Sign in to follow this  
Topline

launch monitor question

Our Sponsors

I have never used a launch monitor. Of course I've heard the name Trackman and assume that is a launch monitor.

Regardless, my question is about the electronic measuring devices (whether it's called a launch monitor, Trackman, or something else).

On the club reviews found at YouTube, golf discussion forums etc...the numbers given for carry distance and total yardage often seem to me to be of incredibly long yardages. For example, driver shots carrying 300 yards, hybrids more than 240, 6-irons carrying 200 plus yards etc....

In my home area of Northern California I am fortunate enough to attend Tour events at Harding Park GC  (Amex World Championsip, President's Cup) Olympic Club (US Open), Pebble Beach and Spyglass Hill (annual AT&T event as well as US Open). I've also travelled to So Cal to be in the gallery for the annual San Diego tournament at Torrey Pines and

Los Angeles event at Riviera CC.

So, I've seen up close shots at Tour events and the yardages the Tour players carry their shots are less distance than the internet posted Trackman club review videos. Does this mean the launch monitors are faulty and, or, geared to 

produce yardages different from actual on course yardages ? Do players who use launch monitors "build in" a plus 10% or plus 20% factor from the launch monitor, and then revise accordingly when playing a golf course ?

• Like 4

Driver Mizuno JPX-EZ GD Tour AD-DI

Fairways Mizuno JPX-EZ 3 and 5 metals GD Tour AD-DJ

Iron set Mizuno MP 63 3-PW DG S300

Wedges Mizuno MP-T5 52* and 58* DG wedge shaft

Putter Byron Morgan DH89

What good would a launch monitor be if it gave you incorrect numbers? I honestly can't tell if you're trolling...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 60.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Not trolling.

I don't know if the technology is accurate enough to reasonably simulate actual on course shot distances.

If you have used a launch monitor, are the numbers you read the same as your on course numbers ?

There are plenty players on tour with a 300+ carry distance. Trackman uses camera plus Doppler to run an algorithm. Foresight uses cameras. They are pretty accurate.

There are a lot of shorter hitters on tour that don't reach 300 with roll. Also tour guys arent swinging 100% on every swing where guys in Youtube don't have to worry about playing the ball after they hit and can go all out.

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I don't think they are accurate all the time. I know my distances with my irons and sometimes I hit my 7i 195 on the simulators. So I agree sometimes it reads a false number. But for the most part they are close.

• Like 2

Having sat with several OEM reps this spring while they do fittings with both Trackman and Foresight GCQuad, I can tell you, you are not seeing Internet numbers.  LM's don't lie (unless you program them too... ;) )

There are so many athletically talented guys and gals, playing golf these days, it's not unusual for many of them to carry a driver 290 and have a total of 320.  I've seen it multiple times during each session.  They are producing swing speeds from 113 to 121, ball speeds in the 170's and 180's.   So they can hit it out there with the Pro's.  But put them on a course and their iron game, short game and putting, is where you see why they are anywhere from 2 to 12 handicap, and not playing for money on Sundays. 

I have a friend who has been a teacher for over 30 years, he refuses to use a LM, saying he can tell with his eyes what a ball is doing.   And to a certain extent, I know that's true.  But in my mind any teacher/fitter not using a trackman or GC Quad is doing his students and himself a disservice.   I know many of the old line instructors will tell me I'm full of of bull hockey.   But times change, and either you change with them, or you get left behind   And that goes for just about every industry these days, not just golf.      

End of LM Sermon  :D

• Like 7

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Not trolling.

I don't know if the technology is accurate enough to reasonably simulate actual on course shot distances.

If you have used a launch monitor, are the numbers you read the same as your on course numbers ?

The technology is pretty accurate but there are ways for a guy to rig it. You could for example set it to simulate a 25 mph tail wind or firm course conditions to jack your yardages. Like you I see the pros play enough and I will sometimes stand by the shot love no guys. Additionally I'm the member of a club that is a winter home for a number of Canadian tour guys and home course for a couple of LPGA players.

So it's possible that a given handicap player might be as long as a touring pro but highly unlikely. So like you I don't buy all of the numbers that I see on golf forums even this one.

Honestly it doesn't matter. I'm not going to be concerned about a review from a guy who's swinging over 100 mph whether his swing speed is the 115 he's claiming or not. I just don't let it bother me.

I do okay with my swing speed in the high 80's. I'm just trying to get it back there again.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

TrackMan is going to be super accurate. Within half a yard. YouTube guys have an infinitely wide fairway and don't have to worry about missing the fairway. On Tour, guys might be swinging 80%. On YouTube, it might be more like 101%. Obviously it depends on the LM. If you're talking about something like Optishot, you could hit a 9i 300 yards on one of those. There's a reason Tour pros use TrackMan. It's the best of the best.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

They are all launch monitors by different manufacturers: trackman foresight, skytrack, etc. each one uses different ways to calculate distances. Some use radar and some use cameras. Radar units like trackman are better outdoors because they look more at ball flight.

Do people on the internet tweak theirs to boost numbers? Who knows. There are lots of settings such as ground firmness, humidity/temperature, and elevation that all impact distance.

I would say it isn't good to just hit clubs to compare to your gamers. You need to hit everything side by side to see how they compare on the particular setup where you are testing.

Are they accurate? I would say that properly setup they are very accurate. On the GC Quads that MGS uses as part of the most wanted testing the distance with my clubs are almost spot on.

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have a friend who has been a teacher for over 30 years, he refuses to use a LM, saying he can tell with his eyes what a ball is doing. And to a certain extent, I know that's true. But in my mind any teacher/fitter not using a trackman or GC Quad is doing his students and himself a disservice. I know many of the old line instructors will tell me I'm full of of bull hockey. But times change, and either you change with them, or you get left behind And that goes for just about every industry these days, not just golf.

I agree LM are great tools for teachers but I would be wary of the teacher that relies on the launch monitor too much. The question from an instruction perspective is do you look for numbers that are optimum for the players swing or do you change the swing to find optimum numbers? Launch monitors provide data, but don't show the picture of how you achieved that data.

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My perspective on distance may be (at least partially) due to observations I've made within my home area. For example, a tHarding Park or Olympic Club , two San Francisco courses, it's not uncommon for a Tour player who usually swings a 9-iron from 160 yards to play a 7-iron. SF's sea level altitude, relatively heavy sometimes foggy air etc....may not be a good representation for "average carry distances".

It's not uncommon for a Tour player in the warm tropical air of the Hawaiian islands to play wedge from 150 yards and then a few weeks later play 8 iron from 150 on a damp morning at Pebble Beach.

I imagine that the electronic measuring devices used with simulators do have settings for altitude, air density, air temperature etc..., but the internet video equipment reviewers usually do not reveal how they have set up their measuring devices.

Also remember that when a tour player is competing, they are playing golf shots with a specific purpose and not necessarily chasing and optimal launch and maximum distance.

• Like 4

I agree LM are great tools for teachers but I would be wary of the teacher that relies on the launch monitor too much. The question from an instruction perspective is do you look for numbers that are optimum for the players swing or do you change the swing to find optimum numbers? Launch monitors provide data, but don't show the picture of how you achieved that data.

I totally get that, but during a recent lesson I had he used both very effectively, he could show me on the LM how (confirmed by video) how much my swing was coming from out to in.   And was able to show a later swing on in to out path even at a more controlled swing got more distance as it hit the ball more solidly.  Something that to me may not have been visible to my naked eye...at least. 

• Like 1

I totally get that, but during a recent lesson I had he used both very effectively, he could show me on the LM how (confirmed by video) how much my swing was coming from out to in. And was able to show a later swing on in to out path even at a more controlled swing got more distance as it hit the ball more solidly. Something that to me may not have been visible to my naked eye...at least.

I think having LM numbers to show how a swing change has been effective is great. I also think that the growing prevalence of the LM has led some people to chase numbers to their detriment.

• Like 2

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

I think having LM numbers to show how a swing change has been effective is great. I also think that the growing prevalence of the LM has led some people to chase numbers to their detriment.

Agreed, I'm chasing that ever elusive 240 yard drive  :D

• Like 6

Also remember that when a tour player is competing, they are playing golf shots with a specific purpose and not necessarily chasing and optimal launch and maximum distance.

This is one thing most people don't realize/understand. Tour players rarely swing irons 100%. They are focused on spin, flight and shot shape so knockdowns etc May be the better option than going 100% and not being able to control spin

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The technology is pretty accurate but there are ways for a guy to rig it. You could for example set it to simulate a 25 mph tail wind or firm course conditions to jack your yardages. Like you I see the pros play enough and I will sometimes stand by the shot love no guys. Additionally I'm the member of a club that is a winter home for a number of Canadian tour guys and home course for a couple of LPGA players.

So it's possible that a given handicap player might be as long as a touring pro but highly unlikely. So like you I don't buy all of the numbers that I see on golf forums even this one.

Honestly it doesn't matter. I'm not going to be concerned about a review from a guy who's swinging over 100 mph whether his swing speed is the 115 he's claiming or not. I just don't let it bother me.

I do okay with my swing speed in the high 80's. I'm just trying to get it back there again.

During today's proam I was working the trackman for the groups as they came thru.

Curious. The machine can be programmed to give a lot of roll?

Can the carry yardage be tweaked or is it pretty accurate?

Reason I ask is a few guys would hit balls and almost stop in the fairway on impact but the machine would add extra yards.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

During today's proam I was working the trackman for the groups as they came thru.

Curious. The machine can be programmed to give a lot of roll?

Can the carry yardage be tweaked or is it pretty accurate?

Reason I ask is a few guys would hit balls and almost stop in the fairway on impact but the machine would add extra yards.

Tazz

Carry can be adjusted by adjusting altitude and temperature in the settings

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD BB 6X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
Putter ?????
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

So say I was at a big box store, and I was hitting all the big brands, but one brand really went a lot farther than the rest, it just happened to be a big brand name. I'm saying like 15 yards further. Cranked up for sales? I know my 7 iron goes 170+ but the one brands clubs (same loft) was a rocket ship, oh and so was there drivers?

Paid off to make the launch monitor give a “boost”??

• Like 1

So say I was at a big box store, and I was hitting all the big brands, but one brand really went a lot farther than the rest, it just happened to be a big brand name. I'm saying like 15 yards further. Cranked up for sales? I know my 7 iron goes 170+ but the one brands clubs (same loft) was a rocket ship, oh and so was there drivers?

Paid off to make the launch monitor give a “boost”??

Unless the guy washing adjusting it in between shots then not likely. If it was one of those overhead launch monitors those things are notoriously bad about picking up consistent readings

Putter ?????

SuperSpeed Forum Tester

Unless the guy washing adjusting it in between shots then not likely. If it was one of those overhead launch monitors those things are notoriously bad about picking up consistent readings

It was a trackman. I actually took the club from brand a's booth, to a different one to hit the two side by side. I didn't get the booster carry on brand b's booth. Both blades. So no technology

It was a trackman. I actually took the club from brand a's booth, to a different one to hit the two side by side. I didn't get the booster carry on brand b's booth. Both blades. So no technology

What big box store has trackman? And multiple units segregated by brand?

Putter ?????

SuperSpeed Forum Tester