TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Cleveland Launcher HB Drivers

hckymeyer

Who wore it better? Cksurferdude or Phil? Looks like Chuck was way ahead of the game with the button down on the course!

Great stuff and awesome start.

NOW GO HIT SOME FAIRWAYS!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ha! Actually was not all that uncomfortable, if I recall. But would not recommend the all-cotton variety for game day. Nor the jeans (guess it was one of those casual dress days at work).

Thanks!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cksurfdude - I'll be curious to see how this will compare to your mini driver if you'll swap it out!

Here's hoping that someone will show Jamie Sadlowski how to hit this thing :)

Thanks ... Me too!

If you want to see "Grandpa" Jamie bombing this driver check out...

https://www.clevelandgolf.com/en/Jamie_Sadlowski.html

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

What shaft did y'all select? Can't wait to here what you guys have to say!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Thanks for that question .. am going to answer it more fully later. The end result .. after a fitting .. was possibly the very last one I would have picked for myself!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but I might enjoy the Stage 1 of the reviews even more than Stages 2 and 3. It's interesting that with just a username and the posts you read, you can come up with a whole idea of what a guy is like. And then you read these posts, and (at least for me), find that your mental image is way off.

Anyway, good writeups so far, gentlemen! Looking forward to reading the rest.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Maybe it's just me, but I might enjoy the Stage 1 of the reviews even more than Stages 2 and 3. It's interesting that with just a username and the posts you read, you can come up with a whole idea of what a guy is like. And then you read these posts, and (at least for me), find that your mental image is way off.

I find that to be 100% the way it is for me, too.  It's almost like a guy using a picture with a beard for his avatar, then you see a recent picture of him beardless and you almost wouldn't recognize him. B)

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

The first thing I noticed when unboxing the new driver was how reflective the head was. I know I am going to have to get very creative with my camera setup for stage two. As you can see from the picture below there is no marking on the top of the club head showing where the center of the club head is. This is actually the first driver I have used that has not had some sort of marking. I do not think this will bother me but it was one of the first things I noticed.

jJ3F4Z0.jpg

This being my first review here, I really feel the pressure to present something special for you all. Please feel free to ask questions and leave comments. If you feel I have left something out, please let me know. I cannot wait to put this club through its paces. I have already played three rounds with it and am excited to start working on stage two. I will definitely be providing more pictures and hopefully some video. You all really need to hear the sound this thing produces. But I don't want to give away too much. So until then, I'll see you all later!!!

I felt the exact same way.  Then I realized the reviews I like best are pretty straightforward and honest.  Not too much fluff, just the facts or opinions.  I think most people are interested in who you are, but are more interested in what you have to say about the product.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Tensei CK Pro Blue 60... First time ever using a non OEM shaft.

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

You're already doing a great job so relax, have fun, and enjoy the process. The staff hit a home run when they picked you guys so this review will be fun to follow.

Thank you.

I am glad I was able to get stage one in on time and that I got to play a few rounds with the driver before what looks to be a week of rain.

I may have to slip out to top golf if my course's range isn't dried out by the weekend.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Cleveland Launcher HB 

Stage 1 Review

I am interested to see how this driver performs with all of this “forgiveness” that Cleveland has preached. I am finally at a point in my game where I am hitting great drives with my current OEM but have the occasional slice still. This club is a lightweight driver and it will be interesting to see how that changes with my Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 shaft. My current set up is with a regular flex OEM shaft so I am interested to see how different this set up will be for me. I was actually fitted for this shaft and was chosen based off level of comfort due to my swing speed (99 mph) and spin rate (2000) off the clubface.

attachicon.gifIMG_4002.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4004.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4005.jpg

After hitting three 300+ yard drives within the last 2 weeks, with one of them driving a Par 4 Green in one, I am excited to see what damage I can do with this new set up…but you will have to follow along to see!

attachicon.gifIMG_4007.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4009.jpg

Another stellar intro stage 1!   You boys are good so let's crank up the popcorn and get this party started!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Project x hzrdus yellow 6.0 65 shaft. The weight is a little lighter than the shaft in my current driver. (Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff)

The yellow is flashy. I have to say it's nice swinging a highlighter around

It came with the stand size grip on it, I may be replacing this soon going to play a few more rounds it first.

Hi CK!

I recognize that indoor bay! I took the golf PT program and some lessons there myself this offseason. I hope we can get a round in again this year. I was practicing the wedge game at the Crab yesterday and realized I hadn't been there since our round last year.

Great stage 1 reviews across the board.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

Great stage ones guys, love hearing how everyone else came to love our game!

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

FYI ... Updated my Stage 1 to include a section - copied in below - about the unboxing; had not yet received the club when I initially posted my Stage 1.

====================================

---------------------------------------------------------------

Stage One Addendum â€“ The Reveal.

- Due to a back-order on the grip initially selected, the club arrived after posting Stage 1.

It's here .. yea! .. it's here!

Its_Here&#33;.jpg

And we open it up to reveal…

open_box.jpg

(Note: there's no wrench as this club has a bonded hosel.)

Minor Criticism of Packaging

The triangular box seems different than most other manufacturers use, and I guess is a part of this company's branding, but … if you zoom in on the first picture you'll notice the right side has been deformed in transit … and you can see in the “reveal” pic above there was no paper or bubble wrap  around the shaft, nor is there any support/partition in the center of the box…

I'd be concerned if there were a case of severe mishandling in transit that real damage could occur to the shaft .. and if I'd just paid a few to several hundred $$$ for a premium shaft I'd be a little upset…

The Upgrade Shaft is the Real Thing

The good news is that the HZRDUS shaft is the premium “Hand Crafted” model (silver label at left)…

shaft_closeup.jpg

Minor Criticism of Headcover

While nice looking, and seemingly well-stitched leather...

headcover_closeup.jpg

IMHO the side panels … which happen to be where the face of the club ends up … could be a little better padded…

headcover_closeup_side.jpg

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

FYI ... Updated my Stage 1 to include a section - copied in below - about the unboxing; had not yet received the club when I initially posted my Stage 1.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Stage One Addendum – The Reveal.

- Due to a back-order on the grip initially selected, the club arrived after posting Stage 1.

It's here .. yea! .. it's here!

attachicon.gifIts_Here!.jpg

And we open it up to reveal…

attachicon.gifopen_box.jpg

(Note: there's no wrench as this club has a bonded hosel.)

Minor Criticism of Packaging

The triangular box seems different than most other manufacturers use, and I guess is a part of this company's branding, but … if you zoom in on the first picture you'll notice the right side has been deformed in transit … and you can see in the “reveal” pic above there was no paper or bubble wrap around the shaft, nor is there any support/partition in the center of the box…

I'd be concerned if there were a case of severe mishandling in transit that real damage could occur to the shaft .. and if I'd just paid a few to several hundred $$$ for a premium shaft I'd be a little upset…

The Upgrade Shaft is the Real Thing

The good news is that the HZRDUS shaft is the premium “Hand Crafted” model (silver label at left)…

attachicon.gifshaft_closeup.jpg

Minor Criticism of Headcover

While nice looking, and seemingly well-stitched leather...

attachicon.gifheadcover_closeup.jpg

IMHO the side panels … which happen to be where the face of the club ends up … could be a little better padded…

attachicon.gifheadcover_closeup_side.jpg

Hey fancy shaft choice lol. What are the odds of us choosing the same shaft out of the whole list?

Hey fancy shaft choice lol. What are the odds of us choosing the same shaft out of the whole list?

Actually.... Gonna describe it more fully in another post, but the shaft was chosen for me via a fitting. What really strikes me as funny is I'm twice your age, half your size and one-eighth your athletic ability!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Hi CK!

I recognize that indoor bay! I took the golf PT program and some lessons there myself this offseason. I hope we can get a round in again this year. I was practicing the wedge game at the Crab yesterday and realized I hadn't been there since our round last year.

Great stage 1 reviews across the board.

Hey!!! Yeah, Golf & Body in Huntington. Would love to do another round at Crab! Anytime .. lemme know when you get an opening and can get out .. thx!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Actually.... Gonna describe it more fully in another post, but the shaft was chosen for me via a fitting. What really strikes me as funny is I'm twice your age, half your size and one-eighth your athletic ability!

Yeah golf is a wild sport sometimes. I was fitted too for this shaft. I may save some of the fitting details for a lead in to stage two (great minds think alike ) Hope you are able to get some time in with yours. This crazy Florida weather may keep me indoors for a few more days.

Quick question, is your club cover almost too tight? Mine can be difficult to take off sometimes. I hope it stretches out a little over time.

Yeah golf is a wild sport sometimes. I was fitted too for this shaft. I may save some of the fitting details for a lead in to stage two (great minds think alike ) Hope you are able to get some time in with yours. This crazy Florida weather may keep me indoors for a few more days.

Quick question, is your club cover almost too tight? Mine can be difficult to take off sometimes. I hope it stretches out a little over time.

Ha, yeah, exactly what i was thinking! ... a short story about the shaft fitting as a lead-in to the Stage 2 performance review. Oh, and raining on and off all week here, too........

On the headcover - no, did not notice that on the one that came with mine (possible ours are from different production runs?). Yeah, it's snug but still goes on and off without a lot of effort. 

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Hmmmm. OK, please do not tell me what your previous mental image of me was...!!

(maybe something along the lines of the Sean Penn character in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"..? :P )

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

(maybe something along the lines of the Sean Penn character in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"..? :P )

I'll fully admit to stereotyping here: I wasn't immediately connecting "surfdude" to "age 62." Good to be corrected! :-)

Sent from my LG-G5 using the MyGolfSpy mobile app.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

My head cover is definitely tight. Very hard to get on and off! Pain in the butt.

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Tensei CK Pro Blue 60... First time ever using a non OEM shaft.

Nice intro!

Were you fit for the shaft, particularly length? Just wondering after seeing the pics of the face, as the impact marks are all in the toe half of the face (nice consistency BTW).

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

My head cover is definitely tight. Very hard to get on and off! Pain in the butt.

I've noticed that headcovers of that type tend to need to be pulled on and off a bunch to loosen up. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Nice intro!

Were you fit for the shaft, particularly length? Just wondering after seeing the pics of the face, as the impact marks are all in the toe half of the face (nice consistency BTW).

Thanks! Not  for length. He said a standard length shaft would work for my 6'4" frame. I think  a lot of those initial toe hits were me reverting back to my old swing of "crushing" the ball. Hit the driver at the range the other day and was more center on impact.

Thanks! Not for length. He said a standard length shaft would work for my 6'4" frame. I think a lot of those initial toe hits were me reverting back to my old swing of "crushing" the ball. Hit the driver at the range the other day and was more center on impact.

This club at address really makes you want to swing for the fence.

I'll fully admit to stereotyping here: I wasn't immediately connecting "surfdude" to "age 62." Good to be corrected! :-)

Sent from my LG-G5 using the MyGolfSpy mobile app.

(maybe something along the lines of the Sean Penn character in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"..? :P )

What!?!?!?!?  I always thought your username was "PLANO" and that you were a tiny blonde that looked pretty good in a pink bikini and like picnics on the trunks of convertibles!

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

What!?!?!?!? I always thought your username was "PLANO" and that you were a tiny blonde that looked pretty good in a pink bikini and like picnics on the trunks of convertibles!

HA! Yeah, that's me .. yeah .. the hot blonde babe with the big 60s hair....

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

What!?!?!?!? I always thought your username was "PLANO" and that you were a tiny blonde that looked pretty good in a pink bikini and like picnics on the trunks of convertibles!

Lol, let me guess here. Are you a pilot?

Great job on stage 1 by all of you guys. I am definitely looking forward to following this thread. Keep up the good work!

Mizuno JPX EZ driver

Taylormade SLDR HL 3 wood

Mizuno JPX EZ hybrids 3 & 4

Mizuno JPX EZ Irons 4-G

Titleist SM6 Vokey wedge 54.10

Odyssey White Hot Pro V-line putter

I'm super jealous of that hand crafted shaft!!!

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Archived