at working the ball, so my attempts at drawing and fading the ball can be interesting at best.  For a player like myself the real question is if the G400 Max helps with distance and dispersion.  Can it help minimize trouble off the tee and create consistency?   I would have to say yes to this. 

G400Face.jpg

In each range session, I tried and succeeded to both slice and hook this driver.  To do it, I had to put ridiculously bad swings on.  I can't seem to find that sweet spot with my swing where I can hit a nice draw or fade intentionally, but I can swing poorly enough to slice it or hook it 150 yards.  As bad a swing as I can have at times, I don't think I've ever taken a swing with the driver on a golf course that was unintentionally as bad as those swings were.  With what would be a typical bad swing for me, I still got good results in both distance and accuracy.

Another thing I tried with this driver (and was completely unable to do) was to slow down and hit it less than 100%.  I'll cover this a little more in the On-Course Performance section, but I tried at the range to hit this club intentionally around 180-200 yards with good trajectory and flight.  I simply can't do it.  I'm sure it can be done, but not by me right now.  I had an awful time trying to take a slower or shorter swing and still hit it well.

Launch Monitor:  Range performance is all well and good, but you only get my perception of the swings and the results.  Instead, here are some actual numbers from the launch monitor.  I had two sessions at the nearest Golf Galaxy and each time I worked with the same fitter that did my initial fitting for the Max.  I used my Cleveland Hi-Bore and the Ping G400 Max, as well as a brand-new dozen Callaway Chrome Soft X (Red Truvis – Thanks Wedgie!)  Because my swing fades significantly toward the end of each session – see the disclaimer above – the fitter and I basically selected the ten best drives, in terms of total distance, for each driver from both sessions combined.  I had a print-out of the sessions and have entered them into a spreadsheet so you can see the numbers for yourself.

You undoubtedly want to know what it looks like on the launch monitor when I hit the ball well.  Here's the answer:

ClevelandBest10.jpg

PingBest10.jpg

The Ping G400 Max is longer and has a tighter dispersion.  The column that didn't come up on the launch monitor is “Offline (No Direction).  I added that because I feel it really tells the story on accuracy.  The other “Offline” column takes direction into account, and if you miss left by 100 yards, then miss right by 100 yards, it will give you an average of 0.  The column with no direction just averages how far offline the drives were, regardless of hook or slice, and I think it's a fairer way of assessing just how well the drivers control dispersion.

I can hear you now…  “OK, 00sportsman.  The ten best are informative, but I want to know what happens when you don't hit the ball well.  Anybody can get good results with modern drivers when they hit the ball well.  What happens with the crummy swings you've been talking about?”

Well, the fitter and I also selected what we felt were the most representative 10 worst drives for each driver over the two sessions and here they are.

ClevelandWorst10.jpg

PingWorst10.jpg

If you're a numbers guy or gal, I don't know how you could draw any conclusion other than the Ping G400 Max outperforms the Cleveland I've been playing by a fairly good margin.  On poor drives the distance is about the same but the average dispersion with the Ping is almost 11 yards tighter.   I still love my Cleveland, but I can't argue with the numbers.

The Official 00sportsman Range Performance Rating:  19/20

On-Course Performance

For about the past year, I have been more confident with a driver in my hand than with any other club.  I usually can put my driver in play in a decent location and have fewer mishits with that club than with any other club in the bag.  When I first got the driver, the fitter had recommended trying it lofted up at 9.6*.  I played the first 9 holes with it set that way, then went down to 9*.  The 9* setting has worked well for me, much better than the 9.6* 

I managed to sneak in 8 rounds with the G400 Max prior to writing this review and I have to say that while driver was probably the best club in my bag, the G400 Max has enhanced my driving in actual playing situations.  I play a variety of courses, and I often play short courses with fewer opportunities to pull the driver.  Once the G400 arrived, I intentionally sought out longer courses that offered more chances to hit driver from the tees.

G400Address2.jpg

The results are these:

I went back over the last 5 rounds I played with the Cleveland Hi-Bore, and pulled the fairways hit statistics from those rounds.  I use 18 Birdies for GPS and keeping basic statistics, so I had the data available.  In those 5 rounds, I went 22 of 47 fairways hit with the driver (47%).  I'm pretty strict about what constitutes hitting the fairway for the purpose of keeping my statistics, so while those numbers aren't particularly high I often have drives that aren't in the fairway but are in fairly good positions.  (There's one hole I play often where I don't want to drive it in the fairway because I can get a better angle to the green from the rough and it's usually pretty playable rough.)

Over the 8 rounds with the G400, I went 47 for 89 in fairways hit (53%).  I did play a couple of courses that I had played in the previous 5 with the Cleveland, and I hit 2 more fairways on both courses with the G400 Max.  While I can't give you exact distances and didn't really record them prior to being selected to review the G400, I can tell you that on courses that I have played with both the Cleveland and the Ping I have not lost any distance with the Ping and often have driven it further.  I took screenshots of a couple of these holes for this review, but I can't claim 100% accuracy of the GPS.

SLakesHole16.jpg

TwinIslesHole14.jpg

While the G400 Max works beautifully for me on holes where I can let it rip, I would like to be able to dial it back a little and maybe use it on holes that require drives more in the 190 – 220 yard range.  I flat out cannot do it.  I've tried both on the course and at the range, and I simply can't hit the thing without taking a full-speed and full-length swing.  I can see this driver being a real weapon on shorter holes as well as the longer holes if I could figure out how to hit it shorter.  It's something I can do with the Cleveland but haven't managed with the Ping yet.  I've never had any luck trying to shape my drives either, and for a player in my hacker category, being able to simply get the ball flying at your target is paramount.  The Ping G400 driver does that as well as I can picture any driver doing it.

Probably most important of all is that the 8 rounds I played with the Ping G400 Max dropped my handicap about 3 strokes.  While it could just be that playing and practicing more translated to an improvement in my game, I'm going to give the credit to the club.  It didn't fix my swing flaws, but it definitely minimizes the damage they can cause.

The Official 00sportsman On-Course Performance Rating:  38/40

Play It or Trade It?

Let's see…tighter dispersion, better distance, good sound and feel, and a lower handicap.  I think the answer is pretty clear.  The Ping G400 Max seems to do all of the things that Ping claims and that adds up to one solid driver.  I can see this driver helping just about anyone who struggles from the tee.  Need more distance?  Need straighter flight?  Get them both in one 460cc package.

You'd have to really come up with something special to get this driver out of my bag.  I love my Cleveland, but it's being relegated to the back-up bag.

7Drivers.jpg

(Can you pick the best driver from this picture?)

The Official 00sportsman Play It or Trade It Rating:  20/20

The Ping G400 Max provides a solid improvement over the Cleveland Hi-Bore XLS I've been gaming for the last 18 months.  It has great sound and feel, adds distance to my game and keeps the ball in play better.  I played 8 rounds with it and I dropped about 3 strokes from my handicap.  I'm not sure you could reasonably ask for any more from a driver than that.  It's obvious to me why the G400 is the Most Wanted testing winner.  It's a winner all the way around and gets a solid A+ from me.

Huge thanks to MGS and Ping for this opportunity.  What an experience!

The Official 00sportsman Final Rating:  96/100

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

One of the most anticipated forum testing reviews of the year! Have fun with it guys!

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1x / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: Titan Elite

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Current MyGolfSpy Review - Precision Pro Titan Elite Rangefinder:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/64979-testers-announced-precision-pro-titan-elite/?do=findComment&comment=1082733

Looking forward to following along!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

This is going to be a great thread. Looking forward to seeing what the testers have to say about these drivers.

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

Thanks guys - my stage one is up, the others should follow directly. Enjoy and please ask away as we will adjust our testing accordingly!

Great intro Rev, and DLK..Pictures say 1,000 words.  Just awesome shots sir!!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Great start guys! Definitely looking forward to hearing each of your thoughts!

*:taylormade-small: Staff PGA Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 LS (7.5*) - Tensei 1K White 60TX 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 Tour (13.5*) - Kai'li White 90X

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - Accra i110

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 (3iron Head weak to 4iron loft) - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Gap Wedge: image.png.51ba7b90defbd34f4ec9a71328ba8435.png MG4 Black 50.09 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Sand Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG4 Black 55.11 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe 3 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Putter: :taylormade-small: Custom Center Shaft Spider GTX - 33"

Bag:  :taylormade-small: Tour Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X MySymbol

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX10

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Nice start gents..... quick question for you both:

I'm used to looking at a smooth driver head....does all of that "stuff" (dragonfly, turbulators, streamline aerodynamics) on the top of the head bother you?  Is it too busy when you look down at it?  If so did you get used to it?

Also - is the weight port adjustable?  Can you substitute heavier/lighter weights?

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

This is going to beeeeee awesome

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Can't wait till you guys get a round or two on them. I'm even more in love with the Max after getting it on the course this past Sunday.

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 Ventus TR Black 5 S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :vokey-small: 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: :L.A.B.: DF3 x Accra

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Just busting at the seams to hear how ya hit 'em!!! Have fun all and good start!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I'm used to looking at a smooth driver head....does all of that "stuff" (dragonfly, turbulators, streamline aerodynamics) on the top of the head bother you? Is it too busy when you look down at it? If so did you get used to it?

Also - is the weight port adjustable? Can you substitute heavier/lighter weights?

The G400 crown could certainly be categorized as topographically diverse terrain; but it doesn't bother me one bit. So, in the poetically licensed lyrics of The Offspring... "You gotta keep 'em turbulated".

As for the weight port, Ping WRX likely maintains an inventory of plugs for purchase; but I believe that particular piece of the puzzle is the key variable for dialing in final swing weight after they have addressed the rest of your specific build specs.

Maxfli___'23 Tour X

Yup me too.

Can you guys give any “leaks” about anything yet.? Hehe

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I'm used to looking at a smooth driver head....does all of that "stuff" (dragonfly, turbulators, streamline aerodynamics) on the top of the head bother you? Is it too busy when you look down at it? If so did you get used to it?

Also - is the weight port adjustable? Can you substitute heavier/lighter weights?

Ping has always had busy crowns or at least has since the Rapture. Since I gamed one of those and currently game the G30 I didn't really notice anything funny. I will say that the tone of this driver is extremely muted. That will be good in Florida in the bright summer sun.

I can't answer on the weight. It looks as if it could be substituted out but that's not something Ping is suggesting as a variable on its website.

I found this listing for the head weights:

https://www.golfworks.com/ping-g400-head-weights/p/pgc004/

Definitely not a "stock" option but that's good that they aren't very expensive. Looks like they fit the fairways and hybrids as well.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I found this listing for the head weights:

https://www.golfworks.com/ping-g400-head-weights/p/pgc004/

Definitely not a "stock" option but that's good that they aren't very expensive. Looks like they fit the fairways and hybrids as well.

Interesting....it's as if Ping doesn't want you to swap them out.  Cobra sells different weights directly on their site.

Good to know it's an option if you want to experiment with things...

I am curious about the "LST"  (low spin) versus "SFT" (straight flight)  versus G400 (no changes)...  did ALL of the testers get the LST version?

Woods-

Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Interesting....it's as if Ping doesn't want you to swap them out. Cobra sells different weights directly on their site.

In fairness, Ping doesn't sell their product direct to consumer. The only thing you can buy on their website is gear. If you want to buy clubs (or weights in this case), you have to go through an authorized retailer.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

In fairness, Ping doesn't sell their product direct to consumer. The only thing you can buy on their website is gear. If you want to buy clubs (or weights in this case), you have to go through an authorized retailer.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Ah...good point...didn't realize that.  Huh.  Interesting.

Woods-

Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Great start guys!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
7W: :callaway-small:Epic Flash 19* TourAD (can't remember the exact model)
4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 23* Recoil 780ES
5-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
54*, 58*: :Sub70: TAIII Black
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Most Recent TestFit For Golf 2.0

Nice start fellow spies, can't wait to you get to stage 2 to hear what your experiences were with the G400. I would be all over the G400 line except that I just love the way my M2 looks, feels and sounds. Hoping the Ping would sound and feel as what they have been known to, I loved my G15 Ping driver.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Bumpity bump, my stage 1 is up!

So far, I'm absolutely loving the Max! Can't wait to tell you more about it in stage 2.

Archived