TESTERS WANTED! ×

Glasses prescription changes.

garethw

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

For glasses wearers, have any of you ever had issues putting after a change in prescription?

Last October I had my eyes checked and needed new lenses due to a change in prescription. Shortly after receiving them I had a car accident and badly broke my left leg and knee. I mention that due to not having played much golf in these glasses, possibly 1 round only.

Last month was the first time I started to play again and my putting is absolutely dire. A friend of mine can not believe how many 3 / 4 putts I am having. The Pro I use said the only thing that looked different was the ball had crept a little back in my stance.

Part of a foreigner renewing their Thai driving licenses is a depth perception test. I did this last December and really had to concentrate to get it right. I am now wondering if my current prescription is causing depth perception / distance / green reading issues. Has anyone else experienced this or something similar? I pulled the house apart the other day looking for older set of glasses and I am going to wear those for tomorrow's round and see if there is any difference. Clutching straws springs to mind.........

Ping G400 MAX 9*, Ping G 3 Wood, TM Aeroburner 4 Hybrid, 4- PW Ping I200, Vokey SM6  50, 54, 58, Cameron & Crown M2 Mallet.

I wear contacts and I would say yes the change in prescription will change how the ball looks at setup since your vision is now better. Will probably vary based on whether you are near or far sighted as well.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I wear contacts and I would say yes the change in prescription will change how the ball looks at setup since your vision is now better. Will probably vary based on whether you are near or far sighted as well.

I wear progressive lenses, prior to these frames and lenses I've not had any issues. Thinking about it more, I really struggled playing pool in these as well. I'll see (no pun intended) what happens in the morning.

Ping G400 MAX 9*, Ping G 3 Wood, TM Aeroburner 4 Hybrid, 4- PW Ping I200, Vokey SM6  50, 54, 58, Cameron & Crown M2 Mallet.

I wear progressive lenses, prior to these frames and lenses I've not had any issues. Thinking about it more, I really struggled playing pool in these as well. I'll see (no pun intended) what happens in the morning.

I also switched to progressives about a year ago, and looking down at the ball was very weird at first because I had to shift my whole face instead of just moving my eyes, due to the different zones in the lenses. Once I adjusted to how I had to look at the ball, things went back to normal.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

As mentioned by others I wear progressive lenses and I have prism, which corrects for double vision. I cannot wear them on course because its just too distracting with the slight head movements over the ball. I just suck it up and go blurry for a few hours.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I had cataract surgery 2 years ago. I had a prescription lens put in, and no longer need a contact in that eye. I still wear one contact.

After the cataract surgery, I couldn't hit the ball for 6-7 weeks. I topped everything. It finally got straightened out, but it takes a while for things to get back to normal.

Yes... I've had this issue before. My regular glasses are progressive no-line bifocals. My golf sunglasses are bifocal also. However, I opted* for the old fashion type lenses where the lower bifocal looks like an insert. Which I guess it is. At first I had a slight issue with them and put them aside for about a year. These are a Rayban frame of some model. Prior to buying these glasses I used to wear a pair of HD Vision ($9 - Walgreens)  right over my regular glasses. They fit perfectly and I loved the way they increased clarity and improved green reading. The Hd's later broke or I lost them.... can't recall. So, I picked up my Raybans again to give them a second try. This time and after perhaps one round they worked perfectly. Nowadays I don't even notice them and my depth perception is a non-factor. I've been wearing these for years. The lenses are just basic gray polarized. Currently and because of this Topic I'm going to look into getting my lenses replaced. They have run their course somewhat. I did this several years ago and replacing the lenses is fairly cheap.

* for years and when I originally purchased the Raybans I wanted a cooler more wrap-around style frame but with a no-line progressive lens like my regular glasses. And they are certainly available. If you're willing to pay for them. +- $600!! 

I'm not willing. For me - sometimes you have to draw a line.

20180513_090338.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Interestingly (posted on another page) I had this same exact problem last week. The prescription for my progressive lenses changed but I was still wearing my old Rx because I liked the Oakley frames with transition lenses. Putting was pretty decent. Then I went out last week with the new Rx and couldn't put for cr*p. Didn't realize the problem until I got home. The problem - on the green I'd line up ball - then standing over it the line was distorted to the right (I'm a lefty). Even on short putts I'd end up missing them by an inch or so.

Additionally there is a difference between the height of the glasses in the new frames - they are much larger then the Oakley's. Solution is for golf I'm sticking with my previous Rx with the Oakley's. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Interestingly (posted on another page) I had this same exact problem last week. The prescription for my progressive lenses changed but I was still wearing my old Rx because I liked the Oakley frames with transition lenses. Putting was pretty decent. Then I went out last week with the new Rx and couldn't put for cr*p. Didn't realize the problem until I got home. The problem - on the green I'd line up ball - then standing over it the line was distorted to the right (I'm a lefty). Even on short putts I'd end up missing them by an inch or so.

Additionally there is a difference between the height of the glasses in the new frames - they are much larger then the Oakley's. Solution is for golf I'm sticking with my previous Rx with the Oakley's. 

I've just found the old Rx and there is not much of a difference. There is a big difference in the size of the lenses. My previous frames had large lenses these current ones are a lot smaller. I've worn progressives for over 4 years. My first were Rudy Project Rydon and again no issues, maybe the lense size is the issue.

There is an adjustment period every time that I change prescriptions.

The worst was moving into transitional trifocals. For the longest time I had to swing at the ball in the middle. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

There is an adjustment period every time that I change prescriptions.

The worst was moving into transitional trifocals. For the longest time I had to swing at the ball in the middle. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my case with the stronger prescription and larger lenses it does distort. I'm going to try head up and down just to see the difference. Regardless, I'm still going to use the old Rx - the reason for the new one was because of all the reading I do at night. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I got prescription glasses about 30 years ago, and started playing golf about 26 years ago.  I could not play with them at all.  The lenses were large, but I could not focus on the ball.  Prescription was for driving... not driving the ball!  I have always played golf without my glasses; used sunglasses and didn't have a problem.  A week ago I passed the driver's vision test for my new license without my glasses!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Just finished this mornings round. 18 putts on the front nine and 15 on the back. I had one 3 putt but that was over 40 feet from the hole. The only change was my glasses. Whether mentally or physically the distances seemed clearer with a lot more clarity in my vision. I'll be sticking with the old prescription I think.

Archived