Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Hey everyone.  I've been creeping around this site and had many discussions with golf buddies about stuff I've read on here.  I figure it's about time I introduce myself and start arguing discussing with you!

I haven't gone through all the intro archives, so I'm not sure how this is usually done, but as I was thinking about it I had a neat little walk down memory lane.

I started out in the burbs of Chicago.  I don't know who I owe the pleasure of the introduction this great game.  There were several men responsible, and I can't picture a single one of them.  I lived right across the street from a middle school, Jr. High and a YMCA that shared many open fields.  These were the grounds where several neighborhood guys would bring the shag bag and beat balls.  And I would hunt for anything left behind.  I had quite the collection of balls that I had sorted by brand and color.

I didn't have anything to beat these balls myself, so I slowly acquired a "set" by picking up clubs in garage sales for a quarter a piece or the "free piles" after none of them sold.  I had a three wood that I had to tape the hosel back together.  No two clubs were the same.  The favorite was my 7 iron.  It must have been a Nancy Lopez with a green grip.  I shed a tear or two when that head flew off the shaft one day.  A friend of my parents delivered a whole grocery bag full of Golf Digests and Golf Magazines.  I read every word of every one of those.  Twice.

In 8th grade my sister and her husband got me a real set.  It was some set of muscle back with a power bar?  They had some really slick leather grips.  And by slick I mean slippery.  But what an improvement those were!  At one point a friend and I regripped them with some lighter fluid and generic grips I got on clearance from the store.  They were some tour velvet knock offs with green paint in the texture.  They went on so crooked and I am sure half the color came off from the lighter fluid.

In high school I bought a set of Wilson Staff progressives.  They never cooperated with me.  So one day I traded with my friend.  In exchange he gave me his dad's old Hogan Edges.  And the love affair began there.  At some point in college I got the Apex Edges on eBay.  R flex shafts were not ok, so sold them to a friend and got some with stiffs.  Somewhere in there I treated myself to a TaylorMade R540.  I saw a Leadbetter book "Fundamentals of Hogan" at the driving range while on a co-op in AZ and I studied that and spent all that money I should have been saving for college tuition on range balls.  I remember the frustration that Leadbetter said I couldn't emulate Hogan's swing, but I stuck with it and pieced together a halfway decent swing. 

Several years down the road, a friend that had recently picked up golf got a TaylorMade Burner and "Walmarted" me.  What?  He replies, "that's when you can put a Walmart between my ball and yours".  That SOB!  It must have been about ten years ago because I couldn't put up with all that smack talk too much longer.  

I got my first "fitting" which consisted of going into some Golf Galaxy type store and hitting several drivers in the bay.  I intended on a Burner of some sort, but there was this square looking thing in a sale bin for $159, which was about half the price of the rest of the clubs I tried.  And the Adams Insight XTD came out victorious (for the wallet as well).

I ended up in Peru for a few years for a job opportunity.  I eventually brought the clubs down.  1 course in a city of 1 million people.  I missed the sand green by a couple of years.  The layout was really neat, but it was a tough course.  One long par three in particular tempted me to spring for a set of Adams IdeaTech A4 forged irons with a 3 and 4 hybrid.  Another friend brought them down when he came to visit.  When we went out to play, he shanked a drive off the hosel of my driver.  As I waggled it before my drive, the head just plopped there.  As I lifted, it was just dangling off the end of the shaft.  There is no golf shop around the corner in Arequipa.  You can get a lot of knock off items in Peru, but golf clubs are not one of them.  I entrusted my weapon of choice to one of the pros there.  I couldn't sleep for the next week.  But the next weekend I went back to the course, and it was back together!  He cut the shaft, drilled out the hosel, resifted it and put an extender in the butt to get it back to length.  And it still works.  It must be at least ten years old now, but I'm still the one Walmarting the other guys, so I haven't been too tempted to replace it.

So Callaway bought Hogan somewhere in there and stole the Apex name.  I vomit a bit in my mouth every time I see a Callaway Apex iron.  And Taylormade gobbled up Adams and snuffed them out.  I guess I have an emotional connection to Hogan for some reason.  I have a "shrine" in my study here with a bunch of old hand drawn ads from Time Magazine for Chesterfield cigarettes and Pabst Blue Ribbon.  With Adams, I felt they were better for me than any of my friends' equipment that I tried out.  No one I played with would have ever considered them, so I just chalk that up to the big guys' advertising money working away.

Last spring I landed the irons and wedges I have in my signature.  I really like them.  The irons were an adjustment, but the wedges performed better than anything I had in the past right away.  I don't see any of them getting replaced any time soon.

I have had a love/hate (mostly hate) relationship with my putters that I will save for some other day.  

I enjoy reading all the 5 ends of the spectrum that are so well represented on here.  Even in the last couple of years that I have creeped on here, I think MGS has come a long way in tweaking the Most Wanted ratings. There have been some good discussions on the blog, and I value the fact that the MGS guys can look back at what they did and openly admit that some things could be better.

My favorite blog article was probably the New vs. Old Big Bertha test.  Less than one yard a year for twenty years?  I had a good laugh at that one.  I love how this site cuts through the crap.  I really enjoy the articles on breakdowns of chipping or putting and putting numbers to it.  Pelz did a great job with that in his bibles.  I remember Tony Covey writing somewhere about the long irons being the scoring clubs.  I will get him to admit it is the wedges some day.  Maybe he doesn't believe that because he plays PXG wedges that don't have a V-sole. :o

Well that was long winded.  Hopefully I can contribute here more than creep in the future.

Cheers.

RomeoPapaZulu

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

Great intro and glad you decided to become a non lurker

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Great intro and glad you decided to become a non lurker

Thanks OG. But I think lurker sounds even creepier than creeper.

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

Welcome to MGS! Nice intro. 

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

Welcome to My Golf Spy, Romeo. This is the place where you can Learn, Laugh & Live Golf........btw, your intro was one of the best I have read in many years.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Hello and welcome from hey it's finally Spring here NY!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Thanks OG. But I think lurker sounds even creepier than creeper.

lol yea I think you might be right  :D

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Welcome to the forum, PapaZulu. That was an extremely interesting intro you scribed. I look forward to more.

WITB:

Driver - Callaway BB Alpha 9* Kuro Kage 50g. Reg. Shaft - 45"

3 Wood - Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep Pro 14.5* Project X 5.5

5 Wood - Callaway XR 19* Project X 5.5

3 - 5 Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Hybrids 18*, 22*, & 25* w/ AeroTech i80 SteelFiber Reg. Shaft

6 - PW - Callaway Apex w/ AeroTech i80 SteelFiber Reg. Shaft - Standard length & lofts 

GW, SW & LW - Hogan TK - 49*, 54* & 58* - KBS fst - Wedge flex

Putter - Ping - Mid Ketsch Heavy - 33"

welcome to MGS!

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Welcome to MGS! Great intro!

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Welcome! Great introduction.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Awesome intro. Welcome from another Hogan devotee.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Welcome from Southern Maryland! Loved the intro!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

Driver:     - Anser - 8.5* - Fujikara Red Blur 005 XStiff - Standard L/L

3W:     - SQ Sumo - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Stiff - Standard L/L

Hybrid 3:     - Machspeed - UST Mamiya AXIVCore XStiff -Standard L/L

Irons:      - Idea Black CB3  4-GW - KBS Tour Stiff+ - Standard L/L

Wedges:    - Vokey 52*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Wedge - Standard L/L

Putter:     - Versa Blade - 35in

Ball:      NXT Tour

Bag:  - Ultra Light Cart Bag  

Loc: USA/MD

Handicap: 13

Welcome to MGS from Metro-Detroit. Well done with your intro!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Greetings from Idaho! Great intro and I look forward to hearing from you out here-Cheers!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Welcome to the site

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Welcome fellow spy

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Welcome to MGS from Seattle!

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

Great intro and welcome from Ohio!

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Welcome to the Forum! Great introduction and a great way to get to know the Forum and the Forum to learn about you!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Archived