Driving Iron or Hybrid?

So here's the Dynacraft 18°. Bought it tonight for $30. I really think that the specs on the hireko site are off. As you can see, the offset is quite minimal. I put it side by side with my 4 iron (middle) and my Callaway Apex 2 iron (left). The Apex offset is much more aggressive. Can't wait to put this thing into action!1116181847a.jpeg1116181927-1.jpeg

Sent from my VS985 4G using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

20 hours ago, strokerAce said:

one other consideration - at least for me it was - are you a sweeper or do you take a full divot?

I'm more of a sweeper and just "bruise" the ground and that makes a hybrid more comfortable.  I suppose if I took a bit more of a divot a driving iron might be more comfortable?

... While it is better to take a divot with both a hybrid and a DI, sweeping any hybrid with good contact will produce good results and even balls hit a hair thin will suffer very little with a hybrid. Otoh a DI can also be hit with excellent results just brushing the ground but shots hit thin will suffer much more than the hybrid, as will shots hit toward the toe. So while there is some truth to there being a difference between sweeping or hitting down and thru, a more accurate determining factor is ball striking. With most hybrids and DI's you can get away with marginal to poor ball striking using a hybrid but not with a DI that pretty much needs good contact to perform, so that alone will mean the majority of golfers will probably have better results with a hybrid.

... And of course as you stated above, comfort and confidence is paramount to hitting any shot. I just feel I will be more accurate using a DI compared to a hybrid. But you look at the top players on the LPGA Tour, which more resembles Am's swing speeds and you see players like Lydia Ko, Mo Marin and even Michelle Wie among many, many others that are laser accurate with multiple hybrids in their bag. 

• Like 1

Driver:     :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 10.5* ... AD-IZ 6SR
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Hybrids:    :taylormade-small: SIM2 Hybrid 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-9 MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 46*/50*/58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

So here's the Dynacraft 18°. Bought it tonight for $30. I really think that the specs on the hireko site are off. As you can see, the offset is quite minimal. I put it side by side with my 4 iron (middle) and my Callaway Apex 2 iron (left). The Apex offset is much more aggressive. Can't wait to put this thing into action!1116181847a.thumb.jpeg.059dcd48c44d4d4086518a98119c4cee.jpeg1116181927-1.thumb.jpeg.798d0036eaadc25f003eaeb414c9860a.jpeg

Sent from my VS985 4G using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I would have to agree with you on the specs possibly being wrong, I have a 21-degree dynacraft DI that I assembled for under $30, and to my eye it appears to have a very moderate amount of offset. It's actually a pretty nice hitting club, especially for the price.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 7:40 AM, mooremikea said:

Has anyone gone with a GI or SGI club instead of a "driving iron". 

I went with a Wilson 1200GE 1 or 2 iron until the PRGR 200i came out with big fanfare.

Early Pings before that.

For me, the driving iron,    or GI long iron  used as one,    like the driver and putter,    was a one-trick-pony.

I only played it as an alternative to hitting driver on tight driving holes.

Sometimes I carried a one-trick-pony sand iron as well, which brought the total  of one-trick-ponies  to four.

I never worried about overlapping lofts if the clubs were shot-specific.

Ten clubs were usually enough for a linear loft progression.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 1:08 PM, Miketheripper said:

I would have to agree with you on the specs possibly being wrong, I have a 21-degree dynacraft DI that I assembled for under $30, and to my eye it appears to have a very moderate amount of offset. It's actually a pretty nice hitting club, especially for the price.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

took this thing to PGATSS to get a feel and collect a bit of launch monitor data. Holy schnikes this thing is a hot rocket! Off the deck, avg carry around 230 with about 15 yds of roll out. Spin was mid-high 3's with a height of around 30 yds (that's armor piercing right thur!). Off the tee, the spin was a tad higher, distance was about an extra 5-10 yds but with less roll out and about the same total distance. These are the exact #'s that I would want to see from a UDI. Not to mention, the feel and overall performance far exceeded my expectations for something that I paid $30 for. I've had a chance to hit a "few" of the other UDI's on the floor (Exotics CBX iron wood, TM P790, Callaway X forged, Ping Crossover, Mizuno MMC, Cobra King UT, Titleist 718, and Srixon Z U85 (pretty much 70% of the MGS most wanted UT iron testings) and I'd put money on it to say that this would stand its ground with anything on the market and for $30-$40 this wins the bangs-for-bucks category by a landslide. So stoked about this find! 

• Like 4

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG