TESTERS WANTED! ×

Players distance irons

LoganT

Shankster, being the traditionalist you are, I have to say the Hogan Ft. Worths are what you want. Look like a blade, but are perimeter weighted a bit; a narrow top line; narrow sole but with v-sole shape that effectively plays wider as it stops the club from digging; and last but not least, traditional lofts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Shankster, being the traditionalist you are, I have to say the Hogan Ft. Worths are what you want. Look like a blade, but are perimeter weighted a bit; a narrow top line; narrow sole but with v-sole shape that effectively plays wider as it stops the club from digging; and last but not least, traditional lofts.

Are they going to be sustainable though? In 5 years will I be able to replace them with something similar from Hogan?

Plus they are all sold out now. Only have the Ft Worth black in their website.

... This is a new category and I think there should be sub categories as all "distance" players irons are not alike. I think the terminology was created for irons like PXG, P790, Forged Tec and T-MB's. Hollow irons with very thin faces designed for more distance on not only center strikes but around the perimeter. But OEMs have jumped on this category as a hot new iron sales opportunity and quite a few players irons have snuck on the list. I would not include irons like i200, 900 Forged or C300 Forged as I would just call them players irons.

... Fwiw, I hit my Cobra Forged Tour 7 iron about 165 and my P790 7 iron is my 175 club. Add in more forgiveness with the 790 and it was an easy call to make the switch from irons I have been playing the last 3 generations in the Amp Forged, Fly Z+ and FT's. But the real no brainer is the P790 long irons. I have put the 790 #4 and now the #3 irons back in my bag replacing either hybrids or thicker hybrid like UDi's because they are both very long and very forgiving.  

One thing that always comes up with this style of iron is the reduced spin.  What has been your real world experience getting the 790s to stop on greens?  Has the higher launch offset the slightly lower spin? 

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

One thing that always comes up with this style of iron is the reduced spin.  What has been your real world experience getting the 790s to stop on greens?  Has the higher launch offset the slightly lower spin? 

... Absolutely. Where say a previous players 7 iron may hit and back up 1' in the past, it now hits and stops by the pitch mark or rolls forward 1-2'. An added advantage of slightly lower spin is hitting into the wind where I sometimes just take more club and hit a full shot instead of a knockdown, depending on pin location. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Are they going to be sustainable though? In 5 years will I be able to replace them with something similar from Hogan?

Plus they are all sold out now. Only have the Ft Worth black in their website.

I think the fact they discontinued the TK15 wedges and the original Ft. Worths might have something to do with Terry Koehler leaving the company. I'm just speculating, but those were his designs and maybe he will be introducing something similar under a different name.

But as for whether or not you can replace them in 5 years, of course you can. Maybe not brand new, but there will be sets on ebay for the rest of your lifetime.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I think the fact they discontinued the TK15 wedges and the original Ft. Worths might have something to do with Terry Koehler leaving the company. I'm just speculating, but those were his designs and maybe he will be introducing something similar under a different name.

But as for whether or not you can replace them in 5 years, of course you can. Maybe not brand new, but there will be sets on ebay for the rest of your lifetime.

Maybe TK Golf company?

• 1 month later...

After seeing some of the “players distance irons” in the golf store I am really excited to try some of these out. I hit the ping i500 and i210 and I'm very impressed. I hope to get fitted later this year or the beginning of next year and I have to say that I will more than likely choose one of the players distance models.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

... Nice! I like that there is an iron for everyone, and distance irons are starting to offer a wider variety. Personally, I don't quite get the i500's as the topline is thin like a compact MB but the blade length is very long. So to my eye it is the worst of both worlds. But obviously Ping has done their research and they seem to be vey popular, which I think is a good thing. A kinda players look in a bigger more forgiving head should bring more players into the distance iron fold. Of course distance irons aren't for everyone, but slower swing speed players, folks getting a little older or just anyone that likes the idea of more distance in a forgiving package is now the newest, hottest category in irons.

... Had you asked me a year ago if I were interested in a distance Iron I would have said "Absolutely not." But thankfully I have an open mind and when I demoed the P790's it was love at first session.  

... Nice! I like that there is an iron for everyone, and distance irons are starting to offer a wider variety. Personally, I don't quite get the i500's as the topline is thin like a compact MB but the blade length is very long. So to my eye it is the worst of both worlds. But obviously Ping has done their research and they seem to be vey popular, which I think is a good thing. A kinda players look in a bigger more forgiving head should bring more players into the distance iron fold. Of course distance irons aren't for everyone, but slower swing speed players, folks getting a little older or just anyone that likes the idea of more distance in a forgiving package is now the newest, hottest category in irons.

... Had you asked me a year ago if I were interested in a distance Iron I would have said "Absolutely not." But thankfully I have an open mind and when I demoed the P790's it was love at first session.

Interesting you don't like the i500 but do like the p790. I like both and I think the i500 provides the same performance as the 790 but presented in a better looking package

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Interesting you don't like the i500 but do like the p790. I like both and I think the i500 provides the same performance as the 790 but presented in a better looking package

... Exactly why they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I put them side by side yesterday and the i500's are just so long from heel to toe and the thin topline creates the optical illusion that it looks even longer. But we are talking about why someone finds a Genesis G80 more attractive looking than a Lexus GS and vice versa. 

Personally I don't need any extra distance but I want something that has a “players iron” look to it with some added forgiveness. I'm honestly willing to try each and every iron model there is to offer and find the one that works best for me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

... Fwiw, I hit my Cobra Forged Tour 7 iron about 165 and my P790 7 iron is my 175 club. Add in more forgiveness with the 790 and it was an easy call to make the switch from irons I have been playing the last 3 generations in the Amp Forged, Fly Z+ and FT's. But the real no brainer is the P790 long irons. I have put the 790 #4 and now the #3 irons back in my bag replacing either hybrids or thicker hybrid like UDi's because they are both very long and very forgiving.  

Did you find a problem in gapping to your wedges?

I like the sound of the 790's though but curious about the whole (steeper due to higher flight), instead higher spin, to hold greens concept.

Are they a little dicier in windy conditions? If you flight them down to cut thru wind, does that increase the spin?

But all things aside, they do sound like a nice  club to tradition into as I get a little deeper into my 60's... :(

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

... Exactly why they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I put them side by side yesterday and the i500's are just so long from heel to toe and the thin topline creates the optical illusion that it looks even longer. But we are talking about why someone finds a Genesis G80 more attractive looking than a Lexus GS and vice versa.

Totally agree. It's what great right now with so many good options out

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I like the sound of the 790's though but curious about the whole (steeper due to higher flight), instead higher spin, to hold greens concept.

Are they a little dicier in windy conditions? If you flight them down to cut thru wind, does that increase the spin?

But all things aside, they do sound like a nice club to tradition into as I get a little deeper into my 60's... :(

I've always been a lower spin player so I'm used to using shot height for holding greens, especially with my irons. I can't say I've had any real problems. As long as the greens aren't rock hard then I tend to hold them pretty well.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

But all things aside, they do sound like a nice  club to tradition into as I get a little deeper into my 60's... :(

... The pw took a little getting used to. I have mine bent to 46* so I have a 6* gap between my 46-52-58 wedges and it works well for me. It is a hair longer than previous pw's so I just had to dial in 3/4 and 1/2 shots.

... The wind is where these really shine. Because they spin less but launch higher, they are ideal for playing knockdown shots. As an example I played my Honma 737's a few weeks ago and had a 151 yd shot to a front pin dead into a 20+ mph wind. I played my normal knockdown shot and barely cleared the water 10yds in front of the green, because the Honma's sin more than my 790's and I am used to their performance. Even though they naturally launch high, they are very easy to hit low because they spin less.

... My occasional mistake was swinging a little too hard into the wind because taking a 3/4 swing I didn't always trust the ball will get to my target. Of course swinging harder just adds spin and results in a shorter shot into the wind. But the 790's cured me of that because with a nice controlled swing the ball flies low and really carries so I can trust it will get there. And I have had no problems holding greens either. Where I used to try and judge how spin will effect my shot and how much will it spin back, with the 790's they usually hit and hop then spin back to my ball mark, usually not past it. Or just release a little but almost always within a few yards of my ball mark. It has helped my iron game because I can pretty much trust the yardage I am hitting the ball, or as they love to say on TV it is like throwing darts and I don't have to calculate how spin is going to effect my shot. False front? Just make sure I play a yardage that carries it and I don't have to worry about spinning it back off the front. 

... But imo the main reason to love these distance irons is the long irons. They are almost like mini hybrids with the accuracy of an iron and th distance of a hybrid. Mid irons are just a little longer and agin it took a few rounds to get used to the added distance. My old 7 iron was a 165 club and my 790 7 iron is my 170 club. And similar to you at age 65 I was not gaining distance so I am very happy with additional length, especially the long irons with their added forgiveness. It is nice to stand on a 200 yd par 3 and know my 4 iron will carry the bunker, even if I mishit it a little. 

Personally I don't need any extra distance but I want something that has a “players iron” look to it with some added forgiveness. I'm honestly willing to try each and every iron model there is to offer and find the one that works best for me.

... Exactly my thinking and distance irons were not on my list. And that is pretty much what I get to do every year on Demo Day at the PGA Show. Every new iron is available to hit with premium urethane balls and usually a variety of shafts. I make my way around the circle taking notes and narrowing down my choices to what I think is the best. And then make a 2nd circle and only hit my favorites. Good luck and have fun in your hunt finding what works best for you. 

Do the recoils mate well?

On 9/8/2018 at 6:44 PM, Sluggo42 said:

Do the recoils mate well?

... I have played Recoils in my last 3 sets so they mate very well in my P790's. I have a smooth transition and swing a driver at around 100mph for reference. 

There's a set on eBay now with Steelfiber i95's (4-pw) starting at $500.

I just love my ap2's right now though as I'm just getting used to them, so I might have to wait another year. But it's never to early to start looking

• 3 weeks later...

I switched from AP2 to AP3 and it has helped. I'm a little older, and the distance gaps work better for me with the AP3 than the AP2. I play a 48 degree vokey, and the AP3 PW is 43/44 degrees. This allows me to get my 5 iron to the 24/25 degree range, and space it properly.

Specifically, I am getting better launch for the distance. My 165 club is going higher with the AP3 than it did with the AP2, I don't have to work as hard to make it happen. I find that it sits softer and the control is good. With the AP2 I could just say that the clubs were one off due to loft, but that's really not the case, as the trajectory and launch are not the same. The AP3 comes off better for me.

It doesn't have the buttery soft feel of the AP2, but the feel is still very good.

My last 3 rounds from the member tees (6k yards) have been 72, 73, 71. My last round from the blue tees (6400 yards) was a 77. This is slightly better than my average was with the AP2.

In reality, I only use the iron from the set 10-14 times a round (other shots will be vokey wedges or fairway woods/utility irons), so the change isn't going to be massive. But the confidence and the way the set blends and flows is better now than it was.

For what it's worth, I did not notice a major drop off in spin with AP3. I was still mid to high 6,000's with the 7 iron. I wasn't much different with that for the AP2. I have not noticed a drop off in terms of green holding performance. Not like I pull back 8 irons with the AP2 due to spin. The steeper descent probably helps stop it more than spin did for me.

And what was wild was that the TMB was almost identical flight as the AP2 for me. I thought that would get me some extra distance but it didn't.

I own a set of Ping I500's and what I found was that spin changed quite a bit with ball changes. For example, My typical 7 iron spins around 5800-6000, with the i500's and my typical ball (TP5X) my spin rates dropped to around 4800-5000. Huge distance jump because of ball speed increase from the heads and spin decrease, but it was way too much of a jump. Seeing 7 iron going 200 carry was not something I was looking forward to on the course. So I changed to B330, and immediately saw spin jump to 6000+ with the same ball speed and my typical 7 iron was much more playable at 185 carry. The forgiveness is still there, and I have a much more repeatable flight/distance. I saw the same spin numbers with Titleist Pro V1x, Bridgestone b330s etc. Balls that were not playable due to spin drop were like Titleist AVX, Tp5, or TP5x.

So I guess what I'm saying here is, don't discount the irons just because of what you read on the forums. Ball choice is key in making these irons do what you want. All my data is from my GCquad, so its as accurate as can be. It took me a week of testing different balls before I had the winning combination.

Taylormade M1 8.5 Rogue 70x

Callaway 816 14* Speeder

Callaway 815 hybrid 18* Speeder

3-P Taylormade PSI Tour KBS S+

Titliest SM5 52/58

Machine M20 Aluminum Bronze

• 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, LoganT said:

@chisag are you still gaming the P790s? Just wanted to check in after some time and see how you were getting along with them

... I have 4 sets I rotate playing. I play P760's the most, then P790's especially in windy conditions, Cobra Forged Tours and Z Forged MB's the least. 

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:48 AM, chisag said:

... Pretty much what the OEMs tell you the benefits are. Longer, higher trajectory and less spin. I am playing the P790's and they are the first irons I have played without a trade off. Amazingly forgiving, a full club longer than my previous players irons, very accurate and launch high enough to stop on the greens with less spin than non distance players irons. I have added the 4 and 3 irons back into my bag, something I have not done in quite a few years as those slots were taken up by hybrids. But the P790 long irons are so forgiving with plenty of trajectory and longer than my hybrids. 

what else did you test prior to settling on the TM's? I am going to hit these this week so I'm curious what you found with some of the other offerings

Golf is cool

5 hours ago, Tsecor said:

what else did you test prior to settling on the TM's? I am going to hit these this week so I'm curious what you found with some of the other offerings

... Like I said earlier, I hit everything out there. I am of the opinion that most modern irons just come down to personal preference. 

11 hours ago, chisag said:

I am of the opinion that most modern irons just come down to personal preference. 

This is spot on. After researching and hitting many iron models it just comes down to what category of irons you’re looking for. There’s not much difference between any of the “players irons” “game improvement” “distance irons” etc etc...

now shafts, that’s a completely different story

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2019 at 7:41 PM, chisag said:

... Like I said earlier, I hit everything out there. I am of the opinion that most modern irons just come down to personal preference. 

Have you tried the PXG 0211's? How would you compare them to the TM 790's? Thanks