TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ben Hogan Golf Club Demo Program

GregB135

I'm in the early stages of determining whether I need to replace my current set of irons, Mizuno JPX 850 Forged, and what to replace them with. 

I was very intrigued to see the Ben Hogan Golf Co. back in the club production business. Though no driver or fairway wood options are available, they are offering a variety of irons and wedges. As a mid handicapper I'm looking for forgiveness along with the ability to shape shots when I need to. As such, I have some interest Hogan's the PTx irons - a forged cavity back presented as part of the 'players/game improvement' iron segment.

As a direct-to-consumer manufacturer, the BHGCo offers a demo program so we the golfing consumers aren't restricted to buying clubs unseen and untried. For $20 to cover two-way shipping (that's probably a bargain) they send you two clubs of your choice (not all are always available). Demo clubs are provided only in standard loft and lie, but you may have a choice of shaft options. Since the PTx irons come in at a significant mark down from what the bigger OEM offers are offering comparable to my Mizunos, I figured why not, I'll try out the demo program. Then I decided, why not share the experience with all you fellow MGSers.

The initial selection is done through the BHGCo website. The selection process for the demo clubs was simple and intuitive, as well as the payment process. The $20 covers the shipping and there is a held charge of $250 in case you don't return the clubs within 14 days of receipt.

I very quickly received a confirmation email for the order, and another soon after to track shipping. They use UPS ground, so according to the tracking number, they should be at my door on Monday.

So far the process has been very customer friendly. I'll follow up with more after I receive the clubs. 

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Good luck with PTx irons Greg. The demo program is cool, I ordered demo Ft. Worths to test before I bought my set. I received my demo clubs quickly and when I ordered some TK wedges I received them quickly as well.

Do yourself a favor and spend another $20 to test the Ft. Worths or Ft. Worth Black irons before you decide. The Ft. Worths are not as hard to hit as they may seem, you'd be surprised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I'm nervously waiting for the Edge irons to be available for demo!

Sean K.

Driver: :callaway-small: Great Big Bertha, 10.5o, -1"
Wood: :srixon-small: Z-F85, 3W, 15o
Hybrids: :titelist-small: 818 H1, 19o
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Hot Metal 4-GW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2.0 55o, 60o
Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Tour Impact No. 3
Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star

2017 Vice Pro Forum Review
2019 Tommy Armour Tour Impact No.3 Forum Review

which clubs did you choose?  or do you get a choice?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

which clubs did you choose?  or do you get a choice?

Ace,

Under the Demo Program tab on the BHGCo website, the club models available for demo will all have a photo button. Once you click that it will give you another pull down to select shaft options if they are available. I went with the PTx irons. Other demo users who have posted there said typically you will receive a mid iron and a short iron to test.

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

me too!!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

I purchased a set of Ft. Worths and could not be happier. They feel as good as any Mizuno that I've ever swung. Good luck in your pursuit!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

The demo clubs arrived yesterday!!! 

The link to the UPS tracking was accurate and easy to use. The clubs arrived right on schedule. The return shipping label is included in the package, and the shipment was boxed such that it is easily used for returning the clubs. 

By the measurements, I received a 6 and 9 iron.

For comparison purposes, my Mizuno JPX 850 forged irons are standard loft and lie, and 1/2" longer than standard. That puts my 6 iron at a loft/lie of 29/61 at 38", and 9 iron at 40/62.5 and 37.25".  Both have midsize grips. The demo clubs are all standard length/lie and grip. So the 6 iron is 29/62 and 37.5" and the 9 iron is 41/63.5 and 36". 

The clubs look fantastic. The top-line is ever so slightly thicker than the Mizuno but at first stance (ha) the lie angle variance seems to suit my natural setup a little be better with the Hogans. Swing weight feels a touch heavier.

The local weather is a bit sketchy for the next few days so it may be that long before I get to apply club faces to golf balls. I expect to get at least one range comparison and then a side-by-side on course soon after. 

More to follow  :D

Weird that the 9 is a 41 Deg. I thought they were pretty set on the 4 deg spacing between irons. My PTx 6 iron is a 30 and the 9 is 42.

Hopefully you get some nice weather soon. I would be itching like crazy to get as much of those 14 days worth as possible!

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

Weird that the 9 is a 41 Deg. I thought they were pretty set on the 4 deg spacing between irons. My PTx 6 iron is a 30 and the 9 is 42.

Hopefully you get some nice weather soon. I would be itching like crazy to get as much of those 14 days worth as possible!

Thanks RPZ - I double checked and the 6 iron is a 29 (previous post updated). For a moment I thought they might have set me up to see two different launch profile setups. Turns out I just didn't look at the club and went straight from their standard spec list on the website.  Oops.

Now if it would just quit raining.....

Thanks for starting this thread. I think a lot of us will be interested in following along.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Range trial complete. 

Got enough of a break in the rainy weather to take the demos out to the range.

For those following the critique of the Hogan demo process, the two week time frame is more than enough so far. I should be able to complete at least one more range session, and an on-course test (again, assuming weather cooperates) before reaching the return deadline.

For those following for a Mizuno 850 forged comparison to the PTx. Once I started putting some better swings on them - pure strikes were just about equal with both clubs. Given my Miz 6 iron is 1/2" longer and the 9 is a full 1 1/4" longer plus one degree stronger, that makes me want to think the Hogans are just a bit longer. (Remember, that is eye-ball to the target not monitor data). The Hogans definitely had the advantage on off center hits. I didn't see as much loss of distance and the feel was pretty much the same as flush. The Mizuno definitely told me more about the quality of my contact, verified by the errant ball flight and more noticeable loss of distance.

Gotta admit, so far, leaning toward a probable purchase. Assuming customer service will match the level of customer friendliness in the demo program, I would be more than comfortable placing an order for a full set.

Great reviews so far. Keep us updated on whether or not you decide to go forward with a purchase!

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Available now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

Order the Hogan's and don't look back. I couldn't be happier with a combo set of Ft. Worth 15s and two HI irons (3&4).

I saved a ton of $ and they feel as good as any forging that I've ever played.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Do the clubs have to be at the return address in 14 days or just post marked on the 14th day?  If they need to be return on the 14th day, how do you know how long it will take to get there based upon the return label?

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Do the clubs have to be at the return address in 14 days or just post marked on the 14th day? If they need to be return on the 14th day, how do you know how long it will take to get there based upon the return label?

They include a UPS return label with the clubs. That label has to be scanned within 14 days, so as long as it's en route by the 14th day your good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Okay Spies, just about to wrap up this thread. Weather and schedule of life are making it look like only about 50/50 I'll get to do an on-course trial with the demo clubs. I will definitely put them through some paces on the range again though.

Again, since this is intended to review the demo process, that's where I'll focus. Indeed, the box the clubs arrived in was ideally suited for re-packaging for the return. The clubs were boxed with stabilizing sleeves and plastic bag covers for the heads. And it was taped to allow easy opening and re-packing. I took care to not damage the box, and kept all the original packing materials. 

The pre-paid return shipping label is indeed included with the shipment. There is a UPS store near my home, so I expect the return shipping to be a relative breeze. I'll clean and repack the clubs, tape the box similarly to how it arrived, slap the label on and run down to the UPS store. I'll make sure to follow up with how that meets expectations.

The jury is still out on purchase decision until I finish at least another range session. Initial impression so far, given the performance of the clubs and the customer service experience, is these are probably going to wind up in the bag. 

My demo is officially complete. 

Process-wise, returning the clubs could not have been simpler. I walked into the UPS Store, the clerk scanned the provided return shipping label, taped the box, handed me my receipt, and....DONE. The entire process took about 1 minute in the store. For tracking, I entered the new tracking number on the UPS website, and can request an email update on delivery. 

If you are planning to demo any Hogan clubs, as long as the original shipping box isn't damaged by you or UPS, and you hold onto the packaging that the clubs arrive with, it is all set up to be as easy for the customer as possible. 

For the clubs themselves. Wow. I got a few more range swings in with them, and then took them out on the course. The on-course performance matched what I saw on the range. The PTx-s were slightly longer than their counterparts in my current gamer set. The biggest difference was in feel and forgiveness. Feel-wise, the JPX 850 Forged tells me every time I miss the sweet spot, while the PTx had a solid but softer feel to it as long as you got the club face on the ball. I did catch a couple a bit thin, but feel and sound agreed that was the miss. Forgiveness gave the PTx a clear advantage over my current gamers. While bad swings netted the expected bad result, there was not as much difference between the 'pretty good', 'good', and 'really good' contact categories as I see with my Mizzy's. Example - I hit 3 9-irons into the same green, 1st was solid but pulled left of the green, 2nd was a tad thin but on line, 3rd felt just short of pure and was on line. The distance spread between the 3 shortest to longest was about 4 paces.  Later it was an effortless feeling, pured 6 iron on a mid-length par-3 to 4 feet (yes I made the putt) that put the icing on the demo cake. Considering my only GIRs for the day were on the holes where I used the PTx, I'm pretty much sold.

Now to break the news to SWMBO and wait two weeks for my new irons to show up.

Archived