TESTERS WANTED! ×

Dad Golfer Ideas

cohuck2018

I am the father of 2 young boys that have shown lots of interest in the game by watching golf with me and swinging the plastic/real clubs all over the house and yard but obviously the game of golf can be long and boring to a young mind. What are some ways that some of you have found to keep kids interested without playing full or even 9 hole rounds at young ages. Just trying to think of ideas because I don't want them to get discouraged on things. Many thanks for any advice!

I brought my son out with me and I let him do what he wanted, within reason. If all he wanted to do was putt, that's what he did. Likewise with teeing up every ball for him in the fairway, or letting him look for balls, or just sit in the cart and drink some water.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Go Gamecocks.

I have a young daughter. Almost 3. But she loves to ride in a golf cart. Or just organize my various styles of golf balls. I take her to local practice areas when they are empty and we just play around. Mostly looking at wildlife. She still way to young to understand the concept. It's just fun to see her feel comfortable in these surrounding. Around the age of 10 was when my father introduced me to a driving range and a par 3 course. I got hooked. He didn't have to do too much because I always wanted to go after the introduction. Around that same age we would play for a milk shake at Dairy Queen. Still a great bet.

I will attach some pics of an easy putting green my daughter likes to play on with or without a putter. I get fun out of the putting green as well. This backyard putting green only took me one Sunday afternoon and it was well under $100 of material. IMG_5346.JPGIMG_5347.JPGIMG_5351.JPG IMG_5344.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love that backyard putting green idea. Looks pretty simple enough as well. I let them play around on my putting aid by trying to putt or just running up and dropping the ball into the hole because it runs back out of the feeder back to you. I'm going to give that a try...basically its fabric, then the soft work out mat padding, and then the green turf? Did you buy legit putting green turf or just like stuff from Lowes/Home Depot?

Hey cohuck2018-

I have two young boys that come to the course with me all the time. My 8 year old would spend all day there, especially the par 3 course and chipping/putting area that we are fortunate enough to have at our facility. He loves the big course, too, though. He tees off from around 250 yards on par 5's, 200 yards on par 4's, and from the front tees on par 3's, and it works out that he can play the holes by himself now like they are the correct pars (he has been coming with me for a few years to get to this point). 

His younger brother is 4, and he would actually prefer going onto the big course right now. He loves sitting in my lap to help me drive the golf cart, tees off from the back tees with me, and then we just pick up his ball and toss it down where I end up. If there is a water hazard, we have contests to see who can make the biggest splash hitting the ball in (be sure to bring some bad balls that you don't mind losing!). We look for turtles and tadpoles in the ponds/lakes, listen to his music, and just enjoy being out there. 

The biggest advice I could give you would just be sure to make it fun for them. Bring snacks, listen to music, and make up games that they can win (like putting contests for candy where they start from 10 feet and you start from 50...even give them shots if they need them to beat you). Let them hit mulligans if they have a bad shot. Don't take your score seriously when they are out there with you. And most of all, don't coach them at all. Just let them watch you and other people play and you'll be amazed how much they pick up on their own. Then, if they start enjoying it and want to practice more, find them a good junior program where they can get instruction. Keep your time with them all about fun!

Driver: TS3, 9* (C1 setting, surefit cartridge in fade setting)

3/4 Wood: 917D2, 16.5 degrees (D1 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2, 19 degrees (C3 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-Iron (23 degrees); Mizuno MP-18 SC 5-iron(26) and 6-iron(30); Mizuno MP-18 7-iron(34), 8-iron(38), 9-iron(42), and P Wedge(46). Nippon Modus 120x shafts. 1 degree upright.

Wedges: Mizuno S-18 50, 54, and 58 degrees. 50 is 1 degree upright, 54 and 58 are standard lie. Nippon Modus 120x, soft stepped in the 54 and 58.

Putter: Evnroll ER1

Right-handed

Atlanta, GA

Make simple games with chipping or putting.. Closest to the pin, first to hole one, etc. Change it up so it keeps their interest.. But, their interest may not lie with golf so encourage them to find their sport. My daughter did the junior PGA program which made me happy but her heart was into figure skating so I went with it.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I love that backyard putting green idea. Looks pretty simple enough as well. I let them play around on my putting aid by trying to putt or just running up and dropping the ball into the hole because it runs back out of the feeder back to you. I'm going to give that a try...basically its fabric, then the soft work out mat padding, and then the green turf? Did you buy legit putting green turf or just like stuff from Lowes/Home Depot?

Yeah just a 6x8 piece from Lowe's. It runs like a putt putt green. Think it was $17.

I would recommend laying the foam pads out first and glueing the turf along the top before laying it down. This will keep it tight. I got some water/air pockets over time between my turf and pads. Still super easy and cheap way to do something outside with the kids

Backyard chipping or driving nets. Indoor putting green. PuttPutt or other miniature golf course.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I love the little chipping nets from amazon. They're cheap and you can make a game out of it for them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

My son started coming out on the course with me when he was about 2 years old and now 10 years later he still loves the game.  When he was really young I let him putt if he wanted to putt, hit balls when he wanted to and just ride along when he wanted to.  Now when we go out he generally plays 9 holes on his own ball and we play the back as a scramble or alternate shot to keep him engaged and not get bored. At home I have a net that he can hit balls into as well as a putting green for him to roll putts on.  

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I am the father of 2 young boys that have shown lots of interest in the game by watching golf with me and swinging the plastic/real clubs all over the house and yard but obviously the game of golf can be long and boring to a young mind. What are some ways that some of you have found to keep kids interested without playing full or even 9 hole rounds at young ages. Just trying to think of ideas because I don't want them to get discouraged on things. Many thanks for any advice!

I guess depending on the ages of your boys, this may or may not be of interest. Sometimes my ticket out of the house is to take my 5 year old daughter. First off, I try my hardest to find a course that's pretty open where I can play solo. We bring her little putter along so she can drop a ball on the green and hockey stick her ball to the hole. Usually it's an exec course which helps reduce the time. Every so often I let her pick a ball from the used bin.. usually something pink or bright yellow.

Lastly, this is the main suggestion.. I made a golf bingo card for her. (If interested I can post a pic). I think it has a total of like 36 boxes and I called it "BIRDIE" instead. The boxes are filled with golf course related items like ducks, broken tees, fish, water, lost golf balls, pine cones, rabbits, etc. The goal of course is to get a bingo by finding the objects and there's always a daddy/daughter treat after if she wins.. (which she always does). This is something to help keep her little mind engaged on the fun things about the golf course and distract her from the boring bits. She loves it and even asks when we get to go golfing.. pretty much all the time. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I read a great tip to encourage kid practice: have them chip into metal trash cans. They love the noise! Makes it fun and a good shot is rewarded with noise and laughter.

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

I have two daughters (10 and 17) that play, and I'm a volunteer coach for The First Tee.

When we play together, I have my 10 year old tee off from wherever I hit my tee shot on par 4s and 5s. She plays par 3s from the forward tees. She's getting to where she's a little too close to the green on some holes, but she has a ball.

Check out SNAG equipment for the yard: http://shopsnagpros.americommerce.com/store/c/18-Single-SNAG-Clubs.aspx

SNAG baseball is a blast, and it's a great way to learn how to swing the club and hit the ball.

And don't get discouraged if they decide they don't like it. My oldest stopped playing at age 11, not long after she was diagnosed with diabetes. She took it back up her freshman year in high school.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I guess depending on the ages of your boys, this may or may not be of interest. Sometimes my ticket out of the house is to take my 5 year old daughter. First off, I try my hardest to find a course that's pretty open where I can play solo. We bring her little putter along so she can drop a ball on the green and hockey stick her ball to the hole. Usually it's an exec course which helps reduce the time. Every so often I let her pick a ball from the used bin.. usually something pink or bright yellow.

Lastly, this is the main suggestion.. I made a golf bingo card for her. (If interested I can post a pic). I think it has a total of like 36 boxes and I called it "BIRDIE" instead. The boxes are filled with golf course related items like ducks, broken tees, fish, water, lost golf balls, pine cones, rabbits, etc. The goal of course is to get a bingo by finding the objects and there's always a daddy/daughter treat after if she wins.. (which she always does). This is something to help keep her little mind engaged on the fun things about the golf course and distract her from the boring bits. She loves it and even asks when we get to go golfing.. pretty much all the time.

The bingo card is a great idea and I would love to see it....did you create it like on the computer and just print it off?

Thanks everyone for all of the ideas! I will get some of them going for sure...my problem now is keeping them away from "Daddy's Clubs" which they always seem to want to hit since I am hitting them haha. 

My son at around age 4 and at age 12.  Still loves the game and has become a good little player.

image1.jpeg

Video.MOV

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

The bingo card is a great idea and I would love to see it....did you create it like on the computer and just print it off?

So the rules are that these items have to be found outside the golf cart and not on us

and I guess it was EAGLE not BIRDIE. No copyrights so feel free to modify or use :P 

EAGLE.JPG

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

So the rules are that these items have to be found outside the golf cart and not on us

and I guess it was EAGLE not BIRDIE. No copyrights so feel free to modify or use :P

That is awesome! Thanks for that will put this in use for sure.

Archived