Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - PING G400 Drivers

Great write ups so far!!!!!! Looking forward to reading more!! Keep up the great work!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Interesting....it's as if Ping doesn't want you to swap them out. Cobra sells different weights directly on their site.

Good to know it's an option if you want to experiment with things...

I am curious about the "LST" (low spin) versus "SFT" (straight flight) versus G400 (no changes)... did ALL of the testers get the LST version?

No we have a 400 and 400 Max in the mix I think but no SFT.

It's very interesting to me that both downlowkey and I ended up in the LST. We obviously have very different games so I can't wait to see how that head performs with our contrasting styles. I'm also anxious to see what he sets his head to. I've done some experimenting with that already and think I've found my sweet spot there.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Interesting....it's as if Ping doesn't want you to swap them out.  Cobra sells different weights directly on their site.

Good to know it's an option if you want to experiment with things...

I am curious about the "LST"  (low spin) versus "SFT" (straight flight)  versus G400 (no changes)...  did ALL of the testers get the LST version?

I had continually gotten the SFT as the recommendation when I used the nFlight online fitting, but when I actually got to a launch monitor it wasn't even close.  I hit the regular G400 better than the SFT, and I'm a lefty that can really lose it left in a bad way.  I went into a little more detail about the fitting in my intro if you want to take a look, but long story short I ended up with the Max.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Nice jobs as well T and Sportsman. Now we have to sit and wait for the Stage 2's

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Great start, looking forward to reading about how the testing progresses.

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

Two Lefties?!!??!  :o  :o  :o

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Two Lefties?!!??! :o :o :o

That was my reaction. I usually feel like the only lefty on the planet.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Two Lefties?!!??! :o :o :o

We are slowly taking over the world😁...

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Stage One – Tester Introduction | 5.1.18

review.jpg

Hello, hello! First and foremost I've got to give a huge shoutout to MGS and PING for allowing me to partake in such an awesome review. I've had my eye on the G400 line since they've come out, so I will do whatever I can to make sure my review is as helpful as possible to those that may also have their eye on them.

I'm Tyler, the 6'6” lefty in the photo above. That's right, tall and southpaw, two things you don't see too much of in golf. I'm a 27 year-old golfaholic from the small town of Belle, MO. I'm not one of those guys who grew up playing the sport, and I never had any intention of watching or playing golf. I've always been a basketball guy. That was until three years ago when my buddy talked me into buying a box set of Top Flite clubs, and I suddenly fell in love with the game. I had no background in golf whatsoever. Like many new golfers out there, I quickly turned to YouTube and the internet for swing tips, pointers, whatever was available to help me progress. To be honest, I'm quite the information *****, so I loved the learning process. Whether that be golf fundamentals, equipment releases, tour gossip, whatever it was I somehow always had the one up on my buddy who has played all his life. He knew the golf bug hit me hard. I've also been a tinkerer, so the whole club modification process was right up my alley. Changing grips, adding extensions, swapping shafts, paint fill, I love it all. Adding to that the fact that I get to be outdoors competing against myself in some of the most scenic places is absolutely the reason why I will never quit playing the game and I'll always kick myself in the ass for never taking it up sooner.

map (2).jpg

My game, or lack thereof

To this day, I am self taught. The closest fitter is nearly two hours away, and because of that, I've mostly been an off-the-rack kinda guy. I do, however, do plenty of research before I make club selections to make sure I'm getting gear and specs that I think would be best suited for me. I am currently playing around a 12 hdcp, hoping to drop that a little this season. One of my biggest weaknesses right now that contributes to my hdcp is inconsistency. Yes, that's a very broad spectrum, but it's true. I have days where certain areas are great and others are bad and vice versa. Fortunately there is one area where I'm usually pretty confident and that is around the green. Recently my putting and chipping has been pretty reliable, except for the occasional skulled chip shots across the green, but we like to forget about those.

My current bag setup is as follows:

• Driver: Cobra King F7+ | Fujikura Pro XLR8 61 | Stiff

• Fairway: Callaway XR | Project X LZ 50 | Regular

• Hybrid: ……..

• Irons: Ping i200 | 4-PW | N.S Pro Modus Tour 105 | Stiff

• Wedges: Callaway MD3 | 52-56-60 | Dynamic Gold | Stiff

• Puttter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | 36.5”

bag.jpg

As you can see, I'm pulling a Patrick Reed and not sticking to one brand. Also, I don't have a hybrid because I traded it. Oops. After getting tired of my Top Flites I quickly upgraded to something a little more appealing. I started off with a Cobra Bio Cell, because let's face it, I loved the Cobra blue! I then added the XR 3W, Mack Daddy 3s, Ping G25s and a Cleveland TFI 2135 putter. Since then I've swapped the Bio Cell for an F7+, the G25s for some i200s and the Cleveland putter for, well, lots of different putters. I'm a putter ho.

I will be putting the G400 Max to the test against my current gamer, the F7+. One reason I upgraded from the Bio Cell to the F7+ was because I thought it was time I get myself a “real” driver, whatever that meant. When it comes to drivers, there are a few factors that I look at. First, as much as most of us hate to admit it, looks are a big factor in buying a club. One reason why I chose the + version over the standard, probably more forgiving F7 with the gloss finish. Secondly, forgiveness and if the science behind it works. Then the price, because I'm no Jordan Belfort, and I like budget friendly. My driver swing speed tends to be around 100-105 with misses and ball flights being all over the place. Remember earlier when I said inconsistency was my biggest weakness?

First Impressions

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

Large and in charge. Those are the words that come to mind when talking about the G400 Max. Ping decided to push the limits to the Max as some would say, by creating a 460cc head with a footprint of nearly 5” x 5”. The G400 line is designed to provide distance through extreme levels of stability and forgiveness. Think of the G400 Max version as the standard head on steroids. Keeping the same design they introduced with the G30, the turbulators make another appearance. That, paired with dragonfly technology and the dimpling “infinity edge” across the back, help create maximum airflow across the head.

driver6.jpg

driver2.jpg

The thin T9S+ forged face flexes more to ramp up ball speed for generating consistently long, straight drives. The face is also textured to increase friction for reducing spin.

driver.jpg

driver1.jpg

Ping has always made gorgeous clubs, but this one takes that to the next level. The matte black paired with copper highlights is the absolute perfect combo. When it comes to driver, I think we can all use a little help. Hitting fairways is crucial for going low and I cannot wait to get this thing out on the course and put it through the wringer. I plan on hitting the course this week, and the driving range this weekend to put it face to face versus my F7+. Here's to hoping the Max can provide the much needed forgiveness my driving game needs.

driver4.jpg

driver3.jpg

driver5.jpg

shaft.jpg

grip.jpg

Great start! Our games are pretty similar, except your about a foot taller, and a bit more clubhead spread.. lol. Some days parts of the game work, some days, it better to hit the 19th hole for a beer instead 😁

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Nice intros gents.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Any questions or requests from anyone as we enter the second leg of this review?

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

MAX testers, do you feel a noticeable difference in head weight? I feel like that's one of the main reasons that I like this driver and I'm having success with it. I like to be able to feel the head, even if it means a couple of lost MPHs. I don't want to thread jack the review with my own review, but I'm curious if anyone else feels the same.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

MAX testers, do you feel a noticeable difference in head weight? I feel like that's one of the main reasons that I like this driver and I'm having success with it. I like to be able to feel the head, even if it means a couple of lost MPHs. I don't want to thread jack the review with my own review, but I'm curious if anyone else feels the same.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

When I hit it at the demo day I noticed this as well.  Not "heavy" but there was a noticeable difference between this Ping driver and the other ones I hit earlier - TM, Srixon, Cobra, Titleist, Mizuno

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Any questions or requests from anyone as we enter the second leg of this review?

I'd like to know if it is better.

I know it will be different, but is it demonstrably better.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

I'd like to know if it is better.

I know it will be different, but is it demonstrably better.

Better than the club it's being up against? In my case, it's evident. I'm hitting more fairways than ever have before, and I've only been out a couple of times. This weekend will be the ultimate test.

Better than the club it's being up against? In my case, it's evident. I'm hitting more fairways than ever have before, and I've only been out a couple of times. This weekend will be the ultimate test.

Yes...especially since you and I both have the same driver.  That F7+ is only a year old and with that being said is it better; and by being "better", to paraphrase Adam Beach, the only reason to buy something - anything - golf related is if it helps you play better and lowers your score.  That's it..plain and simple.  Not because of the name, the color, the "cool" features, blah.blah.blah... does it help you shoot lower scores than what you have?

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

So far, the G400 Max has been "better" for me than my Epic ever was. In terms of distance, I've lost a little bit, but it's only a couple yards at most. It's better because it's straighter for me. If you're going from a recent driver to the Max, you probably won't gain distance, but I'm willing to bet you'd have a hard time hitting it far offline. My testing is very limited to a demo day fitting, 1 driving range session, and 1 round of 18, but in each one I just felt like I was going to be in the short stuff barring anything crazy with my swing.

Yes...especially since you and I both have the same driver. That F7+ is only a year old and with that being said is it better; and by being "better", to paraphrase Adam Beach, the only reason to buy something - anything - golf related is if it helps you play better and lowers your score. That's it..plain and simple. Not because of the name, the color, the "cool" features, blah.blah.blah... does it help you shoot lower scores than what you have?

As for me, it's better. Now, that may not be the case for everyone, maybe even not for you. I'm not sure how well you stroke the F7+, but for me I was very hit and miss. Good days and bad. Now, I still have bad hits with the Max, but that's just golf... at least in my case.

I will be carrying both drivers this weekend and hitting two balls off the tee, one with each. We'll see what happens! Maybe my swing improved, maybe the Max really is that good. We'll find out.

As for me, it's better. Now, that may not be the case for everyone, maybe even not for you. I'm not sure how well you stroke the F7+, but for me I was very hit and miss. Good days and bad. Now, I still have bad hits with the Max, but that's just golf... at least in my case.

I will be carrying both drivers this weekend and hitting two balls off the tee, one with each. We'll see what happens! Maybe my swing improved, maybe the Max really is that good. We'll find out.

I've had pretty good success with the F7+... I was fit for it, so that helps.  I'm also not 6 foot 6 inches tall..(although I wish I was...I play a lot of basketball)

Have fun...look forward to the results.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

That's one takeaway that I remember from hitting the G400 LST on the LM at PGATSS (lots of abbreviations here). This thing just seems unfairly straight with no distance loss. Ping and their voodoo magic!

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

My G400 has been a great pick up. It was great with the Ping Tour 65 shaft in it and has gotten even better with the ATTAS Punch. I have never had a straighter driver in my life. Not sure how Ping have done it but this thing is a winner. All but your very worst swings end up ok.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

My G400 has been a great pick up. It was great with the Ping Tour 65 shaft in it and has gotten even better with the ATTAS Punch. I have never had a straighter driver in my life. Not sure how Ping have done it but this thing is a winner. All but your very worst swings end up ok.

Sounds like a keeper. Distance from a driver is great, but straight and on line is far better.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I know it's off topic and don't want to go too far afield here but I'm having the same impact with the G30 irons that I picked up a month ago. They are only good if you like forgiving, long, high and straight!

Does anyone have any other specific questions for us on driver?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

From some pics it looks abnormally tall from top to bottom...is that just an illusion?

I know it's off topic and don't want to go too far afield here but I'm having the same impact with the G30's that I picked up a month ago. They are only good if you like forgiving, long, high and straight!

Does anyone have any other specific questions for us on driver?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

@strokerAce

I would thinking an illusion. Remember that other than the Max the other three are 445 cc's. To me mine looks like it's lean and mean, as if it shed the winter 10 lbs., if that makes sense.

I recall Frank Thomas commenting once that he thought 440 cc's was the ideal driver head size and that we would gradually see drivers drift back to that as the norm. Ping may be setting that trend. As is often the case. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Thanks @revkev... About the shaft... Does it really change color from black to copper based on how you hold the club?

@strokerAce

I would thinking an illusion. Remember that other than the Max the other three are 445 cc's. To me mine looks like it's lean and mean, as if it shed the winter 10 lbs., if that makes sense.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Same here with my Max. It worked great with the stock shaft and when I was fit for the  Fujikura Vista Pro 65 S, it was like WOW!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Yeah, Rev, can I have it when you're done?  :lol:

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Great intros, looking forward to the reviews. Had a quick look at the G400 drivers and fairway today. They certainly look great at address.

Enjoy the process, hope they work for you.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy