TESTERS WANTED! ×

Driving Iron or Hybrid?

chisag

I recently switched from a hybrid to a driving iron. The reason I made the switch is the same reason that I began to use the hybrid. The high flight and workability of the hybrid was a tremendous strength at first. However, with the wind picking up now where I play I switched to the driving iron to keep it low and straight.

Based on the merits however I would pick the hybrid all things being equal. It's easier to get the ball up, mishits aren't as punishing, there's a sense of confidence as well(even if theniron is better looking, and i don't have to worry so much about swing speed to get the ball in the air.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got on the voice caddie today and figured out the answer for this question, for me at least. While I prefer the look (and the thought) of the Srixon ZU45, it has been beaten out by a Titleist 816H1 23* hybrid. I averaged 207 carry with it and 207 with my Srixon Utility Iron, but I had no "drop" shots out of 9 with the hybrid and 3 out of 9 with the Utility iron. With dropped shots the utility iron average was down to 204 and the centerline would have been quite a bit worse.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

so I know this isn't an actual "driving" iron but it was a deal/experiment that I couldn't pass up. Callaway Apex CF16 3 iron in nearly new condition. Took it to my homies at PGATSS and they bent the loft down to 17° and lie +1 for free. I was only able to swing a few times due to my 6 month old deciding that he had other plans.. But it actually plays just like a UDI. Flight, distance, workability.. And get this.. $30! I'll go back tomorrow for a full LM session but I'm pretty jazzed about the find. inCollage_20180630_183619600.jpeg

Sent from my VS985 4G using MyGolfSpy mobile app

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I have been gaming a Cobra Bio Cell 2-3 Hybrid set to 16* for about 5 years. As my swing speed has dropped to 85-95, I found the Hybrid more suitable for low into the wind shots up to 205 yds. However, I had to replace it when I selected the Cobra F8's (Cobra Connect Challenge). You'll have to wait for the results......beginning in 7 days.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

so I know this isn't an actual "driving" iron but it was a deal/experiment that I couldn't pass up. Callaway Apex CF16 3 iron in nearly new condition. Took it to my homies at PGATSS and they bent the loft down to 17° and lie +1 for free. I was only able to swing a few times due to my 6 month old deciding that he had other plans.. But it actually plays just like a UDI. Flight, distance, workability.. And get this.. $30! 

... I think when you take a standard long iron with a loft of 20* or lower and add a hybrid shaft, you have built yourself a Driving Iron. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Who does THAT?

I'm on an iPad so I can't send a link but www.worldwidegolfshops.com. I abuse the crap out of the 90 days and they don't care but I go in store.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Um, yeah - it's not quite what you think.

A "90 day trial" would suggest they sell you a new set of clubs, and if during said "trial" period you can return them and get your money back. No questions asked. ... Kind of like test driving a car. ... And it's not that simple.

And it doesn't apply to "all" golf equipment.

Perhaps you should re-read their policies.

https://www.worldwidegolfshops.com/return-policy.aspx

I understand the policy. Yeah, you can't just go play clubs for 90 days and get cash back. But if you are in the market for a driver and are going to buy one anyway why not play it on course and if it isn't a fit return it and try another one at no additional cost? Has worked well for me but to each their own.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

... PGA Superstore has a 90 day performance policy that I have used on occasion. Basically a win win if the club is still in good shape as they sell it at 90% of the value still making a profit the second time around too. 

Guidelines for our Performance Guarantee are:

• The original receipt must be presented with any items being exchanged in order to receive full store credit. Clubs returned without the original receipt, or after the 90 day period, will be handled under the Pre-Owned Trade-In Program.
  • All new stock golf clubs purchased are qualified for the Performance Guarantee. Limited Edition products do not qualify.
  •  
  • Product may only be returned one time in association with the original purchase, for same type of product. After which, returns will be handled under our Pre-Owned Trade-In Program.
  •  
  • Clubs presented with normal wear and tear will be accepted; however, clubs returned with excessive wear or permanent damage (e.g. pop-up marks, dings, chips, etc.) do not qualify for the Guarantee.
  •  
  • Store credit given under the Guarantee must be used same day and may be used towards the purchase of same type of product. No gift cards are issued for store credit.
  •  
  • There is no minimum retail value to qualify for the Guarantee.
  • The PGA TOUR Superstore reserves the right to modify this program at any time without notification.
  • Pre-Owned club returns may only be exchanged under the Performance Guarantee policy.

Played with my coach yesterday and asked what he thought bout me adding one to the bag. He liked the idea especially after seeing how I hit my 3 iron off the tee.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

... I have played quite a few driving irons including Exotics Tungsten Pro, Wilson FG Tour V4, Srixon U45, Taylormade TP Udi and my favorite the Cobra Utility Iron. I picked up an Exotics CBX Iron Wood 17* 2 iron because I hit the 19* CBX 3 Iron Wood at the PGA show and was very impressed, and I have been waiting for a good deal on one. My typical trajectory is a mid-high flight with a ton of carry and I could flight them down to a nice mid trajectory into the wind. 

... First shot with the 17* Iron Wood was into a good 10mph wind and I was shocked at how low the flight was. Low trajectory but the ball just explodes off the face as the Iron Wood produces the USGA maximum allowed CT. I felt like Tiger hitting a low stinger that seemed to carry much longer than it should with that trajectory and roll forever, but did so taking a normal swing. And it ended up about 10 yds past my longest DI's on that hole. Hit it 2 more times with similar results and will need more time with it, but so far I am just in love with this club. I will post my results as I get in more rounds with it, but I think this might be a very special club.  

Had the day off today and went down to Cincinnati to look at a couple of golf stores to see if they had any driving irons and the second one I went to had them all! I got to hit the UDI along with many others. After hitting them I think I'm gonna go with the p790 but in a 3 iron with a graphite shaft. Might bend it a little strong if I need to

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Also heard that the UDIs are discontinued because a new one is coming out in a few months

... TM took the P70 UDi off the website* so I imagine they are out of stock and you will not see more til the new one is released, but ya never know. I do think the unless you need a lower trajectory, there is not a lot of difference between the UDi at 17* and the P790 3 iron at 19*. I found my P790 3 iron with a hybrid shaft to be an excellent DI. 

*Edit: it was added back on July 9

so I know this isn't an actual "driving" iron but it was a deal/experiment that I couldn't pass up. Callaway Apex CF16 3 iron in nearly new condition. Took it to my homies at PGATSS and they bent the loft down to 17° and lie +1 for free. I was only able to swing a few times due to my 6 month old deciding that he had other plans.. But it actually plays just like a UDI. Flight, distance, workability.. And get this.. $30! I'll go back tomorrow for a full LM session but I'm pretty jazzed about the find. attachicon.gifinCollage_20180630_183619600.jpeg

So I'm not 100% sure yet but I'm wondering if I made the right move.. When I bought this club I was almost 80% certain that I would be replacing the shaft. While the shaft that came with it is good, it was just the wrong flex and about 2" too short. The head was really what I was after and for $30 total.. it was still a no-brainer. I've been looking at different shaft offerings from Golfworks and was about to place an order for the Aldila RIP Hybrid (S) with a low/mid trajectory profile.. well I happened to be at Golf Galaxy one day and came across the Mits Kuro Kage Black 2nd gen iron shaft. I liked the weight of the iron shaft a tad better at 75g vs 82g in the hybrid and it was about $10 bucks less. I can't say that refraining from impulsive purchases is one of my stronger traits.. In the moment, now is always better than later.. in hind-sight, I most always should have just waited.. I know.. it's a first world struggle.. but it's real  :P. I did get a chance to play the shaft this past weekend and I'm not disappointed but my data isn't complete to form a conclusion yet and I'm just asking around to see if anybody has any experience with the shaft. As far as feel and consistency it feels fantastic and seemed very stable.. much smoother than I was expecting but definitely not a noodle. I really only had a chance to hit it at the range before the round and maybe 5 shots during the round. One shot was from a fairway bunker on a par 5 that I'm guessing went about 210+. Not the distance this club was built for but choked half way down from the bunker with the ball above my feet it did a great job. overall, I really wasn't sure though of my distance and spin, and the trajectory seemed to be a bit higher than I was hoping for. I realize that I might be a bit premature in my posting but is anybody at all familiar with this shaft? and more specifically for the purpose of either a hybrid or UDI? I've poked around the forum and can't really seem to find too much info. Thx as always!

GOB.PNG

MAXFLI  Tour CG

... You are preaching to many in the choir here. Experiments like yours is the bread an butter of tinkerer's. Big Stu will be so proud. :) Unusual combo's have a way of being a disaster or a miracle and the only way to find out is to try it. I too am looking forward to any responses and your long term results. 

... You are preaching to many in the choir here. Experiments like yours is the bread an butter of tinkerer's. Big Stu will be so proud. :) Unusual combo's have a way of being a disaster or a miracle and the only way to find out is to try it. I too am looking forward to any responses and your long term results.

So does that make me "little" Stu? that rings about as true as Little John in Robin Hood.. I'm 6'3" and 260 lbs.. But I'll gladly accept that moniker.

MAXFLI  Tour CG

... I don't pick nicknames, I just repeat them. ; ) 

Lots of interesting comments here.

one question I have is set up. Where in your stance do you place the ball?

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

For me it's about the same spot where my 4w is. Slightly in the middle

for me it just depends on the shot. If I'm off the deck and want a regular flight, I set up like I do my 3h. Ball to the front of my stance. Not quite off the left heal like a driver but maybe a foot width back. If I'm hitting off the tee and want it to fly high, I'll place a tad more forward. If I'm trying to fly it low I'll play more in the middle and maybe choke down 1". I guess this is one of the main reasons why this club is gaining more appeal.. It just has more versatility than a regular wood or maybe even a hybrid. I'm just getting started so I'll soon see how versatile the DI really is. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Off the tee I play it a little farther back in my stance than a three wood. If I play it farther forward I tend to hit it a little fat. If I play it to far back I can't get the club face to square.

Off the deck I play it just a little farther forward than a 4 iron.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Has anyone gone with a GI or SGI club instead of a "driving iron".  Other than offset there might not be that much difference but I could be missing something.  I currently game Ping I (e1) irons and need just a little more distance with my 5 iron and possibly 6 iron and would like higher launch and forgiveness for extra confidence.  Especially off a downhill lie.  A G700 iron with a graphite shaft seems like a good fit.  Higher launch and slightly lower spin for some extra distance.   What are your thoughts?

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

Has anyone gone with a GI or SGI club instead of a "driving iron". Other than offset there might not be that much difference but I could be missing something. I currently game Ping I (e1) irons and need just a little more distance with my 5 iron and possibly 6 iron and would like higher launch and forgiveness for extra confidence. Especially off a downhill lie. A G700 iron with a graphite shaft seems like a good fit. Higher launch and slightly lower spin for some extra distance. What are your thoughts?

It could work for sure. I currently use a TaylorMade TP CB 3 iron I bought a few years ago. It does do the job for me but I do lack the versatility of being able to hit it well off the deck which is why I'm looking into a real driving iron. I want to be able to attack some par 5s here and there for more chances at birdies and par.

Has anyone gone with a GI or SGI club instead of a "driving iron".  Other than offset there might not be that much difference but I could be missing something.  I currently game Ping I (e1) irons and need just a little more distance with my 5 iron and possibly 6 iron and would like higher launch and forgiveness for extra confidence.  Especially off a downhill lie.  A G700 iron with a graphite shaft seems like a good fit.  Higher launch and slightly lower spin for some extra distance.   What are your thoughts?

.... For many a lower trajectory is the main requirement for a driving iron, but if you need higher launch with more forgiveness a GI/SGI could work well for you. I tried it several years ago with an AP1 #3 iron at 20* and it just launched too high for me. 

Recently added one of these with a graphite shaft as my 4i to the bag (I use a 3 hybrid) and it is easy to hit, goes straight and a lot of fun to play!

Picked it up for 32 bucks on 3balls in like new condition and it looked like it may have been used 3 times.

I know it's not a typical low lofted driving iron but as a replacement for my 4 iron (24*) I am very happy.

cbproh.jpg

I managed to use it to get on the green in 2 on a par 5 and had a chance for eagle...that doesn't come along too often for me.  :lol:

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

• 3 months later...

Reviving this topic based in recent experiences. MGS is doing most wanted for driving irons sos I have had an opportunity to hit quite a few this week. My thoughts: not for me!

I was able to hit them well at times but for every well hit shot there was one that was a big slice or only carried 100 yards(well struck ones were in the 200-205 range)

I will say that the more I hit them the better I got so there probably is an adjustment period to figure out the proper swing. However, I don’t see an reason to replace my hybrids at this time.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I've been avoiding commenting on this topic, why? Because I've been cheating for months now by carrying 15 clubs in my bag, I dropped the 4 iron years ago in favor of a hybrid, but lately with all the hype about driving irons and GI long irons I decided to buy a low cost driving iron, which worked pretty well, then I decided to buy the matching GI 4 iron for my set, and I hit it about the same as the driving iron, but if I'm really honest, for my age and skill level the hybrid is the best choice, but ego and pride won't allow me to pull the set 4 iron out of the bag, so I've been playing for months with 15 clubs still trying to decide between the long iron or the hybrid, even though I know the hybrid is the right choice for my age and skill level.

I still haven't given up on the driving iron either, damn! I'm indecisive.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I've been avoiding commenting on this topic, why? Because I've been cheating for months now by carrying 15 clubs in my bag, I dropped the 4 iron years ago in favor of a hybrid, but lately with all the hype about driving irons and GI long irons I decided to buy a low cost driving iron, which worked pretty well, then I decided to buy the matching GI 4 iron for my set, and I hit I about the same as the driving iron, but if I'm really honest, for my age and skill level the hybrid is the best choice, but ego and pride won't allow me to pull the set 4 iron out of the bag, so I've been playing for months with 15 clubs still trying to decide between the long iron or the hybrid, even though I know the hybrid is the right choice for my age and skill level.
I still haven't given up on the driving iron either, damn! I'm indecisive.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I don't use my 4i since my 5i fits my needs along with my hybrids. However the lie makes a big difference as to when I use which club. In the first cut or rough I always go to my hybrids (they range from 19* to 26*), on the fairway most likely I'm using an iron. Guess it's just experimenting until you know and have confidence in what works best for you.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel