TESTERS WANTED! ×

Caddie Advice

HuskerHacker

Hey everyone, I'm looking for help from anybody who can offer it. I got a job as a caddie this summer so I'm looking for advice and anything that can help me improve. If you've ever had a caddie before what are some of the things they did that you liked and what are some that you hated? If you've caddied before are there any tips of the trade you'd be willing to pass on? Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.

WITB

Bag: Ogio Silencer Cart

Driver: 915D2 10.25 Anmkara Attitude

3/4 Wood: Currently MIA

Hybrid: 910H 21* Diamana 'ahina

Irons: 712 AP1 DGs300

Wedges: SCOR 50, 54, 58 KBS Genius12

Putter: Ping Ketsch w/ flatso 1.0

Ball: Bridgestone B330

Cart: Clicgear 3.5+

What is your experience? First time? I assume this is at a golf course, not a particular player on some tour. Just make sure you are ahead of your player at all times. If you have a laser, use it. Be prepared with a yardage by the time your player gets to the ball. Be sure to carry a towel with you, half dry, half wet. Make sure to be friendly. That's when the tips start rolling in! Don't give advice, unless asked. Also, know where your guy's ball is at all times. That is a big one.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

First time ever looping. I've played a lot of golf, but grew up in a pretty small part of the world and never had the opportunity to caddie until now.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB

First good luck with the summer job. golfjunkie gave some good advice. My advice it wear shoes that you can walk in all day and not be sore by the end of the day if your feet hurt the day will suck. We have a group of people who have caddied before that I hope will give you more advice

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

We have to use caddies at every course in Thailand, there are great ones and there are ones who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a golf course.

Great ones:

Know where the ball is.

Know which club to recommend after a few holes. Know the wind direction, distance to hazards and politely remind you that you cant carry  

them.

Clean clubs, and the ball, and repair pivots / pitch marks.

Always have a smile, are polite and somehow managed to hide their amusement as we hack our way around.

Can accurately read greens if required. 

Ping G400 MAX 9*, Ping G 3 Wood, TM Aeroburner 4 Hybrid, 4- PW Ping I200, Vokey SM6  50, 54, 58, Cameron & Crown M2 Mallet.

Good advice above- my input based on my own experience is ask your player at the beginning what he wants from you? some players want advice on everything, some want advice when asked, or chat or no chat etc etc you get the idea.

Nothing worse than proferring advice to a player who doesnt want it. Set the standards and his/her expectations at the first tee and it will make it a pleasant experience for both of you. Good luck.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

What is your experience? First time? I assume this is at a golf course, not a particular player on some tour. Just make sure you are ahead of your player at all times. If you have a laser, use it. Be prepared with a yardage by the time your player gets to the ball. Be sure to carry a towel with you, half dry, half wet. Make sure to be friendly. That's when the tips start rolling in! Don't give advice, unless asked. Also, know where your guy's ball is at all times. That is a big one.

I don't think you could top this advice. Sounds like it came from my pro (other than the laser part) as a kid.

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Awareness of the rest of the group is a big thing. Just knowing where to stand, where not to stand, when to be still based on what the rest of the group is doing is a sign of a good looper. They won't even necessarily know that you're doing those things, but they will notice if you're not

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I think you're already on the right track just by starting this thread in the first place. It shows that you care and that's half the battle to being a good caddie. If you care, you'll do many of the things Junkie and others recommended. Only thing I can add is try to learn a few good one liners for quick laughs.

I've heard countless stories of the lessons learned while looping as a kid. Enjoy the experience and take it all in! If you do it long enough, you'll meet some great contacts that'll be happy to help you out down the road.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Good advice given up above. I play just about every round at my club with a caddy and some are great and some not so much.  My advice would be to find which caddy or caddies the players enjoy and try and get a loop with them.  I am fairly easy to caddy for in that I play fast and don't need yardages or reads on putts so it is pretty much just a fun conversation for 4 hours with my caddy.  Other guys that I play with think they are on tour and want to have the caddy do way too much for them and some are up to it while others are not.  Just keep up, be pleasant and make sure you know where the ball is.  If you are up in the fairway for tee shots giving a player and indication of a good shot over going in a bunker is always helpful.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

It's difficult to teach self-awareness but you're clearly on the right track. Seeking advice for the sake of self-improvement is the best way to get to where you want to be.

Speaking from experience, pay attention to how your player is doing that day. Some folks care for talk beyond the initial introductory small talk. A lot of older guys were always interested in asking younger caddies about their golf game and how they were advancing in life. Above all, it's not your responsibility to manage the dialogue or conversation.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Just make sure you are ahead of your player at all times. If you have a laser, use it. Be prepared with a yardage by the time your player gets to the ball. Be sure to carry a towel with you, half dry, half wet. Make sure to be friendly. That's when the tips start rolling in! Don't give advice, unless asked. Also, know where your guy's ball is at all times. That is a big one.

Very sound advice. My only other recommendations would be to not get too far ahead. It can be easy to be too overzealous about getting to the ball first and before you know it you've walked in front of the person taking the next shot. It is better to admit you don't know than to pretend and be wrong. I caddied in a club tournament with a guy I had never worked with. He asked me about the break of a putt and I was too afraid to not say anything. I took a stab at it and was wrong (by about three feet in the wrong direction...some things never change). Things got a little quieter after that. I wish I would have told him that I was the last person he should listen to for a green read. That would have made the rest of the round much less awkward.

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

Since you will be looping the same course or courses, learn to read the greens as you go.

Be polite, I think most guys like to to chat a bit. So go ahead and chat with them. sounds like you know what you're doing, just do it.

Give course knowledge advice, things like, the green slopes heavily from left to right, so stay left if possible. Just General course knowledge stuff

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Thanks everyone. All of this has definitely been a big help. I've definitely learned enough to not embarrass myself the first day. Hopefully...

WITB

First and foremost, watch the unedited version of Caddy Shack. Not the version that Golf Channel shows every day, but the real movie on Amazon or any other movie platform.

Take notes from the movie...and apply to your new job! You'll be good as gold!!

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Hey RP, that was terrific advice, you should write a caddie book!...LOL.

When I was 8 yrs old, my Grandfather wrapped my little hands around the rubber grip of his BagBoy pull cart. I caddied for him every week for several years. He always played with the same foursome, so it was easy to remember their names. The one tip that I can garner for your knowledge bank is this: Don't talk unless you are asked a question. Remember that one thing and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I used to caddie at a club in Portland and being a golfer yourself will help a lot when it comes to eventually providing advice to your players and just getting around the course in general. Don't stress to much about it and you should do great. Make sure to take notes of what some of the other caddies who have been there longer and are making good tips are doing too. Picking up a couple of small things from them (sometimes specific to the club) can really help grow your tips.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Not been a caddie, but I watched Caddyshack maybe 1000 times, so I have an idea what not to do.  All good suggestions above.

Not counting a forecaddie at Coeur d'Alene, I have only hired a caddy once; well, two caddies since my wife wanted her own.  Bandon Dunes!!  Two nice guys!  However, while we were putting on the practice green before the round, the caddies walked over to where our bags were located and started pulling clubs from our bags.  Then one said, "Hey! Which one is the chick bag?"    Don't do that!!

Then, on the first tee when I asked my caddie where I should hit my tee shot, he said "Just hit it down the middle."  I did.  Straight down the middle is a small mound of rough.  Why it's there is beyond me, but I hit it.  Make sure you give specific information.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I wonder if you are near a high end private course that has uses caddies all the time. I wonder if walking in a loop (for training) with one of them could help with some do's and dont's, if that's isnpossible, I Don't know of it is, but could be cool to check out if it's allowed.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Thanks for the help everyone! I'll put your advice to good use and hopefully not make a fool of myself.

WITB

And instead I'll just add these tidbits:

- Go out and walk and chart the course, before your first day of work, and get to know it like the back of your hand - so you know yardages to hazards, doglegs, etc., and whether certain greens always break toward the water or away from the mountains - and have your "cheatsheet" on you for all rounds, and keep a pencil on you so you can add to it as the summer goes on.

- If it was me I'd invest in one of those GPS watches (you can get them fairly cheap nowadays). While the client might have a rangefinder, they might not, and will prefer to use it - it's always good to be able to chirp off a yardage from the trees, or another fairway, when you don't have a direct line of sight to the hole.

- Get some new sneakers, and make sure they're comfy ones. You'll wear them out by the end of the summer, and your feet will thank you.

- Get a rainjacket, if you don't have one, and bring it with you to work each day. Your client's umbrella is for them, not you.

- Don't dress like a slob, or a kid your age (sorry, no offense). And you don't want to show up for work in dirty clothes, or smelling like you didn't bathe that morning. You might want to check with the proshop or caddyshack to find out what's considered appropriate dress for your job.

- Know the wind for the given day (and download the AccuWeather app to your phone so you can check it each day). Most courses have a prevailing wind direction, and know that if it's a 10mph breeze be ready to advise your client that it's a one-club wind when they're mulling over if it's a 8-iron or a 9-iron to the green.

- Turn off your phone, and never check it during the round. You don't want to be "that guy."

- If it looks like rain, make sure they have an umbrella and that it's in working order, and check if their bag has a rain hood (take an extra towel if they don't, or even keep a tall kitchen garbage back with you for such occasions).

- If it's going to be really hot, suggest your client might want to load up on a couple of waters/gatorades before the round (especially if the cart girl isn't working).

- Before the round, ask your "client" what they want/need of you during the round. Some will have tour-like expectations, others will just want you to tote their bag, and most will be somewhere in between.

- Ask how your client, and their playing partners, would like to be addressed. Mr., Mrs., Sir, or their first name. While they might call you Bud or Pal, it wouldn't be appropriate doing it back. Be respectful.

- Figure out before you leave the first tee where all their accessories are in their bag, including: spare tees and balls. And offer to run to the proshop if they're short of either.

- Always KNOW where their ball went. Nothing worse than having a client walk up to where they think their ball might have finished, not seeing it, and having them look at you and you say, "I never saw it."

- Always have a spare ball, and tees, in your pocket and ready to offer up quickly. Nothing worse than having them rope a tee shot out of bounds and having to ask you to produce another one, and you spending 3 minutes digging for a ball in their bag.

- Never hand your client a dirty, or badly scuffed, golf ball.

- Never hand your client a dirty club (and never put a club back in the bag before cleaning it).

- As has been mentioned, never show up to a round with a dirty towel, you might want to have a spare too - and keep the towel wet at each water station around the course - and keep a toothbrush (for cleaning grooves) stuffed in your back pocket.

- Never drop their bag, always lay it down carefully. Nothing worse than cleints hearing clubs clank as they're carelessly sluffed off a caddy's shoulder, and your client turning around and seeing it was you.

- Never just drop a pin after pulling it from the hole, especially on the green (poor etiquette). Always lay it down carefully on the fringe if you're not going to be the last one holding it as the players putt out.

- If you're holding a flag, never let it flap in the breeze. Clasp it around the pin with your hand.

- Leave your chitchat with the other caddies to the caddyshack or post round. You're working for whom you're caddying for that day, and if you're going to be doing any talking make sure it's with the client (if they're the chatty type) or to yourself (if they're not).

- Make sure and give their clubs a good final cleaning, including wiping down the bag of grass or dirt, upon the round's completion. No better way to not pick up another loop with them, or have your tip that day cut, than for them to see you loading their dirty sticks into their trunk.

- And finally - make sure and thank them, whether they tip you good or not. People's last interactions are the ones most remembered, and that jerk you just spent 4 hours toting his clubs might be the one looking to hire you for a real job when you're out of school.

- Have fun!! ... I'm betting this will be your best-ever summer job, and one you'll look back on fondly as you get older.

(* Sorry I went on so long. I started this just wanting to add a couple of things, and got carried away as I remembered my own experiences or horror stories I'd heard over the years.)

Where the heck were you in 1992?  I'm pretty sure this was 10x more comprehensive than whatever training I got before they threw me out there!

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

Ultimately, being as you play the game (based on your signature) and thus aren't a newbie, and I would guess have watched golf on TV and have seen what caddies do - this shouldn't be too hard.

A lot is going to depend on where you're caddying - as in if it's an upscale country club with fatcat members that demand a lot of attention, a public course or muni with a lot of regulars, or if it's more of a resort course setting with a lot of first-timers playing the course. None of us here will know the answer to this, and probably not you until you talk to someone at the caddy shed.

But a lot of good advice has been given already, so I won't bother repeating any of it.

And instead I'll just add these tidbits:

- Go out and walk and chart the course, before your first day of work, and get to know it like the back of your hand - so you know yardages to hazards, doglegs, etc., and whether certain greens always break toward the water or away from the mountains - and have your "cheatsheet" on you for all rounds, and keep a pencil on you so you can add to it as the summer goes on.

- If it was me I'd invest in one of those GPS watches (you can get them fairly cheap nowadays). While the client might have a rangefinder, they might not, and will prefer to use it - it's always good to be able to chirp off a yardage from the trees, or another fairway, when you don't have a direct line of sight to the hole.

- Get some new sneakers, and make sure they're comfy ones. You'll wear them out by the end of the summer, and your feet will thank you.

- Get a rainjacket, if you don't have one, and bring it with you to work each day. Your client's umbrella is for them, not you.

- Don't dress like a slob, or a kid your age (sorry, no offense). And you don't want to show up for work in dirty clothes, or smelling like you didn't bathe that morning. You might want to check with the proshop or caddyshack to find out what's considered appropriate dress for your job.

- Know the wind for the given day (and download the AccuWeather app to your phone so you can check it each day). Most courses have a prevailing wind direction, and know that if it's a 10mph breeze be ready to advise your client that it's a one-club wind when they're mulling over if it's a 8-iron or a 9-iron to the green.

- Turn off your phone, and never check it during the round. You don't want to be "that guy."

- If it looks like rain, make sure they have an umbrella and that it's in working order, and check if their bag has a rain hood (take an extra towel if they don't, or even keep a tall kitchen garbage back with you for such occasions).

- If it's going to be really hot, suggest your client might want to load up on a couple of waters/gatorades before the round (especially if the cart girl isn't working).

- Before the round, ask your "client" what they want/need of you during the round. Some will have tour-like expectations, others will just want you to tote their bag, and most will be somewhere in between.

- Ask how your client, and their playing partners, would like to be addressed. Mr., Mrs., Sir, or their first name. While they might call you Bud or Pal, it wouldn't be appropriate doing it back. Be respectful.

- Figure out before you leave the first tee where all their accessories are in their bag, including: spare tees and balls. And offer to run to the proshop if they're short of either.

- Always KNOW where their ball went. Nothing worse than having a client walk up to where they think their ball might have finished, not seeing it, and having them look at you and you say, "I never saw it."

- Always have a spare ball, and tees, in your pocket and ready to offer up quickly. Nothing worse than having them rope a tee shot out of bounds and having to ask you to produce another one, and you spending 3 minutes digging for a ball in their bag.

- Never hand your client a dirty, or badly scuffed, golf ball.

- Never hand your client a dirty club (and never put a club back in the bag before cleaning it).

- As has been mentioned, never show up to a round with a dirty towel, you might want to have a spare too - and keep the towel wet at each water station around the course - and keep a toothbrush (for cleaning grooves) stuffed in your back pocket.

- Never drop their bag, always lay it down carefully. Nothing worse than cleints hearing clubs clank as they're carelessly sluffed off a caddy's shoulder, and your client turning around and seeing it was you.

- Never just drop a pin after pulling it from the hole, especially on the green (poor etiquette). Always lay it down carefully on the fringe if you're not going to be the last one holding it as the players putt out.

- If you're holding a flag, never let it flap in the breeze. Clasp it around the pin with your hand.

- Leave your chitchat with the other caddies to the caddyshack or post round. You're working for whom you're caddying for that day, and if you're going to be doing any talking make sure it's with the client (if they're the chatty type) or to yourself (if they're not).

- Make sure and give their clubs a good final cleaning, including wiping down the bag of grass or dirt, upon the round's completion. No better way to not pick up another loop with them, or have your tip that day cut, than for them to see you loading their dirty sticks into their trunk.

- And finally - make sure and thank them, whether they tip you good or not. People's last interactions are the ones most remembered, and that jerk you just spent 4 hours toting his clubs might be the one looking to hire you for a real job when you're out of school.

- Have fun!! ... I'm betting this will be your best-ever summer job, and one you'll look back on fondly as you get older.

(* Sorry I went on so long. I started this just wanting to add a couple of things, and got carried away as I remembered my own experiences or horror stories I'd heard over the years.)

Best guidance I have heard for a caddie, but also for life. Thanks, RP, for your wisdom, insight and time. Anyone who takes these words to heart will do well in almost anything they pursue!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Everyone has given you great advice.. All i can add is Remember it's about your clients "having their best experience.. ".. Be polite, and helpful as needed, have fun but not at the clients expense. 

I think you'll do great.. 

Give us all a follow up as you progress throughout the summer, would love to hear how your doing...

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Wow. Wish I'd stumbled upon this thread sooner. I caddied all through high school and college (hence, my handle). I don't have much to add, but there are a few things...

Wear a hat. And sunscreen. You only get one skin.

Unless all the caddies at your club tilt the flag, don't tilt the flag like tour caddies do. Yes, I had to learn that one the hard way.

I am hoping that your course closes on Mondays and lets the caddies play. Play your course. Even if you're a member at another course, play the course you caddy at. There's no better way to learn a course than playing it. Golfers also prefer caddies that play. But be honest about your game. You're obviously not a hacker at an 11. You'll be much better than most of your loops.

Some have mentioned to give the clubs a thorough cleaning at the end of the round. Here's why:

1. Your player will appreciate it.

2. If your club has bag storage, become known as a caddy who brings his bags back clean and ready to go into storage. If you have bag storage and a caddymaster, the caddymaster probably runs the bag room. He (or the bag room attendants) appreciate being able to put bags away without having to clean them.

If you can't find a ball, it's at least 10 yards shorter and 10 yards farther right than you think.

When asked for advice, go with the conservative play. The vast majority of golfers overestimate their their ability. Corollary - if your player is blocked out by a tree and asks what you'd do, don't tell them that you'd take it over the tree but that they don't have that shot. Unless you're really tight with that player. Not that I ever said that to any of my loops ;-)

If you're faced with deciding between raking a trap and tending the pin, rake the trap - unless your player takes the rake into the trap. If you're looping with another caddy and you both have balls in the trap, decide who's going to rake the trap and who's going to tend the pin.

Get a feel for your player(s). Some like to talk about everything, some like to talk about themselves. Some will be dead silent. Some want advice. Some want you to shut the heck up.

When tending the flagstick, stand on the high side of the hole unless your shadow falls across the line of putt.

Offer to help the caddymaster / shop staff with tournaments. You want these people on your side.

If you can work in the shop as well as caddying, work in the shop. The pay is crappy, but it tends to lead to better loops.

Have a blast. That's why I did it for nine summers.

PM me anytime with questions.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Archived