TESTERS WANTED! ×

The saga surrounding Oregon HS players DQ'd for teeing off on the wrong tees

STUDque

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/bizarre-turn-in-story-of-dqed-high-school-golfers-players-administrators-say-rules-official-told-them-to-hit-from-wrong-tee-then-denied-it/amp

Screen%20Shot%202018-05-16%20at%209.10.5

Whoa whoa whoa. This is something new. And bizarre. And tragic. And disappointing.

The article itself is a great read and totally worth your time but I'll give you all the Cliff Notes in case time is not on your side.

-Oregon High School State Tournament (Blue Tees)

-Group approaches 13th (unlucky 13!) tee

-Blue tees are playing 212 but scoresheet states 175

-Group asks coach who asks rules official

-Rules official tells this group, along with the next 2 groups to play from the Red (172) tees

-Different rules official sees the third group play the hole and calls them on the infraction

......and then the drama starts.

The 12 golfers heard nothing of the matter until after they had entered their scores and the leaderboard was posted with DQ next to each of their names. When questioned, the first official denied telling them to play the wrong tee. DENIED IT. How childish is that!? Man.....

This whole encounter is bizarre. It's tragic because the high school kids were robbed of a finish at the tournament (some may have even been seniors). It's disappointing because the guilty party didn't own up to his mistake.

Isn't this what golf is supposed to be about? Honor, integrity, and owning up to your mistakes?

The course has egg all over their face right meow because that's a hell of an oversight by the course to either mark the scorecard wrong or place the tees inproperly. The USGA said 'too bad' because the kids technically didn't play the course. In their defense, there would've been no solution they could've come up with (aside from turning back time) that could've kept all parties involved happy.

So what do you guys think of this situation? What would you have done if you were in any of these individuals shoes?

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Thanks for posting the article Stud, this is a bizarre incident that could have been avoided. Not coming to anyone's defense, but I. Am pretty sure the kids had never played combo tees in a tournament so that should have been suspect for the coach. USGA does state that you may replay the Hole if accidentally you used the incorrect tee.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

The bum that gave them all the wrong information and then denied doing it should be stripped of any credentials and banned from officiating again.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

If I'm the marshall, I own my mistake and intercede on the behalf of the players. Not that it will change anything. The rules are the rules, and it's the player's responsibility to know them. Which is why the way the kids handled it is really impressive.

The sad thing here is that the regular scorecard is proofread thoroughly and used mainly by chops and hackers who play for fun and don't strictly follow the rules. Tournament cards can't get that level of attention but have so much more riding on them. I hope tournament organizers start noting on rules sheets that scorecards may be inaccurate. Play the designated tees regardless.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

The insistence of no wrongdoing by the volunteer is rediculous in the face of multi-faceted corroboration. Fortunately this story is getting the oxygen it needs to avoid penalizing the kids long-term

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G400MAX Driver 10.5* w/ Kuro Kage S

:callaway-small:  XR16 3W w/ MF AT S

:callaway-small:  XR OS 19* Hybrid w/ FS Evolution II 565

:titelist-small:  4-PW AP3 w/ TT AMT Black

:vokey-small:   SM6 50.8 F w/ TT Dynamic Gold

:callaway-small: MD3 56.12 W w/ TT Dynamic Gold

Tommy Armour Impacty Series #3 Alignment Putter

Ogio GROM Black

This is the kind of nonsense that makes my blood boil. Common sense is thrown out the door while the players actively pursued the correct tee. The rules of golf are an antiquated mess.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

The official who denied saying it is a coward for not owning up to his ruling.

The ids did the right thing by asking but on the other hand the entire tournament was being played from the blues and I would have assumed in that situation to play blues an may have considered talking to the group about playing a ball from the red and recording both scores than clarify at the scorers tent.

It does suck that the boys got dq'd over a mistake made by either who ever did the score card and/or placed the tee markers and the rules officials

Hopefully all parties learn from this

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The real head-shaker is the lack of honesty on the part of the officials.

Let's get real here folks. The stakes are incredibly low. Just step forward and say, "You know what I made bad call and screwed up when I told them to tee from the reds. I feel terrible I'm sorry." At least the players would feel some vindication despite being DQ'd. The lack of honesty is the real insult.

I'm not surprised the kids looked at the scorecard yardage. You think a high schooler loves hitting from 212 when he can hit from 172. Plus you look at the scorecard ahead of time in a tourney to plan out your round—on the drive up to the new course. Then you show up and see the hole is 40 yards longer - you start asking questions.

Plus a high school kid is going to do what an adult tells them.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

At the end of the day it's nice to read that the kids took the high road and took it in stride....but imagine if this was a US Open qualifier?

A couple things stood out... 

1 - for a state tournament why do you have volunteers....and volunteers that don't know what they're doing?

According to Pete Weber, Oregon School Activities Association executive director, the rules official on the 13th hole was a volunteer

2 - wrong.... this is exactly the point; golf is a sport of integrity and honesty (you call penalties on yourself!) so those that weren't honest need to be held accountable.

"Focusing on who said what to whom at what point or assigning blame to the players and/or adults misses the point."

A huge lesson learned by not only the kids involved but everyone in any sort of golf tournament that means something.  If there's a situation where there is confusion involved HOLD UP THE ENTIRE TOURNAMENT to get an absolute and clear decision from the lead rules official (or whatever they're called) so there is utterly no ambiguity once the round is over.

.....or they could always use the goat caddies and blame it on the goat.   :lol:

https://www.oregonlive.com/expo/erry-2018/05/72cc427b148847/now_you_can_golf_with_a_goat_c.html

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

This is why I never look at the yardage on the scorecard. This is called "setting up the course." The tees aren't going to be in the same place every single time. These kids are old enough to to figure out which tees to play from. If they say blues, play the blues. No questions asked. Seems like a silly mistake that could have easily been avoided.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

One thing I just thought about.....

That group said they were the 7:57 tee time which probably means that nearly the entire tournament was behind them. Could you imagine if Rules Official B never came through to identify the infractions? Or if he'd come through another 30 minutes later?

You'd have a situation where most of the tournament participants are DQ'd due to Rules Official A's gaff since he was actively directing players to the red tees. Now THAT would've been a precedent setter. Common sense would be to have the whole tournament play the 13th over. Oh man the drama would be palpable as the groups go back through there. Especially if the leaderboard is tight.

Knowing USGA, that could just as easily end up prohibited in lieu of an extremely limited field (or vacant) champion citing "rules are rules". That would be a weird trophy to display for whoever came out on top of that.

One thing I just thought about.....

That group said they were the 7:57 tee time which probably means that nearly the entire tournament was behind them. Could you imagine if Rules Official B never came through to identify the infractions? Or if he'd come through another 30 minutes later?

You'd have a situation where most of the tournament participants are DQ'd due to Rules Official A's gaff since he was actively directing players to the red tees. Now THAT would've been a precedent setter. Common sense would be to have the whole tournament play the 13th over. Could you imagine the drama as there groups go back through there? Especially if the leaderboard is right.

Knowing USGA, that could just as easily end up prohibited in lieu of an extremely limited field (or vacant) champion citing "rules are rules". That would be a weird trophy to display for whoever came out on top of that.

I've never played high school golf or played in a tournament so this may be a little off base, but shouldn't there be a disclaimer that if there are any discrepancies or questions at any point in time during the tournament then ask person "X" and whatever their decision is becomes binding?

I realize that common knowledge is to check with a rules official but it seems that unless things are in writing nowadays they really have no meaning.

BTW - if the 'volunteer' on 13 wasn't sure why couldn't he just say hang on, get the head dude on the horn and get a ruling ???

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Wow. I had seen the story before but the volunteer official giving bad info and not owning up is huge. Completely changes things. I feel terrible for those kids.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

This is an unfortunate event and the volunteer should be ashamed of himself. I hope he has trouble sleeping at night. That being said IT IS the responsibility of the player to play the correct tees. This is something you learn as you gain experience as a tournament player. If nothing else they should have invoked rule 3-3 and figure it out at the end. Never compare scorecard yardage to actual yardage on course, it changes too often. The only blame to place on the rules of golf is the fact that once the course is setup it cannot be changed. Common sense says that since the first 3 groups played the wrong tees that the tees would have been moved and everyone would have played from those tees. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

To answer your question, an on course decision (right or wrong) made by an authorized Official is binding. For example, en route to winning a US Open an on course official wrongly gave Els line of play relief from a movable obstruction. Since the mistake was made by the Official, Els was not penalized for his breach of the Rules.

Regarding the Oregon high school play situation, I read the story as a "volunteer" (not necessarily a Rules Official) was on the course giving guidance to the players and coach (es). If in fact this volunteer had no Rules Officiating authority, then his guidance and, or, decision would not protect the players from a breach of the Rules.

That being said I think that the coach of the team is getting a big pass here.... if he had prepared his team for things like this I don't think they'd be in this predicament.

He's probably not a Patriots fan though - coach Belichick prepares his team for every single possibility .... like the Seahawks passing at the goal line instead of running the ball.  :lol:

But seriously - the coach deserves some of the blame.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I believe the author of the story wrote that it was the first group out (and the two groups that followed them), so a total of 12 players, who were disqualified.

I think they were playing three to a group because I thought I read somewhere that four full groups were DQ'd.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I coached HS golf for a few years and I'm 100% not surprised at this.There was such a lack of organization at all tournaments that everyone just sort of hoped for the best. It seems that there is a very easy answer to avoid this sort of confusion and that is quite simply to remove the other tee markers before the tournament tees off. There are already volunteers out there so just send one in a cart to move all other markers off to the side then go back and replace them after the event moves through.

The official in question has shown very poor judgment and character and should be banned from future events. The cover up is always worse than the crime, just admit you screwed up and take the heat for it.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I coached HS golf for a few years and I'm 100% not surprised at this.There was such a lack of organization at all tournaments that everyone just sort of hoped for the best. It seems that there is a very easy answer to avoid this sort of confusion and that is quite simply to remove the other tee markers before the tournament tees off. There are already volunteers out there so just send one in a cart to move all other markers off to the side then go back and replace them after the event moves through.

The official in question has shown very poor judgment and character and should be banned from future events. The cover up is always worse than the crime, just admit you screwed up and take the heat for it.

That's a very good point. Heck, I've played in charity scrambles with just one set of tees out there. Being a state tournament, there's probably enough participants that the course is basically shut down for the day anyway......which would make it even easier to do this.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Your teams were lucky to have someone like you as a coach. My HS coach never played a round of tournament golf in his life. Same for my daughter's coach.

In general, HS golf is not well coached.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Your average person reads this story and is turned off about golf. These kids got screwed. What happened last year to Lexi Thompson was a travesty. Guys getting penalties for s*** people see on TV... GFY.

Did they tournament hand them something other than the golf courses own score cards? If so, why? And if every other player in the tournament played from a tee box that 20yrds longer than the published hole distance on the official card, aren't they in violation?

Yes, the easy answer is to have an official marker of some type that is easily recognizable. Couldn't cost much to cut up a bunch of 2x2s and paint the host schools initials on it.

Rounds per year: 80-90. 

Handicap: 11.6

In my Bag:

Driver - Taylormade SLDR (Adjusted 1/2 to the draw side and 8* loft)

Fairway Woods: 3 & 5 Taylormade SLDR

Irons 4-AW: Taylormade M2 (2016)

Wedges: Volkey SM6 56* and SM7 60*

Balls: ProVx - preferred, Calloway Chrome second.

Holes in one: None  ;)

Albatross: ONE!  :D

Eagles: Many

Favorite golf slogan: It's a target game, not a distance game. 

Your teams were lucky to have someone like you as a coach. My HS coach never played a round of tournament golf in his life. Same for my daughter's coach.

In general, HS golf is not well coached.

Unfortunately golf at the HS level is often a chance for a veteran teacher or administrator to earn a few extra bucks. There is little to no regard for qualifications. I was fortunate in that a friend of mine was the veteran teacher and his budget allowed him to have an assistant coach for a few years so I got to help out.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

This story is fantastic in the multiple story lines and angles you can take. From blame throwing, to admiration for the reaction of the players, to gripes about ancient rules, it is incredible.

At the end of the day, HS sports is about teaching young people how to deal with and prepare for the world. Also, it reveals character. It is a shame that those 12 students had their season end in that fashion, but it is such a reflection on the real world. So many times you can receive advice from well meaning people that ends up being totally incorrect. I hope that the young people are able to learn and grow, and the adult make things better in the future by using many of the common sense ideas mentioned in this thread.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I think it's helpful to remember that this situation was caused by three inexperienced people at the par 3 13th hole tee box:

#1) the high school player who questioned whether the 13th hole blue tee blocks were correctly positioned. 

#2) the coach who did not know enough to tell the player that the Rules for the day were to play from the blue tee blocks

#3) the volunteer marshal/spectator who for some reason believed he was authorized to offer guidance

Forgot one...

#4) the golf superintendent who set the course up for tournament play.  If he had the tees in the right spot to begin with #1,#2,#3 become irrelevant

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Yes, the easy answer is to have an official marker of some type that is easily recognizable. Couldn't cost much to cut up a bunch of 2x2s and paint the host schools initials on it.

They already have this. It's called the Blue Tee Marker. It was at the top of the tournament rules sheet. Quail Valley has a top notch staff, and outstanding pro, Doug Hixson.

It's a terrible situation for the high school kids. No doubt about it.

The lesson here is, read the rules sheet.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Your average person reads this story and is turned off about golf. These kids got screwed. What happened last year to Lexi Thompson was a travesty. Guys getting penalties for s*** people see on TV... GFY.

Did they tournament hand them something other than the golf courses own score cards? If so, why? And if every other player in the tournament played from a tee box that 20yrds longer than the published hole distance on the official card, aren't they in violation?

I think the issue is that prior to the first tee, at the tournament meeting, ALL coaches and players were given rules sheets, and they were ALL told that the tournament would be played from the blue set of tees. I think since they were given some incorrect information by an “official” voluntary or not, they should have been able to redo the hole.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived