Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

I wanna know where most HIGH HANDICAPPERS are missing it

OHIOgolf

This thread makes me feel like I'm not alone in the struggle

I'll take that as a compliment for starting this thread.

This evening I went to the range and in between shots I watched golfers put a ball on the mat hit a shot and repeat without any means of practice but only placing yellow ball on mat and hitting yellow ball to no target.

Course management is huge I understand that; which is why I've contemplated the driver in my basement locked away in the wine cellar.

But maintaining good practice round and trips to the range can really improve the game

Titleist 718 ap3 (X-stiff,2 flat)

Cleveland RTX 2.0 wedges

Taylormade Spider Tour Putter RED 35” 1* Flat

Taylormade r1 (x-stiff)

Left Handed

OHIO NORTH

22.4 HC

I always putt 3-4 times. It's not uncommon for me to get on the green with 2 shots on a par 4 and and score a 6. I seem to leave it short when I putt over 5 feet but when I putt downhill, I wind up 5 feet past the hole. I think it's a combination of mental impatience, pressure to be fast, and just finding putting practice so boring. I should only play 8” holes.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

For me it is all around the greens. I am a 21 and the odds of me chipping in and leaving myself a 15 ft putt are better than me leaving a 5 ft putt. The ability to get up and down costs me at least 10 shits a round.

So this year is the first year I've ever considered what is an area of my game I can actually improve with consistent practice. I've begun to focus on the game from 125 yards and in. I'm working to dial in my distance control in this range so that way I'm not taking two shots before putting in this yardage range.

I've also begun to practice putting more than just 5 minutes before the round.

I may not be able to gain more distance, but I can learn how to get up and down. There are so many Tour players that made a living by owning this short game area despite being terrible off the tee.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Great subject and no easy answer. I hit fairways I generally score well but not always. I hit GIR I always score well but could make more putts to score better. I chip and putt well doesnt mean I score well as a lot could have gone on before I got to the green.

I think if Im hitting fairways, my end result will be good a majority of the time.

My hdcp is falling hard. My practice time in order if time slent is wedges and short irons, driver, putting and chipping.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Great subject and no easy answer. I hit fairways I generally score well but not always. I hit GIR I always score well but could make more putts to score better. I chip and putt well doesnt mean I score well as a lot could have gone on before I got to the green.

I think if Im hitting fairways, my end result will be good a majority of the time.

My hdcp is falling hard. My practice time in order if time slent is wedges and short irons, driver, putting and chipping.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

In my experience the answer is everywhere.  Most HH i've known dramatically overestimate their strengths and underestimate their weaknesses.  They think they are a great driver because they got a hold of one that bounced out 260 on the par 5 4th hole ignoring the driver they put into the trees on 7 and into the pond on 9. They sink a 25 foot putt and claim they putted well at the 19th hole while ignoring the fact that they took 40 putts for the round and had a half dozen 3 putts or more.  I'm sure that guy exists, but in nearly 40 years I've never run across a true 8 HDCP putter that had a 40 HDCP iron game, an 8 HDCP driver that was a 35 HDCP putter or any combination of the above. 

One thing all high HH should do and something I did when I was in the high teens and low 20's, was to take a shot by shot analysis of each hole after each round and start grading your shots from 1 to 5 or on some other scale.  If your drive goes where you want it's a 1, If it's OB or unplayable or a bad duff it's a 5.  Same with irons, chips, etc.  Putting is different IMO.  A realistic scale for HH in putting would be that 2 feet and in should be made all the time inside 3-5 feet maybe 50% of the time.  10 footers maybe 10% but with a 2 putt.  20 footers and beyond are almost always a 3 putt.  Figure out which shots actually cost you a stroke and which one saved you a stroke.  Don't just focus on the best and worst as most of us tend to do, but every shot, good, bad or otherwise.  Do that for a few rounds and I think you'll get a better, more honest assessment of your overall game. 

Gratuitous Promotion:  If you check my intro in the G400 Reviews, you'll probably get a sense of my weaknesses. :P   https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/23429-official-forum-member-review-ping-g400-drivers/

I can identify a couple of things immediately.  First, I need to practice more.  This isn't a game that you can get really good at without spending more time than I do practicing.  When I get the chance, I want to go play a course instead of standing on a driving range.  I enjoy the range, but the choice is clear to me.

Second, I tend to embrace the challenge of shooting as opposed to scoring.  The "smart" play may be to take the seven iron to chip from off the green and run it to the hole, but I'll usually choose to hit the 56* or 60* wedge, just to see if I can make the shot.  Driver off the tee on a narrow fairway?  Sure.  Try to carry 240 yards of water instead of laying up?  Absolutely.   Try to hit the green from the trees instead of punching out to the fairway?  Is that even a question?

Someone told me shooting lower scores is fun, too.  I'll have to try it sometime.

Most common statement to the buddy I play with the most:  "You know I've got to try it."  Kinda the golf equivalent of "hold my beer and watch this!"

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Driving inconsistency is almost always part of a high handicappers problem, but the year I went from a 21 index to an 11 in 4-5 months, I did 90 % of my work on 150 yards and in.

I studied my game and I decided that even if my tee shots went in the rough or the woods that I would still get my next shot inside 150 yards (that's assuming there is no penalty involved). With that in mind I decided I needed to work on getting up and down from 150 yards and in on a more consistent basis.

I picked 150 because at the time that was a comfortable 8 iron for me and I should hit the green a high percentage of the time with 8 or less in my hands.

I worked 3-4 nights a week hitting balls into greens....I would go to my home course late evening and play 9 holes but I would play 5-6 balls on each hole once I got inside 150 and I played them all the way out.

What I found as my confidence with my short game grew is that when I hit the errant tee shot into the rough or trees, I quit trying to hit the "hero shot" which almost always compounded my troubles...instead I started to look at how I could get to 100 yard because I knew if I got there the WORSE I was making was a bogey.

And for a 21 capper...bogey golf was an improvement....then suddenly I found myself making par in several of those cases so instead of shooting 90, I am now shooting 86 and then 84.

I also spent a lot of time working on chipping and pitching...I already considered myself to be a pretty good putter, so I didn't focus on that as much.

So, yes....you can improve as a high handicap player by focusing on driving....but the biggest jump will come when you concentrate on your short game.

I wish that there was a "love" button cause I cannot express how much this can help.

If you can hit the green consistently from 150 yards and in and either manage a 2 or 1 putt your score will go down pretty quickly.  

Get really good with 7/8/9/P/wedges and - as TBT has shown - you will become much better.

BUT ... this makes strategy all that more important.  Don't try to hit that 'hero' second shot on a par 5.  Find that comfortable lay-up distance and hit it there, put it on the green and 2 putt.  Say you have 230 to go... you can either hit that 1 in 10 shot that might hold the green or you can hit it 130, have 100 yards in where you know you can hit the green and get home in 2 or 1 putt.

Once you get comfortable with the 150 distance now you're ready to take that next step and work on 190/200 and in.

I guess the other thing I'd say - as others have said - is working on your wedges relentlessly.  Don't waste strokes around the green... so frustrating to be 'there' and then skull a chip over the green... the good thing about wedge shots is that you can practice them in your backyard; you don't need a range/course.

And...if all else fails...get some single length irons...trust me on this one.  :D

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

It's been saidbhere many times before. Something we can all take to the course.

“Play the shot you know you can play, not the one you think you can play”. If you know you can hit the 7 iron and put yourself in a good spot, don't play the 4 iron that you might be able to hit a good shot.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

It's been saidbhere many times before. Something we can all take to the course.

“Play the shot you know you can play, not the one you think you can play”. If you know you can hit the 7 iron and put yourself in a good spot, don't play the 4 iron that you might be able to hit a good shot.

Yup - spot on. This point also ties back to the practice range and building confidence in each club. Don't pull out a club for that hero shot that you don't have confidence in.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I agree on the lessons. However lessons without extensive practice after is a waste of money. I know someone that takes regular lessons and then just goes an plays - and doesn't get better.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Tons of people like this. I often want to ask them why they even took the lesson. Basically wasting their time and the pros

Archived