Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Wedges! wedges! we don't need no steenkin' wedges.....

ok a thread title not everyone will get but its to attract some advice.

For years I played 48* PW then a 56* SW

recently changed to PW then 50* MD Forged and 54* MD forged...I open the blade up for bunkers and chips but I'm thinking should I get a 58* (which I've never had) or just stick with opening the face on the 54*?

Anyone with similar experience and pro's or con's for having a high lofted wedge in the bag? I carry 13 clubs so I have the space, is one wedge going to help or hinder?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

ok a thread title not everyone will get but its to attract some advice.

For years I played 48* PW then a 56* SW

recently changed to PW then 50* MD Forged and 54* MD forged...I open the blade up for bunkers and chips but I'm thinking should I get a 58* (which I've never had) or just stick with opening the face on the 54*?

Anyone with similar experience and pro's or con's for having a high lofted wedge in the bag? I carry 13 clubs so I have the space, is one wedge going to help or hinder?

I guess the question is have you noticed a huge difference in your new wedge set-up? Your previous gap between your PW and your SW was 8*, while your average gap between all you clubs was 3.5*. Does now having a 4* gap in wedges allow for more consistent & close shots? If so, maybe you would benefit from another wedge, if not, save the $$$ for two more rounds of golf!

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

What is your hdcp?

How is your short game?

What are you looking to achieve with a lw?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

What is your hdcp?

How is your short game?

What are you looking to achieve with a lw?

h/cap in sig

pretty poor (actually very poor, no confidence or consistency)

good question

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

h/cap in sig

pretty poor (actually very poor, no confidence or consistency)

good question

As a 5.6 you should know why you would need a lob. What shotbare you trying to accomplish that you can't already?

Probably no lob

Probably no lob

Lob wedges are difficult to hit well consistently. I have a 58 and rarely use it instead relying on lower lofted clubs to chip and opening my sand wedge if I need a higher ball flight.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

What does your teacher think?

If you don't have one start there. You could take two lessons and hit lots of balls for the price of a wedge.

Generally I would say even your gaps out and either go with a multi-purpose sole on all or get different bounces/grinds in each usually medium for the gap, more bounce for the sand, less bounce for the lob. My lob is essential but I've had times where I played courses that didn't required it.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

As a 5.6 you should know why you would need a lob. What shotbare you trying to accomplish that you can't already?

Probably no lob

Probably no lob

Lob wedges are difficult to hit well consistently. I have a 58 and rarely use it instead relying on lower lofted clubs to chip and opening my sand wedge if I need a higher ball flight.

all good points, I could open up my 56* for lobs but just felt the 54* needing too much opening if you get me so thought a 58* would suffice.

However, you've (and it echo's my initial thoughts) made me realise I need to work more on wedges with what I've got, another piece of metal to carry around for an occasional shot probably isnt worth it yet.

/end of thread lol

What does your teacher think?

If you don't have one start there. You could take two lessons and hit lots of balls for the price of a wedge.

Generally I would say even your gaps out and either go with a multi-purpose sole on all or get different bounces/grinds in each usually medium for the gap, more bounce for the sand, less bounce for the lob. My lob is essential but I've had times where I played courses that didn't required it.

Good luck

I'll ask the teacher next lesson, the bounce/grinds were set on the MD Forged, no options. I'll have the TPI guy sort out my wedge play next lesson as its useless taking 3 or 4 shots every time from 100yds

It's pretty simple actually: Play what works for you.  Just because something works for someone else doesnt mean it will work for you.  Heck, even on the PGA tour you see different wedge setups

PW 50 54 58

PW 50 54 60

PW 52 56 60

PW 52 58

Play what you enjoy the most and what you feel makes your game better

all good points, I could open up my 56* for lobs but just felt the 54* needing too much opening if you get me so thought a 58* would suffice.

However, you've (and it echo's my initial thoughts) made me realise I need to work more on wedges with what I've got, another piece of metal to carry around for an occasional shot probably isnt worth it yet.

/end of thread lol

FWIW I have a 54 and don't have issues if I need to open the face some. I could use the 58, but it usually just adds weight to my bag

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The advantage of the 58 over an open faced 54 is the amount of bounce you are exposing.  If you get a tight lie where the ball needs to be played up in the air a 58 will be easier to get under the ball without the risk of catching the ball thin.  At your handicap it should not be too much of an issue to get used to the additional loft.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

I'd rather rely on the loft of the club than remembering to open a club a certain amount...but I like the idea of keeping the game as simple as possible and have a higher handicap than you so I probably shouldn't be saying anything.  As a matter of fact, forget what I just said...

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I'd rather rely on the loft of the club than remembering to open a club a certain amount...but I like the idea of keeping the game as simple as possible and have a higher handicap than you so I probably shouldn't be saying anything.  As a matter of fact, forget what I just said...

handicap doesnt matter when it comes to opinions, I value all input.

p.s I can play to a 3 (when the moon is blue) or to a 16 (when there's a 'Y' in the day of the week) ;)

IMO, if you regularily play courses with smaller greens or often try to hit flops, you might want to check out a 58°. But you live in Scotland so I'm guessing the greens are usually larger than back in the US. True? If you play links style courses, a lob wedge probably isn't necessary. If you play more parkland style courses, it doesn't hurt to have one.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

IMO, if you regularily play courses with smaller greens or often try to hit flops, you might want to check out a 58°. But you live in Scotland so I'm guessing the greens are usually larger than back in the US. True? If you play links style courses, a lob wedge probably isn't necessary. If you play more parkland style courses, it doesn't hurt to have one.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

This is a very good point. The courses you play and the conditions you play them in matter for equipment selection. I use my 60 frequently because the course that I play regularly requires it. I might have gone a month without touchdowns by anything more lofted than a 54 at my old course.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have gone back and forth. Had a 52 56 60 set up. Never used the 60 so I took it out. Went with a 53 57 set, just bought a 61 I can't stand or need.

At 54° as your highest lofted wedge, I would say you are limiting yourself a bit. Not much, probably won't make a huge difference. If you learn your 54 like a champ, and can open it up without fail... why add a new tool to learn?

The advantage of the 58 over an open faced 54 is the amount of bounce you are exposing.  If you get a tight lie where the ball needs to be played up in the air a 58 will be easier to get under the ball without the risk of catching the ball thin.  At your handicap it should not be too much of an issue to get used to the additional loft.  

Agree!  I was a terrible wedge player a few years ago.  I did mostly bump and runs around the green because I didn't want to chunk or blade the ball.  After much practice I mostly use my 58* around the green.  It's my goto wedge.  Our turf at most of our courses is very firm and I find I can pick the ball better with the higher loft and get more spin.  I can also hit low running shots with it.  I never use it for full shots.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Personally I carry a 46 pw, 50, 54, 58. I use my 58 about 5x more than either other wedge. My opinion is most people don't understand gapping lofts especially in lower irons and wedges. Playing a 48,50,56 won't benefit you nearly as much as a 48,52,58 or 46,50,54,58 or 46, 50, 56 bent to 55, and 60 depending on LW lofts preference and shot desire.

My PW is a 44* , followed by 52*., 56* and 60*. Yes there is a pretty big gap between the 44 and 52. That will be resolved shortly. FYI I love my 60 especially in the green side bunkers and rough.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Personally I carry a 46 pw, 50, 54, 58. I use my 58 about 5x more than either other wedge. My opinion is most people don't understand gapping lofts especially in lower irons and wedges. Playing a 48,50,56 won't benefit you nearly as much as a 48,52,58 or 46,50,54,58 or 46, 50, 56 bent to 55, and 60 depending on LW lofts preference and shot desire.

correct should have 4 degree of separation between clubs -

Bags

correct should have 4 degree of separation between clubs -

Bags

I don't think you can just say 4 degrees,  you also have to look at the distances each wedge goes.  Often when switching from your iron set PW/GW to a specialty wedge the design of the wedge may result in distances that don't match up 

Do you need another wedge?

You're the only one that can answer that question.

I just can't get over the fact you went so many years without a gap wedge of any sort in your bag, like you were stuck in the 1980s.

Personally, I have a few different clubs that rotate in and out of my bag depending on the course I'm playing. And because many of the courses I play have baked grass during the hot summer months, and one in which the sand in the traps is very thin (or all but non-existent), one of the LWs has a very narrow sole and hardly any bounce.

So my point is, it's all about conditions and what conditions you mostly play under - and that's what filling out the bag is about to me, adding that 14th club but with a purpose.

48* PW then 56* SW open and close the face on both, hit them either soft or on both toes at impact lol- wasnt scientific but it worked for me and my style

I like to have 4 wedges including my PW I feel that if I can dial in the full, 3/4 and 1/2 shots it effectively gives 12 different distances to work with and on top of that 12 slightly different trajectories since I feel most of my scoring comes closer to the green I like to have tons of options. Right now PW 46 GW 50 SW 54 LW 58.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

You missed the part about being "stuck in the 1980s."  ;)

yes I know..........;) I do listen to an 80's only radio station everyday so I guess I might be lol

Archived