Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Sneak-Peek! - Inside Wilson Golf's R&D Center

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

35,000 Top-Secret Test Facility at Wilson Golf

Today we thought we would give you an inside look at another top-secret closed doors testing facility...today we bring you the Wilson Golf's R&D Center. A couple weeks we gave you a behind the scenes look at the amazing Nike Golf "The Oven" testing facility...and you guys asked for more of the same...so here you go.

The Wilson Golf R&D center is a massive 35,000 sq ft. lab where some of the most advanced technology is used to put all their new and upcoming ideas to the test. Their secret test labs even have covert names similar to "The Oven" over at Nike...like..."The Clean Lab" and "Chips & Dust Area". This facility is where all the new ideas are coming out of Wilson, like the new iron we showed you last week...the Wilson FG Forged.

Michael Jordan's Personal Club Specs!

Wilson Golf was THE POWERHOUSE back in the day...it was actually not that long ago that they not only dominated the tour players bags but also the Hollywoods Stars bags as well. In these videos you will get to see their charts on golfers the likes of Gene Sarazen, Payne Stewart, Sam Snead, Hale Irwin, Clint Eastwood, Slyvester Stallone and yes even Michael Jordan's club specs.

Look inside the Wilson Innovation Center

Wilson Golf Headquarters of Wilson Golf...Chicago, IL.

Related Articles:

- Inside “The Oven� At Nike : Behind the Scenes Look at Nike Golf's R&D Facility

- Wilson FG Forged Prototype Irons Re-Surface!

#TruthDigest

The facility looks great, unfortunetly i don't own any wilson golf equipment; to be honest i didn't know they were big in golf equipment. I'll have to look for more Wilson items now:)

Wilson is still a little behind your major OEM's, but they do make some quality products. I really love their irons and their golf balls are extremely solid.

WOW gotta love this beautiful facility. I would love to have something like this in my back yard.... Maybe i can get a Visitors Pass and I can try the same prototype irons that Padraig is playing. I'm sure they have a few sets hidden away for their #1 Staffer! I love seeing how a product goes from paper to prototype to actual product. Excellent. thanks for sharing,

Tim :(

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• SPY VIP

Can I take the robot with me on the course? Serious game improvement there. I like the Wilson balls and the old 8802, but I have not hit anything recently from them. Just not much in the shop to demo.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

They are definitely making an effort to change that. Have to wait and see what happens.

Can I take the robot with me on the course? Serious game improvement there. I like the Wilson balls and the old 8802, but I have not hit anything recently from them. Just not much in the shop to demo.

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

They are definitely making an effort to change that. Have to wait and see what happens.

I would have hit the Fybrids last season if I could have found them. This is good to hear.

Volvo Intorqueo

Wilson used to be one of THE top OEM's. They '59 Dynapowers and '71 ButtonBacks are a couple of my favorite blades of all time. Plus, the 8802 putter is one of the most famous putters of all time. I think they are gaining momentum and glad to see it.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

We might have to go check these guys out since they are in our own back yard.

I was thinking (rare for me)... how cool would it be if they made a modern (with retro elements) version of the 8802 putter? I think that would be a great opportunity for them.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Pi7 irons last year. Not sure of this year though.

The link Colt included in the original post indicated Harrington was playing the Wilson FG Forged last year. ;)

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

That's pretty cool.

I really wish some of these old historical club companies would come back in a big way -- like Wilson and McGregor. I just don't think they're really dedicated the high end clubs now. Seems like they'd rather go the discount store, mass market way.

I do love that Wilson has gone back to that crest with the W/S logo. That's retro cool, IMO.

That's pretty cool.

I really wish some of these old historical club companies would come back in a big way -- like Wilson and McGregor. I just don't think they're really dedicated the high end clubs now. Seems like they'd rather go the discount store, mass market way.

I do love that Wilson has gone back to that crest with the W/S logo. That's retro cool, IMO.

What, you don't dig that MacGregor has become Golfsmith's house brand? LOL.

+1 on the W/S Shield Logo. You can tell that they are really trying to connect to their roots while moving forward with innovative designs. And Harrington is one of my favorite players so that's just a bonus.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

looks like a lot of investments in golf that have gotten them nowhere. Stick to volleyballs!

Wilson is not the major player on tour right now, but they do have a strong history in the game. Can they get back there? We will see, but Paddy may show that the Wilson Staff brand has more left in the bag.

They'll take volleyballs as a fallback and thing to talk to when lonely. :)

Volvo Intorqueo

looks like a lot of investments in golf that have gotten them nowhere. Stick to volleyballs!

Wilson is doing better right now than they have in years. Finally starting to make quality stuff.

Archived