Caddie Advice

HuskerHacker

Hey everyone, I'm looking for help from anybody who can offer it. I got a job as a caddie this summer so I'm looking for advice and anything that can help me improve. If you've ever had a caddie before what are some of the things they did that you liked and what are some that you hated? If you've caddied before are there any tips of the trade you'd be willing to pass on? Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.

• Like 8

WITB

Bag: Ogio Silencer Cart

Driver: 915D2 10.25 Anmkara Attitude

3/4 Wood: Currently MIA

Hybrid: 910H 21* Diamana 'ahina

Irons: 712 AP1 DGs300

Wedges: SCOR 50, 54, 58 KBS Genius12

Putter: Ping Ketsch w/ flatso 1.0

Ball: Bridgestone B330

Cart: Clicgear 3.5+

What is your experience? First time? I assume this is at a golf course, not a particular player on some tour. Just make sure you are ahead of your player at all times. If you have a laser, use it. Be prepared with a yardage by the time your player gets to the ball. Be sure to carry a towel with you, half dry, half wet. Make sure to be friendly. That's when the tips start rolling in! [emoji6] Don't give advice, unless asked. Also, know where your guy's ball is at all times. That is a big one.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• Like 8

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

First time ever looping. I've played a lot of golf, but grew up in a pretty small part of the world and never had the opportunity to caddie until now.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

WITB

First good luck with the summer job. golfjunkie gave some good advice. My advice it wear shoes that you can walk in all day and not be sore by the end of the day if your feet hurt the day will suck. We have a group of people who have caddied before that I hope will give you more advice

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

We have to use caddies at every course in Thailand, there are great ones and there are ones who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a golf course.

Great ones:

Know where the ball is.

Know which club to recommend after a few holes. Know the wind direction, distance to hazards and politely remind you that you cant carry  

them.

Clean clubs, and the ball, and repair pivots / pitch marks.

Always have a smile, are polite and somehow managed to hide their amusement as we hack our way around.

Can accurately read greens if required. 

• Like 4

Ping G400 MAX 9*, Ping G 3 Wood, TM Aeroburner 4 Hybrid, 4- PW Ping I200, Vokey SM6  50, 54, 58, Cameron & Crown M2 Mallet.

Good advice above- my input based on my own experience is ask your player at the beginning what he wants from you? some players want advice on everything, some want advice when asked, or chat or no chat etc etc you get the idea.

Nothing worse than proferring advice to a player who doesnt want it. Set the standards and his/her expectations at the first tee and it will make it a pleasant experience for both of you. Good luck.

• Like 5

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

What is your experience? First time? I assume this is at a golf course, not a particular player on some tour. Just make sure you are ahead of your player at all times. If you have a laser, use it. Be prepared with a yardage by the time your player gets to the ball. Be sure to carry a towel with you, half dry, half wet. Make sure to be friendly. That's when the tips start rolling in! [emoji6] Don't give advice, unless asked. Also, know where your guy's ball is at all times. That is a big one.

I don't think you could top this advice. Sounds like it came from my pro (other than the laser part) as a kid.

Good luck

• Like 2

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Still on that elusive hunt for a 3 wood that I'm able to hit - I don't know why, I crush the 5 wood and it's really a 4 wood anyway. 

Awareness of the rest of the group is a big thing. Just knowing where to stand, where not to stand, when to be still based on what the rest of the group is doing is a sign of a good looper. They won't even necessarily know that you're doing those things, but they will notice if you're not

• Like 4

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I think you're already on the right track just by starting this thread in the first place. It shows that you care and that's half the battle to being a good caddie. If you care, you'll do many of the things Junkie and others recommended. Only thing I can add is try to learn a few good one liners for quick laughs.

I've heard countless stories of the lessons learned while looping as a kid. Enjoy the experience and take it all in! If you do it long enough, you'll meet some great contacts that'll be happy to help you out down the road.

• Like 3

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Good advice given up above. I play just about every round at my club with a caddy and some are great and some not so much.  My advice would be to find which caddy or caddies the players enjoy and try and get a loop with them.  I am fairly easy to caddy for in that I play fast and don't need yardages or reads on putts so it is pretty much just a fun conversation for 4 hours with my caddy.  Other guys that I play with think they are on tour and want to have the caddy do way too much for them and some are up to it while others are not.  Just keep up, be pleasant and make sure you know where the ball is.  If you are up in the fairway for tee shots giving a player and indication of a good shot over going in a bunker is always helpful.

• Like 3

WITB

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5* GD AD TP 6x

:callaway-small: Epic Speed 15* GD AD HD 7x

:callaway-small: Apex UW 17* Project X RDX Smoke Black 80 6.5

PXG 0317 22* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311 ST 5 -GW KBS Tour 130

PXG Sugar Daddy 54* & 58* TTDG TI S400

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 34"

It's difficult to teach self-awareness but you're clearly on the right track. Seeking advice for the sake of self-improvement is the best way to get to where you want to be.

Speaking from experience, pay attention to how your player is doing that day. Some folks care for talk beyond the initial introductory small talk. A lot of older guys were always interested in asking younger caddies about their golf game and how they were advancing in life. Above all, it's not your responsibility to manage the dialogue or conversation.

• Like 3
  • Titleist TSI3 LAGolf DJ 65 5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Mizuno Pro 223 4-P Nippon Modus 3 115X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • Srixon Z-Star XV Divide

Official 1/12 testers for 2022 L.A.B. Golf Putters

Western, NY

5.8 Index

Just make sure you are ahead of your player at all times. If you have a laser, use it. Be prepared with a yardage by the time your player gets to the ball. Be sure to carry a towel with you, half dry, half wet. Make sure to be friendly. That's when the tips start rolling in! [emoji6] Don't give advice, unless asked. Also, know where your guy's ball is at all times. That is a big one.

Very sound advice. My only other recommendations would be to not get too far ahead. It can be easy to be too overzealous about getting to the ball first and before you know it you've walked in front of the person taking the next shot. It is better to admit you don't know than to pretend and be wrong. I caddied in a club tournament with a guy I had never worked with. He asked me about the break of a putt and I was too afraid to not say anything. I took a stab at it and was wrong (by about three feet in the wrong direction...some things never change). Things got a little quieter after that. I wish I would have told him that I was the last person he should listen to for a green read. That would have made the rest of the round much less awkward.

• Like 2

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

Since you will be looping the same course or courses, learn to read the greens as you go.

Be polite, I think most guys like to to chat a bit. So go ahead and chat with them. sounds like you know what you're doing, just do it.

Give course knowledge advice, things like, the green slopes heavily from left to right, so stay left if possible. Just General course knowledge stuff

• Like 2

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Thanks everyone. All of this has definitely been a big help. I've definitely learned enough to not embarrass myself the first day. Hopefully...

• Like 1

WITB

First and foremost, watch the unedited version of Caddy Shack. Not the version that Golf Channel shows every day, but the real movie on Amazon or any other movie platform.

Take notes from the movie...and apply to your new job! You'll be good as gold!!

• Like 1

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Hey RP, that was terrific advice, you should write a caddie book!...LOL.

When I was 8 yrs old, my Grandfather wrapped my little hands around the rubber grip of his BagBoy pull cart. I caddied for him every week for several years. He always played with the same foursome, so it was easy to remember their names. The one tip that I can garner for your knowledge bank is this: Don't talk unless you are asked a question. Remember that one thing and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft

Fairways:  PXG 0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: Ben Hogan VKTR 3 Hybrid(18*)w/Recoil ES regular shaft

Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 5-PW w/Recoil 660 Regular graphite shafts; soon to be Titleist T300

Wedges: Ben Hogan Tkt-15 (49*/53*/57*) w/Recoil 660 Regular shafts 

Putter: 33”  Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black). 

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

Using Shot Scope V3 and MG4000 Rangefinder

I used to caddie at a club in Portland and being a golfer yourself will help a lot when it comes to eventually providing advice to your players and just getting around the course in general. Don't stress to much about it and you should do great. Make sure to take notes of what some of the other caddies who have been there longer and are making good tips are doing too. Picking up a couple of small things from them (sometimes specific to the club) can really help grow your tips.

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpgBlack ER2 (Finish Courtesy of NorCal Putters) 

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  Under Armour Strikeskin Tour

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Not been a caddie, but I watched Caddyshack maybe 1000 times, so I have an idea what not to do.  All good suggestions above.

Not counting a forecaddie at Coeur d'Alene, I have only hired a caddy once; well, two caddies since my wife wanted her own.  Bandon Dunes!!  Two nice guys!  However, while we were putting on the practice green before the round, the caddies walked over to where our bags were located and started pulling clubs from our bags.  Then one said, "Hey! Which one is the chick bag?"    Don't do that!!

Then, on the first tee when I asked my caddie where I should hit my tee shot, he said "Just hit it down the middle."  I did.  Straight down the middle is a small mound of rough.  Why it's there is beyond me, but I hit it.  Make sure you give specific information.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I wonder if you are near a high end private course that has uses caddies all the time. I wonder if walking in a loop (for training) with one of them could help with some do's and dont's, if that's isnpossible, I Don't know of it is, but could be cool to check out if it's allowed.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Thanks for the help everyone! I'll put your advice to good use and hopefully not make a fool of myself.

• Like 3

WITB