TESTERS WANTED! ×

Initial thoughts Wilson staff Duo Soft Spin (SSP)

Chadlius88

Like your typical beginner golfer, I selected my first balls based on the fact that I was likely to lose a lot of them. So for my first round I grabbed 2 boxes of Nitro distance balls at Wally World for 5 bucks per dozen. Yup, lost most of ‘em. But at least I realized pretty quickly that balls sure do make a difference. So I tested several balls as I went along, as my game improved, so did my ball selection until I finally ended up choosing the Srixon Z Star, which is my current gamer, and has been since the middle of last year.

Enter the new Wilson Staff Duo Soft Spin (SSP), promising extra spin around the green and a super soft feel. As a die hard Wilson Staff fan (see my signature for the proof) I just had to give these balls a shot. They are a 3 piece ball with an Ionomer cover.

My initial thoughts are all positive, I think Wilson Staff has created a fantastic ball at a great price point. However, they definitely aren't for everyone, and here's why:

That super soft feel part, holy moly. The balls are only 40 compression, so when you hit ‘em good, you definitely get a rubbery feedback, so if you don't like that sort of a feel, you'll hate these balls. I just so happen to like it; and around the greens it actually provides me with great feedback and improves my touch, but we'll get to that in a sec.

Off the tee on hole 1 at the oaks in Somersworth NH, I hit a 253 yard bomb with my 3 wood. The ball went dead straight over the bunkers that cross the fairway, the ball went high enough that my friends and I lost it in the sky and never saw it down. But as I pulled up I saw that my ball had almost rolled through the fairway but stopped about a foot short, leaving me a lob wedge into the par 4 for my second. Don't get too excited, I ended up 3 putting for a bogie. But this leads me well into the next part.

On approach shots, I had no trouble getting the ball to stop quickly on a course that in notorious for ridiculously fast greens. On hole 11, a par 5 I had another lob wedge into a green with the pin at the front of the green. I caught the fringe and the ball checked up less than a foot from the pin for a tap in birdie.

The ball provided plenty of spin around the green. I had multiple chips that I felt I hit way too hard but the ball checked up quick enough to keep me 10 feet or less from the pin. And the feel was fantastic, I could really tell if I had hit the ball with the right touch.

Off the putter was great as well. I did some of my best putting ever during my first round with this ball. 35 putts, when I average in the 40s on a normal day. The ball felt soft but borderline solid off the putter face with a nice quiet sound, no clicking from this ball.

This ball will definitely be staying in my bag for a while for further testing. But so far I am a huge fan. Plus, now I can say I play all Wilson everythang. Check back for updates.

DAB70F22-4C79-44CC-BD8C-1B8AF0B383ED.jpeg

E78CC0FB-80D6-4F17-961D-19C70299963C.jpeg

1D6E23C7-7983-4020-85AC-84FA39077EC0.jpeg

2454CCCA-D911-4D2B-8C17-3A416028168D.jpeg

<p>WITB: All Wilson EverythingDriver:  :wilson_staff_small:  FG tour F5 9*3 wood:  :wilson_staff_small: FG tour F5 13.5*</p><p>Hybrids:  :wilson_staff_small: FG tour F5 17* and 23*5-GW:  :wilson_staff_small: C100 with KBS Tour V 100g shafts Wedges:  :wilson_staff_small: FG tour PMP frosted 54* and 58*Putter:  :wilson_staff_small: Lincoln ParkBall:   :wilson_staff_small: Duo SSP(testing) and :srixon-small:  Z-star

Good review. I'm liking the new Duo Optix

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Excellent write up. The Duo is one of my favorite balls (I have some of the Duo Soft prototypes thanks to Twitter) however since DSG stopped carrying them, they're difficult to find locally unfortunately. I hope that changes soon.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Like your typical beginner golfer, I selected my first balls based on the fact that I was likely to lose a lot of them. So for my first round I grabbed 2 boxes of Nitro distance balls at Wally World for 5 bucks per dozen. Yup, lost most of ‘em. But at least I realized pretty quickly that balls sure do make a difference. So I tested several balls as I went along, as my game improved, so did my ball selection until I finally ended up choosing the Srixon Z Star, which is my current gamer, and has been since the middle of last year.

Enter the new Wilson Staff Duo Soft Spin (SSP), promising extra spin around the green and a super soft feel. As a die hard Wilson Staff fan (see my signature for the proof) I just had to give these balls a shot. They are a 3 piece ball with an Ionomer cover.

My initial thoughts are all positive, I think Wilson Staff has created a fantastic ball at a great price point. However, they definitely aren't for everyone, and here's why:

That super soft feel part, holy moly. The balls are only 40 compression, so when you hit ‘em good, you definitely get a rubbery feedback, so if you don't like that sort of a feel, you'll hate these balls. I just so happen to like it; and around the greens it actually provides me with great feedback and improves my touch, but we'll get to that in a sec.

Off the tee on hole 1 at the oaks in Somersworth NH, I hit a 253 yard bomb with my 3 wood. The ball went dead straight over the bunkers that cross the fairway, the ball went high enough that my friends and I lost it in the sky and never saw it down. But as I pulled up I saw that my ball had almost rolled through the fairway but stopped about a foot short, leaving me a lob wedge into the par 4 for my second. Don't get too excited, I ended up 3 putting for a bogie. But this leads me well into the next part.

On approach shots, I had no trouble getting the ball to stop quickly on a course that in notorious for ridiculously fast greens. On hole 11, a par 5 I had another lob wedge into a green with the pin at the front of the green. I caught the fringe and the ball checked up less than a foot from the pin for a tap in birdie.

The ball provided plenty of spin around the green. I had multiple chips that I felt I hit way too hard but the ball checked up quick enough to keep me 10 feet or less from the pin. And the feel was fantastic, I could really tell if I had hit the ball with the right touch.

Off the putter was great as well. I did some of my best putting ever during my first round with this ball. 35 putts, when I average in the 40s on a normal day. The ball felt soft but borderline solid off the putter face with a nice quiet sound, no clicking from this ball.

This ball will definitely be staying in my bag for a while for further testing. But so far I am a huge fan. Plus, now I can say I play all Wilson everythang. Check back for updates.

Nice Review! I will have to give them a try. 

Callaway Rouge SZ 9 Driver

Rogue 3 wood - Aldila Synergy 

Rogue SZ 5 wood- Project X Even Flow Blue

Sub 70 699 U 22*

Taylor Made M4 5-AW - KBS Max 

Ping Glide 4.0 Wedges 54* and 58*

Sub 70 005 Wide Blade putter

Good review. I'm liking the new Duo Optix

They sure look cool.

<p>WITB: All Wilson EverythingDriver:  :wilson_staff_small:  FG tour F5 9*3 wood:  :wilson_staff_small: FG tour F5 13.5*</p><p>Hybrids:  :wilson_staff_small: FG tour F5 17* and 23*5-GW:  :wilson_staff_small: C100 with KBS Tour V 100g shafts Wedges:  :wilson_staff_small: FG tour PMP frosted 54* and 58*Putter:  :wilson_staff_small: Lincoln ParkBall:   :wilson_staff_small: Duo SSP(testing) and :srixon-small:  Z-star

Nice Review! I will have to give them a try.

Thanks! Definitely worth a try.

Excellent write up. The Duo is one of my favorite balls (I have some of the Duo Soft prototypes thanks to Twitter) however since DSG stopped carrying them, they're difficult to find locally unfortunately. I hope that changes soon.

I tried out the duo as well. A very good ball for the price.

I've been playing the Duo Soft for 3 rounds and shot under my handicap in each. Launches high and lands soft for me and best of all I score better with it.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Great review. I agree with everything you said. I just tried them last week. Great ball.

Driver: Cobra F8 Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 50 Stiff
3 Wood: Callaway Epic 15* Project X Hzrdus T800 65
5 Wood: Callaway Epic 19* Project X Hzrdus T800 65
Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged True Temper XP 105 shafts
Wedges: Mizuno T7 54* and 58*
Putter: Ping Cadence TR Anser 2 Heavy
Ball: Srixon Q-Star Tour

I'm really digging this ball. Friday I played the back 9 at Nippo Lake in Barrington NH. First hole of the day was a hard dogleg left 437 yard short par 5 with a crazy downhill Tee shot. I went 2 hybrid 2 hybrid and hit the green in 2. The ball stopped less than 1 1/2 feet from the pitch mark and left me with a great look at Eagle. Unfortunately I lipped out the putt on the right for a tap in birdie. See pics below.

94694287-048A-4686-9F5A-2D4F22BED878.png

916070B0-27DC-4684-85EA-3F92EA242D03.jpeg

I play the Duo Soft Optix frequently, and have really liked them. I think it's a great ball for the price.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Great write up, keep us posted on how it goes with this ball.

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

• 2 weeks later...

Nice wright up, I have been looking at these to try.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Nice review. I haven't got to try the new Soft Spin. But I'm a huge fan of the Duo and Duo Spin. If the Soft Spin are anything like those, then I should have them in my bag soon.

I've played duo soft, duo, and duo soft spin now, and the soft spin is a slightly firmer feel than the duo soft and duo, but checks up much better. They don't check up as well as the z stars which are my usual gamer, but I prefer the feel of the SSP.

Archived