chisag

Driving Iron or Hybrid?

I recently switched from a hybrid to a driving iron. The reason I made the switch is the same reason that I began to use the hybrid. The high flight and workability of the hybrid was a tremendous strength at first. However, with the wind picking up now where I play I switched to the driving iron to keep it low and straight.

Based on the merits however I would pick the hybrid all things being equal. It's easier to get the ball up, mishits aren't as punishing, there's a sense of confidence as well(even if theniron is better looking, and i don't have to worry so much about swing speed to get the ball in the air.

• Like 2

Got on the voice caddie today and figured out the answer for this question, for me at least. While I prefer the look (and the thought) of the Srixon ZU45, it has been beaten out by a Titleist 816H1 23* hybrid. I averaged 207 carry with it and 207 with my Srixon Utility Iron, but I had no "drop" shots out of 9 with the hybrid and 3 out of 9 with the Utility iron. With dropped shots the utility iron average was down to 204 and the centerline would have been quite a bit worse.

• Like 1

so I know this isn't an actual "driving" iron but it was a deal/experiment that I couldn't pass up. Callaway Apex CF16 3 iron in nearly new condition. Took it to my homies at PGATSS and they bent the loft down to 17° and lie +1 for free. I was only able to swing a few times due to my 6 month old deciding that he had other plans.. But it actually plays just like a UDI. Flight, distance, workability.. And get this.. $30! I'll go back tomorrow for a full LM session but I'm pretty jazzed about the find. inCollage_20180630_183619600.jpeg

Sent from my VS985 4G using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 7

I have been gaming a Cobra Bio Cell 2-3 Hybrid set to 16* for about 5 years. As my swing speed has dropped to 85-95, I found the Hybrid more suitable for low into the wind shots up to 205 yds. However, I had to replace it when I selected the Cobra F8's (Cobra Connect Challenge). You'll have to wait for the results......beginning in 7 days.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

so I know this isn't an actual "driving" iron but it was a deal/experiment that I couldn't pass up. Callaway Apex CF16 3 iron in nearly new condition. Took it to my homies at PGATSS and they bent the loft down to 17° and lie +1 for free. I was only able to swing a few times due to my 6 month old deciding that he had other plans.. But it actually plays just like a UDI. Flight, distance, workability.. And get this.. $30! 

... I think when you take a standard long iron with a loft of 20* or lower and add a hybrid shaft, you have built yourself a Driving Iron. 

• Like 2

Golf Smith used to have some sort of policy like that... Worked out well for them

Who does THAT?

I'm on an iPad so I can't send a link but www.worldwidegolfshops.com. I abuse the crap out of the 90 days and they don't care but I go in store.

Um, yeah - it's not quite what you think.

A "90 day trial" would suggest they sell you a new set of clubs, and if during said "trial" period you can return them and get your money back. No questions asked. ... Kind of like test driving a car. ... And it's not that simple.

And it doesn't apply to "all" golf equipment.

Perhaps you should re-read their policies.

https://www.worldwidegolfshops.com/return-policy.aspx

I understand the policy. Yeah, you can't just go play clubs for 90 days and get cash back. But if you are in the market for a driver and are going to buy one anyway why not play it on course and if it isn't a fit return it and try another one at no additional cost? Has worked well for me but to each their own.

... PGA Superstore has a 90 day performance policy that I have used on occasion. Basically a win win if the club is still in good shape as they sell it at 90% of the value still making a profit the second time around too. 

Guidelines for our Performance Guarantee are:

• The original receipt must be presented with any items being exchanged in order to receive full store credit. Clubs returned without the original receipt, or after the 90 day period, will be handled under the Pre-Owned Trade-In Program.
  • All new stock golf clubs purchased are qualified for the Performance Guarantee. Limited Edition products do not qualify.
  •  
  • Product may only be returned one time in association with the original purchase, for same type of product. After which, returns will be handled under our Pre-Owned Trade-In Program.
  •  
  • Clubs presented with normal wear and tear will be accepted; however, clubs returned with excessive wear or permanent damage (e.g. pop-up marks, dings, chips, etc.) do not qualify for the Guarantee.
  •  
  • Store credit given under the Guarantee must be used same day and may be used towards the purchase of same type of product. No gift cards are issued for store credit.
  •  
  • There is no minimum retail value to qualify for the Guarantee.
  • The PGA TOUR Superstore reserves the right to modify this program at any time without notification.
  • Pre-Owned club returns may only be exchanged under the Performance Guarantee policy.

Played with my coach yesterday and asked what he thought bout me adding one to the bag. He liked the idea especially after seeing how I hit my 3 iron off the tee.

... I have played quite a few driving irons including Exotics Tungsten Pro, Wilson FG Tour V4, Srixon U45, Taylormade TP Udi and my favorite the Cobra Utility Iron. I picked up an Exotics CBX Iron Wood 17* 2 iron because I hit the 19* CBX 3 Iron Wood at the PGA show and was very impressed, and I have been waiting for a good deal on one. My typical trajectory is a mid-high flight with a ton of carry and I could flight them down to a nice mid trajectory into the wind. 

... First shot with the 17* Iron Wood was into a good 10mph wind and I was shocked at how low the flight was. Low trajectory but the ball just explodes off the face as the Iron Wood produces the USGA maximum allowed CT. I felt like Tiger hitting a low stinger that seemed to carry much longer than it should with that trajectory and roll forever, but did so taking a normal swing. And it ended up about 10 yds past my longest DI's on that hole. Hit it 2 more times with similar results and will need more time with it, but so far I am just in love with this club. I will post my results as I get in more rounds with it, but I think this might be a very special club.  

• Like 2

Had the day off today and went down to Cincinnati to look at a couple of golf stores to see if they had any driving irons and the second one I went to had them all! I got to hit the UDI along with many others. After hitting them I think I'm gonna go with the p790 but in a 3 iron with a graphite shaft. Might bend it a little strong if I need to

Also heard that the UDIs are discontinued because a new one is coming out in a few months

... TM took the P70 UDi off the website* so I imagine they are out of stock and you will not see more til the new one is released, but ya never know. I do think the unless you need a lower trajectory, there is not a lot of difference between the UDi at 17* and the P790 3 iron at 19*. I found my P790 3 iron with a hybrid shaft to be an excellent DI. 

*Edit: it was added back on July 9

so I know this isn't an actual "driving" iron but it was a deal/experiment that I couldn't pass up. Callaway Apex CF16 3 iron in nearly new condition. Took it to my homies at PGATSS and they bent the loft down to 17° and lie +1 for free. I was only able to swing a few times due to my 6 month old deciding that he had other plans.. But it actually plays just like a UDI. Flight, distance, workability.. And get this.. $30! I'll go back tomorrow for a full LM session but I'm pretty jazzed about the find. attachicon.gifinCollage_20180630_183619600.jpeg

So I'm not 100% sure yet but I'm wondering if I made the right move.. When I bought this club I was almost 80% certain that I would be replacing the shaft. While the shaft that came with it is good, it was just the wrong flex and about 2" too short. The head was really what I was after and for $30 total.. it was still a no-brainer. I've been looking at different shaft offerings from Golfworks and was about to place an order for the Aldila RIP Hybrid (S) with a low/mid trajectory profile.. well I happened to be at Golf Galaxy one day and came across the Mits Kuro Kage Black 2nd gen iron shaft. I liked the weight of the iron shaft a tad better at 75g vs 82g in the hybrid and it was about $10 bucks less. I can't say that refraining from impulsive purchases is one of my stronger traits.. In the moment, now is always better than later.. in hind-sight, I most always should have just waited.. I know.. it's a first world struggle.. but it's real  :P. I did get a chance to play the shaft this past weekend and I'm not disappointed but my data isn't complete to form a conclusion yet and I'm just asking around to see if anybody has any experience with the shaft. As far as feel and consistency it feels fantastic and seemed very stable.. much smoother than I was expecting but definitely not a noodle. I really only had a chance to hit it at the range before the round and maybe 5 shots during the round. One shot was from a fairway bunker on a par 5 that I'm guessing went about 210+. Not the distance this club was built for but choked half way down from the bunker with the ball above my feet it did a great job. overall, I really wasn't sure though of my distance and spin, and the trajectory seemed to be a bit higher than I was hoping for. I realize that I might be a bit premature in my posting but is anybody at all familiar with this shaft? and more specifically for the purpose of either a hybrid or UDI? I've poked around the forum and can't really seem to find too much info. Thx as always!

GOB.PNG

• Like 2

... You are preaching to many in the choir here. Experiments like yours is the bread an butter of tinkerer's. Big Stu will be so proud. :) Unusual combo's have a way of being a disaster or a miracle and the only way to find out is to try it. I too am looking forward to any responses and your long term results. 

• Like 2

... You are preaching to many in the choir here. Experiments like yours is the bread an butter of tinkerer's. Big Stu will be so proud. :) Unusual combo's have a way of being a disaster or a miracle and the only way to find out is to try it. I too am looking forward to any responses and your long term results.

So does that make me "little" Stu? that rings about as true as Little John in Robin Hood.. I'm 6'3" and 260 lbs.. But I'll gladly accept that moniker.

... I don't pick nicknames, I just repeat them. ; ) 

Lots of interesting comments here.

one question I have is set up. Where in your stance do you place the ball?

• Like 1

Lots of interesting comments here.

one question I have is set up. Where in your stance do you place the ball?

For me it's about the same spot where my 4w is. Slightly in the middle