Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Beside the points

revkev

Nate Silver started out as a statistical analyst primarily in sports. He made a huge splash by nailing Obama's first election and again in ‘16 by saying that Trump had a much better change than other analysts were predicting (actually a better chance than the Broncos had of beating the Panthers in the Super Bowl a few years ago).

His group has a very interesting little sports blurb that comes out twice a week. It's called, “Besides the points”

It's where I got the factoid that only Jack and Tiger have ever effected golf TV ratings. They had the most awesome graphic of player size in the NFL from start to today. Insightful - 270 was a huge guy in 1930 - now that size is middling and there are very few players there - they cluster from 200-250 and 300-340.

Back to golf - according to today's segment it's 33 percent more likely that an average touring pro will win a major ( assuming he's in the field) than the Player's championship. This is because the fields at all of the majors are watered down in some way while the Players is assembled strictly by professional merit.

Why would the Players want to be a major? It's better.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

No argument here, it is one of the best tourneys all year. Look at the leaderboard right now. There are 40 players within 4 strokes. This course can eat you up. Ask any number of players, if you want to win here, you have to play boring type golf, you can't force the issue and take chances. I really feel that is the only draw back to the course itself.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

While we're on the topic of Majors, I've always felt that the PGA was “filler” just to serve as an additional revenue generator. The original match play format would have served it well had it continued. It made the event unique among three very well established events. The Masters needs no introduction, the US Open is the People's Tournament, the Open is the great European Major and the PGA, well, glory's last shot doesn't really sound that romantic. Adding to the lack of significance, it has been moved to May to give the FedEx cup a larger pedestal.

We definitely don't need another major just for the sake of calling it a major; the Players has its history and allure, we already know it's a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Archived