TESTERS WANTED! ×

Driving Iron or Hybrid?

chisag

... Driving irons are pretty hot right now. Many better players have dropped their hybrids and added a DI. For the right player a DI can be straighter, lower launching and just as long or longer than a hybrid that usually spins more and launches higher. 

... I am a better with irons than I am with woods and a DI has been a real boon to my game. But not because a DI is a superior option, I have just never hit woods as well as my irons. I found it very interesting that playing against the best players in the world, that hit their DI's 300 yds at times, Webb Simpson had 2 hybrids in his bag, a 20* and a 23.5*. The lowest iron he had in his bag was a 5 iron and he clearly was the best player for 4 days at the Players Championship.  

... So if you hit woods well and certainly better than your long irons, a hybrid is still a great option. If you hit irons better than woods a DI can be a real game changer. And if you have a good all around game hitting irons and woods equally well, demoing both a hybrid and a DI is a very good idea.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly.  There is no absolute.

It also depends on what you are going to use the club for.  I wanted to us a DI so bad, but I just couldn't get consistent carry distance off the deck.  If I need a club to be a fairway finder off the tee and nothing else than a DI would work well for me, but I need it to be a bit more versatile.

I have been struggling for years trying to find a club in that spot that gave me everything I need.  Not only are their FWs, Hybrids, and DIs, but there are different types within each category.  There are hybrids that are more like FWs and hybrids that are more like irons.  I finally was able to find a hybrid that have me iron-like precision without sacrificing playability off different lies.

... Driving irons are pretty hot right now. Many better players have dropped their hybrids and added a DI. For the right player a DI can be straighter, lower launching and just as long or longer than a hybrid that usually spins more and launches higher.

... I am a better with irons than I am with woods and a DI has been a real boon to my game. But not because a DI is a superior option, I have just never hit woods as well as my irons. I found it very interesting that playing against the best players in the world, that hit their DI's 300 yds at times, Webb Simpson had 2 hybrids in his bag, a 20* and a 23.5*. The lowest iron he had in his bag was a 5 iron and he clearly was the best player for 4 days at the Players Championship.

... So if you hit woods well and certainly better than your long irons, a hybrid is still a great option. If you hit irons better than woods a DI can be a real game changer. And if you have a good all around game hitting irons and woods equally well, demoing both a hybrid and a DI is a very good idea.

I have had this debate many times and here is what I have found out. If you are looking for something to hit into greens then a hybrid or wood is much better. If you are looking for something off the tee or play in the wind alot driving iron is best.

I also struggled with hybrids untill I got fit for one. So many are very upright and hook biased. I got into a model that is not hook biased and found it to be a life saver now.

I use mine more to attack greens so I prefer hybrids personally.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Options are always a good thing.

I cannot hit hybrids. No matter what ones I have tried, I cannot do it. A driving iron is an interesting idea and probably something that would make sense for me to consider down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I have had this debate many times and here is what I have found out. If you are looking for something to hit into greens then a hybrid or wood is much better. If you are looking for something off the tee or play in the wind alot driving iron is best.

I also struggled with hybrids untill I got fit for one. So many are very upright and hook biased. I got into a model that is not hook biased and found it to be a life saver now.

I use mine more to attack greens so I prefer hybrids personally.

... Many of the current DI's are wider soled with weight low and rear and produce a high trajectory for those with higher swingspeed. I have no problem hitting my 19* DI high enough to hold the green and I can flight it low off the tee. But no doubt most will be better off with hybrids. 

One of the things that makes golf good is the various options to setup a bag that works well for ones game.

And there's tour players that game “GI” clubs in the longer irons instead of a matching set long iron.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Great post

We all swing the club differently and are fortunate to play the game at a time when lots of different options are out there.

The day of driver, 2 fairways, 3-PW, GW,SW or whatever form that standard bag took are long gone.

But it also means guys need to know their game. It may be romantic to want the latest Mizuno blade 2-PW. It may also be costing you strokes.

Know your game, know your numbers, know what types of clubs stand the best chance of performing for you.

That goes for putter too

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

... Many of the current DI's are wider soled with weight low and rear and produce a high trajectory for those with higher swingspeed. I have no problem hitting my 19* DI high enough to hold the green and I can flight it low off the tee. But no doubt most will be better off with hybrids. 

Do you consider you swing speed to be higher than average?  Speed really helps peak height with low lofted irons.  Slower swingers, like me, might be better off with hybrids.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

I love using the 3-iron from my Steelhead set as a driving iron, but realistically at 18 degrees, it's not easy to hit in any other situation. I do like having it for tighter holes or to layup with, but I don't think I'll ever want another low-lofted iron like this again. I have had hybrids in the past and done well with them, I would imagine a well fitted hybrid would be a better weapon for me. 

I think one of the reason that driving irons are becoming popular is that they are used on tour a lot. Lots of people consider themselves a step or two away from the big time, and therefore are going to play the equipment the pros use (blade irons, particular driver shafts, etc.). 

On another side, has anybody used the srixon one length driving iron? I feel like that thing might be fun at 7-iron length with driving iron launch and spin. 

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I hit my irons and woods about the same in terms of how well I hit them. I have a hybrid that I like, but I picked up a TM 3/driving iron the other day. It is straighter and definitely lower. I normally hit my hybrid about 215. I hit the DI for the first time on the course a couple days ago and blasted it 280. Now, it was a links style course so the fairways were running fast, but still... Going to play with it today on a parkland style course. I'll report back my findings.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I understand that modern driving irons are advertised to have technology which makes achieving higher trajectory easier.

But my observation is that only very high swing speed players are able to achieve much shot height trajectory when playing a driving iron. Mostly I've seen low trajectory shots which bounce and roll, similar to traditional long iron shots.

For players who do not have especially high swing speed I think more consistent shot results, with reasonably high trajectory, are easier with hybrids or fairway metals.

They definitely require a center or very close to center strike and yeah usually a someone with a higher swing speed. Imo they are still a demanding club that offers a little more forgiveness over the typical 2-3 iron

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Do you consider you swing speed to be higher than average?  Speed really helps peak height with low lofted irons.  Slower swingers, like me, might be better off with hybrids.

... While I would not consider myself a high swing speed player, at 101-103 with a driver at age 65 I am certainly higher than average. And as stated earlier, iron swings are the strength of my game so a DI type club works well for me. While some play their DI's with iron shafts, I have a hybrid shaft in both of mine. I play 4-pw P790's with Recoil 95 stiff shafts and have a P790 3 iron with an Even Flow 85Hy shaft in R flex that I tipped to play halfway between R and S which gives me a higher flight than the Recoils would. 

... And I agree that most players are better off with hybrids, ether wood like or iron like. You could even make the argument that the 18.5* King Utility that I play with a Rogue Black 85Hy shaft is more iron like hybrid than DI, while the P790 19* 3 iron is definitely a pure DI. 

Any recommendations on driving irons? I would like to try them

... The top of the list should include the King Utility that is adjustable and that can make a big difference in trajectory and one of the the reasons it is my favorite. Wilson FG Tour Utility, Mizuno MMC Fli Hi, Taylor Made original UDi and Srixon U45/65 are some that are on the more forgiving side of DI's. 

I bag a 23* U45 and I love it as my 4 iron replacement. I had a 20* as well but it was a little too one dimensional and I struggled hitting it off the deck. I have yet to find a hybrid that I get along with but I really need to find one. Right now I have a gap from my 5 wood at 17.5 down to a 23 degree 4 iron/utility. I am really struggling with second shots on par 5's right now. I have the length to reach most in 2 but I am not hitting my approach clubs in accurate enough with enough trajectory to hold smaller greens.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I bag a 23* U45 and I love it as my 4 iron replacement. I had a 20* as well but it was a little too one dimensional and I struggled hitting it off the deck. I have yet to find a hybrid that I get along with but I really need to find one. Right now I have a gap from my 5 wood at 17.5 down to a 23 degree 4 iron/utility. I am really struggling with second shots on par 5's right now. I have the length to reach most in 2 but I am not hitting my approach clubs in accurate enough with enough trajectory to hold smaller greens.

I was like you, my man. Then I found the Titleist h2 and gotta fitted for it. Now it's fighting to be my favorite club in the bag

I was like you, my man. Then I found the Titleist h2 and gotta fitted for it. Now it's fighting to be my favorite club in the bag

I am going to have to give one of those a try. I have never hit a Titleist hybrid before that I can remember but those look pretty good.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I am not consistent with either of the two off the deck. Currently looking into a fairway wood in the 21* loft area for my distance gapping.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I've gone back and forth. When I got my set of irons, I hit the hybrid about as far as the 5 iron even though it was a 3 hybrid. So, I ended up getting a 4 iron (single club) thinking that would help with a bit of extra distance. I hit it pretty well but always low and if I wasn't ball striking well, it got ugly. Recently the hybrid after 2 years of closet duty has found it's way in my bag. I hit it whenever I need a high shot or need to place a tee shot. It basically replaced my 4 iron as the go to driving club that's not a driver or 3W. 

I'm constantly tinkering so it'll be interesting to see if I drop the 4 or 5i for the hybrid.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I am not consistent with either of the two off the deck. Currently looking into a fairway wood in the 21* loft area for my distance gapping.

... I hear ya. I love to hit my DI off the deck on a par 5 when I am laying up or I can roll it on, like the conditions in Phoenix. Here in the lush Midwest it is more of a tee off or lay up into the wind club for me. Several of the courses I play regularly have 3 or 4 holes I use it off the tee and that makes it worth a slot in my bag right there. 

... I have only hit the H1, and since we seem to like much of the same stuff I am gonna have to demo the H2 when I get the chance. I am assuming you hit it more like an iron than a wood? 

... I have only hit the H1, and since we seem to like much of the same stuff I am gonna have to demo the H2 when I get the chance. I am assuming you hit it more like an iron than a wood? 

Yup.  I hit both at a demo day with multiple shafts.  H1 is definitely closer to a 5W look and launch.  The biggest reason I went H2 was that I was able to hit little fades with it and I had no issues with hooks.  I hit both with the Evenflow Blue and the Atmos and the Atmos gave me better contact every time.  I think my transition is a bit too much for the Evenflow Blue - similar to what I found in the the driver shaft.  I'd guess the Evenflow Blue 85 would be a nice hybrid shaft for you.

I've been playing the 19* at 20 degrees, but I actually just ordered the 21*.  I was carrying the 19* around 232 and rolling out to 247.  Bumping that up to 20 gave me 228 carry with a steeper AoD and less roll out.  I think I am going to take the 21* head and put it in the shaft of the 19* (1/2 inch longer than the 21* shaft).  I didn't want to take the 19* head up to 21* because I know that closes the face a little and the last thing I want is a mental though of a hybrid going left.  Heck, I might end up just keeping the 21* head in the 21* shaft if that gives me the carry and stopping power I am looking for.

I hit my irons and woods about the same in terms of how well I hit them. I have a hybrid that I like, but I picked up a TM 3/driving iron the other day. It is straighter and definitely lower. I normally hit my hybrid about 215. I hit the DI for the first time on the course a couple days ago and blasted it 280. Now, it was a links style course so the fairways were running fast, but still... Going to play with it today on a parkland style course. I'll report back my findings.

Okay, hit several tee shots today with the 3 iron. Average was about 220-230. I hit one shot from the rough. Went about 230 or so. Overall, pretty impressed. Dispersion is tighter and I didn't hit any wayward shots.

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I remember 25 years ago if you wanted a driving iron you went to KMart, grabbed an 18* Knight driving iron and that's pretty much all it was for, driving, you never really tried to use it from anywhere else. Now, these hollow iron head designs are everywhere and seem to be the direction most manufacturers are heading with their long irons, at least as an alternative to traditional long irons.

I've always been a pretty decent iron player but have never gotten along well with hybrids. The Hogan Ft. Worth Hi irons I just got are so easy to hit high and long, I think manufacturers are on the right path for players that like to hit irons instead of hybrids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

... The top of the list should include the King Utility that is adjustable and that can make a big difference in trajectory and one of the the reasons it is my favorite. Wilson FG Tour Utility, Mizuno MMC Fli Hi, Taylor Made original UDi and Srixon U45/65 are some that are on the more forgiving side of DI's.

I second this post. I picked up the King Utility and it is fantastic. When my driver isn't working I switch to this off the tee and I don't miss much.i also really liked the Mizzy Fli Hi as well. But the King Utility just beat it out.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Driver:  :cobra-small: F9, Project X Evenflow White T1100, 6.0 

3 wood:  :cobra-small:  F9, Fujikura Atmos blue,

3 hybrid:   :cobra-small:   F7 19.5 degree stiff flex

Irons: 4-pw   :mizuno-small:  JPX 919 KBS C-Taper  Lite shafts

Wedges:   :cobra-small:   King Black 50, 54, 60 degree KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Putters:  Odyssey O-Works  1w 34" w/ Superstroke counterbalanced Pistol GT 2.0 grip

I carry one of each. Love the DI if I absolutely need to hit the fairway or punch a low hook under some trees. My hybrid is basically a 5 wood sub. Get great distance and launch high.

Interesting topic, and one I've been mulling over for a while now.

Where I live way out west the wind is almost constantly an issue, with several holes facing upwind on my local course.

So while I'm quite happy with my bag, I'm thinking of ditching the 2-wood and adding either a 2hybrid or a Utility/Driving Iron in it's place.

I had settled on either the Cobra King Uitlity, Mizuno HiFli or the Srixon, and I really like the adjustability of the Cobra - but I'm also intrigued with the new Titleist hybrids.

I've been doing a bit of research for a few weeks now, and I'm still not convinced either way. ... But I will be following this thread, and interested in hearing comments both ways.

I have the Srixon U65 and titleist H2. Both are very good and highly recommended.

... While I would not consider myself a high swing speed player, at 101-103 with a driver at age 65 I am certainly higher than average. And as stated earlier, iron swings are the strength of my game so a DI type club works well for me. While some play their DI's with iron shafts, I have a hybrid shaft in both of mine. I play 4-pw P790's with Recoil 95 stiff shafts and have a P790 3 iron with an Even Flow 85Hy shaft in R flex that I tipped to play halfway between R and S which gives me a higher flight than the Recoils would. 

... And I agree that most players are better off with hybrids, ether wood like or iron like. You could even make the argument that the 18.5* King Utility that I play with a Rogue Black 85Hy shaft is more iron like hybrid than DI, while the P790 19* 3 iron is definitely a pure DI. 

You swing speed is definitely higher than average.  I have always wanted to try a lower lofted driving iron and like the idea of the hybrid shaft.  I was not sure if my swing speed would support that.  On a good day I can come close to 100mph with a driver but most days it is closer to the 95mph range.  The P790s are a great looking, tour proven option.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

Hopefully the stigma associated with hybrids/5w is long gone....

I recall when I first started playing that those type of clubs were for people that weren't very good and couldn't hit long irons;  seems like they were laughing all the way to the bank!  :0

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Archived