Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Driving Iron or Hybrid?

chisag

Hopefully the stigma associated with hybrids/5w is long gone....

I recall when I first started playing that those type of clubs were for people that weren't very good and couldn't hit long irons;  seems like they were laughing all the way to the bank!  :0

... Looooooong gone. Love watching Michelle Wie, that hits it farther than many men, using high lofted fairway woods to hit low stingers as well as high launching shots on tour. Lydia Ko has a bag full of hybrids and she has done OK with them in her short but decorated career. Since most am's game much more resemble the LPGA Tour, what they play has relevance for many forum members. And of course hybrids have spawned this newer generation of hollow headed and very forgiving DI's that have a shorter shaft for more control. There is something for everyone at the top of the bag now. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... While I would not consider myself a high swing speed player, at 101-103 with a driver at age 65 I am certainly higher than average. And as stated earlier, iron swings are the strength of my game so a DI type club works well for me. While some play their DI's with iron shafts, I have a hybrid shaft in both of mine. I play 4-pw P790's with Recoil 95 stiff shafts and have a P790 3 iron with an Even Flow 85Hy shaft in R flex that I tipped to play halfway between R and S which gives me a higher flight than the Recoils would. 

... And I agree that most players are better off with hybrids, ether wood like or iron like. You could even make the argument that the 18.5* King Utility that I play with a Rogue Black 85Hy shaft is more iron like hybrid than DI, while the P790 19* 3 iron is definitely a pure DI.

Sounds like we have a similar SS and age.

Did you iron set not have the 3-iron originally, and you added later on, with the more specific shaft, to specifically be the DI?

How far do you hit that? It sounds like my 19° Callaway 815 Hybrid. I hit that around 200-210.

But it gets decent air, and if I get lucky and actually hit the green, it will usually stick, unless they're really hard.

Does the 790 3-iron get a similar result?

I liked the 790's a lot, but found a set of AP2's on steelfibers that I couldn't pass up.

Those 790's are serious bank...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

... Looooooong gone. Love watching Michelle Wie, that hits it farther than many men, using high lofted fairway woods to hit low stingers as well as high launching shots on tour. Lydia Ko has a bag full of hybrids and she has done OK with them in her short but decorated career. Since most am's game much more resemble the LPGA Tour, what they play has relevance for many forum members. And of course hybrids have spawned this newer generation of hollow headed and very forgiving DI's that have a shorter shaft for more control. There is something for everyone at the top of the bag now.

It is awesome to have so many choices now to the point it can be confusing. I am still trying to sort out my bag makeup and I have several different options that I am looking at. Wish I had more time and constant Trackman access to speed up the process.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Sounds like we have a similar SS and age.

Did you iron set not have the 3-iron originally, and you added later on, with the more specific shaft, to specifically be the DI?

How far do you hit that? It sounds like my 19° Callaway 815 Hybrid. I hit that around 200-210.

But it gets decent air, and if I get lucky and actually hit the green, it will usually stick, unless they're really hard.

Does the 790 3-iron get a similar result?

I liked the 790's a lot, but found a set of AP2's on steelfibers that I couldn't pass up.

Those 790's are serious bank...

... I bought a set of P790 4-pw on eBay with C Taper's and re-shafted with Recoil 95's. Played over 50 rounds with them this winter in Orlando and Phoenix and absolutely loved them. So I found several more sets on eBay putting in lower bids and finally won a new set of 3-pw with DG105's and I am going to re-shaft the 4-pw with Recoil Prototype 95's in R Flex because the Proto's have less torque and a stiffer tip and play right between R and S. As an experiment I re-shafted the 3 iron with the Even Flow Blue 85hy but only have 1 round in with it. I hit it around 210-220 I think, as it was very windy and I hit it about 230 downwind and about 200 into the wind. Frankly it has an uphill battle to replace my King Utility. which I hit higher and longer but can also flight down, not as low as the P790 but low enough to play in the wind.  

Personally I am much better with woods and hybrids than I am with long irons. Which is why I carry a “2” hybrid (17 deg.) and a “4” hybrid (23 deg.) and then a 5 iron on down.

A friend of mine has a hard time with woods and hates hybrids, so he plays with a 2 iron thru PW.

All comes down to the individual.

On a side note, I end up in the rough a lot more than he does, so the hybrids fit my game a bit better there as well.

<p>WITB: All Wilson EverythingDriver:  :wilson_staff_small:  FG tour F5 9*3 wood:  :wilson_staff_small: FG tour F5 13.5*</p><p>Hybrids:  :wilson_staff_small: FG tour F5 17* and 23*5-GW:  :wilson_staff_small: C100 with KBS Tour V 100g shafts Wedges:  :wilson_staff_small: FG tour PMP frosted 54* and 58*Putter:  :wilson_staff_small: Lincoln ParkBall:   :wilson_staff_small: Duo SSP(testing) and :srixon-small:  Z-star

Does anyone here rotate depending on the course or conditions their playing in?

I have an old hybrid and a 2 Iron and there are certain courses I'll change up what's in the bag for that round.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Does anyone here rotate depending on the course or conditions their playing in?

I have an old hybrid and a 2 Iron and there are certain courses I'll change up what's in the bag for that round.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yep, DI for firmer fairways and windy conditions. Hybrid for courses with small greens guarded with bunkers.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I'm definitely a hybrid guy. I struggle badly with my long irons. I have a cobra F6 adjustable. I crank that about 200 yards easy

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

I can see how a driving iron can benefit a good player in certain situations. I can't see one having a home in my bag just because they don't fit my game. For shorter tighter course I'd be more inclined to swap in a 5 wood knowing that on windy days I am going to have to give up yards. I can't hit the low stinger well enough to try it on the course.

For the debate of DI v hybrid I have to side with the hybrid. Most of you know I am full team hybid and think that they offer more to the average golfer than a DI can. It I my understanding that the DI falls in between a long iron and hybrid in the ease of use and I am all about having the easiest to use clubs in the bag.

I can't say that I'll never use a driving iron though, it may be that I just haven't found one I like yet. It took me awhile to find a hybrid that I love.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I can see how a driving iron can benefit a good player in certain situations. I can't see one having a home in my bag just because they don't fit my game. For shorter tighter course I'd be more inclined to swap in a 5 wood knowing that on windy days I am going to have to give up yards. I can't hit the low stinger well enough to try it on the course.

For the debate of DI v hybrid I have to side with the hybrid. Most of you know I am full team hybid and think that they offer more to the average golfer than a DI can. It I my understanding that the DI falls in between a long iron and hybrid in the ease of use and I am all about having the easiest to use clubs in the bag.

I can't say that I'll never use a driving iron though, it may be that I just haven't found one I like yet. It took me awhile to find a hybrid that I love.

... I don't think it is a debate, more of a discussion about which one fits your game best. 

... I don't think it is a debate, more of a discussion about which one fits your game best.

Poor choice of words on my part. Should of said "my preference between"

I reread my comment and didn't mean for it to come across that way. I was sort of thinking in my head which club is better for my bag and why. Then I just typed out what came to mind.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Currently gaming "old" 18* Titleist 913H.d hybrid but I have been super intrigued at the idea of getting a DI with a graphite hybrid shaft for days when I need to hit a lot of non driver tee shots. Have a couple of buddies with this setup and they seem to just be fly machines. Only concern would be the obvious one of shots from the rough with it

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Currently gaming "old" 18* Titleist 913H.d hybrid but I have been super intrigued at the idea of getting a DI with a graphite hybrid shaft for days when I need to hit a lot of non driver tee shots. Have a couple of buddies with this setup and they seem to just be fly machines. Only concern would be the obvious one of shots from the rough with it

... Yup, I have said many times almost all clubs present some kind of trade off. I would not even attempt to hit my DI out of the rough. This is one area hybrids have a huge advantage over DI's. That said, I am rarely in the rough presented with a shot that will get me on the green using a hybrid. It happens every now and then where I gouge it out and it runs forever ending up on the green or fringe, but that is really pretty rare. For me at least, hitting a DI off the tee is just more accurate and longer than hitting a hybrid, unless it is downwind. If I could hit a hybrid as accurate off the tee as my DI, it would be in my bag. 

... I am playing one of my favorite Links Style courses today and faced with the following holes:

#2 a 90* dogleg left with several bunkers guarding the turn at about 215. I need to hit a tee shot in the fairway and as close to those bunkers as possible leaving me 90-100 yds in. Perfect DI hole. 

#11 another dogleg left with water guarding the entire left side right at the turn which is about 240 off the tee. Downwind or no wind I can get close to or past the turn with my DI. Into the wind I use my driver. 

#14 has the only tree on the course.  A huge Oak guarding a gentle right to left dogleg that takes up at least 1/2 of the fairway. To tall to fly over unless it os downhill. There is a lake along the entire left side, but OB right. You have no choice but to hit an almost perfect shot. If you have the ability to hit a draw with a driver, that is a good play but a DI just past the tree leaves me 150-120 in depending on the wind. I hit a DI every time after hitting a fe raws that didn't turn as much as I would have liked and bounced OB or against the fence forcing a top. 

... These 3 holes make a DI very useful for my game. Again, if I were as accurate with a hybrid as I am with my DI, I would use a hybrid. 

... Yup, I have said many times almost all clubs present some kind of trade off. I would not even attempt to hit my DI out of the rough. This is one area hybrids have a huge advantage over DI's. That said, I am rarely in the rough presented with a shot that will get me on the green using a hybrid. It happens every now and then where I gouge it out and it runs forever ending up on the green or fringe, but that is really pretty rare. For me at least, hitting a DI off the tee is just more accurate and longer than hitting a hybrid, unless it is downwind. If I could hit a hybrid as accurate off the tee as my DI, it would be in my bag.

... I am playing one of my favorite Links Style courses today and faced with the following holes:

#2 a 90* dogleg left with several bunkers guarding the turn at about 215. I need to hit a tee shot in the fairway and as close to those bunkers as possible leaving me 90-100 yds in. Perfect DI hole.

#11 another dogleg left with water guarding the entire left side right at the turn which is about 240 off the tee. Downwind or no wind I can get close to or past the turn with my DI. Into the wind I use my driver.

#14 has the only tree on the course. A huge Oak guarding a gentle right to left dogleg that takes up at least 1/2 of the fairway. To tall to fly over unless it os downhill. There is a lake along the entire left side, but OB right. You have no choice but to hit an almost perfect shot. If you have the ability to hit a draw with a driver, that is a good play but a DI just past the tree leaves me 150-120 in depending on the wind. I hit a DI every time after hitting a fe raws that didn't turn as much as I would have liked and bounced OB or against the fence forcing a top.

... These 3 holes make a DI very useful for my game. Again, if I were as accurate with a hybrid as I am with my DI, I would use a hybrid.

Check your PMs. Just sent you a message

• 1 month later...

So after reading through many of the posts here it sounds like I'm on the right track. I'm looking for a club to replace my 4 wood and alternate for my driver when needed. I rarely play from the tips because the guys I play with just aren't into it. Often times at the courses I play, I'm finding that bunkers are strategically placed to punish longer drivers.. as if to say.. "hold up there hotshot, you're not so fancy with your 280 yd drives now are you?.. either go back to the back tees or play smarter golf". So smarter golf it needs to be. My 3h is 19* and carries about 230.. but stops dead because of the height and spin. It's a great club for trying to hold a green on a par 5 or purposely lay up and place the ball. Wouldn't trade it for anything. My 4 wood however is really just taking up space in my bag and might get used once every 6 rounds. I'd really like to replace it with a club that has more versatility and the UDI seems to be the ticket. 

The 4 wood doesn't play much longer than my 3h and is much more inconsistent (hence why I just don't use it that much). I'm really hoping that a 17* UDI will help bring back more consistency to that gapping while giving me about 20 gross additional yards from my Hybrid and put me just short of those bunkers rather than in them. I'm sure there are other benefits to be had i.e. low drives in to wind, shaping capabilities, etc. 

I demo'd a tour exotics 3 19* iron wood last night which I was hitting a few yards farther than my hybrid off the deck. Off the tee was about +15 yds. The trajectory and dispersion were perfect! My guess is that if I could get my hands on a 17*, that should be money. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

So after reading through many of the posts here it sounds like I'm on the right track. I'm looking for a club to replace my 4 wood and alternate for my driver when needed. I rarely play from the tips because the guys I play with just aren't into it. Often times at the courses I play, I'm finding that bunkers are strategically placed to punish longer drivers.. as if to say.. "hold up there hotshot, you're not so fancy with your 280 yd drives now are you?.. either go back to the back tees or play smarter golf". So smarter golf it needs to be. My 3h is 19* and carries about 230.. but stops dead because of the height and spin. It's a great club for trying to hold a green on a par 5 or purposely lay up and place the ball. Wouldn't trade it for anything. My 4 wood however is really just taking up space in my bag and might get used once every 6 rounds. I'd really like to replace it with a club that has more versatility and the UDI seems to be the ticket. 

The 4 wood doesn't play much longer than my 3h and is much more inconsistent (hence why I just don't use it that much). I'm really hoping that a 17* UDI will help bring back more consistency to that gapping while giving me about 20 gross additional yards from my Hybrid and put me just short of those bunkers rather than in them. I'm sure there are other benefits to be had i.e. low drives in to wind, shaping capabilities, etc. 

I demo'd a tour exotics 3 19* iron wood last night which I was hitting a few yards farther than my hybrid off the deck. Off the tee was about +15 yds. The trajectory and dispersion were perfect! My guess is that if I could get my hands on a 17*, that should be money. 

... If you cannot find the 17*, as a potential alternative you could look at a new or even used P790 3iron. At 19* with an Even Flow Blue hy shaft, it is all the driving iron I can handle, although I have not hit the 17* P790 UDi. I did hit the 17* Exotics CBX  Iron-Wood and that one worked very well and I found it a little more forgiving than my P790. 

Be sure to check out the youtube channel TXG- Tour Xtreme Golf. Great fitting studio in Toronto and they have studied the fairway vs. hybrid vs. driving iron topic recently and it's very interesting.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I just recently replaced my 2 irons with a hybrid on the di looking side Adams 9031 proto and has made a big difference. It has giving me a lil more versatility then my 2 iron. Time will truly tell if it is here to stay...but so far I'm rather impressed. I've dabbled with keeping both in play and removing a wedge but that can be on a course by course bases...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I've started looking for a driving iron to replace my 3i. I'm in need of something that I can hit off the tee but also the deck for approach shots into par 5s. It's hard to decide cause no shops around here really have them in to look at

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I currently have a 3 wood and then a 21 deg hybrid. I rarely use my 3 wood because I'm just not consistent with it. If I'm not trusting my driver or its a short tight hole, then I just use 5 iron or hybrid off the tee. My new set of irons doesn't have a 3 iron, going to replace that with a 50 deg wedge instead. Now debating on which 2 of the 4 do I get. 3 wood, 5 wood, driving iron, or hybrid.

Driver: Titleist 917 D2
3 Wood: Titleist 904 F
Hybrid: 21 deg Cobra Baffler
4i-PW: Titleist 718 AP2
Wedges: Cleveland CG10 in 54 and 60 deg
Putter: Odyssey White Steel #1

Before I took my sabbatical, I preferred driving irons and actually used the MP FLI HI 2, 3. and 4 and a driver. No woods or hybrids. 

Then when I returned in April I found I did better with 3 wood and  3 hybrid, but since I got the 3 and 4 hybrid heads only together on an eBay deal, I decided to experiment with shafts and found I preferred the hybrids with my current swing.

Then I injured my shoulder in may and just got released on Friday, and started making full swing. I discovered yesterday, I am currently not swinging well enough to hit a 5 iron, so I have cobbled together an R11 5H from years ago.

So from all iron-like-hybrids or driving irons what ever you wish to call them, I now have a 3 wood set closer to a 4 wood, and 3, 4, 5 Hybrids. I don't know how long this set up will last, as I was just released to go back to work. I am not totally healed. Just not likely to do more damage by swinging the club.

I'm actually under doctor's orders to play golf, sort of, anyway. She said I should reach across by chest with my left arm extended and turn and then pull it back. I said "Like a golf swing!" she said "Yes, exactly." I said no problem, "I will do that exercise all weekend!"

After a horrible day with the irons yesterday, I stopped at the range and worked out my swing, but could not get the desired distance out of a 5 iron, so opting for more hybrids, at least temporarily.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Before I took my sabbatical, I preferred driving irons and actually used the MP FLI HI 2, 3. and 4 and a driver. No woods or hybrids. 

Then when I returned in April I found I did better with 3 wood and  3 hybrid, but since I got the 3 and 4 hybrid heads only together on an eBay deal, I decided to experiment with shafts and found I preferred the hybrids with my current swing.

Then I injured my shoulder in may and just got released on Friday, and started making full swing. I discovered yesterday, I am currently not swinging well enough to hit a 5 iron, so I have cobbled together an R11 5H from years ago.

So from all iron-like-hybrids or driving irons what ever you wish to call them, I now have a 3 wood set closer to a 4 wood, and 3, 4, 5 Hybrids. I don't know how long this set up will last, as I was just released to go back to work. I am not totally healed. Just not likely to do more damage by swinging the club.

I'm actually under doctor's orders to play golf, sort of, anyway. She said I should reach across by chest with my left arm extended and turn and then pull it back. I said "Like a golf swing!" she said "Yes, exactly." I said no problem, "I will do that exercise all weekend!"

After a horrible day with the irons yesterday, I stopped at the range and worked out my swing, but could not get the desired distance out of a 5 iron, so opting for more hybrids, at least temporarily.

... Good stuff, except for the injury of course. I think this is the most difficult slot in the bag to self fit. I like to use the LPGA as an example because their swings and distances are much more similar to the average or even better player than the PGA. And comparing two players that reached #1, Lydia Ko the most middle for swing speed uses quite a few hybrids as do many others while Ariya Gutanugarn with the highest swing speed uses a DI almost exclusively off the tee. Mo Martin, the most accurate player on the planet with the lowest swing speed has 3, 5, 7 and 9 woods in her bag and. So obviously they all work well but finding which works best for you is the challenge and some might argue part of the fun. 

... At the moment I have the best of all worlds as the Cobra F8 is the first 3 wood I can hit consistently from the turf, my 21.5* hybrid is versatile from the light rough or when I need a very high shot to land softly on the green and a 19* P790 3 iron with a hybrid shaft I use off the tee often, as well as from the fairway on lay ups and windy days. But like you, it is fluid and always changing. 

How does the udi look compared to the regular udi long iron?

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

How does the udi look compared to the regular udi long iron?

... My mistake Theoo. I have the regular P790 3 iron at 19* with a hybrid shaft in it. 

... My mistake Theoo. I have the regular P790 3 iron at 19* with a hybrid shaft in it.

Oh ok, did you have them bore it out or find a .355 hybrid shaft?

... I sanded down the tip on an Even Flow Blue hybrid shaft.

I have a Mizuno mp18 mmc flihi 2iron that I use on any par 4 under 370. I used have a hybrid that I couldn't hit at all. I find I hit my irons better than my woods. The 2 iron is my favorite club. By the way I carry my driver about 240.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

... At the PGA Show one of the most impressive clubs I hit was the Exotics CBX Iron Wood driving iron. "This revolutionary combination of the L-cup technology and powerful steel material delivers the USGA maximum-allowed CT. In fact, the CBX is the first hollow-style iron to achieve this maximum rebound benchmark!" The 17* 2 iron was very explosive and very long and I was surfed how easy to was to hit with a nice mid high or mid low trajectory, depending on blah placement in my stance. I knew I would be playing one sooner or later. I found a deal on eBay I could not pass up and should have mine next week. Fwiw, I have played the Exotics CB Pro Tungsten, Adams DHY, Mizuno Fli Hi, Wilson V4 FG Tour, Srixon U45, TM TP 20* Udi and Cobra King Utility driving irons and all of them had their strengths and weaknesses.  

​... There is often a difference between standing in one spot on the range when your swing is grooved and hitting the same club over and over again, and pulling it out on the course when you need a long but accurate drive on a tight hole. So I look forward to getting the CBX Iron Wood on the course to see if the impressive range performance can be duplicated on the course. 

http://www.exoticsgolf.com/products/cbxironwood.asp

... At the PGA Show one of the most impressive clubs I hit was the Exotics CBX Iron Wood driving iron. "This revolutionary combination of the L-cup technology and powerful steel material delivers the USGA maximum-allowed CT. In fact, the CBX is the first hollow-style iron to achieve this maximum rebound benchmark!" The 17* 2 iron was very explosive and very long and I was surfed how easy to was to hit with a nice mid high or mid low trajectory, depending on blah placement in my stance. I knew I would be playing one sooner or later. I found a deal on eBay I could not pass up and should have mine next week. Fwiw, I have played the Exotics CB Pro Tungsten, Adams DHY, Mizuno Fli Hi, Wilson V4 FG Tour, Srixon U45, TM TP 20* Udi and Cobra King Utility driving irons and all of them had their strengths and weaknesses.  

​... There is often a difference between standing in one spot on the range when your swing is grooved and hitting the same club over and over again, and pulling it out on the course when you need a long but accurate drive on a tight hole. So I look forward to getting the CBX Iron Wood on the course to see if the impressive range performance can be duplicated on the course. 

http://www.exoticsgolf.com/products/cbxironwood

yeah I smacked one of these at PGATSS last week and boy this thing is HOT! All they had was the 19* so I grabbed it just to see how it felt. Really nice! They're supposed to get a 17* in soon which is really what I'm after. The guys at the store were all geeked over this club.. I wasn't sure if they were just pushing something for a sales incentive so I grabbed the Titleist T-MB, Callaway X Forged-UT, and Ping Tour Crossover and this one hands down came out on top. Really ticked all the boxes. Can't wait to smash the 17*!

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I picked up a p790 UDI 2 when they launched to see if it would add a different option in my bag. I replaced a 19* M3. I have found that the versatility of the UDI is much better for my game. I have played a hybrid for years and while when I hit it good there were some good shots, it was not consistent enough, nor was it used enough on most golf courses. In fact the club I joined I usually only hit it once and that was just because it was in the bag. The UDI now has a permanent spot in my bag. I hit roughly 2-3 tee shots a round with it and usually at least one shot off the deck. The technology advances in UDI's has made it a huge advantage for me. The actual problem I am having now is that the UDI is only about 7 yards shorter than my 3 wood, according to Arccos. Obviously it is due to roll out however most of the time I will reach for the UDI to error on the shorter side. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Archived