LoganT

Players distance irons

Our Sponsors

Still finding these clubs a bit to large ,look forward to sleeker designs in the future.

Can't wait for someone to figure out how to make clubs look like a blade, feel like a blade, with a slightly longer blade length, like 780-790mm, but be as forgiving as a SGI...

they'll sell like hot cakes... anyone have a milling machine?

Edit: no foam filled goo either. Those already exist.

• Like 2

Can't wait for someone to figure out how to make clubs look like a blade, feel like a blade, with a slightly longer blade length, like 780-790mm, but be as forgiving as a SGI...

they'll sell like hot cakes... anyone have a milling machine?

Edit: no foam filled goo either. Those already exist.

I just don't see that as physically possible. Perimeter weighting and variable face thickness are the only two ways that I'm aware of to make an iron more forgiving (ie perform better on off center hits.

To look like a blade you wouldn't want perimeter weighting and to feel like a blade you'd need one-piece construction, which would take variable face thickness out of the equation.

• Like 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST Ping 9* LST VA Nemesys 65FIVE
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* VA Vylyn 75FIVE
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49 F - 54 S - 59 D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

I just don't see that as physically possible. Perimeter weighting and variable face thickness are the only two ways that I'm aware of to make an iron more forgiving (ie perform better on off center hits.

To look like a blade you wouldn't want perimeter weighting and to feel like a blade you'd need one-piece construction, which would take variable face thickness out of the equation.

You think even with the longer blade length to be able to move weight around? That's almost P790 long.

You think even with the longer blade length to be able to move weight around? That's almost P790 long.

Don't forget p790s are hollow bodied so they're able to move weight off the face and back to increase MOI, insert tungsten on the bottom to lower cg to increase launch, and they use variable face thickness (thinner face along the perimeter of the face) to generate more ball speed on off center strikes.

I don't think the blade length impacts what they're able to do from a forgiveness and performance perspective. It's the hollow body that allows them to use perimeter weighting and vft

• Like 1

SuperSpeed Forum Tester

I suck at math haha. I just think if I can dream it up someone with an engineering degree should be able to figure it out.

But everything you said makes sense.

• Like 1

I suck at math haha. I just think if I can dream it up someone with an engineering degree should be able to figure it out.

Oh I'm sure they'll be a day where a golf company can do some sort of chemical or heat treatment to a one piece iron head to make the metal respond differently depending on strike location - think variable face thickness performance in a solid clubhead. That would be pretty awesome
  • Like 1

SuperSpeed Forum Tester

Sounds like a business opportunity...

Although, I think your JPX's pretty much tick every box:

5.2mm top-line (if it were 4.2.. man)

17mm sole width

77.5mm blade length

.118 offset (.08 would make me smile a little bigger )

30° Loft

These are the 6 iron specs. That's as close to perfect for me as I can find. Perfect, now I have to convince the wife since I just talked myself into them.

• Like 1

I can see Shankster running a meeting like this...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

• Like 1

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

I'll have to watch that tomorrow. I have sunrise approach shot training tomorrow.

Shankster, being the traditionalist you are, I have to say the Hogan Ft. Worths are what you want. Look like a blade, but are perimeter weighted a bit; a narrow top line; narrow sole but with v-sole shape that effectively plays wider as it stops the club from digging; and last but not least, traditional lofts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

WITB:

Louisville Smart Persimmon Driver

Louisville Niblick Persimmon 3 & 5 woods

Hogan UIHI 4-iron*

Hogan PTx Pro 5-7*

Hogan Icon 8-PW*

KZG 51 gap wedge

KZG 56 sand wedge

Rife Legend Z Putter

*denotes clubs being tested

Shankster, being the traditionalist you are, I have to say the Hogan Ft. Worths are what you want. Look like a blade, but are perimeter weighted a bit; a narrow top line; narrow sole but with v-sole shape that effectively plays wider as it stops the club from digging; and last but not least, traditional lofts.

Are they going to be sustainable though? In 5 years will I be able to replace them with something similar from Hogan?

Plus they are all sold out now. Only have the Ft Worth black in their website.

... This is a new category and I think there should be sub categories as all "distance" players irons are not alike. I think the terminology was created for irons like PXG, P790, Forged Tec and T-MB's. Hollow irons with very thin faces designed for more distance on not only center strikes but around the perimeter. But OEMs have jumped on this category as a hot new iron sales opportunity and quite a few players irons have snuck on the list. I would not include irons like i200, 900 Forged or C300 Forged as I would just call them players irons.

... Fwiw, I hit my Cobra Forged Tour 7 iron about 165 and my P790 7 iron is my 175 club. Add in more forgiveness with the 790 and it was an easy call to make the switch from irons I have been playing the last 3 generations in the Amp Forged, Fly Z+ and FT's. But the real no brainer is the P790 long irons. I have put the 790 #4 and now the #3 irons back in my bag replacing either hybrids or thicker hybrid like UDi's because they are both very long and very forgiving.  

One thing that always comes up with this style of iron is the reduced spin.  What has been your real world experience getting the 790s to stop on greens?  Has the higher launch offset the slightly lower spin? 

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

One thing that always comes up with this style of iron is the reduced spin.  What has been your real world experience getting the 790s to stop on greens?  Has the higher launch offset the slightly lower spin? 

... Absolutely. Where say a previous players 7 iron may hit and back up 1' in the past, it now hits and stops by the pitch mark or rolls forward 1-2'. An added advantage of slightly lower spin is hitting into the wind where I sometimes just take more club and hit a full shot instead of a knockdown, depending on pin location. 

• Like 2

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Pro Orange 60r
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hy ... Matrix Altus 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

Are they going to be sustainable though? In 5 years will I be able to replace them with something similar from Hogan?

Plus they are all sold out now. Only have the Ft Worth black in their website.

I think the fact they discontinued the TK15 wedges and the original Ft. Worths might have something to do with Terry Koehler leaving the company. I'm just speculating, but those were his designs and maybe he will be introducing something similar under a different name.

But as for whether or not you can replace them in 5 years, of course you can. Maybe not brand new, but there will be sets on ebay for the rest of your lifetime.

• Like 1

WITB:

Louisville Smart Persimmon Driver

Louisville Niblick Persimmon 3 & 5 woods

Hogan UIHI 4-iron*

Hogan PTx Pro 5-7*

Hogan Icon 8-PW*

KZG 51 gap wedge

KZG 56 sand wedge

Rife Legend Z Putter

*denotes clubs being tested

I think the fact they discontinued the TK15 wedges and the original Ft. Worths might have something to do with Terry Koehler leaving the company. I'm just speculating, but those were his designs and maybe he will be introducing something similar under a different name.

But as for whether or not you can replace them in 5 years, of course you can. Maybe not brand new, but there will be sets on ebay for the rest of your lifetime.

Maybe TK Golf company?

• Like 1

After seeing some of the “players distance irons” in the golf store I am really excited to try some of these out. I hit the ping i500 and i210 and I'm very impressed. I hope to get fitted later this year or the beginning of next year and I have to say that I will more than likely choose one of the players distance models.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

... Nice! I like that there is an iron for everyone, and distance irons are starting to offer a wider variety. Personally, I don't quite get the i500's as the topline is thin like a compact MB but the blade length is very long. So to my eye it is the worst of both worlds. But obviously Ping has done their research and they seem to be vey popular, which I think is a good thing. A kinda players look in a bigger more forgiving head should bring more players into the distance iron fold. Of course distance irons aren't for everyone, but slower swing speed players, folks getting a little older or just anyone that likes the idea of more distance in a forgiving package is now the newest, hottest category in irons.

... Had you asked me a year ago if I were interested in a distance Iron I would have said "Absolutely not." But thankfully I have an open mind and when I demoed the P790's it was love at first session.  

• Like 3

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Pro Orange 60r
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hy ... Matrix Altus 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

... Nice! I like that there is an iron for everyone, and distance irons are starting to offer a wider variety. Personally, I don't quite get the i500's as the topline is thin like a compact MB but the blade length is very long. So to my eye it is the worst of both worlds. But obviously Ping has done their research and they seem to be vey popular, which I think is a good thing. A kinda players look in a bigger more forgiving head should bring more players into the distance iron fold. Of course distance irons aren't for everyone, but slower swing speed players, folks getting a little older or just anyone that likes the idea of more distance in a forgiving package is now the newest, hottest category in irons.

... Had you asked me a year ago if I were interested in a distance Iron I would have said "Absolutely not." But thankfully I have an open mind and when I demoed the P790's it was love at first session.

Interesting you don't like the i500 but do like the p790. I like both and I think the i500 provides the same performance as the 790 but presented in a better looking package

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1