Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Destin, FL

Looking for recommendations on courses in the Destin, FL area. I'll be down there the 19th-26th for my Brother's wedding but we're looking to get out once or twice.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

I'm an Orlando native, but visited Destin about a decade ago for some golf. Kelly Plantation is a great track, designed by Freddie Couples, definitely worth playing, and Emerald Bay was also good, I check their website and saw they underwent a complete renovation in 2014, so maybe even better now! Enjoy the golf and your time in Destin, its a beautiful spot!

Love me some Kelly Plantation. Fun, resort style course. Tough with the wind, especially on the front nine. 

The Sandestin courses, Raven and Burnt Pine, are good tracks but can be a bit pricey. Same with Regatta Bay. 

What's really fun is playing at The Garden, a lighted Par 3-4 course. Take you a couple crispy tall boys with you and it's a good time under the lights. 

It's a shame a lot of the courses east of Destin went private. Camp Creek and Sharks Tooth were really amazing tracks. 

It seems like the conditions on some of the middle of the road courses fluctuate quite a bit. One year they'll be great and then the next they're goat tracks. Courses like Indian Bayou, Seascape and Blue Water Bay across the toll bridge are hit or miss depending on the season. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Thanks Gents! If anyone else has any other suggestions I'm making a list haha.

It seems like the conditions on some of the middle of the road courses fluctuate quite a bit. One year they'll be great and then the next they're goat tracks. Courses like Indian Bayou, Seascape and Blue Water Bay across the toll bridge are hit or miss depending on the season. 

I have had the same experience.  

• 5 weeks later...

We ended up playing The Links course at Sandestin. This was by far the most inexpensive option for a 7:30am tee time ($55) in the area so I wasn't expecting much. Played for a buddies birthday who doesn't golf much so he didn't want to spend a lot knowing the round would cost him $40 in golf balls lol. The course was really nice. Great views all around. They had just punched the greens so they were a little bumpy but really not bad. Pace of play was 2 hrs per 9 which on a public course in Florida is wonderful!

Just wanted to throw out my $.02.

• 10 months later...

Well - headed back here in a few weeks for a week (May 18-25). Any one have any new or updated suggestions?

I grew up just outside of Destin in Fort Walton Beach.  We used to go there when it was a sleepy fishing village.  To see it as the thriving tourist area as it is today boggles my mind 🙂.  Never had the opportunity to play any of the courses there when I've revisited the area.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug