Sam1492

New Member - Advice sought

Hi Everyone, 

Just recently joined MyGolfSpy as a member, having read online for a long while! 

Hoping some people can give me some advice/guidance after just realising at the weekend what a waste of a club my current hybrid is... 

I currently play a Cobra F7 3 wood (15.5 degrees) then have an RBZ Stage 2 5 Hybrid which is 25 degrees, then into my irons 4,5,6 etc. So I probably have too big a gap between my wood and hybrid. 

Then, I play mostly links golf, so a high-flying hybrid isn't really much use in the constant wind of North East England and it doesn't fly as far as a well-struck four-iron either. 

Does anyone have any guidance on what hybrid might be the best fit between a 3 wood and a 4 iron? Would there be enough distinction between a 3 wood and a 3 hybrid? 

Cheers, 

Sam

• Like 3

Welcome Sam most of our members will tell you a fitting to find the right gap distance wise and the right shaft for your ball flight is the way to go. It's not easy to suggest such a thing since a shaft can make the same club play totally different.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Welcome to MGS. There are hybrids that go down in loft to the 16* range and can easily fit thengal you need to fill between 3 wood and 4 iron. I have a 3 hybrid that fills my gap. Best to go try a few and see what works best for you.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard and you will get great info here to help you with equipment choices!

• Like 1

Yeah, I think maybe a 3 hybrid would probably bridge the gap for me too, just been stuck with the 5 for so long think I've been kind of overlooking it! 

Welcome to MGS. There are hybrids that go down in loft to the 16* range and can easily fit thengal you need to fill between 3 wood and 4 iron. I have a 3 hybrid that fills my gap. Best to go try a few and see what works best for you.

• Like 1

Yeah, maybe I just need to go and find out my numbers to make the decision! Cheers

Welcome Sam most of our members will tell you a fitting to find the right gap distance wise and the right shaft for your ball flight is the way to go. It's not easy to suggest such a thing since a shaft can make the same club play totally different.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Welcome to MGS! tommc23 is 100% correct that a fitting will do you best. For me personally and how I like to use a hybrid, I have an 18* Titleist Hybrid that is turned down to 17.25*. Its maybe a little strong for some people but I'm more comfortable choking up to make some gap yardages work instead of having a shorter hitting hybrid

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, Sam.  Personally I don't get along with hybrids, but the rare event I do hit it well, my 3 hybrid fills the gap between my 3 wood and 4 iron.  With that out of the way, the others in this thread have left you some great advice.  I am going to echo their sentiments and say go get a fitting from a reputable club fitter.  We're glad you have joined us on the forum.  Keep asking questions on the threads, there are a lot of great guys in this community who are willing to help and lend some words of wisdom.

• Like 1

Welcome and kudos for coming straight out with a good question.

Not sure what your irons are but the loft on your 4 iron and your RBZ hybrid sound about the same.  I think a "typical" 4i loft is around 24 degrees, so if that's the case it seems you have 2 clubs with identical lofts, which probably doesn't help in your gapping.

I have the same F7 3 wood and you can adjust the loft on that a bit so that gives you some flexibility there.

If you plan on sticking with your 4i at around 24 degrees I'd suggest trying for something in the 18-21 degree range for a hybrid.  This would hopefully fill that gap between the 3w and the next club.

• Like 1

Welcome! By design, hybrids are made to fly higher and a bit further than say a fairway wood. Switching to irons would be ideal but long irons are harder to hit. Maybe a 5w or 7w that fill in the gapping?

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

Welcome, and the advice you've been given so far is excellent. Not much to add other than not discounting a 5w in place of the hybrid based on the lofts you need. You have a lot of options available to you.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

A 3 hybrid/iron or 5/7 wood would theoretically fill in the distance gap you have. Welcome to MGS, Sam!

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Welcome the group.  As you can see there is a wealth of knowledge here.  Couple that with friendly advice and no negative comments and you will realize you have found golf heaven.

I play an X2 Hot Pro hybrid between my 4 iron and 3 fwy and that gives me plenty of room between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Welcome fellow spy, looks like you got some pretty good advices already

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Welcome to MGS from Metro-Detroit.

And I second what tommc23 said. Get a fitting specifically geared towards gap testing. There are many variables that they can help you consider when choosing how to close that gap.

For me, I went with an Adams Red hybrid between my 3 wood and 4 iron.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1