Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

PXG Unboxing Pics

forzabucks

Shafts are Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105, with Golf Pride plus 4 grips. Very light and stiff, and will be just as much of an upgrade for me as the club heads. My previous set was the first set I learned to golf with. I wanted to wait til I was confident enough in my game to get a proper fitting. Hopefully the rain lets up today and I can give these a run!

I shared the packaging pics because I'm a marketing guy at heart, and details like this matter to me. I love the way PXG was developed and branded. I actually got to meet Jim Parsons at a golf club in Colorado two years ago and he was telling me about his cool new clubs. I'm a huge fan of guys bringing new ideas to the table and trying to do things a little different. I know Jim is a polarizing figure in the golf world, but I think we can all agree that anyone putting up time and money to help develop aspects of the game we love is ultimately a good thing. 

When I went to the Masters this year (dressed in my profile pic!), I was stunned by how many pros I saw with PXG's in their bag. It's pretty unreal that Jim was able to accomplish so much in a few short years. 

As for the high price...well, I spend a ton of money on golf already (including travel), so I figured investing into the most important tools should be amortized over a long life of playing them. Getting properly fitted at other places would have run me in the same range, and my brother has been a huge fan of his PXG's, so I figured to give it a go. I'm hoping that the cost ends up being more than I would have liked to pay, but less than it's worth, if that makes sense. 

Dz_Ac9cc_ATPe_I_Lv_Wqi_UFdg.jpg

Driver:  :callaway-small: Great Big Bertha

Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 2

Wedges: PXG, Callaway Mack Daddy 3

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpgER3

Looking good .. hope those beauties treat ya well!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Shafts are Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105, with Golf Pride plus 4 grips. Very light and stiff, and will be just as much of an upgrade for me as the club heads. My previous set was the first set I learned to golf with. I wanted to wait til I was confident enough in my game to get a proper fitting. Hopefully the rain lets up today and I can give these a run!

I shared the packaging pics because I'm a marketing guy at heart, and details like this matter to me. I love the way PXG was developed and branded. I actually got to meet Jim Parsons at a golf club in Colorado two years ago and he was telling me about his cool new clubs. I'm a huge fan of guys bringing new ideas to the table and trying to do things a little different. I know Jim is a polarizing figure in the golf world, but I think we can all agree that anyone putting up time and money to help develop aspects of the game we love is ultimately a good thing.

When I went to the Masters this year (dressed in my profile pic!), I was stunned by how many pros I saw with PXG's in their bag. It's pretty unreal that Jim was able to accomplish so much in a few short years.

As for the high price...well, I spend a ton of money on golf already (including travel), so I figured investing into the most important tools should be amortized over a long life of playing them. Getting properly fitted at other places would have run me in the same range, and my brother has been a huge fan of his PXG's, so I figured to give it a go. I'm hoping that the cost ends up being more than I would have liked to pay, but less than it's worth, if that makes sense.

It's a good point: it's not what you pay for something, it's what it actually cost. Hadn't thought of it with regard to PXG. Enjoy your new wrenches! Hit ‘em well!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Everyone should just play what makes themselves happy. No need to justify it to anyone. That's the beauty of the golf

Absolutely positively correct-110%---- I joke around about playing the old stuff I find or what someone gives me but I enjoy playing that sorta stuff now--- I absolutely have no problem whatsoever with what someone plays in regard to brand ,price or era it was made in----- And I could give two hoots less if it conforming according to the high and mighty self serving USGA or R&A for that matter. Play what makes you happy and enjoying the game because I damn sure am!!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Looks like an awesome setup, Enjoy!

Taylor Made BRNR mini driver

Callaway Rogue 3 wood - Aldila Synergy 

Callaway Rogue SZ 5 wood- Project X Even Flow Blue

Sub 70 699 U 22*

Taylor Made M4 5-AW - KBS Max 

Ping Glide 4.0 Wedges 54* and 58*

Sub 70 005 Wide Blade putter

Absolutely positively correct-110%---- I joke around about playing the old stuff I find or what someone gives me but I enjoy playing that sorta stuff now--- I absolutely have no problem whatsoever with what someone plays in regard to brand ,price or era it was made in----- And I could give two hoots less if it conforming according to the high and mighty self serving USGA or R&A for that matter. Play what makes you happy and enjoying the game because I damn sure am!!

If I had a 5 handicap like you, I would be enjoying the hell out of the game even more than I already am!

If I had a 5 handicap like you, I would be enjoying the hell out of the game even more than I already am!

Well I do not take it as seriously any more since I quit playing comps and big money games. I could work at it and more than likely get it down but I still maintain the 5 from the more forward tees aka gold or senior tees. If I played or practiced more I would probably move back to the mid tees. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

OP - do you have any figures from your fitting that you are willing to share? Specs from your old clubs to the new ones? You pick up distance? consistency? 

My old clubs were Callaway X2 Hot, with graphite shots....definitely wrong for my swing speed. I will have some better numbers by Thursday evening, as I will be using the new set with a trackman. Just hitting on the range, I've definitely noticed more distance and much better control. Mishits still suck, but that is a swing issue. I'll share #'s as I get them...

I can say I'm really loving the 56 wedge.

Very nice, your a lucky man!

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

I dropped my PXG 7 and 9 Irons On the cart path Saturday after I hit balls with them for the first time. Hit them after my round (my foursome didn't tell me they'd changed our teetime we've had for 19 years while I've been working 7/12's the past 2 months). So I hit them afterward. Didn't put them in my bag, just carried them in the front seat of the cart. Hit a stick and it shook the cart enough to make them start sliding and those 2 hit the ground before I could stop. Oh well, they're just clubs and now I don't have to worry about the first ding

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I dropped my PXG 7 and 9 Irons On the cart path Saturday after I hit balls with them for the first time. Hit them after my round (my foursome didn't tell me they'd changed our teetime we've had for 19 years while I've been working 7/12's the past 2 months). So I hit them afterward. Didn't put them in my bag, just carried them in the front seat of the cart. Hit a stick and it shook the cart enough to make them start sliding and those 2 hit the ground before I could stop. Oh well, they're just clubs and now I don't have to worry about the first ding

I liked it because your last part it's hard to be that calm but you are. Sorry to hear about them

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Buddy. Your money spends the way you wish. You don't have to explain yourself to anyone.

Good luck and enjoy!

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I have a pit in my stomach for you. That first ding on almost anything is the worst feeling. If you really kept your cool, you're the man. I'll throw some four letter words out and shed a few tears for you.

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

I liked it because your last part it's hard to be that calm but you are. Sorry to hear about them

It's not a big deal to me honestly. I did get a heck of a deal from a dealer friend before they started the 50% off for veterans on the Gen 1's. But at the end of the day, I am going to be slamming them into the ground as hard as possible (not chopping wood style, just meant hitting them). Only club that I worry with the topline or anything else on is the putter(s) and the driver. At the end of the day, They're still just Golf clubs.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

A+ on the presentation! 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

That first ding is my fear, but alas, we are swinging our clubs at the ground for years, so might as well get it out of the way. you are much calmer than me, which probably makes you a better golfer than me too!

Well Rookie is one cool character anyhow but I alway follow his WITB posts to see what he has gotten now

G

Beautiful clubs, enjoy! Hope the weather clears up for you.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Got to play 9 today. Clubs hit great. I was parking my 6 iron from ~190, which is something I've never been able to do. Gap wedge has been great as well. If I can ever get my driver under control I may be able to post some nice scores...

• 2 weeks later...

Those are gorgeous, did you try out other clubs before deciding on the PXG or just hop right down that path?

Driver: Callaway Rogue - Project X HZRDUS Yellow, 6.0, 63g

Fairway: Callaway Epic 3 wood, Rogue MAX stiff, 75g

4-6 Iron: Mizuno JPX-850 - Project X 5.5 

7-PW: Mizuno JPX-850 Forged - Project X 5.5

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T5 (50, 54), Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 60 ES

Putter: Odyssey Marxman, Currently tested and kept Golf Pride Tour SNSR Contour Pro 140cc grip

Those are gorgeous, did you try out other clubs before deciding on the PXG or just hop right down that path?

I tried a few through demos but not a proper fitting, so it's not a true apples to apples comparison. My brother had a great experience with PXG's so I decided to just go down that road. Very happy I did, though I'm sure getting a fitting and other clubs would have helped immensely as well. No buyers remorse here.

Archived